Sign in to follow this  
EricM

Latest ArmA2 & ArmA2:OA Press Coverage | NO discussion here!

Hey arma folks. Im new here.

I've been searching the forums for a few weeks.

after some searchin i still cannot find any evidence that the player can haul vehicles in a c130. Can it be done? can i for instance in a coop/mp game hold a tank/jeep/apc in the cargo hold and maybe drop it? It would be awesome if i could hold some human players, fly em over the battlezone and give the green light and they paratroop down.

the arma2 website says:

"

The C-130J “Super Hercules“ is an American tactical airlifter. This four-engine turbo-prop military transport aircraft is capable of transporting up to 92 passengers or up to 33 tons of cargo. The C-130J with a range of more that 5.000 km and maximum speed of 671 kph is considered to be most important transport aircraft worldwide.

"

Now i dont know if these are the real specs (even so, arma2 is a milsim so would not be surprised to see real specs incorporated in vehicles), but it suggests that it can hold people.

I've read some posts about the cargo door not being able to open. And movies about the c130 show a player hud (on the left side) which shows options like 'goto back seat', 'flaps up/down' but not 'open cargodoor'

and i have not seen movies where peeps load up a vehicle

can someone clear this up for me?

[edit] i suddenly realise that i do not know if this is the right place to ask this..

Edited by Comm512

you couldnt, simple as that, however, with the new attachto command you can haul it into the cargo and air drop it(but no you cant simply drive it into the aircraft and take off)

PC Games have posted a 'second impression' article in which they discuss the effects of the beta-patch (now final); http://www.pcgames.de/aid,686522/ArmA-2-Bug-Report-und-Zweit-Eindruck-Das-bringt-der-Patch-101-wirklich/PC/Special/

- they have noticed a lot of bugfixes, but there are still many bugs left

- scripts work better, mission Manhattan now playable, but still buggy

- number of crashes drastically reduced

- transport helicopter in the campaign still crashes into into woods or houses

- AI reacts better

- sound bugs remain

- enemies are still detected even though they are not in the line of sight

- quality of AI behaviour still not consistent

- ArmA 2 still needs a lot of patches

Ok, fair enough. but could you help me by explaining the purpose of a player being able to fly a c130? i hope not just to get 1 player (myself in this case) from a to b and jump out and let it crash.. the battlefield way. there must be more reasons for the c130 to be in the game right?. can it haul people flown by a player (so not just the AI dropping)?

PC Games have posted a 'second impression' article in which they discuss the effects of the beta-patch (now final); http://www.pcgames.de/aid,686522/ArmA-2-Bug-Report-und-Zweit-Eindruck-Das-bringt-der-Patch-101-wirklich/PC/Special/

- they have noticed a lot of bugfixes, but there are still many bugs left

- scripts work better, mission Manhattan now playable, but still buggy

- number of crashes drastically reduced

- transport helicopter in the campaign still crashes into into woods or houses

- AI reacts better

- sound bugs remain

- enemies are still detected even though they are not in the line of sight

- quality of AI behaviour still not consistent

- ArmA 2 still needs a lot of patches

They dont really expect that ONE patch can fix all problems aint they?:confused:

Ok, fair enough. but could you help me by explaining the purpose of a player being able to fly a c130? i hope not just to get 1 player (myself in this case) from a to b and jump out and let it crash.. the battlefield way. there must be more reasons for the c130 to be in the game right?. can it haul people flown by a player (so not just the AI dropping)?

I think they have cargo position in C130 so holding people shouldnt be a problem, but i dont have the game so we need someone who have the game to answer this correctly

Edited by 4 IN 1

They dont really expect that ONE patch can fix all problems aint they?:confused:

i don't know where you'd get that idea. :confused: they are simply stating what the patch does and what it doesn't do.

knowning that BIS supports the games they build for years after release, i have no doubt that they will fix it eventually.

ArmA 2 scored 83% in PC Gamer 202 - July 2009 (UK). Credit for info goes to Lewis on Preys World forum:

http://forum.preys-world.com/viewtopic.php?t=25508

PCG UK:

"[Despite the problems] ArmA 2 continually wowed me. I subjected my squad to frequent helicopter rides just to sit watching the world pass below, wondering what would happen if I ordered the chopper pilot to drop us off in one of the villages below. One mission was interrupted by one of our recon planes being shot out of the sky with a rocket, which had nothing to do with anything. I've yomped through forests to stumble across tank battles in full swing without me.

