Sign in to follow this  
EricM

Latest ArmA2 & ArmA2:OA Press Coverage | NO discussion here!

Since the single player scenarios seem to work fine for you, I assume you have the 1.01 (non-beta) version, which should be the same as the 505 release.

Yup, 1.01 version here.

Cool. The reason I was asking was that if it was indeed of "questionable origin", then the gameplay could well be very different from a normal copy thus rendering any review useless.

Couldn't agree more! I've ensured that this is one of the primary reasons that we have a zero tolerance approach towards piracy throughout the site's existence. :)

Edited by Greg Wild

Hello chaps,

I've reviewed ArmA II over on thereticule.com. Despite the negative verdict, I shall be re-reviewing it once I get access to the online features, and more importantly, feel that the issues with bugs and optimization have been dealt with.

[couple of minor spoilers perhaps, mostly related to some of the objectives you are asked to complete. Less about the actual results of completing them.]

Why do you not have access to online features?

I've approached that issue above, and it has been edited into the post to make things clear :)

PC Gamer Magazine has a four page article on Arma 2 in the new issue. Photographed it:

th_PIC_0002.jpg

th_PIC_0003.jpg

Good to read such "rather positive reviews", and thanks for being objective Greg Wild.

Regards,

TB

I don't think I've read it, what version did you test? I thought Manhattan was quite debugged in 1.01 final

I don't think I've read it, what version did you test? I thought Manhattan was quite debugged in 1.01 final

1.01 was the patch I was given access to. Manhattan's still a mess, unfortunately. An amazing piece of work, and the mission itself seems brilliant, conceptually. However, having tried to play through it three times, each time coming across issues that prevented numerous objectives being completed, I cannot consider it functional.

Edited by Greg Wild

Perfectly normal (I mean, to not consider it functional ;) )

It will be nice if physics do get improve in the future, but i think true FLIR (not some mock-ups with black and white over blooming stuff) is need if they want to sell well, as a pack

That actually accurately depicts FLIR used on some vehicles, namely last gen.

:confused:hum? I dont remember any generation of FLIR is looking like those :confused:

Edited by 4 IN 1

Unfortunately due to the rules I cannot post any video's here but on youtube there are a number of FLIR videos, most notably with this 'distortion' are AH-64 and AH-1W. You will likely find clearer footage which is either Arrowhead or AH-1Z's TSS.

But if you do go hunting for those video's know that not everything is labelled correctly (naturally) if it has a cross and X joined together it's likely footage from a AH-1Z, if it has a big crosshair that fills the screen it's an AH-1W (circle around the reticle if in hellfire mode) and AH-64 has only the cross reticle with a box on the bottom and compass at the top of the screen and is the one you will see that is usually the most 'distorted'. Uncertain of UAV as I've seen clear and 'distorted' FLIR, don't know enough to make any judgement on wether it's the right thing or not.

Anyway I just thought of a video I can show since it doesn't depict a person being killed..or somebody pissing.

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/data/assets/mfc/Videos/MFC_Arrowhead_Vdieo1.mpg 1st Gen PNVS 2nd Gen Arrowhead.

Edited by NodUnit

Nice little bonus edition over at game (UK based)[/Quote]

(in the small print)

'...The map will be a pdf so you will need the required software to open it.'

eh strange.. :butbut:

Aww

Arma 2 got in on this 'top 20' games of 2009" at #15 with real gameplay. (DR got in at #6 with CGI... go figure)

(in the small print)

'...The map will be a pdf so you will need the required software to open it.'

eh strange.. :butbut:

Aww

So no different from other pre-order things like exclusive weapons in shooters that the code is shared around and works for all, or boxers to unlock in a boxing game with the same codes shared around.

Any news on a demo?...Is there one coming before the EUR release?

Hi all

Purpose of a developer in releasing a demo is to increase sales.

So it then comes down to marketing strategy. Releasing a Demo before you have a stable software version will probably negatively affect sales.

Any one who is going to buy ArmA any way is unlikely to affected in their choice of a buying ArmA by a demo other than negatively.

Since the advent of the internet it is possible to create a buzz around a game with a good demo, but in these days of youtube good in game user videos are even better at driving sales as long as you can get the public to see them. That requires both internet and traditional media. A Youtube video can realy take off if you can get media outlet to take it up.

So while I had heard that the demo was due out before release. I would suggest that the better option is to release the demo after the 505 release and to do so via the game press first.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

Feel free to "you-noob" me if I'm wrong, but I don't think this has been posted here yet:

ArmA2 - Stunning graphics and extreme hardware requirements

http://pctuning.tyden.cz/multimedia/hry-a-zabava/14190-arma-2-perfektni-grafika-a-extremni-naroky

It's an article dedicated to quite extensive performance testing of ArmA2. Graphics cards, processors, tweaking in-game settings, you name it..

It's in czech though, but the charts are quite clear and I'm sure you know how to use web-translators (which I don't so don't ask me:p)

Edited by Myshaak
added article headline

Problem is that guy who tested it is terrible amateur, so that test results are horrible wrong. Make this kind of tests at university lessons of meassuring i will be kicked out from lesson without pardon :(

Problem is that guy who tested it is terrible amateur, so that test results are horrible wrong. Make this kind of tests at university lessons of meassuring i will be kicked out from lesson without pardon :(

Kinda agree. Try changing the aniso filter while looking at camoflague nets. HUGE difference between 0-16x. In his screens there's no difference.

I find funny how fast you guys from BI are at bashing reviewers/previewers and don't even bother visiting the suggestions threads.

I find funny how fast you guys from BI are at bashing reviewers/previewers and don't even bother visiting the suggestions threads.

You know that they don't visit the suggestion threads... how, again? :rolleyes:

And when have they jumped to bash reviewers? Just re-read that. If that is true, I must be having 4-6fps instead of the 20-35 I currently do. Not that accurate indeed.

Edited by Scrub

You know that they don't visit the suggestion threads... how, again? :rolleyes:

Because there is no input by BI in numerous suggestions threads, and I always see someone from BI here, when bad reviews/previews are reported?

And your reply to my post was about?

EDIT:

@Scrub: When you say "that guy who tested it is terrible amateur" you are bashing.

But my main point is, I would love to see someone from BI replying in such a fast fashion in the suggestions thread, as they do here.

Edited by Jorge.PT