Sign in to follow this  
Pac

Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad

You just need to tone down your expectations...a lot.

Coming from your past posts in this thread, this made me laugh... A Lot. :D

Think of players as ICBMs, steer them in the right direction and let them do work.

:D

I find orders via ingame voice to be far more effective.

It´s just not properly used that much .. more often you hear peoples chit-chat :o

With orders directed via the command rose it always comes down to a tiny message in lower left corner of the screen, as soon i look there instead of concentrating on the twitch battle going on before me, i end up dead lol

edit:

Maps are too small also to issue orders. You go forward or you don´t, thats it.

With bigger maps the game may shine...

We´ve had a few appartment matches that were over in just about 2 or 3 minutes, don´t remember exactly but it was damn fast. (... Xeno might have a proper schedule over his victories there :p )

With rounds like that tactics are null and void.

Either your teammates know what to do or you loose.

Edited by Mr Burns

I've been successful in issuing orders on 64 man servers.

You just need to tone down your expectations...a lot.

What I usually do is say "I need men on the right side of X". I know 32 players aren't going, but I'll get 4 or 5 which is enough.

Think of players as ICBMs, steer them in the right direction and let them do work.

Thays about right...

(... Xeno might have a proper schedule over his victories there :p )

:p

I like Apartments and with the right team it really needs just a few minutes to win it.

Xeno

Nothing pissed me off worse on Apartments than being the only german actually contesting A or B cap right at the wall, only to have half the russian team overrun me while the other half split to infiltrate C and D caps....all the while 30 of my german teammates are in the middle apartment playing vassily saitzev...

Then when A and B were capped C and D began capping. Then it's too late.

Have you guys played the two community maps released so far?

Ogledow I didn´t like at all. Too big (without transport), tanks with those damm aimbot AIs and too ugly.

Butovo (or whatever) in the other hand is a nice map to play. While is not that big compared to the DH maps, is bigger than the default maps and the combat is really fun, you have more space to make manouvers and a "big" frontline is formed. Try this one out if you can.

Any game I get into anymore is all bots and maybe 5 human players. The playerbase for Red Orchestra has really dwindled down to the core fanbase by now.

I've been playing singleplayer missions over while waiting for Rising Storm.

The core fanbase doesn't play RO2. It is the few guys that never played RO1 who actually think RO2 is a good game. There aren't many fans of RO1 still playing RO2.

Red Orchestra 2

(..)Combine that with what we always do...... Contests! While we don't have any dates ready yet, one can assume that content creation contests for the RO 2 SDK are in the works and creators might want to get an early start!

(...) What you can expect with this one is the first of several maps we are working on as well as the Multiplayer Campaign feature, allowing users to fight across the entire battle of Stalingrad! This mode allows the teams to choose what territories to attack or to decide to defend while they hold an advantage and let their enemies grind themselves to death in the cold hard winter.

While we continue to work on bugs and improve features already existing we have been looking at the wants and needs of the various groups in the community. Now before you start gathering the pitchforks and lighting the torches, on to the subject that many of you want to know more about. The so called "RO Classic (Community named it, we didn't! And no, that is only the working title)

(...)

The current plan involves keeping most of the new features of RO 2, however one of the main and most requested items is the removal of the weapon upgrade system and replacing it with a standardized loadout. I can confirm that we will be implementing a system like this for the new mode. And no, we have not yet finalized specific loadouts and weapon availability.

(....)

Along those lines, while nothing is final yet we are looking into stances, the stamina system, and their relationship with each other for this mode as well. So stay tuned to these weekly announcements as things firm of for more detail and information.

Full post: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=74870

Rising Storm

And, as a little extra, we are now inviting applications for beta testers, so we have a team ready for when the beta testing starts in March: http://www.risingstormgame.com/beta-tester-application - so head on over!

Full post: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=74821

Disaster, then I think it's something wrong with them... or they should play ArmA or Project Reality. Running for kilometers through empty open space, epic-bullshit joke-CQB and animations more stiff then me with an umbrella up my ass aren't really BETTER in any way then pretty fluid and actually presenting the essential battle, RO2. (connect those adjectives with RO1, not mentioned ArmA or PR)

Haters gonna hate, most of the "RO 1 fanbase" didn't focus on outmanouvering enemy, didn't talked through mics, wasn't interested in any kind of team cooperation. "RO 1 was realistic" my ass, not when players act like on public domination games. Fuck that "fanbase". (I exclude anyone who enjoyed RO 2, but got bored by all the same maps over and over again)

RO 2 require tactics and cooperation and promotes it. It's also 20x times less stiff, better animated and fluid, every "chokepoint" can be flanked or taken from the rear. If You have a 6-8 men team which fight together you stand in great chances to win the battle. And I've yet, through like year or two of RO 1 and DH, FAILED to see that. Yet in "arcade'y" RO 2 or FH2 I saw that pretty often.

