Sign in to follow this  
Big-Rooney

ArmA II: The Vehicles

@WIPMAN : no offense, but BIS did a one-version-fits-all model for all variants. Actually I call that efficiency. It's still a very sexy looking HMMWV, whatever model (or mish mash) it is.

I bet it's the same for the UAZ, SU25, you name it. but you don't really care or noticed did you ? It just makes you eye bleed because you're probably an ex-Hmmwv driver or fan. The rest of us will do just fine, and BIS knows that, so I don't think they will change a thing.

They better spend time making something really different rather than changing the exhaust pipe or air vent for every model form one variant to another : Meaning you have to change the geometry (5 Resolution LODS), the textures (diff, spec, normal), the RVMATS and so on... You'd have tons on Megabytes extra for very little difference ingame.

I hope Arma2 will have kind a similar vehicle improvements like in VBS2 :P

Probably UAV Thermal Cam? http://www.virtualbattlespace.vbs2.com/templates/VBS2_VTK_new/images/features/big/thermal_1.jpg

Stalker inside computer or targeting system? http://virtualbattlespace.vbs2.com/images/stories/smalls/products/vbs2/adf_beta4_small.jpg

It will be cool to see tank interiors with similar improvements like in that tank sim: Steelbeasts.

So you can make this kind of stuff in arma engine but we will see... but as I said before, I will buy it anyway :)

Edited by Mafia101

Probably UAV Thermal Cam? http://www.virtualbattlespace.vbs2.com/templates/VBS2_VTK_new/images/features/big/thermal_1.jpg

Stalker inside computer or targeting system? http://virtualbattlespace.vbs2.com/images/stories/smalls/products/vbs2/adf_beta4_small.jpg

It will be cool to see tank interiors with similar improvements like in that tank sim: Steelbeasts.

So you can make this kind of stuff in arma engine but we will see... but as I said before, I will buy it anyway :)

would be very nice indeed :)

Just don't hope too much and you won't get disappointed.

The screen in above picture is static, just a texture nothing else. Same as the screens in the ArmA Strykers.

Stealbeasts is a full-blown tank simulation, don't forget that. ArmA/ArmA2 is an infantry simulation first. It's unrealistic to expect the same amount of details like in SB in A2.

Stealbeasts is a full-blown tank simulation, don't forget that. ArmA/ArmA2 is an infantry simulation first. It's unrealistic to expect the same amount of details like in SB in A2.

Yes, you are right. We can't expect hardcore sim features in 50$ game, otherwise, why we would wanna buy 10 times expensive sims then. Also yes.. arma2 is not mainly directed to tanks. But I think some interiors, thermal sights, cams would be nice :yay:

But well, lets wait and see, only time will tell ;)

Edit: Just wonder, does anyone knows, will VBS2 have any tank interior? I haven't seen any of them since OFP

Edited by Mafia101

While not asking for the world, It would be cool if BI was more centered at adding military hardware/software details in expansion packs, instead of the usual story/campaign centered expansions(Resistance/red hammer/QG)

Edited by sparks50

Edit: Just wonder, does anyone knows, will VBS2 have any tank interior? I haven't seen any of them since OFP

Yes and no. Some tanks have interiour, some doesn't. The newer, recently added models all come without interiour but just the optics like in ArmA.

I agree with you W0lle, Steelbeasts Pro PE and ArmA2 are two different products.

Obviously, A2's armor cannot give the same level of fidelity as a dedicated tank sim.

It is interesting to look at Steelbeasts for reference but we should compare A2 with other games :

- Dragon Rising from Codemasters (A2's direct competitor!) may come with laser AND thermal sights : video @ 0:56,

- even one of the COD game had a mission where the player utilized thermal sights !

(and I have never considered the COD family as revolutionary games).

The OFP/ArmA family has established itself as the leader of battlefield simulator (primarily as an infantry simulation, it is true, but the vehicles too have always been an important part)

and I would like it to stay on top of the competition. Don't forget that nowadays, OFP/ArmA's audience is a bit more knowledgeable about how MBTs and combat helicopters operate : there are thousands of videos on youtube as references so it is only natural that we ask that the vehicles behave a little more realistically and less arcade.

What I (and other members, I think) am hoping for are some improvements for modern armoured vehicles (namely laser and thermals).

From OFP to ArmaII, graphics have improved, artificial intelligence has improved, maybe vehicles could improve now too :D

If BIS won't put those features into ArmaII, I hope that the modding community will be able to do it :yay:

While not asking for the world, It would be cool if BI was more centered at adding military hardware/software details in expansion packs, instead of the usual story/campaign centered expansions(Resistance/red hammer/QG)

It would be a good idea.

- even one of the COD game had a mission where the player utilized thermal sights !

(and I have never considered the COD family as revolutionary games).

I agree, this is definitely something BIS can learn from a fast action kiddie shooter - wow.

Also i saw COD4 has at least a more realistic Javelin Lock-on part than Arma1 "instant lock".... ok PhilipRauch will solve that for us for Arma1 and most likely Arma2.... :p :D

- FLIR looking almost perfectly realistic... Jesus those explosions are like from Iraq footages....

