Sign in to follow this  
telejunky

ArmA 2

Fecking hell!!! What is going on here!?!? We get ArmA bout a year ago. Just get the tools ( SWEET!!! ) And we are told bout ArmA 2. There is already OFP 2 coming as well. And how long are we going to have to wait for the tools for those games. And my question is: How is the community supposed to flourish like it did with OFP?

Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to these games, (But not how much money I have to spend on hardware upgrades.) but if we get these games so close to each other, how is the modding community going to develop and help the parent company continue its sales of its product? Imagine if you discovered OFP now for the first time? Then found ofp info. No more internet, D/L quota reached. Maybe I just miss the genre monopoly OFP had for so many years and the fact that most of the content we use whilst playing it is user made and not by the producing company. Whenever I hear of OFP, I look longingly into space and think of the flexibility of the game, ahhhh. Soooo many options. But hey, I'm part of the target audience of these games and they already have my money, I just hope they release them with some more realistic features like indirect fire and proper Fucking AI helicopter landings to where the user wants them!

But going off topic ( Maybe this should be polled? ) I think that OFP in a cornerstone game in the FPS genre. In my mind, its up there with the good 'ol DOOM for what it did to FPS and me.

Later yall.

First off, read a little more then the first post before YOU post. OFP2 IS NOT A BIS GAME AND HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THEM. Second, when BIS first announced ArmA, it was clearly stated that ArmA2 (Game2 back then) would be released fairly shortly afterwards. So no one can complain, we have known this for years.

Developers can't hold off releaseing games because some people might have to upgrade their hardwear, or the modding community wants mroe time to make mods. It just dosn't work that way. As long as ArmA2 is a big step above ArmA, everything should be fine. If ArmA2 is just like ArmA.... then there is plenty of reason to complain. We just have to wait and see.

I have edited my post, prior to your posting, to reflect that fact, although I have to say that any material released into the public domain, and is thusly cited as a sequel and in development, if then lacking said feature, should be regarded with a certain amount of disappointment. I honestly think a lot of anger and frustration could be avoided if developers did not give us the slightest indication as to whether or not certain groundbreaking features are included outside of knowing with 100% certainty that they will make the final cut. I realise that is almost impossible regarding ongoing development but the documentation we have on 'ArmA2', going back for some considerable time now, would perhaps indicate that its unveiling as a playable prototype was perhaps too premature if certain features that formed its demonstration disappear. Such occurances only result in disappointment for the fanbase and frustration for the developer.

My point was 'destructable buildings != destructable vehicles', dont get your hopes up, it will only cause disappointment afterwards. smile_o.gif

I'll repeat my remark that I posted in game2 area.

My main concern with Arma2 is the name is slightly scarred

Haha, will do. I do remember however that there were various chunks of a variety of vehicles (I remember an Su-27 specifically) in a number of different screenshots that would seem to indicate the presence of vehicles that could be broken down into their constituent components, although you are perfectly correct in saying this is more supposition than anything else. I do think, however, that much vaunted features such as the dynamic campaign should only be mentioned should they be included with 100% certainty - such a groundbreaking feature and a first for the genre would be heartbreaking if not included.

Well I personally really like the idea of a Russian style environment- watch the film "The Hunt or Red October" and play OFP1: The atmosphere created with that style of boreal biome is great. The story's not bad, either, and so little is said about it that there's no reason to doubt it 100%, yet. Also, with all this tension rising with Russia and the West at the moment a second Cold War seems at least 5% likely, and would make for another interesting storyline. And as said before, other armies will be modded in afterwards smile_o.gif

Haha, will do. I do remember however that there were various chunks of a variety of vehicles (I remember an Su-27 specifically) in a number of different screenshots that would seem to indicate the presence of vehicles that could be broken down into their constituent components

uhm, this is already possible.

DBO_brick has made : vehicles that fall apart, guns that can break, and buildings that fall apart.....

a bit more power in the engine would make bigger scale destructions possible....

It may be possible, but is it included as content in the game by default? I know the line between BIS created content and user provided content is forever narrowing, but the presence of possibility within the engine does not equate to having the feature available within the sequel.

EDIT - By default, I mean. I know it may make relatively little difference in a game as (potentially) modifiable as ArmA2, but it is always preferable to have such features as standard, no?

If still true, Arma II is the more optimized version, designed for even more populated enviroments as seen from early game 2 images. I was first skeptical on some things but after reveiwing, I'm quite certain the two are very similar.

In which cases visually can be seen that they took less liberties, no armines here, instead just about everything is accurate and looks well researched, Russians using modern Russian weaponry, more types of tree's, and more of those by itself, obviously seen by the image with the lightly armed Mi-24.