Therefore conclusion is: Don't got fooled by people, who doesn't really get what's it all about. RO 2 rocks and leave RO 1 far behind. Period.

Nicholas - when I play, there's usually 5-6 full servers, ranging from 64 to 32 players. Sort the list by clicking a tab :) or adjust filters.

Nah the RO1 fanbase actually preferred RO1 over OFP/ArmA etc. because it was more fluid than those games.

And ofcourse they do think RO2 improved on some aspects, controls and fluidity of movement being one of them. The cover system, the bullet penetration, all that stuff is loved by the fans of RO1.

What makes RO2 a big disappointment however is the unlock system which is FUBAR (no drum mags for PPSH, no bayonet for rifles etc. untill they are unlocked), and more importantly crap weapons like the MKB which is over-used (even more so before the patch that removed some of them, there were more MKB's than MP40's for christ's sake) and destroying authenticity. The leveling up of statistics making players faster than others is hated because it takes away the fairness that was present in RO1.

One simply should not be able to win because he played a few hours longer and thus his rifle was reloaded faster than that of the other player.

These are systems in place that ruin the feeling of RO2, but there are also design choices which make RO2 a twitchfest. No sway after sprinting for instance, the lack of player momentum, and the speed at which player can go into ironsights really do not help gameplay.

People sprint around corners, stop to a complete standstill without delay and are immediately in raised ironsights. What a game based on realism should enforce is players slowing down, going into ironsights before an encounter in preparation, move carefully and cover corners.

As a result RO2 lacks that feeling of playing 'shooter-chess' that you had in RO1.

It is a game that is not realistic enough for the core fanbase, and yet still too realistic for the mainstream and because of that the player base is dying off rapidly. It's not just the rocky launch that got RO2 to where it is today.

This is by no means to say that RO1 was a perfect game, but it's gameplay even though controls were not as fluid as in RO2 is far superior. It is more tactical, even though I think it is far too easy to fire from the hip in RO1.

Oh, that reminds me. Ever tried to hipfire the LMG in RO2? It's fucking ridiculous. There is almost no recoil, it is a better attack weapon than the MP40. And that is saying something.

Edited by SiC-Disaster

If they manage to actually make the "Ro Classic" mode happen, then it might save the game. I actually bought the game because it was supposed to be slower paced "thinking mans" game as someone in the twi forums said. Well turns out it was just the opposed. a game where lightning fast reflexes wins the game for you:j: I´m waiting for the pacific assault mod which should be cool.

Disaster, then I think it's something wrong with them... or they should play ArmA or Project Reality. Running for kilometers through empty open space, epic-bullshit joke-CQB and animations more stiff then me with an umbrella up my ass aren't really BETTER in any way then pretty fluid and actually presenting the essential battle, RO2. (connect those adjectives with RO1, not mentioned ArmA or PR)

Haters gonna hate, most of the "RO 1 fanbase" didn't focus on outmanouvering enemy, didn't talked through mics, wasn't interested in any kind of team cooperation. "RO 1 was realistic" my ass, not when players act like on public domination games. Fuck that "fanbase". (I exclude anyone who enjoyed RO 2, but got bored by all the same maps over and over again)

RO 2 require tactics and cooperation and promotes it. It's also 20x times less stiff, better animated and fluid, every "chokepoint" can be flanked or taken from the rear. If You have a 6-8 men team which fight together you stand in great chances to win the battle. And I've yet, through like year or two of RO 1 and DH, FAILED to see that. Yet in "arcade'y" RO 2 or FH2 I saw that pretty often.

Therefore conclusion is: Don't got fooled by people, who doesn't really get what's it all about. RO 2 rocks and leave RO 1 far behind. Period.

Nicholas - when I play, there's usually 5-6 full servers, ranging from 64 to 32 players. Sort the list by clicking a tab :) or adjust filters.

So many falacies that I don't even want to reply, but, I see you worrying about a NEW (besides the old one) gameplay mode that will be implemented, and that's really strange, maybe you think that the community will start playing that mode and leave alone the old one?, and you will not have fun?, I don't get it.

And about maneuvering, at least in the old RO there were chokepoints that could be defended by MG's or something, now that doesn't happen on RO2, now it's all about infiltrating and killing from behind.

February 7th Update Notes

General

Made a number of improvements to ammo resupply points

Bots now have more variation in the spawn points they select

Achievements for single player campaign progress should unlock properly now

Reduced range of the rifle bash attack. Bayonets are unaffected.

