Sign in to follow this  
shadow

ArmA Progress Updates

I'm wondering why the US Army has the latest of stuff in the video... and the enemy are in 1980s Soviet gear.. time warp?

well, there are x5 of Soviet solders and armor i guess.

Armed assault is in development for what? A year? They didn't start the development right at 2001, cmon ppl. And the only thing that makes it look odd right now is the too bright green ground texture which could be fixed even by modmakers in no time. AI and animations go hand in hand, what you saw there was OFP:Elite rookie material, and thats just an early mission tuckered together without much consideration (so don't expect any realism its just seeing whether or not the game will crash), but if thats nearly what the end product is then yea its time to get worried.

Guest Ti0n3r

Maybe the OPFOR army has been sanctioned by the west. Then they would have to use whatever kind of weapons they would get their hands on. And maybe Shara (spelling?) is a former Soviet republic. Then it would make sense if they had Spetsnaz troops and used older russian equipment.

I don't know really, might just be that what we've seen in the video is a bunch of VBS1 & Ofp Elite stuff used as placeholders.

But I hope they keep the soldier models the way they are. I LOVE THEM inlove.gif

to add one thing awhile ago people were going ooohh over the fact that crumpled paper destroyed effects on tanks/veihicles had gone, i thought the same then i was shown this.

Untitled-1.jpg

The exact same is possible in current ofp one single line of code in the viehicle config

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">destrType=DestructMan;

not exactly what i would consider an advance as it was already there sad_o.gif

Armed assault is in development for what? A year? They didn't start the development right at 2001, cmon ppl. And the only thing that makes it look odd right now is the too bright green ground texture which could be fixed even by modmakers in no time. AI and animations go hand in hand, what you saw there was OFP:Elite rookie material, and thats just an early mission tuckered together without much consideration (so don't expect any realism its just seeing whether or not the game will crash), but if thats nearly what the end product is then yea its time to get worried.

...i think BIS should set an engine on community auction but in a way that every each of us can hold some part of it and could build our own game, that way all should be happy...i guess release would be 2015.

The game doesn't seem to be in beta phase :P Late alpha. Just look at the enterior textures in the building, black, those parts aren't even done yet. Voicework is supplied by the publisher, Codemasters was the one to give the voiceactors (for OFP), so the radio chatter could change.

And just look at that bridge maybe buildings will be partly destroyable atleast. That bridge seriously interests me.

edit: buying parts of an engine is a 10000 $ thing so go ahead.

edit: buying parts of an engine is a 10000 $ thing so go ahead.

...nah

i was little sarcastic xmas_o.gif,

The best cure for ArmA fever is to try not ot expect much of it...imagine it will be crap (i couldn`t biggrin_o.gif) so when it comes your/ours disillusionment will be less if it`s not all by how you expeted, but if it`s more then you expected...it`ll be x2xmas_o.gif for all of us.

placeholders

notworthy.gif

It would be alot more helpfull if you can tell us which things are placeholders and wich arent... wink_o.gif

EDIT: I except ArmA to be a better looking OFP, ill just mod the unit changing out and im happy..  tounge2.gif

Well, actually i hope its a bit more, but im so confused by everything that i dont know what its going to be anymore crazy_o.gif

The new animations will be one of the last things added into the game so don't be surprised if you don't see them for sometime smile_o.gif

Page 25 of this thread.

Certainly, but don't you think using at least your vbs1 animations as a placeholder would have done a lot better job for the 'ambiance" of the video than using the old OFP anims as a placeholder ?

Very interesting video.The plastic wars are back in some scenes.I see no difference in the AI to OFP ,none. It seems BIS joined the club of other devs "Brand new super-realistic AI that is proven to act in the most military realistic way ever.HOOAH!" and you end up with a bunch of loonies running around like headless chicken. I had to laugh when that "Sniper" fired his "sniper rifle" (was that an m4 acog with super zoom?) like a machine gun or that machine gun fired his PK point-blank at the Little-Bird biggrin_o.gif . Nice way to A) run out of bullets and B) get killed.[Mind you,this isnt criticising Arma,just funny how that guy played the game]. Another great moment. "Character unlocked". Hmm.. "Unlocked" Is this a console game or what... I changed my mind,I think I will skip that campaign,seems awful. And I hope that with E3 they finally show their real version,the latest stuff,the true Arma.If it turns out to be like this I will suggest placebo as the next white house press secretary tounge2.gif

Very interesting video.The plastic wars are back in some scenes.I see no difference in the AI to OFP ,none. It seems BIS joined the club of other devs "Brand new super-realistic AI that is proven to act in the most military realistic way ever.

How the you know if the AI improved from a few 5 second flashes? huh.gif

Well,you can see very well that in those "5 secs flashes" they still react the same way under enemy fire,dont react to threats well(tank rushing by,soldier running past player) and run around just like they do in OFP. If you spot any improvements I am happy if you could point them out to me smile_o.gif

P.S: "We are back with so many soldiers!" Oh,wow.. two whole squads rofl.gif

*Holding my breath, I take my moderator hat off*

OK, here is my opinion. I've watched the video twice now, and will probably watch it again.

I honestly see nothing different in AA than OFP, save for everything now gleams in the sunlight, helicopters getting shot down look a little bit prettier and you now have the option to skip and jump your way around the battlefield. Also, view distance looks like it's improved a bit.

From what I can see, the armor modelling hasn't changed, tanks zig-zag as a substitute for seeking real cover, the AI hasn't appreciably changed, the equipment is obsolete (there are no Vulcans anymore, and haven't been since about 1992, not to mention M21 sniper rifles, XM-177E2 rifles and M72 LAWs), the battles are still mad rushes with little or no military thought involved, and the animations are unchanged.