What will be seen I cannot say, however game2 has images of a UH-1Y, Marine 6ton truck, Osprey,M1A2 and who knows what else.

There was an interesting game2 image that caused suspicions when it was released, if it holds true to ArmaII then we may be in for a treat. http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/9310/opf009ll4.jpg

I have all game2 images if anyone wants verfication of these products in early WIP, even the AAV was seen but now it has a paintjob.

Aside from that, its hard to tell but it appears HDR is no longer a problem here, I can't tell you if thats true but the images seem to be mostly the same color of lighting, which is good because and others have stated.

Arma though good, just doesn't usually quite have that nitty and gritty look and feel, and to get it you have to adjust the gamma and brightness and get HDR to crack a belt on your arse.

It would be nice if we see the enhacements that game2 offerred amongst other 'nonvisual' correctivities, but I'm still interested, hope more info on this follows soon.

Dynamic will never be possibble because it would simply desync, remember every artifact must land and be in the exact same place on everyones pc or the server will simply blow up, tthus negating any possibility of the word dynamic, what is possible is for some larger scale uniform explosions that maybe slightly more complex than the already FX............. effect in vanilla posiedon engine.

to think of it laymans , if the piece of tank that was seen in mr x`s pc is not in the same place exactly on mr y`s pc and mr x is hiding behind that piece of tank , mr y wont know and simply screem "CHEAT" i shot one mag and it bounced off him or mr x will indeed be shot but will also shout "CHEAT" i was ehind a piece of tank and just dropped dead.

I think the animation of uniform type such as the bridges and radar towers will be the safest way to go or big ass particle effects using spaceobjects

Dynamic will never be possibble because it would simply desync, remember every artifact must land and be in the exact same place on everyones pc or the server will simply blow up, tthus negating any possibility of the word dynamic, what is possible is for some larger scale uniform explosions that maybe slightly more complex than the already FX............. effect in vanilla posiedon engine.

to think of it laymans , if the piece of tank that was seen in mr x`s pc is not in the same place exactly on mr y`s pc and mr x is hiding behind that piece of tank , mr y wont know and simply screem "CHEAT" i shot one mag and it bounced off him or mr x will indeed be shot but will also shout "CHEAT" i was ehind a piece of tank and just dropped dead.

I think the animation of uniform type such as the bridges and radar towers will be the safest way to go or big ass particle effects using spaceobjects

Your also talking about multiplayer... remember, OFP, ARMA, and ARMA2 are not multiplayer only games. Whos to say the single player game won't have a dynamic destruction system (as was reported two years ago) and the MP aspect of the game will be diffrent? Anythings possible right now... but obviouslly the developers thought it was more then possible before.

OKAY can someone please clear this for me right now.

ArmA 2 = GAME 2 huh.gif?

Its confused me, and if so i have a small post to make.....

From the first post:

Quote[/b] ]Yeah, Game 2 is now called ArmA 2! read the official News here.

wink_o.gif

They so better keep the RPG features, like talking to civllians and getting information.

If this is just a new campaign in the end ( i know im judging early )

Ill be so pissed

1 - Please don't make me buy a new computer again.

So you mean they stuck a gun to your head and made you buy a brand new computer? Or did you do it without anybody telling you or forcing you?

Nobody forces you to buy a new computer.

Well for me the graphics department is good (can be better), but good atm. I think they should focus more on units that use proper military tactics, use cover, tanks that do not wheel in place exposing back and sides to the enemy etc. plus those roleplaying elements.

EDIT: And with PCs it is inevidable that as the time passes games move on to using newer technologies available. The only way to slow down this developement is to get a console (Xbox or Playstation).

make first ArmA1 bugfree and bring it to the finish, and then speak about Arma2, i just cant understand why do progress on game2, and game1 isnt finished.

Sentry

make first ArmA1 bugfree and bring it to the finish, and then speak about Arma2, i just cant understand why do progress on game2, and game1 isnt finished.

Because half of the team have nothing to work on with ArmA1? All the models, sounds etc are already done so those people might as well start working on ArmA2. (Which is probably the reason we currently only see some new models, the programmers etc are still mostly busy fixing ArmA)

I think they've been very tactile with regards to their releasing of screenshots. The shot of the Spetznatz with the bandanas on and Bizons is very, very reminiscent of OFP and the shot of the Hinds on the skyline looks very similar to the two page spread advert of OFP that did the rounds in the UK press around the time of its release. I mean, the Hind is an iconic part of Flash and its absence from ArmA makes its return all the more significant.

