Sign in to follow this  
avibird 1

ArmA2 - The Xbox 360 thread

True, the point is - how did it end up on their website? It's not like they're trawling through this forum and figures "hey, maybe the 360 comes soon. Let's photoshop something and put it up". They got this info from their distributor and again - it's not like their distributor is browsing these forums...

Well it might come on xbox but i find it strange that they get a specific date while nobody else have heard anything at all :confused:

To all the people saying that it is too demanding a game to make it onto consoles, that's the whole idea behind optimizing and toning down textures, etc.

Even if they had to make a slightly stripped version like Elite, it would be better than most of the over the top stuff on consoles now. Even though I like them, I's prefer more thoughtful stuff like Arma2.

Bohemia, bring it over, announce something, please.

I rather they fixing the PC version first... Anyways, an Xbox360 or PS3 version is totally pointless

Even if they had to make a slightly stripped version like Elite, it would be better than most of the over the top stuff on consoles now.

Slightly... i think it's gonna be more than just slightly stripped to fit an xbox :eek:

To all the people saying that it is too demanding a game to make it onto consoles, that's the whole idea behind optimizing and toning down textures, etc.

Even if they had to make a slightly stripped version like Elite, it would be better than most of the over the top stuff on consoles now. Even though I like them, I's prefer more thoughtful stuff like Arma2.

Bohemia, bring it over, announce something, please.

1. consoles can't handle 20-25k polys per model (vehicles), ~10k everything else

2. consoles can't handle 2048 2^ textures too well either. Especially when you have several per model.

3. consoles can't handle...etc

So while for some that mights sound right, your slightly stripped version of A2 actually means a having everything redone. Not to mention the controls, where the amounts of keys not fitting on a normal 103key layout would need to fit on a joypad...

Not getting into a console vs PC fight, i am actually looking forward to seeing A2 hitting console market (if that would ever happen)

There wouldn't be much left ... I'd love to see some optimization in general ... and by that I mean ... 64bit support ... and ... multicore support ... and multi-gpu support ...

It could probably be done though, but I don't think it would be possible without a lot of work.

I'm pretty sure that removing the highest LOD from models and scaling the textures down would make units much more console-friendly. The main problem I see is Chernarus. I imagine getting that map to run well on a console will be difficult. That's why I'm betting that if they do make a console version of Arma2, it will be Operation Arrowhead.

Operation Arrowhead would be nice to see on consoles, whats the release date for it on pc?

"When it's done." ;)

Last I read, I think they were aiming at some time around spring next year.

Hey all. I just registered here after browsing for a while and you can add my name to the list of those eager to see Arma 2 debut on consoles. I know a lot of people in this thread are going on about how the Arma franchise should remain exclusive to computer players while others are arguing that attention to consoles need not mean neglect on the PC side, so I thought it would be interesting to see your reactions to this:

http://www.bistudio.com/developers-blog/arma-2-expectations-2_en.html

At the bottom there is a section on console development and unless BIS radically altered their opinions (which I don't see as realistic b/c of the proliferation of console ownership throughout the US population) it looks like we may get future titles like Arma2: OA.

Edited by Buzzin Fr0g

Hi all

Quoting from that excelent reminder from Buzzin Fr0g link

Console Release

There are various possible ways to look at a console release of ARMA 2: some hard core PC gamers don't like it much and are worried it may dumb down the game somehow. Others are happy to be able to look forward playing such a complex combat simulation on consoles.

Anyway, for Bohemia Interactive it is the only logical step. PC gaming is declining overall, especially (but not only) in North America. The PC platform suffers because of many severe compatibility and stability problems and the transition to Windows Vista does not help the platform in this regard over the short term. The good thing is that we are already experienced with consoles after our long struggle with Operation Flashpoint Elite for Xbox . We already know what we like and dislike regarding the development (and playing) of a combat simulation game on console, and with this hard earned knowledge we feel in the case of ARMA 2 this multiplatform approach is not only a commercially viable move but it also helps the game to be better on both platforms. All we want is to make it a more accessible and streamlined game than the current ARMA is. For that we do not need and do not want to remove anything that made Operation Flashpoint and ARMA so immersive and our focus on realism in the sense of open simulated game world will remain unchanged.