Fixed occasionally invisible binoculars when using them as a melee weapon

Fixed some situations where teammates could not resupply machine gunners. (e.g. if the MG was not the currently equipped weapon)

Fixed max audio channels setting not always working correctly in the settings menu

Fixed a bug where some voice chatter would play from somewhere other than the location of the person speaking

Stability

Players still encountering stability problems can now use our new automatic crash reporting system! (read more at: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.co...ad.php?t=75253)

Added additional debug information for crashing during startup

Modders can once again unsuppress logging without causing the game to crash

Various crash fixes based on player reports

Full post: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=75292

"What we are up to" - Feb 3rd edition

Our goal is to provide a experience more similar to that of RO 1 while retaining the improvements to RO 2. We are not trying to create an exact RO 1 copy.

(...)

This mode will be an additional mode complimenting Normal and Realism.

The mode, while featuring no weapon or player upgrades or perks, will be ranked.

(....)the Squad Leader will be loosing his access to sub-machine guns and semi-automatic rifles to bring the ratio in line. The weapons selectable by each class will also more closely reflect that of RO 1 with PPSH w/ drum mag being the standard loadout and many of the other weapons not having access to their upgrades or limited to a specific upgrade (such as weapons with bayonets for that functionality)

We are also looking at the inclusion of the Elite Assault role back into the game in case the creator of a map wants the MKB/AVT to be available.

This is the list we are currently looking at:

PPSH w/drum mag and select fire (Level 3)

Kar98 w/bayonet (Level 2)

Kar98 Sniper w/4X scope (Level 1)

Mosin Nagant Sniper w/3.5X scope (Level 1)

G41 Sniper w/4X Scope (Level 2)

SVT40 Sniper w/3.5X scope (Level 1)

MP40 with single 32 round mag (Level 1)

MKB42 with bayonet (no scope) (Level 1)

P38 Pistol (Level 1)

C96 w/10 round mag (Level 1)

MG34 w/50 round drum (Level 1)

MG34 Tripod (no ranking anyway)

PTRS (Level 1, no ranking on this anyway)

Pzb 784 ® (Level 1, no ranking on this anyway)

MN 9130 w/bayonet (Level 2)

G41 (W) w/bayonet (Level 2)

SVT40 w/bayo (Level 3)

AVT40 w/bayo (Level 2)

TT33 (Level 1)

M1895 (Level 1)

DP28 (Level 1)

Maxim 1910 (no ranking anyway)

All other weapons and equipment as normally given (binocs, satchels, smoke nades, etc)

This is once again a look at the initial changes we are going to make for the mode and take feedback on in beta:

Removal of peripheral action indicators

Removal of spawn on Squad Leader

Removal of the bleeding system (Player will always take 100% of the damage to an area on the shot and not half then bleed the rest out like in the current system)

Players will have a movement speed penalty after being shot in the feet

Stamina will have a much greater effect on weapon sway and recoil

Stance will have an increased effect on weapon sway/recoil (with the default standing state having more sway then the current game modes)

Removal of "controlled breathing" zoom, but retaining the functionality to help steady the weapon as well as the slight iron sight zoom

Stamina will recharge at a slower rate

No AI Tank Gunnery

No Lockdown

Full post: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=75146

One interesting custom map:

fwKRUl.jpg

Full post: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?p=1018868#post1018868

I am one of those that LOVED RO1 (specialy DH) and really liked RO2. It was an improvement in every area of the game, just need some tweaks.

And while we are at it, always found tactical teamplay in both RO1 (in special in DH) and RO2.

IMHO RO2 is the "next gen" shooter instead of BF3, just look at those intuitive cover system, fluid movimentation and animations.

I would really like to se a modern warfare mod\game (ala Insurgency) with those mechanics.

(I exclude anyone who enjoyed RO 2, but got bored by all the same maps over and over again)

RO 2 require tactics and cooperation and promotes it.

Agreed there for me, I just dont go on the game by myself any longer, always have someone who will hop on and start a good hard working squad and in RO2 people seem more obliged to work with you when they see you working in tandem with another squad member , just wish i had more guys to play with!

I doubt many Roosters (including myself) consider RO OST as realistic, but compared to RO2 it is away more realistic in many ways, in others its not. My opinion about RO2 is quite the opposite. RO OST was stiff? Yes, and RO2 is really a lot more fast paced than RO1. This is not jus an opinion, its a fact and it can all be verified. You can sprint up and down from stairs faster than Bolt, quickaim, take a hit and bandage yourself in one second. The HUD details are increased with tactical view and stuff like that. The lockdown timer really keep the pace up, increasing the run and gun behaviour. People run around blasting their MkB or hipshooting the MG, while others rely on their fancy gadgets, and perks such as ability to throw grenades longer or aim more steady. The pace is so high that there is often really no need to teamchat. The map design is terrible. Every map is really small and tunnelshooter like. Some maps are unplayable if there is more than 20 people on it. The game mechanics really ruins the whole game. Its a shoot and die spawnfest. Its a twitching shoooter where every bullet and unlock counts. No long lasting battles, just quickmatches that reminds me of playing COD WAW.

