Sign in to follow this  
telejunky

ArmA 2

I think its time for everyone to forget "game 2" already..

Everything we saw of game 2 was present in Arma (graphics)!

Everything else was just ideas, possibilities and lots of speculation.

Arma came out with what BIS had at the time (in working shape.. more or less).

Arma II will be a sequel and it should come out with whatever they manage to do with/for it by the time of its release. We dont know whats planned yet.

Thats not true tho ... we saw dynamic destroyable buildings in screenshots of Game2, and I haven't seen one of thoes in ArmA. So its clear it didn't come out with what BIS had at the time, and its very likely Game2's features stayed seperate. Your saying everyone should stop speculating, but your whole post is your opinion as to what BIS did, and what you think happened with ArmA. Only BIS employees knows what happened, and whats going to happen...

I do however agree with you that we don't know what they have planned... tho with a seprate team working on ArmA2 for years now, its going to be more then a slightly beefed up ArmA, or so it would logicly seem.

Just some opinions and observations here...

RE: OFP2

This article covers the codemuffers' 08/2007 press release about how they are starting up a new studio with a staff of 36 to start working on two games that use their proprietary "neon" engine (the same used in "Dirt"), one of them is OFP2. I also think the video is FMV because if they had that kind of quality in gameplay, they would most certainly show it off with screens and create more hype to increase projected sales. I expect "OFP2" to be similar to dirt, which is funny because operation flashpoint started out as a vehicle racing game. In any case i'm sure I will check it out and probably buy it.

RE: ArmA2

I was pretty surprised to hear about a expansion already coming out for arma (Queen's Gambit), and i'm a bit shocked to hear about a sequel! I'm positive I will buy both, but i'm a little concerned that the team is working on another engine to sell instead of releasing the tools for the original arma and fixing the problems with the current. Take your time bohemia. smile_o.gif

, but i'm a little concerned that the team is working on another engine to sell instead of releasing the tools for the original arma and fixing the problems with the current. Take your time bohemia. smile_o.gif

They released the tools last night.

Hmm, who else is with me that we need a totally different setting, it seems that BIS devs are obsessed with cold wars and communism, If you're going to have a US vs Russia why not have Russia invade the US?

So far I haven't seen a word about communism neither on armedassault.com nor on arma2.com, I have no idea why everyone here complains about ArmA2 is covering another US vs. Russia conflict.

All it says is:

Quote[/b] ]ArmA 2 is set in the near future, year 2009, in a <span style='color:red'>fictional post soviet country</span> called Chernarus. Players will be sent as members of a United States Marine Corps Force Recon squad to this country to prevent further civilian casualties and ensure ongoing stability there.

That can mean alot, including a counter-insurgent story or fighting some dictatorship. There's no word about fighting communism.

It's really funny how so many people here can tell everything out of the blue from 6 pictures and 109 words in 3 paragraphs.

Let's see what more informations we get in the next few months and especially let's see if we'll get ArmA 2 in 2008. Until then a lot of water rushing down the river.

So c'mon, let's discuss this seriously and don't come with complaints like the above or about vehicle damage texture, not knowing if those in the screens are not just placeholders. smile_o.gif

So is ArmA going to be updated while we wait three years for part two?

Quote[/b] ]So c'mon, let's discuss this seriously and don't come with complaints like the above or about vehicle damage texture

Discuss "what" seriously then? Why dont you you start it off so that it will be more suitable.

People are guessing from screenshots. If you want to see serious discussion BIS would actually have to do some PR for once and give some info to discuss.

Let's hope they revise the command list approach with something as intuitive as the mouse command system in Brothers in Arms.

Hmm, who else is with me that we need a totally different setting, it seems that BIS devs are obsessed with cold wars and communism, If you're going to have a US vs Russia why not have Russia invade the US?

So far I haven't seen a word about communism neither on armedassault.com nor on arma2.com, I have no idea why everyone here complains about ArmA2 is covering another US vs. Russia conflict.

