Sign in to follow this  
Thunderbird

A little Poll to make sure of people's choices

Hi,

OFP's community is not what it was previously but it is still active and there are numerous people who keep playing the best PC Infantry simulator ever.

In this regards, with some slight real life changes, it has been chosen to stay in this great scene and attempt to release new projects.

Since there are various requests in the FFUR thread regarding several different 'themes' and due to the fact it is impossible to carry out all of them, your support would be greatly appreciated in choosing the theme you would like to see the most.

Please take your time before making your choice and make sure of it.

Thank you very much.

Regards,

TB

Well we already have the RU/US 08

I'm not too sure... A good old Soviet one would be nice. I was trying to work on a thing that simply replaced models and textures with modern addons using the exact same camos (RHS 85 VDV and LSR US Army 85 ect.). Didn't get far.

Personaly I like the current one (08) and wouldn't want it to be left behind... I'll vote for my second favorate afetr that.

Edit: OK, I went for 85. I also liked the idea of Sino/US would be nice though... I'm a very indecicive person tounge2.gif Luckily others can vote. Hurry up and vote people! biggrin_o.gif

I don't see many more new addons being released for OFP, and therefore the quality not improving much further beyond that of FFSX2007. Because of this I see no need to do another modern US VS Russia theme. Maybe a re-do of the original US vs USSR 1985 would be nice, but quite frankly I'm sick and tired of the US (in games! ) being the center of the action all the time.

I would be much more interested in a UN (something like P:UKF and DKM stuff forming the british main body with some French (OFrP), German (BW mod) or Dutch (LLW) additions) vs West/East African nation (BAS Tonal + additions).

Still out of the available ones I chose Russian/Euro Conflict ('08), maybe something involving eastern european countries joining NATO, Russia being pissed off about this and the construction of the missile shield in eastern europe. Still that wouldn't be enough for Russia to launch a full scale war (so not a very likely scenario)... confused_o.gif

I'm all about a revamped Soviet/US Conflict, the cold war setting was always the best fit for Flashpoint

Well, I would vote for Sino/Russia theme, but there isnt such choice in this poll. Personally I`m bored seeing US and M4 as main heroes in every game. Sino-Russian conflict could be great introduction to forthcoming OFP2 but based on good, ole OFP.

In this case I voted classical cold war kickass theme yerar 85. With all goodies and implementations from slx, such edition will be awesome.

I say make something different!! Africa is missing as possible new big conflict area in OFP. Don't like those US "superhero" campaigns/missions anymore.

Maybe something more challenging in Russian/Euro Conflict ('08)?!! thumbs-up.gif

Quote[/b] ]I say make something different!! Africa is missing as possible new big conflict area in OFP. Don't like those US "superhero" campaigns/missions anymore.

No, Africa isn't missing at all ! You should get Tonal Redux...

I'd like to see the "Russian"-"Europe"-conflict, but not '08. I'd like to see the conflict in '85.

Basically, almost everything is there for a "Germany 85"-scenario for OFP.

But since there wasn't this option, I voted US-Soviet '85.

I'd like to see the "Russian"-"Europe"-conflict, but not '08. I'd like to see the conflict in '85.

Basically, almost everything is there for a "Germany 85"-scenario for OFP.

But since there wasn't this option, I voted US-Soviet '85.

I like the sound of that. I'd vote for it smile_o.gif

Disapointing to see there is no Ninja versus Pirate conflict option in the poll...

wink_o.gif

Voted US-Sino conflict. We've basically seen everything else already on older packs. This is a new one and the most likely to actually happen. I'm quite tired of the Russia vs West in Europe thing.

My vote was for the Invasion of Iraq in 2003, but i'll be happy with any result.

I've a strange feeling for an FFUR thats not based around east vs west more like east vs far east - Russia vs China. A war of the future, The next big war this worlds will see will not involve the US initially.

Lets keep the 85' Soviet US theme, we need a big update on something like that.

Anyway it keeps with the base games' theme so much better.

(During the campaign It would be odd for US troops talking about Russians when actually there fighting the Chinese. Diddo for the Iraqis.)