My use of bold in the body of the text in that quote

http://www.bistudio.com/developers-blog/arma-2-expectations-2_en.html

As allways follow the link to the original source

Welcome to the community Buzzin Fr0g.

Kind Regards walker

Walker,

I would love to see an Arma-style game on console but bear in mind that info is two years old. Apart from the OA dev footage of the 360s, I haven't seen many updates, hints etc.

Walker,

I would love to see an Arma-style game on console but bear in mind that info is two years old. Apart from the OA dev footage of the 360s, I haven't seen many updates, hints etc.

The point of my post wasn't to indicate that Arma 2 was coming, it was to highlight the direction the company is heading with info from the horse's mouth as opposed to speculation. The post is 2 years old, but those 2 years certainly haven't seen an explosion in the popularity of PC gaming, whereas the console market is continuing to grow. That's why I find it unrealistic that BIS's goals have changed drastically in that time frame.

Walker - Thanks for the welcome!

Please Lord don´t let BIS EVER release a Arma for PC and Console.

A Console just can´t handle a mega Game like this (see OPF DR), not to mention the mods that would be missing on a console

Hi Tonci87

DR failed because they chose a Rag Doll style physics engine so they could have gucci exploding vehicles and floppy flacid bodies.

No one did the math on how much processor time such form over function pointless graphic whoring for two seconds of floppy flacid body costs. Or worked out how they could send such a truck load of data over the internet.

From now on ragdoll shall be refered to as flacid dick.

I was quoting the BIS post as support for my points about the economic realities.

Hi all

There are many reasons to port ArmA II to consoles.

One it is an extra income stream on code that is already written. Contrary to some opinions porting would not cost much in terms of time or effort since BIS already released elite it has proven it can do the Control interface. It is standard cash cow strategy. Certainly an X Box conversion would be simple.

Two there is a major strategic reason:

Placing ArmA in the console market forces all other console developers to compete and BIS have a massive; even spectacular, head start on them. ArmA II is so far in advance of other FPS that it cuts the legs out from under other FPS developers. You have only to look at how it forced Codemasters to try and play on the same ground and was so decisively beaten on it. Since DR came out ArmA II sales have increased as disappointed customers have flocked to ArmA.

Three is that the market is larger than the PC market and taking market share. So that is the way the wind blows.

Four it is less susceptible to piracy and simpler to protect your IP.

Five is another strategic reason. BIS's real product is its engine. Not ArmA. Once BIS has its engine working well in a console it can start churning out game after game after game based on it.

Kind Regards walker

And my point that it was perfectly technically feasable

Hi JW Custom

Not only do I think it is possible for BIS to build ArmA for X-Box 360 but I think it would improve the code we get on PC and I am using historical evidence as proof of that.

Elite was compressed onto the old X-Box; not even an X-Box 360 and was technically more capable than its progenitor and in point of fact large amounts of the code that made ArmA possible and improved OFP and now makes up ArmA came out of that effort.

A tour through the coding history of the Real Virtuality engine would I think prove beneficial to the naysayers.

Kind Regards walker

When you also consider BIS already have the equipment training and software investment in developing for consoles the only question is time. Which in the end is a project planning and capital matter.

Once BIS have the real virtuality engine working on console. They can then license the engine and make vast somes of money from it.

I personaly think that Carrier Command will be the Real Virtuality Engine on Console.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

DR failed because they chose a Rag Doll style physics engine so they could have gucci exploding vehicles and floppy flacid bodies.

If it only was that, DR fail because it's a console port which is limited by same limitations the console have.

If it only was that, DR fail because it's a console port which is limited by same limitations the console have.

Hi JW Custom

In all honesty you are incorrect.

Porting to a console improves code by making it more efficient, condensed and refined. And As I pointed out it resulted in better code for OFP and then ArmA.

Most code in modern systems is bloatware because it has too much room.

