Sign in to follow this  
mattxr

1.08 Troubleshooting thread.

Quote[/b] ]I read somewhere that BI had released the patch and gone on vacation. I'm starting to believe this..... How come there is no official statements regarding the vast amount of problem people are having with their program. If they are on vacation I hope the weather is pissing down on them.

They are definitely not on vacation, and even if the entire Staff would be: Who says they are not allowed to have some days off just because the game doesn't run on your shiny Vista?

There are dozens of topics here covering the problems ArmA has with Vista and the GF8800 series. Just a suggestion: Try it with the OS it was developed for? wink_o.gif

And you think that makes much difference? I am so peed off with this.

I have removed daemon tools, deleted crap from registry and reinstalled Arma 104 (worked), 105 (worked), 108 (Wont %@%$ Load).

The patch installs fine so it seems but starting Arma just shows a spinning DVD.

It may be problems with SecureROM but it is BIS responsibility to make sure that everything workd before it goes out.

We test software that uses Oracle so going by what some folks are saying as long as my software works who cares about the other 3rd party components? so it is ok to release in a non working state. Best business idea in years.

Yes I use XP Pro.

i have 2 main problems

1. Increased lag with scopes and foileage but everyone seems to be getting that

2. Silly sky colours in early evening, at certain times the sky looks BRIGHT blue like its glowing, nothing snaps me out of the game more than turning round and seeing a flourescent blue/purple sky.

I had this in all three beta releases but figured it would be fixed for 1.08...is this a driver problem? (7600gt).

On another note anybody whining about performance under vista should re-read the system requirements. Im sick of hearing people moan on about vista compatability, not just for this game, in general. If you understand operating systems you know to stay away from new versions for 9-12 months, its ALWAYS the same story.

Saying "well application x runs fine so why doesnt application y" is just ignorant.

Sure, some problems.

There was an extended beta. The problems don't appear to be OS-specific (as they occur under XP as well).

Don't be dense. This isn't an OS thing, it's a QA thing.

sorry if this has been said (searching would be great if posts were listed instead of topics)...

Has anyone else noticed the M136 launcher often disappearing from their gear while out in the field? Perhaps after getting in and out of a vehicle? The ammo remains, just the launcher is gone.

This happened to me a few times before I realized it wasnt just me being in such a big hurry that I left it behind.

I found maybe a workaround for now for the CTD. Basically if you have RivaTuner you can watch your vram inside game using the OSD. When mine gets around 500mb I set texture to very low then it goes down to 140mb. Then I can set it back to high again or default, but it will gradually raise every few seconds again. You have to repeat this every few min's or you will Crash. Seems it lowers if you even just change it from veryhigh to high it will dump some memory.. RivaTuner OSD works good ingame on xp. I dont think the RivaTuner OSD works in Vista though.

I used 1.05 when it's published and I had no problems. The game was stable and I can play with it nice and smoothly.

My hardware is:

P4 2.4, 1Gb RAM, Gef6600GT 128Mb

But when I intall the 1.08 patch the game was terrible:

1., The game became instable: sometimes crashed to the desktop

2., I fear to pressing the M button, because if I change to Map view the gamplay will be LAGGY: 15-20 sec frozen, 1-2 sec play, 15-20 sec frozen...etc

3., The models and textrures loaded very slowly! In 1.05 I had no problem with this. But in 1.08 sometimes I see only this.

4., The APC inner view also cause speed problems.

The only question I have to ask is why the patch size is so large? I don't understand how such small changes in game resources cause enormous growth of file sizes.

Maybe BIS should use delta-sums in patching algorithm or I generally don't know what world is...

i havent read all 22 pages. but il post my issue

only tryed 3 classes to play with in mission editor since the patch, and both the Spec ops, and the rifleman, misses its main weapon.

the spec op, only got a pistol, while the rifleman, had hes hands straight down, with a invisivle gun firering..

Try and remove all your mods.

The only question I have to ask is why the patch size is so large? I don't understand how such small changes in game resources cause enormous growth of file sizes.

Maybe BIS should use delta-sums in patching algorithm or I generally don't know what world is...

They use Delta Patching, xdelta3 to be exact.

The patches are so big because they added and made changes to models and textures aswell.

Besides, we don't live in 1995; Stop whining about mezely 500mb downloads, before I blinked my eyes it's downloaded, and even on the current "standard" broadband connections of 256kbit etc. is still more than fast enough to get it within a reasonable time.

We don't play on 6GB harddrives anymore either now do we?

bardosy;

when I first time fired up 1.08, I got the same result that you've shown

in your vid and I did not change my gfx settings(from 1.05),

which were at 1920x1440x32 (medium/high settings ingame)

The blocky visuals did not recover(on their own), until after I reset gfx

to low res (800x600x32) everything else ingame on low and then

shutdown ArmA and restart.

