Placebo

The all new: Ask a moderator about the forum & rules

Well... we can stop that "unfair punishment" of course and treat all forum threads equal. But I'm sure none of you will like that option.

It's enough now with the whining and bitching. I said we find a solution asap and if that's not enough then I don't know.

I say it one more time: There is no right to post in that forum, there is no right to have your threads updated there and there is also no right that <insert random squad here> appears on page #1 of that forum.

Got it? Good.

Yeah, we heard you the first time. You will do what you will do, and we'll just wait and see what happens.

Edited by Pathy

What's the point of this thread if it's not to discuss the way that things are done around here by the people who do said things?

When someone asks a question about the particular logic behind a decision and brings up what he sees to be a real problem, and then essentially gets told to 'suck it up', then his question isn't actually answered, is it?

Perhaps the way to avoid a situation like this is to get the actual moderator who takes the action in question to answer the question...that way other moderators who didn't take the action, were not consulted on said action, and have nothing to do with it will not end up telling customers that that's essentially 'the way it goes', and people get real answers and don't end up being frustrated.

In the spirit of this thread, my first two questions weren't hypothetical, and can be answered by anyone who chooses to.

Abs

What's the point of this thread if it's not to discuss the way that things are done around here by the people who do said things?

Having every question answered in full was never a given, I think if you look back at the history of these threads however the majority are answered, but just because someone asks something doesn't guarantee that the moderator that made the specific decision will answer the specific question in full.

When someone asks a question about the particular logic behind a decision and brings up what he sees to be a real problem, and then essentially gets told to 'suck it up', then his question isn't actually answered, is it?

Any answer is better than no answer, and W0lle has answered the questions more than I intend to do as I'm still extremely angry about the behaviour of a majority of squads as a whole, it's not just one squad, it's multiple squads and I'm thoroughly pissed off about such pathetic behaviour, yes the situation right now is that certain squads cannot update their threads and they're stuck on page 50 or what not but if they really care about the community they will understand that a few days non postability is far better if it means that the situation is changed so it reflects better on all squads as a whole.

Just now there have been some serious banning and suspending going on. I was wondering if it was due to the fact they were talking about OA's copy protection?

The reason I ask is I don't want to join in the conversation if it's going to get me banned! :eek:

I hope it isn't that you found out they were pirating the game, because that just leaves a bad taste in my mouth if they did. :(

p.s. Thank you for creating this thread, and taking the time to answer our questions. It realy brings much needed insight- I truly appreciate it.

Edited by Sniper Pilot
I fail, therefore I edit!

Just now there have been some serious banning and suspending going on. I was wondering if it was due to the fact they were talking about OA's copy protection?

The reason I ask is I don't want to join in the conversation if it's going to get me banned! :eek:

I hope it isn't that you found out they were pirating the game, because that just leaves a bad taste in my mouth if they did. :(

p.s. Thank you for creating this thread, and taking the time to answer our questions. It realy brings much needed insight- I truly appreciate it.

Click on Placebo's name and then go to find more posts by Placebo. That should give you an answer.

EDIT: I just realized I finally kicked my habit of calling you Place-bo when reading things in my head. Yeah!

We suspended a couple of people earlier for obviously using illegal copies of OA. If you live e.g. in Chile it's impossible you have already a legal copy of the game.

Others were banned for above and returning with a duplicate account. Gambled and lost so to say. :)

Click on Placebo's name and then go to find more posts by Placebo. That should give you an answer.

EDIT: I just realized I finally kicked my habit of calling you Place-bo when reading things in my head. Yeah!

It's pronounced Pla-see-bo ;)

Or for the sake of simplicity "Paul" ;)

Edited by Placebo

Or for the sake of simplicity "Paul" ;)

What about "Pablo-ce" for the severely dyslexic among us... :pet6::n:

You can stick with "P" ;)

Actually, I used to think "Place-bo" in my head like Mac up there, but that habbit died long long ago. I do like Pablo though, I think I'll start using that from now on.

Cheers Pablo. :shine:

We suspended a couple of people earlier for obviously using illegal copies of OA. If you live e.g. in Chile it's impossible you have already a legal copy of the game.

Others were banned for above and returning with a duplicate account. Gambled and lost so to say. :)

Glad they got owned as it's just sad that they just didn't shell out for it.

