Sign in to follow this  
Ironman13

Improvements I want, and maybe some other people but it's arrogant to assume...

No more DLC for now. Fix the dumb shit first.

1) All modules need to be MP-Dedicated compatible. If it works on a dedicated server, it should work on everything else fine. Mission makers shouldn't have to resync anything because pretty much all missions require re-spawn and Mission makers shouldn't have to write a ton of code to get what they want out of it. Keep all the options but maybe have some presets, not just 1 default.

2) REWORK THE WATER SYSTEM! This is lol-tastic. In OFP you died when you tried to swim in water. In ArmA you could swim and lose all your gear, except your super duper pistol. You wonder what changed from ArmA to ArmA 2 regarding the water system, nothing. We should be able to swim in water without losing anything. Soldiers in real life are taught how to do this with all their gear. Maybe give us scuba gear so we can even, dare I say it, swim underwater. I find it hilarious how a game like Delta Force-Delta Force Team Sabre can accomplish swimming underwater but a sophisticated game like this will either have you die, or lose all your gear. Not asking for much with this as you have had MANY years to fix this.

3) Throwing a hand grenade while walking. This was possible in the original ArmA and in ArmA II, fix it.

4) 3D editor. Yes we have one in the game, Yes there are addons out there. It should be "noob" friendly though. Make it so we can access it from the single player mission editor. So where the button for "preview" is you can also have a button called "3D editor" and you could save it in a mission.sqm or a "blahblah.sqf". The 3D editor menu should be uniform to the 2D editor except instead of the Map in the background you are actually seeing the environment of wherever you are editing.

5) Release MLODs! Who are you kidding? If the end product is good, BIS will just take it and use it in VBS which makes your main money maker, get even more money.

6) Better CQB. There are a number ways to accomplish this. Dare I venture out into the abyss. How about simply increasing building sizes? Having hallways where more than one person can fit through. Increasing sizes of rooms. I don't think many people live like Harry Potter did under the stairs. The buildings should keep a good ratio to the size of the AI. I feel like most buildings do have a good height, what it lacks is depth. Most will probably say the AI are too dumb to fight in that kind of environment. I would agree. But, that would take a lot of time and maybe leaps in technology to achieve the level of realism everyone is looking for. So, lets focus on what is achievable right now. Increase building depth.

All of these things are achievable. BIS, we have paid for 2 crappy DLC. It is obvious that we all love this game and support your company. Will you support your loyal community? Will you hear our voices? Don't continue to give us crap that doesn't change the overall gameplay experience. Give us game engine upgrades! Don't tell us it will require us to buy new computers either, you have the means to accomplish this goal with our current rig specs. Do it.

I may be one voice but I speak for many.

1. Mission makers love the open possibilities by the scripting system. Big missions have a 'ton of code' working behind them because the designers love to use many different features in their missions. Automatism is mostly a bad thing cause automatic things tend to add a lot of headroom to your stuff without being needed and like murphy knows will fail at the moment where you need them most.

2. Ok diving would be sweet, underwater battle even more. But to compare ArmA2 to DF Team Sabre is just plain laughable. Cmon lets be serious.

3. .. ?

4. Yeah, a magic button which does everything you want is far better than to read & learn tutorials i give you that. Uhm now we're at it, where's the motivation button when you need it ...

5. BIS is a company. Companies need money to make products. We like BIS products. We pay money. See how it works?

6. If an AI soldier cant do much inside a tiny house will he do better in a big house?

Ok CQB could be better in ArmA2 (in comparasion to which simulation btw?) but seeing that ArmA2 is coming from an open field conventional war mass army battles simulation its understandable that CQB is not a focus of the engine (yet).

Improvements the community wants

I'm sorry, i don't feel comfortable for you to speak in the name of the said community, or in my name in particular.

It's more honest to entitle your post as: Improvements I want

1) All modules need to be MP-Dedicated compatible.

Aren't they all?

2) REWORK THE WATER SYSTEM!

You do realize this is by design, don't you? And you do realize there are mods that changes this default behiviour?

3) Throwing a hand grenade while walking.

It is possible in OA as well, at least last time i checked...You got two animations though, and yes, i consider that a bug.

4) 3D editor.

Agreed.

5) Release MLODs!

There is no need for mlods. At the very best, some aditional samples would be nice to have.

6) Better CQB.

True

I may be one voice but I speak for many.

Or at least that is your impression...

Edited by PuFu

We all have our pet peeves. Thanks for revealing yours, but really, most of them aren't on my list :) and most of them aren't even bugs.