After this gfx were normal and I set them up to former values,

that I had before. (But using the new 'Default' setting for textures,

whereas before I had set 'Normal' ) Try this.

With your gfx card, you will not get this 'Default' option though;..its

implemented for cards with 512MB and above vidRAM. Dont worry.

Also, with 1gig of RAM you're a little on the low side;..did

you increase your virtual RAM settings? (2-4GB)

Better yet is to add an additional gig of RAM.

i think the flush command do the same trick

I tried this and it did not effect the memory at all. Shift + minus...

i think the flush command do the same trick

I tried this and it did not effect the memory at all. Shift + minus...

I read something about the Cheat Button Shift + Minus. Not really sure on how to activate cheat-modus, but it might be a requirement before the button really works, I dunno?

Ah, some bg info: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:_Cheats

Left shift + numpad minus works as cheat-opener by default. You then type the "cheat" code. Use "FLUSH" to force the game to reload the VRAM with currently used textures and objects.

Very visible with RivaTuner, you Flush and see VRAM drop to zero and back up again, with HDD working hard

Since 1.07b I've been getting these annoying lock up's at loading screen, any1 else got em??? only reboot helps banghead.gifbanghead.gif

Run through ALL ur firewall programs and make sure that the updated ArmA.exe signature is allowed in them, with full internet access. Though this usually starts creating problems after clicking on the MP icon, it might help you.

Well I dont have any firewall ATM. And the lockup occurs at the black loading screen, everything just freezes... crazy_o.gifcrazy_o.gifcrazy_o.gif

bardosy;

After this gfx were normal and I set them up to former values,

that I had before. (But using the new 'Default' setting for textures,

Also, with 1gig of RAM you're a little on the low side;..did

you increase your virtual RAM settings? (2-4GB)

Better yet is to add an additional gig of RAM.

troop: thank you for your advice.

I'll try it!

I know, my HW is not the best, but I could play with ArmA 1.05 without any problem. The game was stable, and the graphic was fine... But now... sad_o.gif

bardosy;

(But using the new 'Default' setting for textures,

I got a Asus EN8600GTS 256MB and I can choose the default option. Probably it depends more on the series chipset then the amount of memory.

X1800XL 256M and "Default" is available.

Not sure it's hidden for cards not supporting it, readme says is not usefull for cards with lower than 512M, doesn't mean it's not available

I have ARMA: Combat Operations North American version.

Downloaded the 1.06 to 1.08 update from Gamershell.

I have no extra addons except Evolution 1.5, which is really only a mission.

during the patching process i got the following errors:

Error found in file AddOns\Anims.pbo (073214a6!=750f8e66)

Error found in file AddOns\misc.pbo (9472a65b!=f7155af0)

Update 1.06-1.08\ADDONS\ANIMS.PBO.UPD cannot be applied, error xdelta3 returned error code: 1

Update 1.06-1.08\ADDONS\ANIMS.PBO.UPD cannot be applied, error xdelta3 returned error code: 1

Update 1.06-1.08\ADDONS\MISC.PBO.UPD cannot be applied, error xdelta3 returned error code: 1

Now as you can guess, i've noticed some broken animations... including troops standing about in "crane stance"... yup... right out of Karate Kid.

*Sigh* ... why me...

About 'Default' Texture setting...

Ahh ok, thanks guys for pointing out. Got it wrong.

Uuuuuch it just gets worse and worse doesn't it? Not only do I have CTD's which I never had before with 1.05 or 1.07, I now get some seizure-inducing HDR bug...

When it crashes to desktop, I sometimes get an error message saying: "Createindexbuffer failed ([some 880808080 number])"

- Any ideas?

But that HDR bug is terrible.. If I was epileptic, I'd be a dead man right about now. The screen will erupt into crazed white flashings if I so much as look at the sun at a certain angle.

Two screen taken during one of these seizure-inducing eruptions:

hdrbug2dk9.jpg

hdrbugfh6.jpg

It doesn't happen if I have my setting right down, but it wouldn't, would it? sad_o.gif

But that HDR bug is terrible.. If I was epileptic, I'd be a dead man right about now.  The screen will erupt into crazed white flashings if I so much as look at the sun at a certain angle.

Ive been expirimenting to get HDR which is only affected by time, not by the stance of the sun.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">setAperture (50^(date select 3))

If you put then in a soldiers init, does it still happen? (Note that this isnt a real fix, just wondering if it still happens then)

Ok it was running great until i realised that all the dialogs freeze ArmA for a few seconds. If you press the map key (the worst dialog) ArmA will freeze completely for approximately 15 seconds.

What.the.hell?

In order for me to be able to apply the 1.08 patch i had to remove all of Arma from my computer, reinstall it fresh from the disc, downloaded 1.05 and 1.08 from gamershell and voila! It works. Havent been able to play much (time-issue) but hey, it started (without my savegames that is) !

Dont know if it will help anyone but there you are.