Sign in to follow this  
Big-Rooney

ArmA II: The Vehicles

Hi, it's ovbious that the ArmA2 still on development and not finnished; it stills WIP.

So, they could/should fix some of the most ovbious bugs/mistakes before the

release; if you've seen on armedassault.info a video where the man goes close

to an AAV7P, then you may have noticed how the man turns the view to the

ground just for don't allow the camera to record the slow pass from LOD to LOD,

when he gets close, the AAV7P is just kinda like a big green box without much

detail, until some seconds before, that he rises up the camera and you can see

the AAV7P's 1St LOD again. This makes me belive that the AAV7P itself isn't yet

totally finnished and then i guess that the rest of the vehicles are the same.

That means that they're on time to fix some of the most clear mistakes that they've

made with the vehicles. The thing with the HMMWV it's a mistake as big as the

Texas state or as Australia, it's as big as Jupiter in the solar system; and i hope

that they fix it before the release. Let's C ya

The LODs are for one reason: Performance.

If you have constantly the 1st LOD the game would run worse than now. Also, in the video he moves too quickly for the LODs to load, so that's why he moves the camera away. I realised that too.

@Jakerod, Badlymad & MBot:

Thanks for the your info, I've added the Vehicles you listed to the list with your names beside them for everyone's knowledge. The Full list can be viewed Here. I've also added some vehicles that I found while looking through some pics and info on various sites.

I hope we have the ability to load supplies into the supply trucks. Then we can load the supply trucks into the C-130. I am dreaming.......right:butbut:

Yeah I think you are mate, The game is advanced but I don't think it will be that advanced.

Thats a really nice vehicle, Mobile Rocket Artillery War between CDF and ChDKZ, Nice spot MBot

On Topic - Are these all the ground vehicles that BLUFOR get? Not even a vulcan? Glad to see the MLRS though.

The Vulcan is a US Army vehicle that hasn't been in service for some years now, Why it was in ArmA 1 nobody but BIS knows (IMO it was there because BIS where afraid to go into advanced AA rockets systems in case it ruined the Air aspect of ArmA 1).

@Wipman:

Wipman, The Official Site describes the HMMWV as an up-armored version of the M1114 HMMWV, as has been pointed out by many people, the up-armored version is rarely seen with the side exhaust. The picture your showing of the Spanish Marine HMMWV is a standard M1026 not an up-armored M1114.

Also can anyone tell me what the last vehicle in this picture is? The one behind the BTR-90 and Kamaz Picture

Remember you can view the whole list of vehicles Here

Edited by Big-Rooney

That last vehicle is the Vodnik.

Also no need for the Vulcan when we have the Avenger, although the countermeasures of shell vs missile could present a problem on that aspect.

Edited by NodUnit

That last vehicle is the Vodnik.

Thanks NodUnit, after looking at that and the BIS official picture I reckon its a variant version.

Confirmed & Suspected ArmA II Vehicles List - Here

Edited by Big-Rooney

Big-Rooney, don't forget, that this is based on the same engine as VBS 2, and they can move around in vehicles.

It DOES state "fully transportable by C-130," and what other function would the C-130 actually have? Surely, it and the V-22 must have opening ramps.

I don't think we can load supplies into supply trucks, but surely the cargo aircraft will be able to transport vehicles.

It would add a whole new dimension to CASEVAC. Think about it - imagine dragging your unconscious friend out to a clearing, and radioing in a V-22. The ramp opens, and you can revive your teammate from the cover and safety of the fuselage.

You don't just add aircraft capable of carrying cargo and leave them at troop transport. ;)

Big-Rooney, don't forget, that this is based on the same engine as VBS 2, and they can move around in vehicles.

When did BIS say you can move around in vehicles?

I never said that BIS stated that it is possible to move around in vehicles in ArmA 2. I'm simply stating the fact that this is the same engine as VBS 2, so it is more than likely, that, with the addition of the V-22 and C-130, we will be able to move around in vehicles and possibly load cargo.

It DOES state "fully transportable by C-130," and what other function would the C-130 actually have? Surely, it and the V-22 must have opening ramps.

It would add a whole new dimension to CASEVAC. Think about it - imagine dragging your unconscious friend out to a clearing, and radioing in a V-22. The ramp opens, and you can revive your teammate from the cover and safety of the fuselage.