All it says is:

Quote[/b] ]ArmA 2  is set in the near future, year 2009, in a <span style='color:red'>fictional post soviet country</span> called Chernarus. Players will be sent as members of a United States Marine Corps Force Recon squad to this country to prevent further civilian casualties and ensure ongoing stability there.

That can mean alot, including a counter-insurgent story or fighting some dictatorship. There's no word about fighting communism.

It's really funny how so many people here can tell everything out of the blue from 6 pictures and 109 words in 3 paragraphs.

Let's see what more informations we get in the next few months and especially let's see if we'll get ArmA 2 in 2008. Until then a lot of water rushing down the river.

So c'mon, let's discuss this seriously and don't come with complaints like the above or about vehicle damage texture, not knowing if those in the screens are not just placeholders.  smile_o.gif

Yes yes smile_o.gif it's funny how people already know what kind of game ArmA2 is even when the information provided by BIS is very minimal.

If you want to get real-life examples of a post-Soviet country, then how about Estonia? For sure they are not Russians even though they belonged to the USSR! Other examples easy to find... you must differentiate what is Russian and what is not... my country was a part of Russia (note: not part of Soviet Union even though they tried to realize it) for some time, but for sure the Finnish people are not Russian, have never been and will never be, no matter how you draw the borders to the map. The same applies to Estonians as well, among others.

So basically we know nothing what nation the USA is facing in ArmA2. Except that it is "fictional", except that "post-Soviet" is not fictional.

But I agree with people who think there could be some other setting than the USA versus <insert whatever here>! Why not the Swedes against the Danes for example? "Not interesting?" How can you tell? The USA is in every wargame and to be honest, it starts to get boring. I hoped BIS could be the game developer who changes that, but it still doesn't seem to happen. I would be happier for example to see the Czech military in a game than the US military... isn't it underestimating the US customers if you think that they won't buy a wargame which doesn't have the US military in it? If the game is really good and worth buying then I think it doesn't matter much what country you picture in it.

I would guess that most people who's got a problem with this Russia vs. USA conflict is rather concerned about the same old many-times-seen military gear.

I hope that arma2 (formerly known as game2?) will be so close to arma so you port over the same models and mods that are/will be made for arma without much problems.

I hope that arma2 will add elements that were "promised" for game2, such as rpg-elements and dynamic war.

They made the grafics, now I hope thay are focusing on gameplay. (I´m not saying that they shouldnt make better grafics, but hopefully the main focus is to expand their vision to other elements then eyecandy)

ArmA 2? That will be too bland to for the American release. Try "Arm2: Soviet Rebellion" tounge2.gif Hey, at least BIS is better at release dates then Eagle Dynamics is with Lock On:BS!

Quote[/b] ]So c'mon, let's discuss this seriously and don't come with complaints like the above or about vehicle damage texture

Discuss "what" seriously then? Why dont you you start it off so that it will be more suitable.

People are guessing from screenshots. If you want to see serious discussion BIS would actually have to do some PR for once and give some info to discuss.

yeah, discuss what?

I really don't understand, and would like to understand why BIS came up with these informations about ARMA2 at this stage?

ARMA2 will most probably be released in 2009 instead 2008 as they refered, so why the infos now (so soon)?! huh.gif

In my opinion these info (web and pics) were to hearly.

It doesn't make much sense.. they look bad for a "Next Generation Game".

They could have waited some months gathering better and substancial information about this "Next Generation Game".

I bet if only tools were released, people would be more happy and focus more on ARMA1, trying to improve it.

Now with these crappy info about THE "Next Generation Game", people kinda fell scared and "lost" because they don't know what to expect.. using ARMA1 at its final stage, still unfinished.

ps- I have waited for THE "next genereation game" from BIS for so long, and its really strange to see some info that doesn't look New.

Why not the Swedes against the Danes for example?