- Switching between magnifications, as opposed to BIS "continuous varaible Zooms" which they have since ever in all available optics (is it so hard to make some config/scripting switch for that?)

Wow, that gunship thing is breathtaking.....:eek: i really hope they will read what you posted and watch some of those videos....

I hope Bis will add some civilian air vehicles too like an old cessna or some russian equalent or some civilian helicopter for the police or others :)

Hello,

Since "infantry simulation" is nothing more than an euphemism for "Yet another plain old shooter" I would hope all further design & development beyond Arma2 does not just focus on the infantry man and his weaponry since that will result in nothing more than making this game even more arcade and in my opinion utterly boring.

The whole "tank interior" and "advanced vehicle systems" idea should not be even carried under the realism banner and be more about what could be fun.

Half the charm of sims like f4:af , black shark or steel beasts is sitting there interacting with your vehicle via buttons , screens and other fun stuff.

So I definately think BIS should in the future at least attempt to get more SIM stuff in. Obviously not for Arma2 (That should be all about AI and interacting with AI with the command system. It ain't a tactical game or "infantry simulation" if that doesn't work , just using AI as target practice and as dumb folk that follow you around is just a plain old boring shooter again).

On a more on topic note , I do hope as well that a russian fixed wing transport aircraft makes it into this game at one point. :)

Anyone knows if we will have throttle in percent (like a SIM, where you can leave it at 50/60/95 %) or it will be the same crappy system?

And there was any change in the flying mode of planes?

On a more on topic note , I do hope as well that a russian fixed wing transport aircraft makes it into this game at one point. :)

And the little parachute tanks they throw out the back of them. BMD.

Edited by Baff1

Well the latest video of a preview of ArmA II has been released, after looking at the video a couple of times, I have to say I'm a little bit impressed. Although some things still look the same as ArmA1.

Well to keep with this topics purpose. A new vehicles was seen in the video.

The HMMWV (M2 .50 Cal).

Unfortunately that's all the stuff I could see. Some good gameplay footage though.

Well the latest video of a preview of ArmA II has been released, after looking at the video a couple of times, I have to say I'm a little bit impressed. Although some things still look the same as ArmA1.

Well to keep with this topics purpose. A new vehicles was seen in the video.

The HMMWV (M2 .50 Cal).

Unfortunately that's all the stuff I could see. Some good gameplay footage though.

is this the 18 min video that was posted today in the Coverage thread?

is this the 18 min video that was posted today in the Coverage thread?

Yeah thats the one.

Someone mentioned VBS2 vehicles in the armor warfare (well more about VBS2 not the vehicles). Though some interesting things were found in looking into this.

On the subject of VBS2 take a look at this. I think the M270 is from it.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3560/3418862265_9d0e899d80_o_d.png (you will have to open it in a viewing program) Note the scratches, dirt on the front and how the camo matches up perfectly.

http://www.arma2.com/images/stories/vehicles/tracked/arma2_vehicles_tracked_MLRS.jpg

The AAV appears to be from VBS2 as well as the Predator, UH-1Y, parts from the VBS2 humvee (some of the tire, doorbits, actually it looks like the Arma1 humvee made it into VBS2, they tweaked some bits, BIS got it back, tweaked a bit more and are using it for ArmaII)

http://www.gettacticaldammit.com/PC%20Screens/VBS2_111.jpg

http://media.moddb.com/images/engines/1/1/88/Real_Virtuality_Comparison_Humvee.jpg

http://www.gettacticaldammit.com/PC%20Screens/VBS2_112.jpg

There are also some nonvehicle items from VBS2, rather interesting to look and see just how much vbs2 is actually in the game, even the civilian truck in Arma1/2 was from VBS1.

Edited by NodUnit

Some may demand that BI should make everything from scratch in these games,

but I'm OK with them using what they got, so more attention can be given to where it really counts.

Edited by sparks50

I agree, and nothing is wrong with using some exchanged content as it does look great, it does make me curious on the relationship between the two though.

You give us this and we'll give you this in return.

Personally I love it and it also makes me curious on what other things we might see that we have yet to see or subtle things we missed because it's not all just vehicles, the sandbags (I can't remember the name but their boxy and have wire mesh around them) in a recent ArmaII video are also from VBS2.

Edited by NodUnit

the sandbags (I can't remember the name but their boxy and have wire mesh around them) in a recent ArmaII video are also from VBS2.

Hesco Bastions?

also, if they're transferring content from VBS2, why not transfer the CH-46 and CH-53? I'd much rather have those two than the old blackhawk from ArmA I.

edit: nvm, would just open up another can o' offtopic worms

Hesco Bastions?

also, if they're transferring content from VBS2, why not transfer the CH-46 and CH-53? I'd much rather have those two than the old blackhawk from ArmA I.

It's too early to judge, we don't know what they may be hiding, something alot of people need to understand.

Hesco Bastions?

Correction, its a MH-60S Knighthawk - not a blackhawk ^^ used by the US Navy and apperently loaned out to the US Marines