Sign in to follow this  
adumb

WIP: stuff you are working on!

Hi, they look good to me Oteryx, what i'll do will be or... play with

the gamma/brightness levels (CTRL+L) to remark the unions between

the stones on sand colour, or... add a layer on top of that texture

and redo by hand with a transparent layer those unions, painting

'em by hand and playing with this layer's transparency percentage.

I think that it may work, if don't... then you'll have to find another

texture for that area; trying to make the stones match on the corners

of the building and balcony. I'll also put one of those 3 "doors" looking

to the opposite direction to the other two, looks bad (to me) so

equal. Let's C ya

navysealdeltasoggreenberetst6-guy

just some 1 hour doodle im gonna try to get int arma just for leisure.

wow_o.gifwow_o.gif Wow that is cool!

That is going to be allot of fun I think!

How "big" are you going to make them in arma?

Because it would be perhaps an idea to make them a bit

smaller then the regular units? huh.gif

[*]thinks of group of large headed midget commandos with their little m4's help.gif ! crazy_o.gif

Anyone have a few tips on how to get it more realistically looking without adding normal maps?

Keep in mind I'm a complete newbie when it comes to modeling/texturing!

When I looked at the picture I wasnt sure for what sort of map this would be. But if it would have been something like Iraq, a few bullet holes arround the windows. huh.gif

Yeah, it would be cool to have them in ArmA Nephilim. thumbs-up.gif

I need some pro opinions here.

I downloaded a simple building from http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ and edited it some in Sketchup, then I plonked it in o2 to see if I could get it ingame.

Now I'd like some opinions on my textures, not the model. As I am anti normal map it's kinda hard to get the textures looking good enough to fit into an environment that contains default ArmA structures. I just figured out how to work the UV editor a few days ago so this is the second model I've skinned. Anyone have a few tips on how to get it more realistically looking without adding normal maps?

pic 1

pic 2

pic 3

Keep in mind I'm a complete newbie when it comes to modeling/texturing!

Also while I'm at it, does anyone know if I'm permitted to use free models from 3dwarehouse in ArmA? If so, are credits etc required?

Looks nice, giving credit is something everyone should do.. I do not know if its allowed to use in other programs.

You might want to change the garage door texture, make them look different with some grafitti on them for example.

Agreed with VXR. The building textures look relatively fine, but what stands out most are the three identical garage doors.

wipman Thanks for the suggestions, I will do some experimentation with gamma. It's hard to make everything seamless though due to the limited space I have in the UV space.

VXR Problem with the garage doors is that I have the faces stacked in the UV to save space so only one texture for all the doors. I tried inverting the one in the middle, but it still seems monotonous, think I will use another texture which doesn't have too distinct features such as the big rust spot, this ought to make it seem less repetitive.

quick question, i know how to use google sketchup, but i don't have any idea about how to port sketchup buildings to oxygen, is there any tutorial about hot to do it?

With the newest one you can import 3ds straight from Sketchup to O2, if not just search "sketchup" on these forums and you should find the answer.

A ways into writing this thing I noticed I have a lot to say about your building, Opteryx. So forgive the extensive critique. I hope you find some of what I say useful.

The scale of the brick texture on your building seems too large. Above and beyond that, I would scale the texture so that bricks aren't cut off abruptly as they approach corners.. It's not often that you see 1/10th bricks in architecture. Usually that stuff is covered up by some kind of trim. Also, there doesn't seem to be enough contrast between the bricks and the spaces between the bricks.. so unless you're right up to the wall it just looks like a flat tan surface. I woudl suggest experimenting with the texture, but also be careful not to oversaturate it!

You should avoid having things mirrored or duplicated along the same face if there is a lot of definition in the texture and / or a large area. Those frosted windows have are too large complicated to be duplicated so close together.

To me, the different kinds of bricks on the pillars between the garage doors seems not logical. I agree that the front of the building needs something else.. perhaps a different colour or kind of brick for the wall on the inside of the deck?

Your repeating gravel texture or whatever it is doesn't tile very well. The dark patches really stick out. I would recommend not using that texture in such a state.

wipman Thanks for the suggestions, I will do some experimentation with gamma. It's hard to make everything seamless though due to the limited space I have in the UV space.

VXR Problem with the garage doors is that I have the faces stacked in the UV to save space so only one texture for all the doors. I tried inverting the one in the middle, but it still seems monotonous, think I will use another texture which doesn't have too distinct features such as the big rust spot, this ought to make it seem less repetitive.

A simple solution would be placing a other garage texture over the existing one in the UV map. One without a big rust spot.

texture

Hmm 9 postes and no pic???

Hia fokes.. This is some.. THING im working on.. not sure what to call it.. so i named it "El Templato Gigante" ~ big ass template.

Its main reason for 'living' is ty try out multiple turrets and make it avalible to everybody.

The beast in o2.. pretty simple

El-Templato-Gigante-O2.jpg

The beast ingame, all weaponstations are working and the driver ever got a horn (cant risk any one not notising this beast without a warning right?)

El-Templato-Gigante-IG.jpg

Australia Island were working on. 1600Km's. Dropped the untextured Bridge into the Harbour tonight and built the concrete docks for it (addon made by Bern)

Few pics

1st pic

another angle

great work Maatz!! smile_o.gif

Keep it up! When they are done and have a good Iraq map to use them i will use them for sure.

Maybe Opteryx will use them too wink_o.gif

Still waiting for an good Urban Iraq map.

edit: maybe something like Fallujah.

Australia Island were working on. 1600Km's. Dropped the untextured Bridge into the Harbour tonight and built the concrete docks for it (addon made by Bern)

Few pics

1st pic

another angle

Sweet! It's hard to believe its another game! biggrin_o.gif

Another Guy:

SAS CRW!!

508 Tris

1*256*256 Texture

abuccy.jpg

bzlf3h.jpg

Turntable

crw_guynwr.gif

coming up next :

SNAJPERSKI SPETSNAZKI!!!

Nice work Nephilim, did you check how the animations look on these? Or do they need costum/adjusted animations?

Few pics

1st pic

another angle

dude, if you make destructing anims for those... wow............... inlove.gifinlove.gifinlove.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Another Guy:

SAS CRW!!

508 Tris

1*256*256 Texture

coming up next :

SNAJPERSKI SPETSNAZKI!!!

really funny, biggrin_o.gif

you could create a mini-mod, with this idea smile_o.gif

I don't think it would be possible because the characters don't have the same proportion as the skeletons in ArmA. Maybe Nephilim knows more.

custom anims

its all about the pivots biggrin_o.gif

oh, I didn't know it was possible to reconfigure the arma skeleton. That's pretty neat!