Placebo

The all new: Ask a moderator about the forum & rules

@Sniperwolf517:

It's not that clear-cut, though. There are several topics that do fall into those categories but get locked anyway (especially true of political topics, example), and there are also several topics that don't fall into any of those categories but are left open (example). It would help to make the rules more clear in this area.

Unrelated question:

Why is the 100KB limit on images still enforced? It's 2010; no one uses 56k anymore. It's not like the images are being hosted on this site, so... what's the big deal?

I presume that political topic example got locked before it gets out of hand. I was about to lock it too because

a) the threadstarter clearly said that he will not cool down, so chances were good the thread sooner or later ends up in a mess. And to be honest, the issue is something he should discuss with local politicans, not in a computer game forum.

b) We don't read every thread and post made, hence we are not aware of every little problem that might be here.

Last but not least, this is a privately owned forum. There is no free speech in such a forum. As a result we close threads when we think it's the best (or easiest) solution. :)

The 100kb rule has been discussed to death in the past years. And each time the result was the same: The 100kb rules stays. It won't be any different this time.

If you really, really must post 10 MB images there's always the option to use a thumbnail service or create a smaller preview image on your own.

That no one using 56k anymore is a blatant lie, I personally know one guy who has no other choice. And mobile devices have no broadband connection either. Just because you have super-hispeed-fibre channel connections means not the rest of the world is also that lucky. :)

a) That the thread was destined to become a mess is a reasonable explanation for locking, but that wasn't the explanation given when the thread was locked; the explanation that was given was that it was "too off-topic for off-topic." As for the suggestion that the thread starter talk to his local politicians rather than discuss the issue in the off-topic forum, perhaps you are right, but is it not permissible to discuss issues of a political nature here? It is one of the topics that is specifically sanctioned in the OT forum's description.

My point isn't really that the thread shouldn't have been locked, but rather that the reasoning for it being locked wasn't presented well. Saying that a political thread is too off-topic for off-topic while simultaneously maintaining a forum description that lists "politics" as a valid thread category creates a contradiction that begets confusion. This is just something to consider.

b) I understand that this a private forum, and I'm not trying to dispute the authority of anyone on the moderation team to lock threads. I am simply pointing out some confusing aspects of the policies around here.

Regarding the 100kb rule:

I don't post pictures here, so I'm not personally concerned about the rule. I have just always been curious as to why such a low limit is enforced here. From what I gather the reason is simply that "it's always been that way." Since the vast majority of posters these days have broadband access, there doesn't appear to be any other rational explanation, but perhaps I'm missing something.

Edited by ST_Dux

I locked the thread more-so because it was so blatantly obvious that a mature discussion was not going to go on there, and it was already starting to get out of hand.

But in all seriousness - pedophilia? On a video game forum's offtopic section? Really? In that context, I found it too offtopic for offtopic. It seems I was not the only one who had a similar reaction. I don't think there's a need to discuss such a subject here of all places.

Forum rules say:

§10) Do not dig up old threads

Threads older than 4 months should not be dug up unless something significant is being added. If in doubt as to what is "significant", contact a moderator and they will give you their opinion. As always old threads will remain open or be closed at the moderator's discretion. Digging up an old thread simply to ask "any news" is also not acceptable, PM the thread starter or mod leader to ask.

Have you ever thought this rule will do more harm than good? Plsese let me explain:

This rule will forces people to post new threads of same old topics, because people cannot reply old topics that would perfectly match their topic. This will make forum to have lot of posts with just 1 or 2 replies and multiple makes browings sub forum main pages harder.

Good example is ArmA 2 & OA - OFFICIAL MISSIONS subforum where same issues are always brought up (Razor Two, Manhattan, Badlands, Dogs Of War), because not everyone buy their game same time or play their missions same time. It would do good for the reputation of the game when you could end more than 4 months old discussion by replying fixed in V1.57 patch for example.

"PM the thread starter or mod leader to ask." Well thead starter may have gone passive when answer for his thread or sulution to his problem too often takes more than 4 months and after that nobody could reply him, because of the rules. This way some people post few times here, get no answer and decide not to come back ever.

Please consider updating rules and removing such restrictions.

Edited by Hanzu

The rule does seem a little weird, considering that it's a catch-22 where starting a thread about an already discussed topic will get the normal "use search, dumbass" response from moderators and enthusiastic community members alike.

§10) Do not dig up old threads

Threads older than 4 months should not be dug up unless something significant is being added. If in doubt as to what is "significant", contact a moderator and they will give you their opinion. As always old threads will remain open or be closed at the moderator's discretion. Digging up an old thread simply to ask "any news" is also not acceptable, PM the thread starter or mod leader to ask.