The Amiga operating system was a fully preemptive multitasking windowing OS in less than 0.75mb compare it to windows or Mac OS which to run at the same capabilities is hundreds of megs if not gigabytes.

Limiting the size of your environment makes for better code not worse. Any programmer will tell you that.

I seriously wonder if the reason we are seeing such vast improvements in the Betas of ArmA II is not because BIS are porting ArmA II to console. That was certainly the case when we had the massive improvement in OFP code up to 1.96 just before Elite was released.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker
too not to

Almost all games that are made for console and ported to pc have great limits and dumbed down gameplay... look at OFP:DR editor or MW2 for example! i don't mind if they make future games for consoles and pc :) i just hope they don't restrict the pc version to the consoles limits!

Walker,

Hi all, I have not made any replays on this thread for a few weeks because of what I did. I let some information out from the developers that was only for me and that was very wrong of me to do that. I did it because some of the people on this thread just talk crap and I hate when people tell me that I am lying when I am telling the truth.

The bottom line BOHEMIA wants to make a console game and it is only a matter of time when it happens. BOHEMIA has been working on ARMA-2 for the 360 this is a fact. If they can't get it to run right then ARROWHEAD is the next step for them to take.

I am sorry for all you PC BOYS that don't want this to happen but console gaming is the future for any video game developer if they want to make a good profit. It will happen so get over it and just have fun with your PC game and all the great mod you get to play with. The console community will be happy with the vanilla game minus the major bugs that you get on release.

Almost all games that are made for console and ported to pc have great limits and dumbed down gameplay... look at OFP:DR editor or MW2 for example! i don't mind if they make future games for consoles and pc :) i just hope they don't restrict the pc version to the consoles limits!

i will agree that it shouldnt be restricted but being that it would be a pc port and not a console port i dont see that happening if they released a multiplatform title

dragon rising is just horrible regardless of it being multiplatform...if it was released solely on the pc it would still suck because the developers dont know wtf they are doing.....mw2 is just a money grab and overall players arent impressed with it like they were with cod4...i dont see things getting better for that title...mw2 will be the last major money exploit they pull off....even if later titles vastly improve alot of gamers will still be skeptical

Hi Tonci87

No one did the math on how much processor time such form over function pointless graphic whoring for two seconds of floppy flacid body costs. Or worked out how they could send such a truck load of data over the internet.

From now on ragdoll shall be refered to as flacid dick.

I was quoting the BIS post as support for my points about the economic realities.

And my point that it was perfectly technically feasable

When you also consider BIS already have the equipment training and software investment in developing for consoles the only question is time. Which in the end is a project planning and capital matter.

Once BIS have the real virtuality engine working on console. They can then license the engine and make vast somes of money from it.

I personaly think that Carrier Command will be the Real Virtuality Engine on Console.

Kind Regards walker

This guy speaks wisdom. Physics are nice but they're evil to system resources which is awesome that Arma 2 doesnt have them we would have laggy MP and horrible frame rates on all systems.

Physics are nice but they're evil to system resources which is awesome that Arma 2 doesnt have them we would have laggy MP and horrible frame rates on all systems.

Yes, we would have laggy MP and horrible frame rates...

Oh wait.

Nevermind. :rolleyes:

Where is the guy who said ARMA2 was coming to consoles FORSURE by November 2009 :p

I said that and have already eaten my words , and i ask you a question , does this change anything ?

This guy speaks wisdom. Physics are nice but they're evil to system resources which is awesome that Arma 2 doesnt have them we would have laggy MP and horrible frame rates on all systems.
Havok isnt that demanding.....Soon the base comp will be QuadCore (i bet it is right now at any store) There is still alot of cpu left on the quad to use, its a Dev support to spend the time coding it in... Its not about your resources its about Dev resources.

I guess it is time to forget the whole Arma2/360 idea (much to the delight of pc gamers) because the facts speak for themselves:

1. No word/news/hint whatsoever from BIS

2. Ppl loose interest in the subject

I had to dig up this thread, with only 2 msg in the last 14 days. Btw, i come by just out of habit, nothing special ... you can not count my posting as 'interest in ArmA2/360' (although it will *bump* this thread)