Sign in to follow this  
Pac

Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad

Pacific Theatre /snore

I'm only really interested by 'In Country' at this point.

I hope they do some serious work on the sound engine, I still routinely lose sound/sound cutting out and it's annoying.

Edited by BangTail

I have played for 20h now... and I haven't managed to enjoy the game at all.

Quickaiming, ability to bandage yourself faster than a ninja, simplified weapon handling, stripped down command system, ability to sprint like Usain Bolt and make an instant stop, or turn around 180 degrees without and decreased speed, and then quickaim and shoot someone. It's possible to make an instant 180 turn without decreased speed, or making a completely dead stop, or going from standing still to sprint in a milisecond, or sprinting and making a dead stop and quickaiming with either your rifle or submachinegun.

The weapons requires absolutely no skill to aim with. Not to talk about features such as skillpoints, which ultimately makes it possible to use perks (even though it's not called that in the game) such as being able to throw grenades super far, or reduced recoil on all weapons. And then we have this STG44 super weapon. You can bandage yourself faster than a ninja. Almost no punishment for being shot. Ability to run rambo with the MG and hipshoot people. Stripped down command system, and incredible stupid features such as unlocks and Lockdown timer to force players to run and gun even more. Plus all the HUD details...

This video kinda express some of my feelings for this game. =|

No, this game was a waste of money. Maybe the modders will make it playable, but still, shame on TWI. I should have known this when they were talking about making the game more accesible. This is one of the worst sequels I've ever played. I have gone back to play RO ost instead. I simply can't enjoy this game.

Edited by Cyper

We're releasing an update later today (if all goes well) and below is the list of changes and fixes:

posted by [TW]Yoshiro @ 04:44PM on November 02, 2011

-Initial implementation of demorecording to support clan play and server admins

-Fixed a server crash in garbage collection that would sometimes happen when changing maps

-Fixed main menu movie corruption (random green squares) when going to/from fullscreen when the startup movies are playing

-Fixed dynamic shadows for fixed MG's not being visible when deployed

-Fixed "double ironsights" issue

-Fixed exploit where players could hide window curtains, etc. by changing their world texture group lod bias

-Fixed bullet decals being completely black in low texture settings

-Fixed black scope textures on Panzer IV

-Fixed interaction icon showing during transitions to a seat inside a tank

-Fixed object and object material popping when you start or stop sprinting

-Added showing the name of the player you are spectating on the hud

Notes on Demo Recording:

First pass implementation of demorecording. This should be considered an "Alpha" implementation, as only certain functionality is hooked up. This early implementation has been created to help support clan play and help server admins finding/catching cheaters. Here is what works/doesn't:

What works:

- Basic server side demo recording: you can record a demo on a server which can be played back on a client. This demo essentially records the net traffic for the gameplay that is sent by the server and then plays it back on the clients. So when the demo is played back on a client you essentially get the same views you would have as if you were spectating a match in real time.

- Third and first person player spectating as well as viewpoint and free roam spectating

- An added "Aiming Info" toggle which will show where the spectated player is looking, and where they are aiming (which with free-aim can be two different places)

- Most sounds play

- Added displaying the specated player's name on the hud. Works with demo recording and standard spectating

What doesn't work or isn't implemented

- Rewinding

- Showing the first person weapon

- Some sounds will not playback in the demo (battlechatter)

- Have not tested with vehicles

- Client side recording

- Have not tested what the maximum length of a demo can be

- Older demos may not work properly with newer builds of the game

- Pretty much anything else

How to use it

- On the server through webadmin or through admin console commands use the command "demorec " to start recording the demo

- When you are done recording the demo through webadmin or through admin console commands use the command "demostop" to stop recording the demo

- In the ROGame\Demos folder you will find your demo files. Copy the demo file(s) to the same location on a client machine

- Start up Red Orchetra 2. At the console type "demoplay " to view the demo

Not impressed as the changelog doesn´t mention anything about gameplay related fixes such as idiotproof weapon sway, accuracy, exhaustion from running, bandage insta heal, and mostly, measurements against spawnraping! Heck the only map that kinda plays right because it is safe from spawnraping is frickin Apartments! .. and i hated that in RO1 :butbut:

While I really like the game I do agree that it's way to easy to aim and needs to be addressed.

So, I've read that the 'mods' developers are deciding if they will stay loyal to the 'mod' aspect of their creations or will go for paid expansion packs. :(

I play about once a week.

Peek population of unique users is about ~1,600...and that's worldwide.

Quickaiming, ability to bandage yourself faster than a ninja, simplified weapon handling, stripped down command system, ability to sprint like Usain Bolt and make an instant stop, or turn around 180 degrees without and decreased speed, and then quickaim and shoot someone.

