Sign in to follow this  
Raptor

GC 2008 Press Coverage

Maybe they did not have any other pictures and videos than the old ones so they used them?

Hi, after watching this Video, i'm a little bit concerned about two things...:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAK6q7YvtLw

- UAZ "explodes" by 5,56mm LMG fire....Welcome Hollywood

- Enemy AI guy which is standing just 5meters next to an exploding UAZ, does not react at all.... i mean in RL, if i were that Guy and if i would not know where that incoming fire is coming from, i would hide my ass as quickly as possible behind anything to take cover.

Other enemy AI seems also to just "standing there around", waiting for death and not react at all...

I really hope we see a more Real-life like AI this time, a AI that really "reacts" properly... I was already a bit concerned by the first AI-Video-Part from that GC Presentation (AI took cover there behind a very very small obstacle - lol).

Please no "duck shooting" again this time.... I hope AI will be really "challenging" this time, like Maruk predicted in some Videos from beginning of this year.... So far it hasn't looked any different.

EDIT: The rest does of course look very great, not that the post sounds to negative... hehe

Thanks for reading my concerns,

Best Regards, Christian

- UAZ "explodes" by 5,56mm LMG fire....Welcome Hollywood

The Mk48 is a 7.62mm LMG  wink_o.gif

And the same happens in ArmA to a UAZ with a machinegun. ArmA seems to use ammo to determine if a car class vehicle will explode. Weird, maybe they will change that.

Maybe the explosion is too big and probably shouldn't happen all the time, but it's not impossible for a car to explode. Watch:

Well i thought it was a scoped M249... nevermind then... but that doesn't actually matters in this case...

In the Video you posted, who knows what fuel they use and what else is modified in those extreme 8sec. racers.... At least its very very uncommon that cars exlpoding anyway.

But when you shoot at a normal car, it will only catch fire.... (and that only on non-tracer rounds when you hit the fueltank before so that fuel could leak out)...

You know, what my actual concerning is here, is that i fear we get another hitp-oint based destruction system, even though BI advertises with "Real world penetration & ballistics"....

But when you shoot at a normal car, it will only catch fire.... (and that only on non-tracer rounds when you hit the fueltank before so that fuel could leak out)...

Usually, yes. I think the real problems here are:

1. ArmA uses ammo to determine if a car will explode (put a UAZ and a UAZ with MG next to each other and destroy them. The unarmed one will just catch fire while the one with the MG will explode).

2. Same explosion type used for all vehicles. It looks great on a tank, but overboard on a car (well with my effects mod anyway, I guess it's the other way around without it).

(In ArmA 1)

I've seen footage of car fuel tanks explode, and I saw a real truck after it crashed. Usually it burns and then you get a series of smaller explosions.

Edit: I think the SLX mod for ArmA did a good job of making car destruction more realistic. They pretty much burned and exploded as they should.

Maybe the explosion is too big and probably shouldn't happen all the time, but it's not impossible for a car to explode. Watch:

Damn, that car's hit-points went to zero pretty damn fast!

Having little interest in today's latest shooters I've recently been playing some old WW2 Air Sims and strategy games and I have to admit -it's pretty damn fun to see locational damage even in simplified models.

My question is and I mean no sarcasm: Is it really that hard to implement these damage systems in this kind of game ?

Everybody should send a message to the developer and say, "we don't care how long it will take, please implement a real non-hitpoint dammage system". Or we could ask, "we don't care how long it will take, please implement shooting out of vehicles"...

Everybody should send a message to the developer and say, "we don't care how long it will take, please implement a real non-hitpoint dammage system". Or we could ask, "we don't care how long it will take, please implement shooting out of vehicles"...

I would actually be for such a petition....

If there is in the 3rd Series no realistic penetration, hit-effects & after-effects, well.... I won't even think about buying A2 then... Because i don't give anything on features like "conversation system" - that doesn't help me in Coop or PvP online-games.... wink_o.gif

BTW (offtopic):

Somehow i think whole gaming-industry has the wrong assumption when they think "more arcade = higher sell rates"...

Actually almost every male guy i know off which plays ego-shooters/simulations/whatever, was the more attracted to a game, the more i came with the magical arguments like "Its realistic" or "its very close to real-life"  biggrin_o.gif  tounge2.gif

Those were by the way also the arguments in a game-magazine, which brought me and many other friends to OFP back in 2001 whistle.gif

I won't even think about buying A2 then... Because i don't give anything on features like "conversation system" - that doesn't help me in Coop or PvP online-games.... wink_o.gif

...unless the mission centred around intelligence gathering or a hearts and minds type mission, then it would necessarily enhance a coop type game.

I think a more complex social simulation is a great addition to a wargame. I can't wait for it. But, I really would also like to see a more realistic damage and destruction model for vehicles...