Now that's something I would like to see. Or why not Finland vs. Sweden? smile_o.gif

Seriously though, I'm really looking foorward to ArmA II, judging from the few screens and vague information that I have recieved. An "eastern" setting is perfect in my opinion. But I would also like to see some independent, generic troops to play on the resistance side (if there will still be a resistance side in ArmA II). A small looking UN contingent with general basic soldier models, a handful of vehicles and some transport helicopters at their disposal would do the trick for me.

yeah, discuss what?

If there's nothing to discuss, you shouldn't post at all. Everything is pure speculation and "guessing from screenshots" now. I'll be the first to moan about unchanged AI, I promise.

Everyone seems to have this bizzare preconception of what 'next generation' means. I've looked at the screens - the textures, lighting, particle effect etc all look pretty stunning, I sure as hell know that wouldn't run on MY computer looking like that. In fact the only thing I can see which is less that gorgeous is the dodgy burnt out vehicle skin and the fire effect.

Next generation doesn't mean 'as good as this game wot came out on teh Xbox', it means better than the last one...

And I'm still holding out that it'll be better than the last one, methinks BIS have released this stuff so early cos they want to remind everyone bitching about ArmA that ArmA 2 was always meant to be 'the big one'. And I'll pre-empt the 'yeah but ArmA said it was amazing and new and I feel scammed' by pointing out that personally, most PC games I buy end up getting shelved and start gathering dust shortly after I complete them on the hardest setting (which is usually the first and only setting I play). I've gotten many, many, many hours of enjoyment out of ArmA, so in my books I've already got my 30 quids worth. smile_o.gif

i would like see a modern day korean conflict, there you could have all kinds of surrounding countries and their allies, Us and russia and australia and taiwan and stuff. smile_o.gif

yeah, discuss what?

If there's nothing to discuss, you shouldn't post at all. Everything is pure speculation and "guessing from screenshots" now.

nope, we are looking for some answers.

I'll be the first to moan about unchanged AI, I promise.

ok, fine for me.

i would like see a modern day korean conflict, there you could have all kinds of surrounding countries and their allies, Us and russia and australia and taiwan and stuff. smile_o.gif

And China.

+1

When's Suma going to be interviewed again by our beloved Jerry Hopper? And when will it air?

I must know this.

Why not the Swedes against the Danes for example?

Now that's something I would like to see. Or why not Finland vs. Sweden? smile_o.gif

Do you guys understand that if the game doesn't have US forces included it would sell horribly across the world and only sell good in Europe.

All the successful military games have something in common, US forces.

and how about a world war between PC gamers and Jack Thompson´s crew?

I would be laughing if not for the vomit in my throat....

So what, they ran out of money again?

Hrmm..."Game 2" got put on the back burner so they could fix and improve ArmA and put it in a shiney new box?

Why fix what is already sold when you can repackage, call it new, and sell it to the sukers?

The ArmA part duex vs. OFP2 divide will be ammusing, and strangely BIS just drove the wedge in deeper with this... confused_o.gif

2008...ha! Thats funny on so many levels.

Why fix what is already sold when you can repackage, call it new, and sell it to the sukers?

In my book that equals to short term suicide in the business world.

I would be laughing if not for the vomit in my throat....

So what, they ran out of money again?

Hrmm..."Game 2" got put on the back burner so they could fix and improve ArmA and put it in a shiney new box?

The ArmA part duex vs. OFP2 divide will be ammusing, and strangely BIS just drove the wedge in deeper with this... confused_o.gif

2008...ha! Thats funny on so many levels.

Yup, because we know for sure that BI will not support ArmA anymore and go on full on ArmA II.

Like they were waiting for QG to release the tools.

Me too, I like to vomit :P

This is AAN news, as BI forums entered the second day of this conflict, and there is still no offical news of ArmA2...

sorry, I just want to know if it's possible to get a update for ArmA1 to ArmA2