Sign in to follow this  
Raptor

GC 2008 Press Coverage

I would like to thank armabase.de and all the hosters for the videos. smile_o.gif And of course BIS for giving the presentations wink_o.gif

It all keeps looking very nice. One can really get the impression that BIS really wants to improve the gameplay as well this time around.

But of course we will only see when the game is out.

That new user-interface and context-sensistivity is nice , but I have a couple of changes and other things I would like to see there,

I put that in the interface thread to not clutter this thread up.

I wonder if that huge vehicle list also includes heavy helicopters , I love the "Factions" thing by the way. Already thank you for that. That will unclutter the editor a lot.

The graphics continue to look nice even tho with more footage shown I believe there is a little bit too much bloom on white surface sometimes and Video4 had in my unqualified opinion too much HDR-blindness and contrast between bright/dark. But its all WIP ,it was filmed of a screen and we will see how you can change the settings ingame in the final as well smile_o.gif

The graphics continue to look nice even tho with more footage shown I believe there is a little bit too much bloom on white surface sometimes and Video4 had in my unqualified opinion too much HDR-blindness and contrast between bright/dark. But its all WIP ,it was filmed of a screen and we will see how you can change the settings ingame in the final as well  smile_o.gif

Don't forget this was recorded with a video camera and not direct ingame, therefore some color attributes and contrast will be off.

That hind looked amazing. Some of the actions looked kind of quick though for a helicopter of its size as well as the animation of its landing gear.

MH-60S is also included.

Im still hoping for a CH-53 and CH-46. I doubt the 46 will be in though since it has apparently been replaced or is in the process of being replaced by the MH-60S. CH-53 would still be good though. Also hoping for an A-10 but probably won't get it.

Very nice Video! Thanx for that!

The animations shown at the end excited me.

And damn, the new tracers looked very good.

Also the smoke indicated by rockets and HE-Bullets hitting ground.

The collection of stuff is good.. but we all have some special wishes... like a civil chopper in my case.

Imagine a civil 212 oder 206 (Jack T. Ryan´s blue Huey)?

Cannot wait for Arma2!

There are still some inconsistencies with the vehicles, if the hind has animated cargo doors so should the blackhawk (shouldnt it be a seahawk? ) and other helicopters.

Battlefield clearance is nicely animated, hope we will be able to use this feature on other players in MP and that the a.i. will make use of it too (might be hard though).

Thanks for the footage, you guys did a great job notworthy.gif .

There are still some inconsistencies with the vehicles, if the hind has animated cargo doors so should the blackhawk (shouldnt it be a seahawk? ) and other helicopters.

I agree. Animated cargo doors should be a standard for all aircraft and vehicles.

Also, I know I said this in a different topic a long time ago, but I would like to see a light inside the cargo. It's a nice little detail and may help during the night.

Wow...

Did you notice the new MFD inside the Osprey and KA 52 ? Don't know if they are bogus or not but you had 2 different radars... and other ones I couldn't really identify...

Dragging and pickup animation was awsome (thinking for MP campaign...)

And we have MH60 and Harriers too ! Maybe the A10 will be converted aswell as it was very high quality already in Arma 1.

Sweet! Can't wait for this to get released. yay.gif

About publishers: I really hope Morphicon and 505 Game will release the game at around the same time instead of the messy idiotic way it happend last time.

Wow...

Did you notice the new MFD inside the Osprey and KA 52 ? Don't know if they are bogus or not but you had 2 different radars... and other ones I couldn't really identify...

Dont start jumping to conclusions now, this is sort of a delicate matter for a lot of us here.

the Ka-52 one at least seems like just a picture (there are already contacts on it)

hope for the best but dont put your expectations too high at least in this matter.

I agree. Animated cargo doors should be a standard for all aircraft and vehicles.

Also, I know I said this in a different topic a long time ago, but I would like to see a light inside the cargo. It's a nice little detail and may help during the night.

Yea it would be really stupid if one or two vehicles has animated doors, and no others. Should be all or none...

And I totally agree with the lighting inside vehicles. I think the overall lighting of the OFP/ArmA series has been probly its second biggest weak point, next to physics... and lighting inside vehicles would go a long way to fixing that.

Good lighting in a game really helps set the atmosphere... and that has been missing from these games. Also, lights inside houses would be very welcome as well... especially with a civilian population. Would look kinda stupid with civs standing aimlessly in their dark houses every night...

theyre still using the "dot" reticle which is used in EVERY aircraft in arma. youd think they would atleast integrate it on the actual helicopter HUD display, but no. the targeting systems for aircraft and vehicles will still be totally unrealistic. heres to hoping the infantry simulation is good enough to ignore the glaring flaws in a so called realistic game.

Also, lights inside houses would be very welcome as well... especially with a civilian population. Would look kinda stupid with civs standing aimlessly in their dark houses every night...