Tried, but couldn't express it as good as you did - unfortunately my impression as well

Beta Testing New Patch

postado por [TW]Yoshiro @ 09:22PM on November 18, 2011

We are currently testing a new RO 2 build.

Add the following to the end of your target line of your steam start up shortcut:

-beta orcred2

example: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -beta orcred2

Change log:

Map Balance

- Reduced Elite Riflemen and Assault roles on all maps.

- Fixed various spawn camping issues on all maps.

- Apartments - Added additional allied spawn after capturing the first set of objectives

- Barracks - Fixed an exploit that allowed you to get into a wall

- Fallen Fighters - Added missing spawn on squad leader spawns to sewers and trenches

- Grain Elevator - Added a spawn for the Allies that is on the 4th floor. This for when the allies are defending the Foothold

- Spartanovka - Fixed an issues with spawn protection incorrectly showing up when one of the objectives was captured in the 16 player version. Also fixed an Allied spawn not working correctly on the 16 player version.

Performance/Stability

- Reduced the fps hitch during first spawn

- Improved the framerate smoothing video setting to give more stable FPS

- Fixed memory spike when changing teams in the role selection menu

- Improved physics performance (removing another cause of hitching)

Other

- Fixed a wall exploit while leaning

- Satchel objectives can now be 'captured' by destroying the target

- Fixed getting kicked for idling if the server has set MaxIdleTime when reinforcements have run out, or when dead in countdown mode.

- Fixed momentary green scope texture when taking over a bot with a sniper scope.

- Fixed an bug where tank crew members would be invisible the first time they unhatch from the driver seat

- Tank geometry should no longer disappear after being killed as a tank crewman

- Several problems with the hero rank have been addressed (Enemy loadout weapons not showing up, losing hero status after death, UI refinements, etc...)

- Launching the game the first time will add a setting, HUDTipsLevel, to ROGame.ini. Changing this will reduce the amount of text tips that appear on the HUD (0 - All Tips, 1 - Moderate Tips, 2 - Few Tips). Looking for feedback and later on we may add it as a menu option.

To leave the beta, remove the -beta tagline from your steam shortcut, and delete your .ini files for RO 2 in the mydocuments/mygames/ro2/config folder.

More 3 or 4 patches and the game is good to go.

The game has got it's issues but since the recent patch i'm starting to enjoy it again.

One thing is for certain though, the voice actors did an amazing job with death screams.

Now if only the death screams were fixed again... You hear soldiers in slow death but when they are 'dead' and lying as a ragdoll on the ground they are supposed to keep screaming occasionally which right now they hardly ever do, though they did before.

Example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57mICfWeAVg&feature=youtu.be

My favourites are at 2:03 and 3:24.

Indeed.

They should move their mouth too, as they have teeth and the mouth inners modeled. Or that was planned but scrapted due release agenda?

I love it so far! been playing it a few weeks now, though the bugs do put it off sometimes!

and the amount of fixes and the size of the fixes can be frustrating. Its also a game we are

covering at Modsaholic so its good to always be infront with the latest mods etc...

Another patch has been released today:

General

- New achievement Fighting The War on Christmas - Participate in a successful territory capture on Commissars House

- Improved CPU performance for all players

- Spectators will now respect the server's roaming restrictions if the viewed player is killed

- Fixed occasional crash when changing teams in the role selection menu

- Weapon upgrades that have been unlocked no longer have a lock icon next to them in the profile menu

Countdown

- There is now a 5 second timeout after using a reinforcement wave in countdown. This addresses problems where several waves get used up at once.

- If the last player alive is still bleeding out they will now be able to live out their last few seconds before the round ends

Territory

- Fixed the round end screen not displaying if the spawn select menu is open

Server

- Servers that become unranked will now attempt to become ranked again after the map changes. We are still working on fully solving the issue with some servers going unranked, but this will help improve the issue.

And looks like that the next patch may contaian at least 2 new maps:

With a patch out the door yesterday, and the SDK in the final stages of work before we release it to the community, the team has been hard at work finishing up their tasks before they take a few days off to spend with their families.

We've been isolating the few remaining crashes we are receiving and have identified a few more causes of hitching. Code and QA are already working on and testing fixes for these. You will likely see the results from this next week or the week after. It depends on if we can slip them in before the next "big" patch we have planned.

On that note, a large patch is in the works due to some content packages that need to be updated for some bugs. When this happens we are forced to do a several gig update (due to how the engine is structured and the cooking procedure). We will be trying to cram as much into that patch as possible so we don't have to do many of these.

Now we made a fairly large change in terms of weapon availability in the last patch so we have been monitoring community feedback in the forums and in game to see how it is taken. As I've stated before, other changes are being considered based on community feedback as well. I'll speak more about them once we've tested them and feel that they play out well and the community will enjoy them.