You really imagine swimming with all your combat gear is either so important, or what the comunity wants? I don't think swimming with all your combat gear is actually what soldiers are trained for. More like other ways of getting across with your gear, like hoiking it all across first on a rope say.

Who throws a hand grenade while walking? Gamers :)

And you might be surprised at how small rooms actually are, I was when I modeled them in real scale. A lot smaller than you realise, compounded by your restricted view in the game.

5) Release MLODs! Who are you kidding? If the end product is good, BIS will just take it and use it in VBS which makes your main money maker, get even more money.

I don't know what you're saying with this.

1. Not sure what you are asking there.

2. Yes war should be in the Sea, Air, and Land. Where is the sea? I would love to see scuba diving and some more water vehicles. Maybe even a real carrier.

3. The entire throwing thing needs a rework. For now nades are mostly useless, but in RL nades are used much more. Give us short keys for nades and some strength bar or something so I could throw a nade without screaming "holly cow".

4. 3d editor will be great although the community handle without it for now.

5. Well ArmA is VBS playground, BIS do take care of our little haven by updating it constantly. Keep up with DLC but please make engine improvement we don't really care about new content, a tank is still a tank. Give us new targeting system for the tank but please, just not another skin or model.

6. Agree. Cqb is bad atm. Not just the buildings but the reaction time, the fact that you can strafe inside and the clunky feelings it give you and the fact that you can't throw a descent grenade.

I'm sorry, i don't feel comfortable for you to speak in the name of the said community, or in my name in particular.

We all have our pet peeves. Thanks for revealing yours, but really, most of them aren't on my list :) and most of them aren't even bugs.

Thanks, Ironman, for telling us what YOU want. But, as well as the rest of the community, you certainly don't speak for me.

Of course you're entitled to your opinion... but just remember... it is your opinion only.

But I do agree the 3D editor would be nice, but it's not very high up on my list of things I want.

This.

Modules, grenades and swimming all make perfect sense to me, why a feature like a running grenade throw has been left broken so long perplexes me and hints at deeper problems underneath the surface

I may be mistaken, but I don't think that the entire community has the same view as you. I'm part of the community, and I still want DLC to be made.

With an opening line like that, I can't see much good coming out of this thread, but I'll give it a chance. Prove me wrong.

It is possible in OA as well, at least last time i checked...You got two animations though, and yes, i consider that a bug.

The possibility was removed, because BIS add a innovation that giving option to change trowing grenade power.

so, when you press LMB, in game, you hand moving behind your head. And stay there until you trow grenade.

What it will be looks like in movement how you think? :D

P.S. Who said "stop DLC"? Burn this opinion with fire :D

You need a LEGO construction kit? Go and buy LEGO.

In my case, i need a game too :)

Edited by Wass

I may be mistaken, but I don't think that the entire community has the same view as you. I'm part of the community, and I still want DLC to be made.

With an opening line like that, I can't see much good coming out of this thread, but I'll give it a chance. Prove me wrong.

The OP is way off base here.

But, to add something constructive, how about making the Warfare mission "Superpowers" resizeable and scalable for smaller numbers of players? Things like play area, the number of towns to fight over, starting money and supplies, and bounty multiplier should all be parameters that can be changed in the mission wizard or at mission launch.

"Superpowers" is a great concept, but too huge for a quicker game to be played, or for smaller numbers of players.

I will be releasing a pack of 1-Town Warfare missions soon, once I finish tweaking money and supplies. I have changed the bounty multiplier to equal the killed unit's cost. This way, those who minimize losses and play carefully are rewarded, and recruiting subordinates makes economical sense. In MY opinion (not the entire community's), this should have been able to be done on-the-fly in the wizard or with parameters selected at mission start in the standard Superpowers mission. In my opinion, it has the best mission concept, but needs added flexibility for anyone to host or play it!

Hopefully my reply was constructive after all. :)

Edited by Eclipse4349

This is pretty hilarious to me how everyone here says speak for myself but most of you agree with at least one point on my list some with more than one. Go figure lol.

That is what really perplexes me.

Results so far: (with only 11 posts)

#1:+1

#2:+2

#3:+2

#4:+3

#5:+.5

#6:+2

@pufu: All modules are not MP-Dedicated compatible. At least to the point where mission makers will actually use a UAV or ULB. Modules were designed to make the creators life easier. I am suggesting, make it easier.

@Dmarkwick: If people make a model that looks nice. BIS has rights to it because at some point you had to use a BIS tool to port it to the game. Thus making it theirs. Did I really need to spell that out for you?

