Sign in to follow this  
adumb

WIP: stuff you are working on!

It is a fastened throw grenade animation with some sort of action to it defined to the weapon you use ie; knife or shovel

Ah, generic swiping motion it is then.

Unless you own a motion capture studio or know a friend who has one.

Well, after being told that it is possible to have close combat

anims, forgive me for being somewhat disappointed to learn

that it is in fact a "fastened throw grenade animation".

Whatever... let's move along - I'll not likely find much use

for that sort of thing anyway.

Did not mean to be cheeky just saying that it is possible but expensive. I remember when ArmA was not that long out when a guy managed to get his hands on a motion capture studio. Various anims were done and it was supposed to be a replacement to the original anims as well as some extra ones. Nothing came of it though.

Well what do you think?

You move to the mocap studio,hop around and voila! got your anims ready for arma??.....

i think not...

Well what do you think?

You move to the mocap studio,hop around and voila! got your anims ready for arma??.....

i think not...

icon_rolleyes.gif

Obviously. I never even implied such a thing.

i think there should be a " WIP: stuff you are working on! - Questions&Comments"

thread..

Hello, this is my first post and I'm very excited about this addon I'm making. As the RACS don't have a major tank hunter helicopter I came up with the idea of building this MD-500 "Defender" helicopter wich is equiped with 4 TOW missile launchers.

The pictures are some renders I made. I still have to finish the front part and start downgrading the resolution to put it into ArmA.

Hope you like it

007.jpg

001.jpg

Hmm, did you use the BIS AH-6 and modified it or your own?

No, I actually created it from scratch. I bought a model kit and created every single piece in maya.

And the material it's a car paint material that maya has by default....

But what I cannot find is the RACS AH-6 material file.... I have unpboed the vehicle files but it's not there, the other AH-6 material is there, but not the RACS one... anybody knows where could it be at??

THX in advance and I really appreciate your comments

10-07-04_2.jpg

No, I actually created it from scratch. I bought a model kit and created every single piece in maya.

And the material it's a car paint material that maya has by default....

But what I cannot find is the RACS AH-6 material file.... I have unpboed the vehicle files but it's not there, the other AH-6 material is there, but not the RACS one... anybody knows where could it be at??

THX in advance and I really appreciate your comments

[im]http://www.oriolajuan.com/arma/10-07-04_2.jpg[/img]

It's a nice model. THe only thing I can think of really is that it looks like it has a lot of polies. you can probably reduce it a bit and still get good form. THe tail boom of BIS mh-6, for instance, Seems 6 or 8 sided. You don't really notice until you see the way the decal wraps from an extreme front or back angle up close.

Hi, plaintiff1

You're right, the resolution is high because at first I created it for rendering purposes but now I'm reducing it to put into ArmA.

The thing is that I don't really know how much should I delete. I took some screenshots from that part of the chopper that you mentioned ans it's 8 sided, then I saw that the number of sides changes depending on the part of the heli as you can see below...

sides.jpg

... so I took my missile launcher and reduced its poly count like this...

Lanzadera.jpg

Is this ok??? Should I leave more resolution or work on the texture for better details??

THX

I'd go with the lowest res you can stand to look at. If you're using the bis model as guide, then you may be able to get away with 8 sides on those exhaust tubes. Typically I think an odd number of sides looks rounder than an even number because no edges are parallel, and when there is an even number of something, the human brain starts to group things.

Also, you can do away with the pole in the centre of those hexagons. That will save you exactly 2 tris. kill any edges that aren't contributing to the form directly, and triangulate any ngons, and you should be good to go.

Hi, here are some shots about my MD-500 with new resolution

021.jpg

022.jpg

Actually there are a couple of holes in the missile launcher that I thought it could work with the texture, but I'm not sure if it will look better extruded inside.Also I extruded the exhaust tube at the back inside.... but my question is if it is really worth the extra polys.... here's an example

026.jpg

For me it looks great but I don't know if it's too much for the game engine. After making this pictures I finished the main rotor and tail rotor and the actual poly count was about 7'5 K..... is iy ok or too much??

Anyway thanks for the comments and advices plaintiff1 and by the way... I found the RACS AH-6 texture... its the mh6sp_1_co.paa in the air directory in the characters folder.

023.jpg[

I think that the lanucher could use more polys. To be more precise the holes (tubes?) could be more detailed like 10 sides each. Other than that it looks pretty good. smile_o.gif

Namreg,

That looks much better. You're well on your way to having an optimized game model.

There are a few places here and there I think you could change the flow and save a few polies and I think the launchers could use more geo at the muzzle and at the exhaust pipe. If you want me to do a bit of a paint over, I can do that for you.

Crionyk,

Being able to see the weapons would be a bonus.

M997 Ambulance another updated WIP of modified BIS humvee i'm working on.

15743778vk1.jpg

USSRsniper, this is the sort of stuff I would like to see; it reminds me of the ones made for OFP by moders, there was a magnificent pack with open bed transport Humvies, and ambulance ones, and so on. Kip it going mate.

Looking good, just need to add some dirt to the bottom of the attachment so it blends better with the humvee, you might also want to try to desaturate the green just a bit to see if it matches with the rest.

I think your rivets are too big. I don't know what the vehicle actually looks like, but the rivets on the 'camper' look much much bigger than the rivets on the humvee.

I think your rivets are too big.  I don't know what the vehicle actually looks like, but the rivets on the 'camper' look much much bigger than the rivets on the humvee.

Photo

Yes, looks like they are.

Quote[/b] ]I think your rivets are too big. I don't know what the vehicle actually looks like

That is just...wow.

Even if they are, you know your knitpicking when....

icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote[/b] ]I think your rivets are too big. I don't know what the vehicle actually looks like

That is just...wow.

Even if they are, you know your knitpicking when....

icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm a professional artist, CanadianTerror. If you think that that texture would cut the mustard at any professional studio, I'm sorry to say that you are quite wrong. I am not nitpicking. Problems with proportion are some of the most commonly seen in digital art. What I am telling him is the most basic critique of how to improve his texture. This is what I assume he has posted his pic here for because it is what the purpose of this thread has become. If you don't like to see honest and earnest critiques from people trying to raise the quality of arma mod art in general, perhaps you should not participate in this thread. That comment has no place here and helps noone. If USSRSniper needs me to pander to him in order to feel good about himself then he has larger problems than the bolts on his humvee.

Quote[/b] ]If you think that that texture would cut the mustard at any professional studio, I'm sorry to say that you are quite wrong.

Where did you read that exactly in my post?

Im saying that "some" of you take people's wips a bit too serious when it comes to "newer artist" types. Perhaps its more of how you say it than what you are saying. Yes, the rivets are larger, you busted that one wide open. tounge2.gif