You don't just add aircraft capable of carrying cargo and leave them at troop transport. ;)

Well you make some good points there, I guess we'll have to wait until release unless BIS release what transport aircraft will actually be able to do in game.

Someone on the tactical gamer forum noticed that the Private boat at the bottom of the page is different than the one at the top. So you can add Private boat (blue, red)

I never said that BIS stated that it is possible to move around in vehicles in ArmA 2. I'm simply stating the fact that this is the same engine as VBS 2, so it is more than likely, that, with the addition of the V-22 and C-130, we will be able to move around in vehicles and possibly load cargo.

Just because it's based on the same engine doesn't mean it's the exact same engine.

I'm sure many of us would love to transport vehicles like that. But no point making assumptions, it's not guaranteed until BIS says it is :)

Edited by Maddmatt

Yes, I know that...

I'm just stating, that there is no point in adding a C-130 or a V-22 if they don't have the capability to drop the ramp and load cargo.

It is more then possible that they modified the engine to allow moving inside vehicles, and that is why you are seeing the C-130 and V-22.

So why isn't the LHD included as a vehicle, if you can move around inside vehicles and park cargo in/on them? Well, no one here truly knows how to operate a Wasp class. Its operation would therefore be guesswork, and impossible to do with only a captain. To maneuver the LHD could end up being quite unrealistic.

Might be possible to drive a vehicle in, but after that it cant move. Also when you para out from these aircrafts as well as drop a vehicle it's just done with an action. No moving around inside.

Would be cool if we could but... We'll see.

I'm just stating, that there is no point in adding a C-130 or a V-22 if they don't have the capability to drop the ramp and load cargo.

Well you could use them to paradrop troops or to transport troops. I really hope you're right but I am skeptical of it. I would love to move around in vehicles and also transport vehicles but I guess we will wait and see.

Yes, I know that...

It is more then possible that they modified the engine to allow moving inside vehicles, and that is why you are seeing the C-130 and V-22.

So why isn't the LHD included as a vehicle, if you can move around inside vehicles and park cargo in/on them? Well, no one here truly knows how to operate a Wasp class. Its operation would therefore be guesswork, and impossible to do with only a captain. To maneuver the LHD could end up being quite unrealistic.

"Well, no one here truly knows how to operate a Wasp class. Its operation would therefore be guesswork, and impossible to do with only a captain. To maneuver the LHD could end up being quite unrealistic"

I'm sorry. But can you explain in more detail what you mind here? You park it out three miles off land fall. And than the Marines take over from there. Plus. Ships being move in-game has been done on ArmA 1. If you really need to know how a LHD works. You can read about it.

Edited by ScorpionGuard

Yes, I know that...

There is. To transport troops. VBS2 is made by a seperate team.

Of course it is entirely possible that they made those changes, we have no way of knowing for sure what they are doing or what their plans are. Assumptions can be wrong.

I think it would be a little over the top if you could "get in LHD driver" and be the only one sailing it...for a ship that large, there are multiple positions, radar operator, sonar operator, captain, navigator etc.

With a PBX, you just start the engine and accomplish insertmissionhere (which is usually getting from point A to B).

Jake, Alex, there is no solid proof on the cargo transport...but we CAN be hopeful can't we?

Considering you are a small Force Recon team, why would you need an entire C-130 for your ops? Sure, it could be used to paradrop troops, but then again, scripting can accomplish that already without the need for a C-130.

Why would the V-22 be added too? Its different from all the other helos in that it has a cargo bay (and that no one knows whether its an airplane or a helo). If it wasn't intended for cargo transport, then the UH-1Y could theoretically accomplish the same job. ;)

Yes, there is no...solid proof. But you guys should remain hopeful. The clues are there.

I think it would be a little over the top if you could "get in LHD driver" and be the only one sailing it...for a ship that large, there are multiple positions, radar operator, sonar operator, captain, navigator etc.

With a PBX, you just start the engine and accomplish insertmissionhere (which is usually getting from point A to B).

Jake, Alex, there is no solid proof on the cargo transport...but we CAN be hopeful can't we?

Considering you are a small Force Recon team, why would you need an entire C-130 for your ops? Sure, it could be used to paradrop troops, but then again, scripting can accomplish that already without the need for a C-130.

