Placebo

The all new: Ask a moderator about the forum & rules

That's right. If an old thread is going to be locked when it gets a useless post, that prevents the thread having ANY subsequent content, useless or otherwise. It's senseless.

+1. I agree that the poster should be warned that he's uselessly bumping the thread, or that his post should be removed, but the topic itself shouldn't be closed, particularly when those topics are about editing and scripting.

Hi, I've been having problems editing a post for a couple weeks now -mouse cursor disappears or freezes for a minute or two.

Hi, I've been having problems editing a post for a couple weeks now -mouse cursor disappears or freezes for a minute or two.
You might want to add what browser and which version you are using.

Sorry to say but here is another example why the "§10) Do not dig up old threads"

should be adjusted or dropped. A simple time period is no meaningful measurement.

This very thread and this script in there are still very useful. To start a new threat just

clutters the forum and loose the history of the thread/topic.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?p=2027391#post2027391

Please discuss this bad rule and improve/drop it.

Edit: To clarify - to close the thread is what is hurting here.

I agree that this particular thread shouldn't be closed but just that useless comment being removed instead because it doesn't add anything to the discussion. I did that now and reopened the thread.

But I see no reason why this rule should be dropped, else we soon have numerous years old threads digged out with 'great addon/mission/script/whatever' comments. :)

You're right, w0lle, we need the rule, broadly speaking, but I do think it needs refining. Closing a thread just because someone makes a crappy post is a huge over reaction.

Thread closure is what we do if someone is discussing banned topics, or harrassing, or in the wrong forum, but closing a long and productive thread because a single post isn't quite up to scratch is to disrespect the original poster and everyone who took part in the thread until that point.

Edited by Tankbuster

Gun politics thread final post.

This post isn't about that particular thread, or the particular moderator, but about the handling of threads as a whole, especially in the Offtopic section. It is the latest example though. I don't see why threads are being closed because one or two individuals are bickering or posting off-topic.

I PM'ed something similar to W0lle a while back, which I'll quote in a slightly expanded form:

-------

Secondly, and most importantly, the way the moderation of politics related threads is being done in the Off-topic section. I've been following quite a number of these threads, and most seem to be evolving in the same pattern:

- Thread starts of as any other thread;

- Someone brings up the wars for oil, genocide in [insert random country] by NATO, purposely bombing things like hospitals or some other subject barely (if at all) related to the thread;

- Thread is closed.

I've been looking at who is doing this, and it's almost constantly the same people that are ruining these threads. Wouldn't it be much better to deal with these people by post restricting/banning them and removing the off-topic post(s) than to ruin the thread for everyone, and continuing to enable these people to ruin the next thread that comes along?

It's either you deal with it once, or you end up dealing with it over and over again, even if it's as simple as closing a thread. Cleaning up after members costs time, getting members to walk in line saves time (or gets rid of them). In the end the small investment in time starts saving time in the long run.

-------

They are posting off-topic, posting spam, flamebaiting, derailing threads etc. So why only close the thread for everyone instead of taking action against the individuals that are often breaking multiple rules? Why does the current approach that most moderators seem to use appear more efficient than getting rid of the annoying less than 0.5% of all active posters?

Can you please disable the "url shortener" of vBulletin or at least make it show a lot longer links without applying that.

Sample: http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=2035484&postcount=23 (this link itself for example)

Or get an addon that converts http links automatically to [_url=LINK]Automatically fetched page name[/url_].

Edited by .kju [PvPscene]

Can you please disable the "url shortener" of vBulletin or at least make it show a lot longer links without applying that.

Sample: http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=2035484&postcount=23 (and this link itself..)

Or get an addon that converts http links automatically to [_url=LINK]Automatically fetched page name[/url_].

+1 lots of people are making mistakes with it when copy/pasting / quoting posts etc.

And generally it's rather annoyingly cut.

Time for a BIF Tracker? :P

I'm getting a lot of "Database Error" pages on forum threads at the moment (this one included - I'm blind replying in the quick reply box from page 3), is this known about?

E-mail subscriptions seem broken again, would love them to be reliable again ;)

Why there is a need for two threads for one theme "A3 wishful thinking/daydreaming" aka

Sticky: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=125819

and the disussion thread: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=125820

Thats like making/reading a list in one extra room and discussing/talking about a certain feature/wish from this list in another extra room.

Isn't it easier to close the wishlist-only sticky with "BIS make all the things!! " meme and let the discussion open? :)

E-mail subscriptions seem broken again, would love them to be reliable again ;)

Plus one.

Any news on the URL front?

Can you rename the Offtopic section of the forums to "Walker's Musings"? It would be a more accurate description.

Thanks.

Abs

Did anyone look into disabling the URL shortening?

Can you rename the Offtopic section of the forums to "Walker's Musings"? It would be a more accurate description.

Thanks.

Abs

yes please.

He does seem to be increasingly offtopic.

On a related subject, could the forums be set so that users who use the 'new posts' option would automatically *not* see posts from those on their ignore list? The reason I have (insert username here) is because I don't want to read the rambling, illogical, psychotic and frankly, bullshit posts from said user, it would be great if posts from them don't appear in a 'new posts' list.

Edited by Tankbuster

Or rename this thread to "Silly Complaints about Walker / Walker Threads"?

Let the man post his thing in peace, he doesn't hurt anyone, and often throws up interesting topics and discussions..

What's the use of an OffTopic section if you're going to complain about OffTopic discussions

Or rename this thread to "Silly Complaints about Walker / Walker Threads"?

Let the man post his thing in peace, he doesn't hurt anyone, and often throws up interesting topics and discussions..

What's the use of an OffTopic section if you're going to complain about OffTopic discussions

What Sickboy said. How will Walkers information sharing affect you?

Let the man post :)

What Sickboy said. How will Walkers information sharing affect you?

Let the man post :)

Agreed. And sometimes it even may happen to be informative.