Sign in to follow this  
Raptor

GC 2008 Press Coverage

Accurately aiming a grenade is a bit complex in gameplayterms, so I doubt it will be done in Arma.

In America's Army grenades are extremely aimable and can be accurately bounced off surfaces to go around corners or obstacles.  In ArmA I'm lucky if I can get a grenade any distance away from me before it blows up much less aim it through a 3rd story window to bounce into an adjoining room which I can easily do in AA.

Well, I know people don't like this topic, but in CS I can throw a grenade precisely into a tiny hole at about 20 meters...perhaps even more. That has to do with experience, but I didn't have any feeling for ArmAs grenades at all. Hope that will change smile_o.gif

unlike American army, the nade in ARMA simply flies whereever they want to go, not where you want

Quote[/b] ]I wouldn't want a magic circle, lets just stay as close to realism as we can...

Well, neither would I. But a magic circle would be better than no feel for aiming which it currently has. Especially if experienced people can turn it off when they have got the hang of it.

Then again, is a magic circle so bad? It will (for a thrown handgrenade) indicate a 2m diameter hit on 5-10 meters, and increasing gradually to 5m at 15-20m, growing exponentially to 20m or so for a 50m throw. It's just a matter of programming a decent "crosshair" while in throwing mode.

Well, honest mistake about OFP2. However, I won't be cheering until I see what is delivered. December 2009 is quite a bit ahead (TTG shows TBA, but I'm sure I saw this date somewhere).

December 2009 is quite a bit ahead (TTG shows TBA, but I'm sure I saw this date somewhere).

Whilst it may slip (they say it definitely won't) they have said Spring 2009 for OFP2.

Quote[/b] ]I'll buy ArmA II regardless of what it lacks, not because it is the best tactical shooter, but because it is the only one...

And OFP2 is going to be an arcade shooter or what?  whistle.gif

Grim

Untill i've seen some real nice gameplay/ai/scale to me it looks like it will indeed be an arcade shooter with a military theme.

I don't trust games that show CGI renders early, haven't seen a single one that was worth it. That doesn't mean it won't be a good game, but it most likely won't be my game.

Anyway time will tell, but untill it does I give no trust to corporations that run off with the success (they get the name) a subcontractor creates.

was it ever announced that ArmA2 fixed the AI being able to see through bushes and shooting without seeing you kinda thing?

Quote[/b] ]I wouldn't want a magic circle, lets just stay as close to realism as we can...

Well, neither would I. But a magic circle would be better than no feel for aiming which it currently has. Especially if experienced people can turn it off when they have got the hang of it.

Then again, is a magic circle so bad? It will (for a thrown handgrenade) indicate a 2m diameter hit on 5-10 meters, and increasing gradually to 5m at 15-20m, growing exponentially to 20m or so for a 50m throw. It's just a matter of programming a decent "crosshair" while in throwing mode.

Well, honest mistake about OFP2. However, I won't be cheering until I see what is delivered. December 2009 is quite a bit ahead (TTG shows TBA, but I'm sure I saw this date somewhere).

Well, what I think, and suggested maybe a week ago, is that the soldier should raise his left hand outward for aiming. I believe that this is done in SLX, but since you can't hold the grenade you can only aim for a second.

Newly released Project Reality mod 0.8 actually has this aiming circle that you describe.

Top 10: Games that most floated our boats at GC 2008

9. ArmA 2 - PC

top10aug28arma2.jpg

Quote[/b] ]Tsk, you kids of today... You have no idea how lucky you are with your "sandbox" games. There was once a dark age when players were herded like cattle down rigid gaming paths - and Bohemia Interactive Studios were the Che Guevara types who set them free. ArmA 2 is the latest title from these guys, and it has the potential to set new standards for military sims: the graphics were amongst the finest we saw at GC08, and with 225 km2 of gameworld to explore - and support for up to 50 players online - it'll be a bitter disappointment if this is anything less than superb.

Is this "most floated our boats at GC 2008" that important? I dont give 1ct on such news/ratings. Better see it with your own eyes and of course play/use it.

Assuming the guys who threw this together are not raging BIS fanbois, I will take it on a positive note. I haven’t the slightest idea of how many games were represented at GC but I can guess it was more than 10. That being said, I get good vibes from seeing Arma2 get some recognition from an unbiased view. Of course, this isn’t the end of the line for certain media portals either. I guess that we’ll be seeing many more outsider reviews, good and worse, as more in-game content is released. At the end of the day, they are only opinions… but when they are good, I feel a bit better about what I’m going to get until the day comes that I do lay hands on the final product.  whistle.gif

There's a nice, tall grass on recent ofp2 pics. I wonder why the grass in Arma 2 pics is so short...I mean, it's not realistic unless it's a pasturage or any other kind of farming land. It's not just an eye-candy, it's important also from the tactical point of view, as it serves as a concealment, right?

Tall grass is ok as long as the AI have no special advantages/disadvantages to it.

Advance in prone so the enemy cant see you, then go up to sitting position and take them out smile_o.gif

There's a nice, tall grass on recent ofp2 pics. I wonder why the grass in Arma 2 pics is so short...I mean, it's not realistic unless it's a pasturage or any other kind of farming land. It's not just an eye-candy, it's important also from the tactical point of view, as it serves as a concealment, right?

The shortness of the grass is more or less our fault as the community. Remember when Arma1 first came out and there was a large outcry of grass height and that it didn't lie down?

It was tweaked to lie down but still too tall as many still complained, I can't remember if it was a patch or a mod that made it shorter but BIS seems to be answering that cry by making the grass shorter.

There is obviously still taller grass, weeds and other shrubbery present, and although it does act as concealment this only truly works in close quarters as the grass isn't rendered in as far a distance as we can see soldiers.

Despite it's length I still prefer Arma II's grass. Actually, I kind of prefer it short, because of it's better performace, ability to see when prone, and better smoothing in the distance where the grass disappears.

By the way, nice going BIS, getting 9th on the list. smile_o.gif

There's tall and short grass...

Well, I don't want to argue abut one's likings, but firstly, the grass in ArmA, and as showed in ArmA 2 isn't that tall (even the "tall" one). Secondly, there isn't much of it.

Let's compare it to this ofp2 pic. No matter if it's just a grass or cereal, imho it would be extremely cool both in SP and (especially) MP. It could actually help the AI, even if it didn't know how to "use" it properly.

I completely don't understand why ppl wanted the grass to be shortened (well I do, but that's just one point of view), and would really like to see much taller grass on the ArmA 2 map. Near forests, or only at the cereal fields maybe?

Oh that tall! Yeah, that would be pretty neat. It'd be awsome if fields with crops would grow depending on the time of the year etc etc.

I think it's a positive signal when there is nothing left but the length of the grass you guys can complain about... whistle.gif

Good point, but the grass lenght is actually pretty important, as 70% of the time playing the game you'll spend hiding in it...

So, it is important!...it really is! smile_o.gif

Oh yeah, talking about the grass... well, do it long when needed, short near cities, it doesn't matter to me ; now it just looks like natural and I love it.

No what I want to say is "isn't it possible to make crawled grass growing up slowly ?" (ok, ok, i don't have all words in english, but you understood me and it's the least I need) : when crawling, you see grass being crushed down, but when moving away, grass (first it follow your body movement, not nice with long grass confused_o.gif ) do get to its normal size way too quickly, as fast as you crushed it.

Normal grass get back normal in, say, at least in 4x the time used here. No way to "fix it up", hmm inlove.gif ?

Very nice, Cant wait for part two.

BTW to whoever made that video, stay away from Pinnacle movie maker tounge2.gif