Why would the V-22 be added too? Its different from all the other helos in that it has a cargo bay (and that no one knows whether its an airplane or a helo). If it wasn't intended for cargo transport, then the UH-1Y could theoretically accomplish the same job. ;)

Yes, there is no...solid proof. But you guys should remain hopeful. The clues are there.

Yes. But also there are multible stations on submarins. But the 688 (i) sim found away around that. By clicking the stations on the screen. You could control the L A Class sub. This will be a mod for the LHD anyway. I don't think BIS will go that far to make the LHD movible. Plus more code and script would be needed for the landing and debarking of vechicles and aircralf.

The Los Angeles class - you said it yourself, it is a sub.

Submarine warfare is based around time and patience - when you are above water, a sitting duck, you don't have time to click and swap around to do all those tasks.

It doesn't seem like there will be much Naval warfare, so actually manning the LHD has no purpose, and would be too complex to operate in a realistic manner. It takes 104 officers, and 1004 sailors to fully crew a Wasp. It just cannot be done in a realistic manner.

I know that there are multiple stations on submarines...I play Silent Hunter III on occasion...but in a sub simulator, there are only a few things to deal with. Ships and aircraft.

This is a joint arms simulator, simulating all facets of war, sea (small shipping), air and ground. 688i was hardcoded from the start to handle such task swapping. OFP and ArmA were not.

The Los Angeles class - you said it yourself, it is a sub.

Submarine warfare is based around time and patience - when you are above water, a sitting duck, you don't have time to click and swap around to do all those tasks.

It doesn't seem like there will be much Naval warfare, so actually manning the LHD has no purpose, and would be too complex to operate in a realistic manner. It takes 104 officers, and 1004 sailors to fully crew a Wasp. It just cannot be done in a realistic manner.

I know that there are multiple stations on submarines...I play Silent Hunter III on occasion...but in a sub simulator, there are only a few things to deal with. Ships and aircraft.

This is a joint arms simulator, simulating all facets of war, sea (small shipping), air and ground. 688i was hardcoded from the start to handle such task swapping. OFP and ArmA were not.

Ok. Point well taken. But lets look at the thoery. The Sub needs over 150 person to run the boat. On 688 (i) there are 14 stations. And rememder in OPF ArmA 1 & 2 there is AI. So. Will you realy needed to run the weapons system. No. The AI can scene a threat to the ship in km. Are in coming missiles. Sonar. That's a part of the weapons system. Auto weapons systems have been show in Jane's Fleet Command. Yes this will take heavy coding & scripting. But in thoery. It can be done. The AI in-game will help alot. AI can be C & S to work the Flight Deck. What's your take?

i cant really think of a single reason to make the LHD a driveable vehicle

i cant really think of a single reason to make the LHD a driveable vehicle

Mr 4 IN 1. The answear is. A person like me wish to make smaller Island to invade. Lets take a island about oh. 45 miles by 25 miles. With haevy sea defenses. On this map. Would you wish to have a LHD with in three miles of land fall?

The ArmA 2 map is 86.8729 mi2 sq. But I do remember reading some where. A map that is 300 km. That's 115.830 mi2.

Edited by ScorpionGuard

Ok. Point well taken. But lets look at the thoery. The Sub needs over 150 person to run the boat. On 688 (i) there are 14 stations. And rememder in OPF ArmA 1 & 2 there is AI. So. Will you realy needed to run the weapons system. No. The AI can scene a threat to the ship in km. Are in coming missiles. Sonar. That's a part of the weapons system. Auto weapons systems have been show in Jane's Fleet Command. Yes this will take heavy coding & scripting. But in thoery. It can be done. The AI in-game will help alot. AI can be C & S to work the Flight Deck. What's your take?

Well, to be honest I don't think this would truly be worth it in the end. There are no naval threats to the LHD in ArmA II (another reason why it is fine to leave it there, otherwise it just sails around with no objective), and there are no anti-shipping airplanes either, unless you want to go on a rocket run with the Frogfoot. ;)

It seemingly will not place too much focus on warfare at sea, so developing a task-swapping system would not be worth it. It could work, but it could also turn out to be very buggy, until we see the new AI.

In OFP they had the LST(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landing_Ship,_Tank) You could drive it, handled like a ship, but i dont think you could actually load stuff into it.... SO maybe the LHD would be movable, but not completely usable until it's stopped.

Your right. In OPF you could polit the MV from point A. To point B. But you couldn't unload or load anything. You couldn't even land on it.