(this has nothing to do with the users who got banned/suspended btw)Now I know it's highly unlikely that anyone would do this, but my friend always likes to get games on the very first day it's possible and has done so with countless Japanese releases and either ArmA or ArmA2 (can't remember which). He has flight benifits, so it's very possible to fly on short notice and get the game before it arrives in the US.

Now I don't know if he was successful at getting OA as I havn't talked to him, but I guess the REAL question is:

Do you have a system to know if the party really pirated the game or do you go purley by assumption?(which would be totally understandable because the chances of someone being as crazy as my buddy are slim to none :) )

Second question, out of curiosity, how would someone go about proving they have a legal copy? Would they pm you guys or what?

**if you can't answer these questions it's totaly understandable as I don't want you to reveal anything that would give pirates more ligitimacy.

Oh and I used to always call Placebo "Place-bo" too lol, man this community has been here forever, and I'm getting old.

Edited by Sniper Pilot

And now for something completely different:

The offtopic forum description still reads:

For discussions not strictly related to Operation Flashpoint. Topics should still be related in some way, for example: military, politics, science and other military games.

While its nice to have some OFP memorabilia, I think it should mention the successors too, or jut in general "BI Games" ;)

Yeah, I figured that out at some point. I joined the forum when I was like 14 or something like that and had never seen Placebo written out before, only heard someone say it. At some point I saw it and heard it at the same time and it finally clicked that I had been saying it wrong for all these years. The habit stuck though. But now it is gone.

I know that you're not going to be splitting up the ArmA II forum for Arrowhead but did Resistance ever have its own sections? I could've swore that at some point it did but now I can't remember.

I know that you're not going to be splitting up the ArmA II forum for Arrowhead but did Resistance ever have its own sections? I could've swore that at some point it did but now I can't remember.

As far as I remember, only Elite had it's own special section.

As far as I remember, only Elite had it's own special section.

Okay. I thought I remembered Resistance missions having its own section right below the OFP missions for a while until it had been out. I guess not though.

Elite had its own forum over at the old BI Forums. However this is the new forums and OA is "just" an expansion, not a new game. Elite was technically a new game. The Resistance expansion also had no separate forum back then.

Well I've always wondered... why can't we get a forum for this game? :cool:

Wow this is the first time i've heard of it! Pretty cool seeing where we got the ambient wildlife from among others. Though it would have been nice to get melée weapons. (Not sure how well it would have worked though.)

As not to spam, how do you select moderators and what are the prerequisites?

As not to spam, how do you select moderators and what are the prerequisites?

Answer to that is here.

Why ArmA 2 & OA - SQUADS AND FANPAGES is the only forum where search function is disabled? It would be so convenient to search this forum for a specific clan/squad.

I have posted a message in the Squad/Clan List thread.

The warning tells: Please note, this forum is pre-moderated, that means any new thread/post you make will not be visible until approved by a moderator. Please do not contact moderators directly to approve your post/thread, that will result in it being deleted, feel free to use the "report post" function to request approval, however that should only be done once.

How can you request approval by reporting a post which did not appear yet?

Thank you for your answer

I wasn't aware search function was disabled, that was purely an accident if so, thanks for letting me know :)

Well I assumed that when you make your post it showed up for you as the poster, obviously if that isn't the case I will find an alternative solution :)

---------- Post added at 22:27 ---------- Previous post was at 22:21 ----------

Search is now fixed, checking the 2nd part of your complaint.

---------- Post added at 22:30 ---------- Previous post was at 22:27 ----------

Ok you're right you can't see your own post when it's in the queue, solution is to report the post I make saying "when your new thread/post is ready for pre-moderation please report this post asking us to check it" :)

---------- Post added at 22:34 ---------- Previous post was at 22:30 ----------

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=100513

*So as it turns out once you've made your new post/thread and it's in the moderation queue you can't see it, so obviously you can't report it to have us check it, so instead simply report this here post saying that you have a new thread/post awaiting moderation and we'll get to it as quickly as we can :)

Hope that helps, thanks for reporting these issues to us :)

is there any chance that the Editing subforums for A2/OA get a facelift, sort of what i was trying to suggest here

there are plenty of threads mistplaced, tons of questions asked in the wrong sections etc etc, mainly because:

* Configs and Scripting part is taken as mission editing (i guess reading addons between brackets is too hard for some)

* Map is very often taken as Mission, not terrain

and so on and so forth

TY

I would welcome that suggestion of pufu, I always found those titles misleading, even back in the OFP times...