Sign in to follow this  
kegetys

Lowplants v1.1

Not really taken notice of frame rate increase but, what I can say is it feels so much better running around up north!

I can now actually have battles up their where as before It was painful to just walk around any wooded area.

I am still using a 6600GT ( on an Athlon XP 2600+ 1GB corsair RAM ) BTW and I can now play around on North Sahrani with what appears to be nearly the same performance as what I had previously on Rahmadi.

I am going to re-install fraps and see what the actual performance increase is.

On a side-note,

I am due some back pay soon from the Army and I am investing in a new PC with it. I was a little worried that even with a pretty high spec PC ArmA would crap out on me. This little gem from Kegetys has made me feel much, much better about the purchase.

What can I say, class release mate notworthy.gif

Confirmed, removing "Sara_dbe1" from the RequiredAddons line in the config file in sara_grass.pbo, works fine with default ArmA with no QG installed.

I removed the "Sara_dbe1" but now i have no grass in the north of sara. Any help?

Frames are much higher now- Thanks Kegetys

I haven't measured fps but i play Evolution almost all day long, and with shaders on 'normal' i get the same lagfree gameplay now than i got with 'very low' shaders beforehand.

The next big thing to do would be to have trees and plants that totally disappear after collapsing so AI cannot shoot you through it.

*crosses fingers*  tounge2.gif

Very well done!

I can see that the grass is thinner and its easy to see the patterns now, but thats ok. I cant hardly see any difference on the rest of the trees and bushes. Its worth it as my FPS never go under 30 no matter where I am on sahrani. I gained ~10 FPS.

notworthy.gifnotworthy.gifnotworthy.gif

Kegetys (as always) on the top! Now it is fun to play with my >GF6600!

Pity that we can't even expect such good patches from the game makers; they sold arma 1 and now working on arma 2 or 3.

But ist is obvious that money is made with new games and not good patches.

whistle.gifwhistle.gif

Can someone please release a QG free edition?..

a good cause for the noobs..

confused_o.gif

Install the addon as usual, then overwrite the sara_grass.pbo located in C:\Program Files\Atari\ArmA\lowplants\addons with this one

<link removed>

smile_o.gif

You only removed the QG dependancy in the cfg (required addons) right?

8800GTS ... yep in those heavily wooded areas it was feeling "rigid" when moving fast and spinning around quick etc.

Now its sweet as a nut.

The loss in grass detail is pretty much not worth worrying about because once your in a firefight that really makes no difference. pistols.gif

I can actually have a larger draw distance now, so when I zoom in over some heavy foliage its not an FPS drop to annoy me.

Should be classed as "unofficial 1.09 performance tweak" to be honest. Or "the new high > highest setting" wink_o.gif

I just tried it and i like both the performance boost and the visuals (more natural), i dont consider Lowplants an addon, its a much needed fix BIS should have come up with a long time ago...

I get this error message when i launch Sahrani using either standard Arma or QG exe though:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgModels/default.sections'.

but it plays and runs fine.

I still use LOW shadder detail because it makes the grass flatter and i can see better in prone position.

Thank you very much Kegetys, this really gives a big performance boost and makes Arma much more enjoyable in North Sahrani smile_o.gif .

I've been having a closer look at this addon. Just got a couple things I want to point out:

'clutter_grass_general.p3d' in 'sara_grass.pbo' is not binirized. Wouldn't binirizing it help performance a little? I don't know how much of a difference it makes. Also, why is it in a seperate pbo instead of 'plants.pbo'? That way it would be used on custom islands too.

I notice some bushes (mainly in the north) still switch to higher poly models when shader detail gets turned to high. 'High' shader detail is still a bit too demanding for my PC at this resolution because of that - but only in the north. 'High' is just great in the south.

I noticed a certain bush that showed up with the ugly low-res textures when shader detail is anything less than 'high'.

Grass in the north with 'high' shader detail is much taller than on 'normal' - taller than without this mod maybe. Although it does look good.

I know not all of this is important, but just wanted to mention it.

Wish this was an ArmA graphics setting instead of a mod whistle.gif

I have Queens Gambit (I think - Armed Assault Gold?)and still get the error?

Install the addon as usual, then overwrite the sara_grass.pbo located in C:\Program Files\Atari\ArmA\lowplants\addons with this one

<link removed>

smile_o.gif

Dam link Dead goodnight.gif

why is it in a seperate pbo instead of 'plants.pbo'?

The plants.pbo is generated by the installer, while the other is included as is in the rar sfx. Its mostly that way mostly just because its easier to work with like that.

Removed links of an unauthorised changed version of this addon (until it becomes authorised).