I would actually be for such a petition....

If there is in the 3rd Series no realistic penetration, hit-effects & after-effects, well.... I won't even think about buying A2 then... Because i don't give anything on features like "conversation system" - that doesn't help me in Coop or PvP online-games.... wink_o.gif

Why would a conversation system be any less useful in coop than singleplayer? smile_o.gif

That just depends how it is implemented.

Best way to have such a 'petition' is to start a topic or maybe dig up an already existing one. It is a pretty important issue. Tanks that don't blow up from MG fire would be an improvement. If the topic gets a lot of posts and stays on the first page the developers are bound to see it.

I think the damage system deserves it's own topic smile_o.gif

I wish it wouldn't catch fire at all. I wish it would just stop working.

I would rather see it explode I guess though than crumble. I don't like the whole ArmA thing with the car suddenly turning black and then catching fire. I prefer the explosion to that but more realistic would be better.

Why would a conversation system be any less useful in coop than singleplayer?  smile_o.gif

That just depends how it is implemented.

You know, sure it can be nice if properly implemented by the mp-mission designer, but its still not the Feature i personally would looking for. Realistic Penetration+Penetration Effects/After-Effects would be on my list within the first 3 places for must-have Arma2 features.

Quote[/b] ]Best way to have such a 'petition' is to start a topic or maybe dig up an already existing one. It is a pretty important issue. Tanks that don't blow up from MG fire would be an improvement. If the topic gets a lot of posts and stays on the first page the developers are bound to see it.

I think the damage system deserves it's own topic smile_o.gif

I think i will make one today maybe.... wink_o.gif

New Press coverage in german magazine "PC-Action".....

Preview for the soon arriving article on their online-magazine:

http://www.pcaction.de/?article_id=667405

Edit: English Translation: http://translate.google.de/transla....e=UTF-8

First time mentioning of "Mega-SEF" (new 3D Audio system) and "HALO insertion" (something to do with para jumpers).

Also they confirmed that there will be finally steerable chutes for special units (it was about time BIS to introduce this  tounge2.gif ).

Hopefully someone can buy the mag and scan the stuff for posting here?

Cool stuff! Hope we can see some pics smile_o.gif Wish i lived in germany sometimes due to all info seems to come around the central eu area first and then later or not at all to the northern parts tounge2.gif But any info is good info i guess.

Cool stuff! Hope we can see some pics  smile_o.gif Wish i lived in germany sometimes  due to all info seems to come around the central eu area first and then later or not at all to the northern parts  tounge2.gif But any info is good info i guess.

Hehe, there must be a reason for that... OFP was sold second most (?) times in Germany (just behind US) and if you relate that to the population ... biggrin_o.gif

Anyway, I just read the online preview and it sounds really promising, since there are quite some new things mentioned, I didn't hear before.

You're now able to "climb" over low things (don't get it wrong, I don't think there'll be Splinter Cell like animations wink_o.gif ) for example.

And there'll be a Coop mode for the campaign inlove.gif

http://www.pcaction.de/?menu=b....=881037

Many screenshots, though I have no idea, which of them are new.

translate.google != an English translation worth linking to.

Yeahh you right.... but i thought its not "worth" to properly translate the preview-article without having read the entire "complete" one.

Picture That doesn't look like a fun situation to be in. On their website I don't see any screenshots that I haven't seen before. I thought the one above was new but I feel like i've seen it before.

Yeahh you right.... but i thought its not "worth" to properly translate the preview-article without having read the entire "complete" one.

i really liked this quote from the translation

Quote[/b] ]Naturally, we wanted to by the developers know what to Armed Assault has done everything - and understood at first only a banana

Quote[/b] ]Naturally, we wanted to by the developers know what to Armed Assault has done everything - and understood at first only a banana

rofl.gif

Nice translation!

That one is worth a signature biggrin_o.gif

If people feel like they need to read random word-salad, they can go to google on their own. That above mentioned sentence couldn't get more random and meaningless if you actually set out to make a random and meaningless sentence.

If you wish to persist in making google translations, you should call it that in your hyper link. To do otherwise is an affront to translators who actually put some work into it. I tried to make sense of a google translation a couple of pages earlier, and that is the last time I will be messing with that kind of nonsense.

EDIT: Translation of Article by ArmedAssault.info

I might be looking into this a bit much but I thought that last time when I was looking at the ArmA II website that the sections labeled classified ALL linked to a page called classified. Now when I look though they seem to link to different pages called classified-1, classified-2 etc. Perhaps more updates are on the way and they changed them to make replacing them easier when they update them. Then again maybe they were originally numbers and I didn't notice or perhaps as stated before, I am looking into it too far.