Yeah I agree, I was hoping atleast some buildings and houses in ArmA would have some lights in them that would show through the windows at night to make the place look alive. Sahrani at night with some of it's bigger towns/cities looks totally dead!

on the model and texture side the aircraft is good enought, but on the control side they still seems to have the "anti-gravity" feel, guess the RKSL prove of concept A10 doesnt impress the team too much

Also, lights inside houses would be very welcome as well... especially with a civilian population. Would look kinda stupid with civs standing aimlessly in their dark houses every night...

Yeah I agree, I was hoping atleast some buildings and houses in ArmA would have some lights in them that would show through the windows at night to make the place look alive. Sahrani at night with some of it's bigger towns/cities looks totally dead!

Don't most people turn their lights off when they go to sleep huh.gif

Don't most people turn their lights off when they go to sleep  huh.gif

People don't always go to sleep the second its dark out... ever see a real life town at night? Its full of light, and should look somewhat lively. At least untill late night hours, and providing you don't live in the absolute middle of nowhere.

Now go look at any ArmA1 town, and tell me with a strait face they look anything like a real world town/city.

The rotor blades are also articulated which is one of those nice smaller details most probably wouldn't notice.

The enviromental map on the harrier was impressive as well, such a thing with a default texture would be too easily misplaced but what caught my eye more in that term was the sunglare on the cockpit and door windows of the Hind..curious, either very well done enviromental maps or perhaps mirrors may yet be possible.

The smoke from the rockets lingering was something I was very glad to see, adds some nice atmosphere as does smoke surrounding the rocket pods, very life like.

The radar is interesting, I won't cross my fingers or hold my breath too much but why waste putting it there if its not functional? It would be better to stay with a Horizon and a blank screen in that case.

The pickup animations at the end were great too, I was suprised to see the carrying of wounded soldiers like VBS..or was it VBS2..eh either way its definately nice, I wonder if I can through somebody down a hill or off a bridge biggrin_o.gif

VTOL well what can be said, its actual VTOL now and not "get a bit of speed up and switch to auto hover", which was great to see, the lighting of vehicles is even more impressive, on the graphic side they've gotten it down, we've seen some gamplay enhancements as well..hopefully we'll see some more.

As for the lights in houses, that would moreso have to be a texture unless they were revamped from Arma 1 because you could have the lights but they weren't quite "lights", in a way they seemed more light dim filters and they took away specular and normal maps leaving you with base textures which didn't look all that great.

People don't always go to sleep the second its dark out... ever see a real life town at night? Its full of light, and should look somewhat lively. At least untill late night hours, and providing you don't live in the absolute middle of nowhere.

Now go look at any ArmA1 town, and tell me with a strait face they look anything like a real world town/city.

The country in-game setting is suppose to be at war, so I wouldnt expect glittering lights at nights. Then again it would be cool to have a setting somewhere so that the nights are not so dead...

Thats really not the right question to be asking because A) Not everyone goes to sleep at the same time. B) Most people dont go to sleep as soon as the sun sets. C) A lot of people wake up in the middle of the night for whatever reason or wake up well before the sun rises to do whatever they have to do.

There needs to be randomness here which could really livin up the place, imagine if you were doing a night ops mission in a town and made some loud noise, people are going to wake up and turn lights on.

Re: lights in buildings/towns...

This can already be done with scripts in the mission, it doesn't need to be automatically running in the engine itself per-se which would only slow things down I think.

Town-by-town scripts in the mission file could accomplish this better without trying to illuminate the whole country and resulting in crazy lag in multiplayer.  If the scripts were re-useable then all the better.

The video was good, details on the aircraft, especially in-cockpit, looked amazingly lifelike.  The MFD displays in the Blackhawk looked a bit vacant though?

Ka52 - YAY!!! Balanced-ish air-to-air battles here we come!!!

Do we get AA missiles for the aircraft too?

The detail on that model looked absolutely STUNNING, animated rotor cyclic movement and everything!  That is a useful visual cue for flying that is a very welcome addition.

Might the MFDs on these aircraft show something useful and animated?  A small [non]moving map with a crosshair like the old OFP comanche and havok had?  A re-presentation of a minituarised GPS display that already exists in-game?

This might also be simple to add AND useful: some graphics in the MFDs showing thrust / pressure dials etc might help liven them up a bit, perhaps an AoA indicator or something just to get something animated and glowing.

A shame that there was still no real information regarding missile-warning or countermeasures, adding these into the core engine would make so much sense.

For WIP footage it looks amazing, runs amazingly smoothly, feels amazing, and totally blows the competition away at this stage, we all want it to be perfect: but we'll never agree on what perfect actually means to us, and we hope BI can get past the resulting headaches to work out the compromises that must be made to realise the dreams! Looks like it's happening from what I've seen thus far!

There needs to be randomness here which could really livin up the place, imagine if you were doing a night ops mission in a town and made some loud noise, people are going to wake up and turn lights on.

Okay just the idea of such a mission made me start filling my piggy bank to pay BIS to do so!

Okay just the idea of such a mission made me start filling my piggy bank to pay BIS to do so!

Kinda like Splinter Cell wink_o.gif