The single-player storyline genuinely takes the ArmA series and war games to new places... if it hooks you in, you've just found a game capable of providing infinite entertainment, and that's astonishing."

PC Zone magazine (August) came out & reviewed ARMA2

Quote: "Again the AI tends to put its foot in it in these situations, as if throwing a tantrum having had control taken away from it. For instance, as he pleaded with me the priest was gently rotating on the spot"

They gave is 70%, concluding

On the plus side:

+ frighteningly realistic, dynamic, constantly changing battlefield, you can jump over walls...

On the minus side:

- shockingly unpolished, unfriendly interface.

hope it gets sorted out. :butbut:

Were these reviews done with the German version? Seems kinda early for the 505 to be available.

That is pretty misleading then, this is not the version that will be found in English stores.

I hope other international media wont "jump the gun" and do this mistake again.

Are they even 'allowed' to do so?

BTW, I've found the Dutch TV show that was at 505's london presentation and their article about the presentation. IT IS IN DUTCH AND SHOWS ONLY TRAILERS

http://www.gamekings.tv/index/videos/perstrip-monster-hunter-en-arma-ii/

But they are quite positive about the game, telling it came quite unexpected and they

did actually miss the release of ArmA but followed the life cycle of the game a bit. I'm glad they are a positive as they gave OFP:E a 40% score

so the story repeats itself - we have to wait about one year before the game is worth installing.

so the story repeats itself - we have to wait about one year before the game is worth installing.

Uh, no.

I've had terrible fun with ARMA 2 so far.

Granted, I didn't play the campaign much though.

That is pretty misleading then, this is not the version that will be found in English stores.

I hope other international media wont "jump the gun" and do this mistake again.

somebody correct me if i'm wrong, but the 505 release will be v1.01, which is the same version that the German release is currently at, with the patch.

somebody correct me if i'm wrong, but the 505 release will be v1.01, which is the same version that the German release is currently at, with the patch.

No, by the time the 505 version comes out there will be another patch for the german version.

No, by the time the 505 version comes out there will be another patch for the german version.

i don't think so:

I believe we already went a long way since version 1.00 and that the upcoming patch 1 next week will improve the game heavily, especially the quality of the campaign. This version 1.01 is also what will be released in rest of the world. In late June we plan to release Patch 2, version 1.02 which should provide even more.

source: PC Games interview with Marek Spanel (http://www.pcgames.de/aid,685486/ArmA-2-PC-Games-testet-die-Militaer-Simulation-mit-Videobeweis-und-Interviews-Update/PC/News/?page=2)

According to Peter Games the next patch will be available on 19th of June.

Source(german)

strange. who to believe? developer or publisher? :confused:

Well you could say the 19th of june, is late june.

But i assumed that the 505 version would be a lot less buggy then the morphicon version. I thought the first patch was just a hotfix and the next patch will be the 505 version.

Edited by Mr Reality

Well you could say the 19th of june, is late june.

But i assumed that the 505 version would be a lot less buggy then the morphicon version. I thought the first patch was just a hotfix and the next patch will be the 505 version.

well, he did say that v1.01 will be released worldwide. :confused:

Why do people care if the reviews are based on the German version or not? The version released later this month isnt going to be any super improved, correct me if im wrong. They said 1.02 will be released later this month, but the Germans will get that patch as well. But good that they are improving the game, really love it.

Well what i dont get is, if the original german version was so bad and BIS were kinda forced to release it that way. How come patch 1.01 wasn't already under development. I mean they released patch 1.01 in under a week didn't they. This tells me that this is just a hotfix for the german release, alright it's a rather large hotfix, but i would hope that the 505 version is going to be a whole lot better than ArmA 2 version 1.01.

GameStar have now posted their review and verdict of ArmA 2 (v1.01): 66%.

they criticise mainly the unfinished state of the game (bugs), the cheating and inconsistant AI and the antiquated physics. they praise the graphics, the scale and variety, the singleplayer content (tainted by bugs, though), and the fascinating potential that the game has. they hope that additional patches will improve the game and consider a re-review if they do.

http://www.gamestar.de/test/action/taktik-shooter/1956645/arma_2.html