Has anyone noticed, as well, as to how far the shadow for the chimney extends over the back of the APC in the first screenshot on the teaser site? I can't remember shadows extending that far in ArmA. I think it's also been done to illustrate the excellent effect of shadows on smoke that's present in the original ArmA - one of my favourite (and most impressive) effects.

I do wonder about the screenshots illustrating combat in more built up areas, though. Their presence is no assurance of improved pathfinding and improved MOUT modelling - which surely should be a priority for the sequel.

You would be correct, Arma's shadows never reacehd that far and after 1.06 they reached even less. I'm curious about as well, would be nice if that was and stayed true.

And yes, the people working on Arma and "Game2" were two two seperate groups, they probably shared some units however to speed things up.

And yeah, for some reason seeing the Mi-24 gets me alittle hyped, although Arma II is similar to Arma, due to its lighting and units it seems like a different world, back to the good ole US vs Russia with realistic equipment.

And yes I agree about the path finding, more detailed enviroments, both urban and not don't help a good bunch if the AI doesn't have improved path finding skills. All in all its still too early to judge much, afterall we don't any solid information on "ArmaII" as opposed to "Game2", but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Quote[/b] ]I do wonder about the screenshots illustrating combat in more built up areas, though. Their presence is no assurance of improved pathfinding and improved MOUT modelling - which surely should be a priority for the sequel.

Indeed. The only way for BIS to make a true sequel is to make totally new AI, which will lead to totally new gameplay (and perhaps scripting (fortunate?)). The graphics are fine as they are, although it could do more variety in the game world and long distance grass/shadows (almost impossible).

I was just thinking: BIS have a solid engine there and most bugs being AI orientated, if the AI system is totally revamped then maybe that'll only take a year? Who knows.

So I say, new AI or some won't buy (rhyme).

If ArmA2 = Game2, everything is entirely new.

There's another rhyme for you.

3 Great news in one day biggrin_o.gif

1º Arma2 (The new theme gives me more hope in a epic feeling gameplay, something that AA never did.)

2º Arma tools (finally! To work guys we have to clean ArmA´s name before ArmA 2 release.)

3º Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising video "appetizer" (yes why not)

2008 will be a great year for us no doubt.

Still there are some things that are bugging me.

If ArmA 2 is Game 2, will the features from game2 remain? if so, and I realy hope so, I think ArmA 2 was a realy bad choice for the new game title, many people that I know associates ArmA name with bugs, bad optimization and terrible SP, most of them keep saying that "OFP" was the "real thing" (Codemaster´s jewel now), so a hole new title was the best choice IMHO.

Hmm.. tried to read all of this thread.. got to page 5, got bored, same stuff.

basically my view:

-2008? My arse, it will be out 2009 at the earliest, if it IS out in 2008 expect it to be an ArmA 'addon' probably reverting to old bugs which are being/have been eradicated in ArmA/OFP now.

-The game better be MUCH more different, but im not hopefull. Just because its a 'New game' doesnt mean they've rewritten the engine. Im 99% sure it will just be the same engine upgraded, as OFP->Res->ArmA has been.

-If the performance issues are not fixed it will be worse than ArmA. I still personally believe that it is not optimised in ArmA and to 'keep up the pace' with modern games they through in a lot of effects such as HDR/PP/3D grass which simply eat up performance because they are just thrown into the game.

-For those arguing about the graphics looking the same as ArmA... STOP. One, it looks to me its already had a fair bit of tweaking, lighting and shadows especially, some dust/particle effects too. Plus, the graphics will probably be added much later on in the game's creation cycle... If the graphics were made 'uber' now, by the time its released it will look old.

-Im not going to say im a 'beta tester' at the moment... OFP/res -> ArmA wasnt a huge jump, but i'd say yes it is *pretty much* a new game. But seriously, i'd really like to see something different now, i dont want something like a lean animation, i want some proper new features, maybe some RPG elements, take a soldier through a campaign, starting from training through the battles of the new campaign, improving skills or something like shooting from vehicles etc etc. just a random suggestion off the top of my head, i just feel that ArmA 2 needs something quite dramatic instead of ArmA with some extra shine + a few new animations.

-We need more fluidity, no more chunky animations with random hand wavings when we change weapons prone, give the player more control, dont make slight gradients stop you sprinting, while you're able to scale sheer cliffs effortlessly in a squatted walking position.

And for those who think im anti-BIS and anti-ArmA2, nope. I'm all for it so long as they learn from their mistakes + fix the issues discovered in their previous games. And i want something fresher, instead of ArmA with a spit and polish and a few new models wink_o.gif

...I'll be back to this thread no doubt wink_o.gif

I'm wondering if that's a working train-track on the screenshots?

i know im tired... but i cant see the train track in the screenshots? :S am i blind?