You can say all you want that RO2 leaves RO1 behind but the simple truth is that for anyone that expects RO2 to be a spiritual sequel are dead wrong. Its a game that tried to be itself and at the same time trying to reach out to the arcade crowd. Its not much more realistic or more team based than RO1 at all. Its really the opposite IMO. Now im just waiting for the RO CLASSIC mode to be released.

I'm not going into detail but what I will say is that I definitely preferred RO OST over RO2.

I'm not going into detail but what I will say is that I definitely preferred RO OST over RO2.

RO2 one makes is a bit depressing , and lets me know im going to brutally get killed.

NacroxNicke, I forgive you. Maybe you were tired, or something.

I never said I'm against RO Classic mode. I'll be happy to try it.

Some of you guys raised valid points. I dislike the quickbandaging too, I know and dislike the hipshooting mg no-recoil thing, I'm also kinda against unlocks and "perks" (it's good to have mode that gives everyone "equality", maybe except the morale system); Tho saying maps are "tunnel like" is unbelivable to me, they are very open and IMO designed very good (I'm still not sure about Fallen Fighters balance), giving so many options for flanking that it's almost impossible to succesfully cover them all (RO 1 maps were SO BAD. It was either an industrial or urban sensless tunnel meatgrinder a.k.a. nadespamfest or big pseudo open maps which were a tunnel anyway: flanking through an open field wasn't exactly the coolest thing ever); TBH except few maps and rushing when lockdown timer occurs, it wasn't that much of a CoD'er to me, but I guess you might prefer the slower one anyway; Nothing wrong with that. And finally, "quickaim" is the way you response in reality, so well... I don't see anything wrong about it.

and "RO 1 being slower pace thinking man's game"... well, guys. I know it's supposed to be like that. But it was like that only for the camping ones. And they didn't needed tactics. And the rest was just... just running like a headless chickens and dying in waves instead of doing anything coordinated.

Also, someone mentioned "useless MG's" - not anymore, hon. Since one of the patches, they don't shoot laser beams anymore and therefore are damn lethal. One talented MG operator with someone to guard his back can block the whole flank.

Now, when the noobs (or the much hated by me, so-called "RO 1 fanbase" as mentioned in the earlier rage post) are mostly gone and the game has been patched, RO 2 gameplay looks usually much better.

Peace.

PS: They mentioned a new map. AFAIR, in some old, pre-premiere video material they showed the new "Basovka Station" - anyone can confirm it?

Edited by JonPL

I was wrinting a very detailed report but my firefox reloaded so I lost most of it.

I really agree with you JonPL, about the nadespamfest, and the meatgrinder, but the way as RO2 tried to make it wasn't the best (with the hero weapons and etcetera), but they are in the right path as it is seems with the lastest news

I don't know if the quickaim thing is really accurate with the background of the game, we know that a professional soldier from the actual wars can quickaim with a modern carbine (with the better rate of fire the probability of hitting something increases), but the weapons of the ww2 were less conform and had less rate of fire, and at point blank range I think that a soldier would hipshooting and seek cover instead of a accurate shooting to the another guy

I don't know if they fixed the "suppression effect", if they changed it to a more chaotic one it would be a lot better. In the current effect the camera goes a little grey, and it shows and indicator of where they are firing from, and that makes the MG's really pointless in some maps.

Edited by NacroxNicke

More of the "What we are up to" series:

New map:

The first new map will feature infantry only combats in trenches, bunkers and some open spaces. A hill at the middle of the map is the key point, who controls it have the advantage. The confrontantion range is big. Some pics and the full entry: http://www.heroesofstalingrad.com/2012/02/14/meet-mamayev/

Refinements:

The damage model will change, full details in the link.

Bandaging time will be doubled in realism servers (IMO, the only ones that matter).

Lockdown will be changed, I didn´t understand it very well....

Native voices will be an option.

Next one: "we'll be talking about selectable upgrades, key bindings, the scoreboard and changes coming to the server browser."

Full entry: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=75663

Kurgan Mamayev pics make the area look a little bit .. sparse :confused:

Shame about bandaging, is adding optional bandage off really that hard?

Mamayev look bad IMO. Bring the RO 1 classics! (well, some of them :P enhanced a bit)

Shame about bandaging, is adding optional bandage off really that hard?

ROClassic will switch them off. This changes to the realism mode may also change....

Mamayev look bad IMO. Bring the RO 1 classics! (well, some of them :P enhanced a bit)

Yep. Looks kind of empty without any background... anyone standing there will take some lead.