Sign in to follow this  
EricM

Latest ArmA2 & ArmA2:OA Press Coverage | NO discussion here!

Oh man, watched several reviews or read them, they are ALL devastating. Magazines talking about a milestone in the gaming industry...a negative one though.

I'm pretty sure they're exagerating...

Oh man, watched several reviews or read them, they are ALL devastating. Magazines talking about a milestone in the gaming industry...a negative one though.

Uh, mind providing us with some examples?

I see these critics as needing an instant blast of molded prepared fat free safe entertainment. This isn't a mainstream game! The majority of people haven't heard of it like the millions that were brainwashed with crysis commercials for such an irritatingly long time. It's a cult game, most people that have played OFP and ArmA a lot will buy it without a 2nd thought, as we know the potential fun that we can have with it. These reviewers have probably never stayed up all night playing a game in their lives. Come on! people were not part of the force fed society.. Look at the stupid amount of commercial advertising on that website.. These people obviously have very little integrity. Epic games like this take time to become perfect and they do it from the feedback from the massive user base..

I'm going to have so much fun playing this over this weekend, you want to try and stop me by saying they should have waited and waited for a perfect release.. Well you better bring a big gun if your gonna try ms daisy…

OK rant over, sorry for the rant, read too many moaning threads in the last few hours.. back to looking forward to leaving work so I can play ArmA 2 :bounce3:

All the german press negative.

All users review I read positive.

Can I LOL?

Can I LOL?

the game has alot of potential, but it needs atleast 3 months of testing and bug fixing imo.

What a huge let down!! Really..

Only for those who havent played the game and read german reviews, not according to those who actually played it.

the game has alot of potential, but it needs atleast 3 months of testing and bug fixing imo.

More drama, plz.

Has no one seen this (what I think is a user made) trailer yet?

. I couldn't find any mention of it in this thread.

EDIT: I didn't see the ArmA II impressions thread. Probably best talking about it in there.

Edited by Jakerod

I`m so sorry for BIS :(

It's obvious now,the game is simply not finished.I am sure even if BIS makes games 20 years from now they are going to release games that require patching,that's because of the complexity of the engine.

Arma 2 required just one very important thing above injury system,physics,perfect AI,missing features or misc bugs...a polished campaign.The campaign is the perfect showcase of the technology,posibilities and excitement that can be offered by BIS games at it's finest,it shouldn't require prior experience,fiddling or anything else.

Just large scale combat with a cohesive storyline that's polished from begining to end-you see the island corner to corner,you fight the war,try the weapons,use the vehicles and at the end you get it.

If that's broken,reviewers will murder this game.Even Operation Flashpoint was far from perfect but it did cover this aspect very well...

Alas,let's see what happens next..

Can I LOL?

I disagree. From what I have seen, the user reviews have been split 50/50 between the posetive and negative commennts. Everyone seems to agree the ARMA 2 has an excellent environment and performs quite well. However, there have been a lot of negative comments about the AI, weapons handling, physics, damage moddeling and such by the users. Sounds like the magazine reivewers are saying the same thing...

Peace,

DreDay

I disagree. From what I have seen, the user reviews have been split 50/50 between the posetive and negative commennts. Everyone seems to agree the ARMA 2 has an excellent environment and performs quite well. However, there have been a lot of negative comments about the AI, weapons handling, physics, damage moddeling and such by the users. Sounds like the magazine reivewers are saying the same thing...

Peace,

DreDay

Where?

Where?

Please be more specific...

Peace,

DreDay

I mean, I don't read german unfortunately, so I've only access to a handfull of players reviews (some french guys, english speaking people here and there), and all are mostly positive, but most of all, they do not mention the glaring issues pointed by game sites.

EDIT : though I just read Ohara confirmation of the most glaring bug in troubleshooting section.

Edited by whisper

I mean, I don't read german unfortunately, so I've only access to a handfull of players reviews (some french guys, english speaking people here and there), and all are mostly positive, but most of all, they do not mention the glaring issues pointed by game sites.