I feel the rule is worthwhile especially for cases where there is a thread about whatever subject, and 1 year later, somebody post there saying: hey, is there any news? (in fact this sort of mindless bumping should be slapped no matter if we are talking about an old thread or not - my own 2 cents)

Same goes for discussions about a subject which have been either fixed or is not really of importance anymore.

The rule is primarily there because as you've surely seen, people will bump threads or ask for news when there hasn't been a post there for, in some cases, way over 4 months. Not only is it a rule here, but it's one of my personal pet peeves on forums.

Edit: Moved to the appropriate place.

Edited by Zipper5

"If in doubt as to what is "significant", contact a moderator and they will give you their opinion."

So If I consider my information and reply significant and I am not in doubt at all, then I don't have to trouble myself which moderator I should ask for opinion and I can just be my own judge and post if I can assume it does not bother anyone, right? :)

Bumping in such an active forum as this, is not a problem, since some stupid bumbed messages will move away from the first page and from your eyes pretty fast when new topics are coming at fast rate and newer topics still beeing discussed actively will get more replies.

If I could decide, I would make and an exception for one sub-forum, since the only sub-forum where this rule makes no sence is "ArmA 2 & OA - OFFICIAL MISSIONS". No-one will ask "Any news?" in such a sub-forum.

So If I consider my information and reply significant and I am not in doubt at all, then I don't have to trouble myself which moderator I should ask for opinion and I can just be my own judge and post if I can assume it does not bother anyone, right? :)

No, then you will be punished for being stupid. :p

We do not allow any thread bumping, not for asking for "any news" nor a stupid "bump" post to push the thread on page one.

There is absolutlely no problem in bumping a thread when there is a real reason to do so. e.g. problems with a Mod, download link not working etc. However a 7 year old thread should be kept where it is, because it's unlikely that anyone will fix a problem with such an old thing.

Is it standard policy to give warnings and infractions in under 3 minutes for the same post?

Cuz thats how I roll it seems.:j:

The 2nd warning you received for one and the same thing has been reversed already.

However we can be much faster if it's necessary, and tougher too. :p

And if you stick to the rules, you don't have to worry about such things.

This thread is now closed, Alex and any other VME members are now suspended from these forums for flagrant abuse of our copyrights and promoting the circumvention of our anti-piracy measures.

I might sound noisy or alike, but can this be expanded?

In short: Providing guides on their website on how to patch illegal copies.

In short: Providing guides on their website on how to patch illegal copies.

cheers wolle mate. Happy new year

1) You are not, I repeat, you are not allowed to convert any model without the original authors permission. And it doesn't matter if the addon is from ArmA2, ArmA1, OFP, FS2004 or any other game.

If you can't find the original author, that's your problem then.

Hey.

So, quick question here. It's long been the convention on these forums that if you wanted to convert something from an author you send them an email using the one listed in the readme, and if the author doesn't respond in (2 week? 1 month? 2 months?) you assumed that the author had left the community, and went ahead with the upgrade/conversion.

Not that I do that, but I was wondering if this has changed?

Abs

It has not changed. You know that reply was meant for that guy who said he don't know who the author is. Which I highly doubt btw, because the Filename alone already gives an indication on the original creator (ALPHA = AlphaSim).

It has not changed. You know that reply was meant for that guy who said he don't know who the author is. Which I highly doubt btw, because the Filename alone already gives an indication on the original creator (ALPHA = AlphaSim).

Cool. Thanks W0lle.

Abs

This was my thread with the original title of "Improvements the Community Wants".

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?p=1832856

Wolle changed the title to "Improvements I demand". This is a misrepresentation of myself and my post.

I would like to know why this change took place without any fair warning given to myself. This is, in my mind, an act of degradation of character. I take this very seriously, and I hope you do too.

Thank you for your time and level headed response.

Is there some serious problem / some technical reason why the Sub-Forum titles in the Editing section can't be changed.

Or was it purely the mods got together and just said No ?

The previous raised and continueous issue about "terrain" editing and "map" making being mixed up is getting old and little annoying.

There are stickied topics called "ATTN: Addon Makers - Rules of content permissions." in both the OFP and ArmA1 A&M:C sections, but there is none in ArmA2's A&M:C section. Now my question is, seeing as most addonmaking is done for ArmA2 these days, could another instance of this thread please be created in that section?

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=65278

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=65277

Good point JdB, will do that asap.

@Gnat

The only one able to do that is Placebo who either has no time or no interest in doing so.

The only one able to do that is Placebo who either has no time or no interest in doing so.

lol OK, thanks.

I do hope you pay for his services in peanuts ;)

EDIT: Sorry, that may come across badly, I really meant, "I hope you pay him peanuts for his services" :D