My vote was for the Invasion of Iraq in 2003, but i'll be happy with any result.

I've a strange feeling for an FFUR thats not based around east vs west more like east vs far east - Russia vs China. A war of the future, The next big war this worlds will see will not involve the US initially.

I agree with this, id have voted for it if i could.

I would like to see Coalition Forces vs Al Qaeda/Taliban in Afghanistan but no option to choose that one.  That would be a great selection of countries to choose from, to include US forces.

GD Mast

Thunderbird,

I'm happy to hear that you're willing to keep pushing FFSX into new directions. That's great news for those of who are still hardcore devotees to OFP. However, I'm hoping that before more time is invested in a new direction for FFSX, that the current "US vs. Russia 2007-2008" campaign will be first finalized, meaning that all bugs are ironed out "once and for all."

This was a very hard poll for me to vote on. It's too bad that we couldn't vote for our favorites by assigning a numerical value to our preferences.

Personally, I feel that the US vs. China campaign would be quite interesting to see, as I feel that it's quite probable that one day such a conflict will occur. Perhaps it should be called "Wal-Mart War?" tounge2.gif

But I feel that a change in environment is due, as the European locale is starting to feel pretty old and worn out. Out of all the options available to us, the one that offers the biggest change in scenery is an Iraq-based conflict. If there was an option to vote for an Iran-based option, I would've voted for that in an heartbeat, because it unfortunately looks like this current administration is just salivating for a fight over there. Out of all the possibilities, this is the one that offers the most potential to erupting into another catastrophe.

The other advantages to having a conflict setup in Iran are:

(1) As mentioned above, believability and timeliness. This would certainly generate interest, and increase the level of immersion and tension.

(2) Again, a change of scenery (dust storms instead of rain), although if such a step were to be taken for either Iraq or Iran, there needs to be more enterable buildings with decent AI paths made that fit the Middle Eastern/Persian architectural theme. While such buildings are available now, they are few and far between (offering only 1-2 enterable rooms within a structure that holds a dozen or so permanently "closed" rooms, and mosques who's doors are always shut), or the buildings just aren't well suited to AI to begin with. Maybe a big "jump" in available buildings would be to reskin those available from Resistance (using Solus' important fixes, of course!wink_o.gif. Perhaps adjust the colors of their construction materials, and add some posters and graffiti from the region.

(3) Unlike Iraq, Iran has an actual military that is almost certainly more effective and better coordinated than anything that was encountered in the current Invasion of Iraq (2003-god know when). At least they have access to robust artillery pieces and tanks.

(4) Such a campaign would get more mileage out of the modernized equipment that the US is currently using, and thus requiring less work and time for development (and there's nothing wrong with that, in my opinion). I'd like to throw my two cents in regarding the kinds of loadouts that we'd find on the Special Operations Forces used during the campaign. I've read on various forums that the HK416 and SCAR are being "tested" under real life conditions, it'd be nice if we got access to such equipment, even if it's only limited to U.S. SOF.

(5) With Putin backing up Iran, it'd be somewhat plausible (although highly unlikely) that Russian forces could be mixed in with Iranian ones, again, getting more mileage out of the work that's already been done on behalf of the current incarnation of FFSX. I'm not too familiar with the kind of desert garb the Russians would wear, but again, it'd be an opportunity to add more variety to the next theater of conflict. Worth noting is that odds are very high that if such a war was going to occur, that neighboring states to Iran would also get involved, so it'd be a good opportunity to bring those models/resources in for the campaign.

(6) If option #5 is pursued, you could mix in some UKF with the US side of the conflict. There's a tenuous possibility that such military support could come from the Brits. Heck, you could even toss in some Polish GROM to boot.

All the above being said, I voted to the next best thing, Iraq 2003-?, with my second choice being Iraq 1991.

I hope that this writeup's persuasive.

Yours,

Kyle

smile_o.gif

Oct. 28, 2007

Well what ever it is, need an extra hand foot or whatever in the next pack, contact me, I'm deployed but still into working on OFP. Like it way better than ARMA still. Kinda really tweaked my new computer playes it at slideshow speed now dispite was supposed to run it fine.