EDIT : though I just read Ohara confirmation of the most glaring bug in troubleshooting section.

We are in the same boat, whisper. My German is very poor as well. I was just going by on what I have read in the "German Release" "Micro AI" and "First Impressions" threads on this board, as well as Bert's thread in Tactical Gamer. My impression is that there are 3-4 die hard critics and about the same amount of "fan boys" while everyone else recognizes the potential of the game but also has alot of the gripes about the implementation.

One thing that I will say though, is that the magazine articles do sound very sensationalist (at least the way that they were translated here). However, I don't see why they would have any hidden agenda. The game is developed by a Central European company and OFP had been the darling of the PC Gaming magazines when it first came out...

Peace,

DreDay

The community's more positive impressions are due to the fact that most OFP/ARMA fans know that most of the bugs will be ironed out with patches (BIS is proven to be dedicated to help the community). Game review sites and maganizes review the game as a finished product. And that's what they should do.

However, if you read the "first impressions" and "german release" or "troubleshooting" threads you may notice that several people have encountered the bugs mentioned in the reviews. You can even find video evidence of non-reacting AI. Of course, you can also find videos showing impressive AI behaviour :) Still, at this point, few people have played the game enough to determine how much the bugs really affect the gameplay. How often the bugs crop up and how much they cripple the gameplay and so on...

There's no arguing that the German release (potentially even the International release) was rushed and the reported bugs and glitches reflect this fact. This is unfortunate, because before the release BIS PR said the game was stable and fairly bug-free.

Arma2 might well be the best game released this year, but it was still released unfinished. That's game business. TakeTwo just announced that they postpone Mafia 2 to polish the game and betatest it more. BIS probably didn't have the luxury of betatesting the game until they were pleased.

GameStar have published the second part of their review diary here, and it's not pretty :( : http://www.gamestar.de/specials/spiele/1956417/test_tagebuch_arma_2_p2.html .

'in terms of bugs, ArmA 2 is not a total failure like ArmA 1 was, but that's neither a compliment nor a recommendation. whereas fans of the series may overlook some of the issues, the current state of the game is inacceptable for a retail version.'

I hope that someone in Prague understands German...

GameStar have published the second part of their review diary here, and it's not pretty :( : http://www.gamestar.de/specials/spiele/1956417/test_tagebuch_arma_2_p2.html .

Ohh yeahh thats not pretty, but sadly correct!

whereas fans of the series may overlook some of the issues, the current state of the game is inacceptable for a retail version.'
Sorry but: How true!

Not bad meant, but I hope this was a lesson for BIS they will not forget anytime soon!

Even though i know its this german, greedy, sub-prime publisher and its completely lack of *everything*, its still BIS who has chosen them, despite the fact that massive parts of the german fans don't like this Publisher at all, after various not so nice incidents, i will better not post here. :rolleyes:

I always said, if you have any moral you don't buy from Morphicon!

Ahh its all so sad what happens here........:eek: I don't know if i can stand another of those reviews putting the truth in your face:rolleyes:

However this Article is way less bashing than for instance this PC Action Article from Yesterday, which was full of sarcasm and not so nice comparisons...

The second Part (is important!) of the Conclusion from Article-Part2 is this (free translated by me):

What makes me even more angry than the bugs, is the completey screwed communitcation and report system. It simply does not work at all and something like this should have been found and adressed in the Alpha and Beta Tests! Especially as the whole game mechanic is close tied to the overall perception of the game. Here Bohemia has to completely replace the system before we even rudimentarily start to give anywhere near "good" ratings!
Edited by mr.g-c

Well, all of BIS' games have started out very rough, but they improve greatly after release. The v1.14 patch for ArmA was given "Patch of the Month" by PC Gamer, beating out games like BF2, COD4 and World in Conflict, as an example. I think the real issue here is there's not a huge difference between ArmA and ArmA II, thus not giving the need for it to be a different game rather than a patch. That said, I'll still enjoy it no matter what.