Sign in to follow this  
Pac

Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad

http://www.realitygamer.com/forum/showthread.php?p=21#post21

The new Red Orchestra game has been announced and the first images (PCGamer scans.) can be found here,the game looks great,I can't wait!

:cool:

Red Orchestra Ostfront 41-45 is godlike,if only we could get the new version of Darkest Hour. :(

ARMA,ARMA2,OFP2,ROHOS,can't get better!

Awesome! RO is one of the few games I bother playing online these days. I'll be looking forward to this one.

This is one of those must-buys that for you don't need even to read reviews before buying.

can't wait for that city maps in UE3.x engine ...

Yay! It has co-op.

Making it now very high on my radar.

Yes, I hope it can portray the conflict in a less one-sided and more neutral way than the ww2 single player games usually is.

You guys forgot that it has singleplayer campaing that you can play as a german.

And this is incredible news, I dont think we have seen it before. Not in

a big FPS title in recent years what I know of anyway.

But playing as german at Stalingrad, I wonder how that campaign turns out! :D

I wouldnt be surprised if this turns out to be controversial in the end,

being authentic and all. There is always someone that gets offended.

If i believe this to be true, didnt RO first start off as a mod for UT? Then what did the mod team license it? and its going to be very very interesting to see how the campaign turns out without making it a COD2 clone. But for me RO is always about the Multiplayer and the sheer immersion

I wouldnt be surprised if this turns out to be controversial in the end,

being authentic and all. There is always someone that gets offended.

It's perfectly understandable if people find it offensive. WW2 wasn't just another war and atrocities committed by the Heer and other regular forces (who I assume you will be apart of during the campaign) are well documented, especially with regards to the Eastern Front. It doesn't really bother me personally, but it's easy to see why many people would be offended. I guess it depends on the way the campaign turns out.

Edited by -snafu-

It's very solid and a lot of people know how to get results with it.

It's very solid and a lot of people know how to get results with it.

If it cant draw decent landscape its not worth crap. Unreal, source, quake... they are all the same, Unreal might be pretty and flexible but its overated.

From what I heard the Unreal engine is not oh so pleasant to work with.

I think your right, there is a lot to master too.

Having to build a box for the inside wall and another for the outside wall. What a tedious pain.

Also having to place plenty of LOS breaks and AI tracks and nodes. (Alhough it does make for very multiplayer compliant maps).

On the otherhand, when it works it works.

It's well documented, the netcode is top notch, the AI is top notch, the SFX are top notch.

So much of the really hard stuff is all done for you. All you really have to worry about is drawing the GFX.

@Heatseaker, how did you feel about the landscapes in Quake Wars Enemy Territory?

I enjoyed them myself.

What about those in Huxley or Vanguard Saga of Heroes?

http://videogames.yahoo.com/pc/vanguard-saga-of-heroes/screenshot-169/780001178/

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/197/view/screens/house/3/display/3815

Edited by Baff1

http://videogames.yahoo.com/pc/vanguard-saga-of-heroes/screenshot-169/780001178/

Woot! I never knew Vanguard was using unreal engine. I never thought about it, dont reminds of unreal engine unlike what I have seen from the upcomming MMO Mortal Online which feels unreal in heart.

UE license works in way that until You release game You can update to latest build (in this case so called UE 3.5 improvements)

so i have no doubt the game got huge potencial

Having to build a box for the inside wall and another for the outside wall. What a tedious pain.

Also having to place plenty of LOS breaks and AI tracks and nodes. (Alhough it does make for very multiplayer compliant maps).

On the otherhand, when it works it works.

It's well documented, the netcode is top notch, the AI is top notch, the SFX are top notch.

So much of the really hard stuff is all done for you. All you really have to worry about is drawing the GFX.

I was thinking in terms of developing rather than modding. Actually having a licence and developing a game for it isn't the easiest thing in the world, or so I heard.

Couldn't be easier, all you need is a mod team. The game engine is already done for you.

Nothing to "develop" at all.

It has a masive fan base, a gazillion modders and they even teach people how to mod for it in universities.

Plus Epic makes really good deals for indie dev's. Lower prices in exchange for profitshares etc., or in the case of the original Red Orchestra totally free with a load of computers and cash thrown in.

The proof is in the pudding.

There are thousands of games made on the Unreal engine and only 10's on it's nearest rival.

It's the easiest one of the lot. The easiest one of all time.

Edited by Baff1

If you want to make a UT clone, yes. Otherwise no. I would really like to know where you get your info, otherwise it's just being cocky.

What info?

I make this stuff up!

Most games made with UT are UT clones.

America's Army, Red Orchestra, Ravenshield, they are just mods.

Red Orchestra won the UT modding competition. That's how it won it's lisence.

It's a mod. You can call it a "development" if you like. But UT developments are just mods. The game engine is developed almost exclusively at Epic. You could develop it further yourself, and I'm sure people have, but most don't.

They just use the modding tools and SDK provided with UT.

It's a stock game engine. Every game made on it is a UT mod. That's all.

Edited by Baff1

You must be talking about Unreal Engine 2.5 development tools. Which use substractive mapping instead of Unreal Engine 3.x development tools which use additive mapping like most other SDKs.

I don't think there is much UT-code left in these games. The whole ballistics system of Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 is pretty complex. More complex than that used in WW2 Online or Armed Assault. It's more like on the level of Steel Beasts but on the infantry side instead.

Tank combat hasn't been as developed as the infantry gameplay though, so it's quite lacking on the combined arms part.

Once you start modifying the engine's source code, and pay a million dollars to have the privilege, it's no longer a 'mod'.

On topic, I'm quite looking froward to RO:HOS. RO:Ostfront was a blast, and I think the sequel will be even more fun with intelligent ai squadmates and the cover system.

Edited by The_Captain2

@Heatseaker, how did you feel about the landscapes in Quake Wars Enemy Territory?

I enjoyed them myself.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/197/view/screens/house/3/display/3815

I dont play those games so i dont know, this doesnt atract me.

aYZ4_JggdlU

Unreal 2.x mapping was very flexible but so much work to make small/simple maps, optimisation was almost like half the workload so its lots of work for little result.

I wouldnt know about Unreal 3 because nobody made anything for it that catched my interest yet but tbh im not convinced.

I agree with Baff1 in regards to all these realism unreal/source games feeling the same, Ravenshield, Americas Army, etc, when people recomended me ROO i did what i usually do wich is to see it in action, the ideas and style/design are good but watching it in motion was disapointing.

QmQt3QIV4xk

Be sure to watch it all the way thru.. it plays alot like Americas Army, clumsy due to all the gimmicks used to try and implement realism into these games, not very tactical due to map/engine and gameplay limitations.

They dont work, unreal just isnt suitable for the task.