So, why do any of these improvements have to deal with bugs? I never mentioned that this post was only about bugs. It is a list of things to improve on. As stated above, a tank is a tank, a chopper a chopper, a unit a unit, a gun a gun. You can reskin em all day, doesn't change gameplay. Is it wrong to point out things that are flawed by design? If that is a rule somewhere, please point me to it. In fact, the only bug here is that Handgrenade toss thing. And to whoever said you don't move when you throw a nade.... right, whatever helps you sleep well at night. Running and throwing a nade is probably not done that often, but is that what I am asking for?

Edited by {GSF} Ironman

Just because they agree doesn't mean you speak for them.

@ MLOD arguement: You might want to check your facts there. BIS doesn't gain IP rights to *your* work just because you used their tools to compile it. So No, they can't just take it and port it to VBS without your consent.

Release MLODs! Who are you kidding? If the end product is good, BIS will just take it and use it in VBS which makes your main money maker, get even more money.

i support this for self serving reasons :)

did I say it was without someone consent? Might want to check your facts before you make accusations.

Might want to check your facts before you claim what you want is what the community wants. ;)

SCOREBOARD, it speaks for itself thanks very much.

"Just because they agree doesn't mean you speak for them." hahahahaha, really? That would be like saying, "Just because the community agrees doesn't mean you speak for them."

Dank you very much, come again.

Edited by {GSF} Ironman

@Dmarkwick: If people make a model that looks nice. BIS has rights to it because at some point you had to use a BIS tool to port it to the game. Thus making it theirs. Did I really need to spell that out for you?

You should get your facts(read the BI tools EULA for instance). The IP for the mesh is mine, especially if i use another software to create it than O2. Obviusly, O2 cannot be used for commercial products, but that doesn't mean BIS owns any of my work i did for their games..

3):

My absolute approval ! I dont know why this was not Fix ???

5):

BIS could Release the Model Samples, but must not. ;)

After 1 1/2 Year´s from ArmA2 exists not original ArmA2 Samples (times except http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6925), should at least come as slowly ArmA2 Model Samples. But with existing DLC Content´s, see i little chance of any Release of ArmA2 or even ArmA2:OA Model Samples.

the mesh might be yours but look at your qualifier... IF YOU DON'T USE O2. I mentioned using BIS tools, which last I heard, includes O2. But we can stop this point because it is a rabbit hole for another discussion.

My point is it will help with VBS which is BIS main money maker. Why do I find myself repeating what I already said? Why do I find myself....

Lets stick to the main points here please.

I guess we have had enough (and useless) discussions about the MLODS/samples thingy. Nobody is the spokesman of the community, even if some long time, respected and productive community members are listened very carefully on these forums.

This is pretty hilarious to me how everyone here says speak for myself but most of you agree with at least one point on my list some with more than one. Go figure lol.

As a spokesman that makes you around 10% right and 90% fail.

That is what really perplexes me.

And with 350+ views. That makes an average of... Really low.

See, i can fuck statistics too. :D

Noone will ever be greater Fail than me! ;D

But seriously, can we please lust let this thread drop off the first page now?

1) All modules need to be MP-Dedicated compatible.

If only units don't get desynchronised with them when they die/respawn, things would be a lot easier indeed. Maybe even make it optional to put resynchronisation in as a variable in the module's init field, to give people the choice. +1, even if it's only to make First Aid modules compatible with respawn without using tons of scripts to resynchronise them (which I have never been able to find by the way, so I cannot even do this :( )

2) REWORK THE WATER SYSTEM!

Scuba diving does not seem like an important enough addition to the game to warrant any effort be put into it, but I don't think that in reality troops' gear just disintegrates when it comes in contact with water. I would suppose they would lose some of the really heavy gear to keep afloat, but surely soldiers know how to swim with at least a rifle and some ammunition?

3) Throwing a hand grenade while walking

Bug that should have been solved... although I don't run into it often (or at all).

4) 3D editor.

I would really love a 3D editor with the same capabilities as the 2D editor, and ideally we should be able to switch between them on the fly. I would be delighted to see this.

5) Release MLODs!

This is not a big issue to me as I only have a vague idea what MLODs are. The issue doesn't really live for me but I suppose others have stronger feelings about it.

6) Better CQB.

Definite yes. Lots of modern combat revolves around urban fighting or indoor fighting and it would be great to see this improved. Making streets narrower and houses a bit bigger should make urban battles rather interesting. There's still the problem of the AI though, if that is solved or at least decreased, CQB will improve by a lot I think.