As to new content, one of my favorite things I had a chance to do in RO 2 late last week was to test a new prototype map with everybody in the office. I really think the old RO crowd will get a kick out of this one. The rest of the LD team are also cranking away and hope to have their new work in testing soon.

Last but not least we are trying to get the full SDK out the door to everybody, but are working on fixing up a few last issues. With luck it will go out the door late this evening, but may be out early next week if we can't get it done in time.

Have a good Thanksgiving everyone!

Addendum: I forgot to mention we have one of the problematic routers on site that is having issues with the server browser (updating past first refresh and similar problems) and we are starting to dig into what is going on.

For those of you who had an extended weekend, we here at Tripwire hope you enjoyed it!

With one holiday behind us and one just ahead (Twitter especially for KF fans) we are hard at work on updates for RO 2.

Performance and crashing:

Work continues to be done on isolating and addressing several more causes of fps loss and hitching on the clients. This will once again result in a more stable and higher fps rate.

Be on the lookout for calls from us to fill up a server as we take a look into the server ping climb under player load. We will likely need near full to full severs to help diagnose the issue.

As for crashing, we've identified and are testing a fix for the team swap crash and are looking at several others based on .dmp files we are receiving from the community.

Bugs:

Some of the major bugs we are looking at this week is the death screams not always playing and some exploits reported by the clanning community.

We are also digging into why some routers are blocking the server browsers call for servers either right away or over time and are investigating ways to address the situation.

SDK:

While we had hoped we could ship the SDK to all users last week, the community and modding teams made us aware of several lingering issues we are having a crack at before we push it out. We are now expecting this late this week (or more likely next week to coincide with a patch that will include the some of the results of or work this week)

What is on the horizon:

We continue to monitor both the community (forums, websites, in game, and social media) for their feedback and we are in the early stages of some major design work based on said feedback. But among the first things you'll see as a result out of this are maps. This week we'll have another chance here in the office to check out another new level (not the same as last weeks) and begin to give it a proper shakedown.

I look forward to letting you know more about these things in the future, and wish everybody a good week!

Original post is here: What we are up to - The Nov 29th Edition - Tripwire Interactive Forums

Another patch is out, server map download issue seems to be solved, too.

And guess what? Full SDK is out. THEM CUSTOM MAPS INCOMING!

That is really sweet, maybe the Darkest Hour or the Marenostrum team will come back to help to recreate the master piece with the RO1 old gameplay!

Except that quickbandaging thing, RO 2 gameplay > RO 1 gameplay, to me. But then again, left only with like 6, small maps, it gets really boring after few months of CQB and MOUT meat grinder. We really need new maps.

Also, I can't wait for the mods. Nacrox - good news, they already mentioned DH 2, so I guess we can expect it.

Can't wait to fight on the Pacific Islands and in Vietnam, during WW1 and on the western front of the WW2. And finally... I would love to see modern warfare RO. Modern warfare mid-pace, tactical shooter, thing Insurgency mod failed at miserably.

And auto-role-change for people on the Squad Leader and Commander slots if they don't issue orders, gah.

I mean, I would have liked changes, for example a new commander system, with individual orders like Natural Selection

But the CQB meatgrinder get's annoying after a while, I feel like playing COD MW with a lot of LMG guys wallshooting me

And auto-role-change for people on the Squad Leader and Commander slots if they don't issue orders, gah.

Issue orders?! This is madness :j:

As fast paced as RO2 is atm, any commander or squad leader not bouncing around like jelly on crack throwing smoke whereever they can and getting one or the other artillery strike on target is stupido. It´s okay to yell at SL´s over TS3 for them to stay alive so you can spawn on them. But the gameplay doesn´t allow to take a leader role much further than those.

People issuing orders on 64 player server where chaos reigns are a) halucinating, or b) on a power trip.

They always amuse me.

Maps are too small also to issue orders. You go forward or you don´t, thats it.

With bigger maps the game may shine...

There was a poll at TWI forums asking what should be improved\chaged in RO2, gameplay related stuff won by far. We should see some big changes in the comming month. Or at least I hope so.

Sway\fatigue and that freaking peripherical vision should be the fisrt ones to be tweaked.

Edited by Smurf

Issue orders?! This is madness :j:

As fast paced as RO2 is atm, any commander or squad leader not bouncing around like jelly on crack throwing smoke whereever they can and getting one or the other artillery strike on target is stupido. It´s okay to yell at SL´s over TS3 for them to stay alive so you can spawn on them. But the gameplay doesn´t allow to take a leader role much further than those.

People issuing orders on 64 player server where chaos reigns are a) halucinating, or b) on a power trip.

They always amuse me.

I've been successful in issuing orders on 64 man servers.

You just need to tone down your expectations...a lot.

What I usually do is say "I need men on the right side of X". I know 32 players aren't going, but I'll get 4 or 5 which is enough.

Think of players as ICBMs, steer them in the right direction and let them do work.