I've seen many references to VBS in the promotions of Armed Assault - primarily from unofficial sources, though - yet I see no kind of influence at all. Sure, it looks like a lot of the models were pulled out of VBS and tweaked a bit, but overall I get the impression that AA is OFP with an unneeded facelift. I've seen absolutely nothing new involving gameplay in that entire 7 minute long video. The US Army pack for VBS looks far superior to anything I've seen in AA thus far (note: I don't have the US Army pack, so I can't say that for absolute certain).

The essence of what I'm saying - none of the core gameplay shortcomings of OFP appear to have been addressed. I see no multigunners, no evidence of all weapons available on all vehicle classes, no moving around in vehicles, no swimming, and no proper grass (eyecandy tufts don't really count).

And for that, I'm very dissappointed. It looks like someone watched Black Hawk Down a few too many times and decided to throw as much of that movie as possible into the game.

I understand that this video is from a beta/tech demo. Hopefully its a lot older than I think it is. I also understand that AA is kind of an interim bridge between OFP and not a revolutionary new product, but in this video I don't see evidence of any of the improvements we've read about in the recent interviews.

I dunno - I guess this is why BIS keeps so quiet. A bone gets offered and then chewed up by the pack who only want more. I hope there's more evidence of improvements in AA in the coming weeks. Of course all of us on the forum are going to buy this, if anything JIP is worth that price, but what is lacking in AA when it ships means we have to wait that much longer for the community to create it.

*End rant*

I second that, all of it. Unfortunately.

My biggest hit in that video is the AI. Actually despite the recent bragging about being able to make super intelligent AI and so on, these AI act nothing like real soldiers when under fire. See for example the scene of 3 AI standing around in safe mode, and this XM opening fire on them. That is NOT how soldiers react IRL. that's what you do in an execution. Get your fag from your pocket and wait to be shot.

Also notice all of the other reactions of AI to incoming fire. THey have no concept of geting low and being surpressed and surpressing back if possible. This doesn ot mean aiming perfectly before you open fire.... sheesh

Damage effects sems same. Sounds pretty much identical. Little cover in the field, hopefully blasts no longer go through walls invisibly. And is there any building destruction yet.

The only impressive things in that video to me: Destructable bridge effects, swaying trees and stuff, some ambient animals, switching of soldiers OPTIONS, and possibly ricochet on tank MG bullets.

Oh my, this is really not good news. smile_o.gif

Wonder if we can have a real loadout yet, or if there is loadout fatigue etc.

I concur with previous posters, seems like a graphics update mainly leaving the AI and other issues as they are. Fine, I can live with that as it's what I was expecting but I'd like to see at least some very basic tank damage realism, like tanks being easier to destroy from sides or rear than from the front section.

How the you know if the AI improved from a few 5 second flashes? huh.gif

Infantry running across open fields when bushes and trees are nearby is not really an example of smart Ai.

About the realistic parachuting, if you would have hit the ground at that kind of speed you would have at least broken both your legs. Jumping from such a low altitude is considered insane.

Still, when looking at the video you get a kind of strange feeling, The guy is firing an M4A1 with Acog, but the magazine count says XM177 E2... huh.gif

Must be Alpha... confused_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]but what is lacking in AA when it ships means we have to wait that much longer for the community to create it.

If the editing/license agreement is similar to what we have now, then only BIS can add things such as improved armor realism and better Ai behaviour.

I have known for over a year that ArmA is an upgrade to OFP, everyone expectign to see a brand new game needs to wait for Game 2 to come out and just because you have some helos flying over and outside what appears to be a town in Africa doesnt make the video a BHD rip-off. I like to focus on the positive aspects of what i saw and not the negative ones.

only me who liked it? :P they kept the good old ofp feeling, so im happy smile_o.gif

the only thing i dident like was the switch character thing.. a bit unrealistic..

and btw, anyone knows how old this trailer is ? since they dident use the new anims .?

here it comes the WAR PLASTIC!

I agree with:

*Holding my breath, I take my moderator hat off*

OK, here is my opinion. I've watched the video twice now, and will probably watch it again.

I honestly see nothing different in AA than OFP, save for everything now gleams in the sunlight, helicopters getting shot down look a little bit prettier and you now have the option to skip and jump your way around the battlefield. Also, view distance looks like it's improved a bit.

From what I can see, the armor modelling hasn't changed, tanks zig-zag as a substitute for seeking real cover, the AI hasn't appreciably changed, the equipment is obsolete (there are no Vulcans anymore, and haven't been since about 1992, not to mention M21 sniper rifles, XM-177E2 rifles and M72 LAWs), the battles are still mad rushes with little or no military thought involved, and the animations are unchanged.

I've seen many references to VBS in the promotions of Armed Assault - primarily from unofficial sources, though - yet I see no kind of influence at all. Sure, it looks like a lot of the models were pulled out of VBS and tweaked a bit, but overall I get the impression that AA is OFP with an unneeded facelift. I've seen absolutely nothing new involving gameplay in that entire 7 minute long video. The US Army pack for VBS looks far superior to anything I've seen in AA thus far (note: I don't have the US Army pack, so I can't say that for absolute certain).

The essence of what I'm saying - none of the core gameplay shortcomings of OFP appear to have been addressed. I see no multigunners, no evidence of all weapons available on all vehicle classes, no moving around in vehicles, no swimming, and no proper grass (eyecandy tufts don't really count).

And for that, I'm very dissappointed. It looks like someone watched Black Hawk Down a few too many times and decided to throw as much of that movie as possible into the game.

I understand that this video is from a beta/tech demo. Hopefully its a lot older than I think it is. I also understand that AA is kind of an interim bridge between OFP and not a revolutionary new product, but in this video I don't see evidence of any of the improvements we've read about in the recent interviews.

I dunno - I guess this is why BIS keeps so quiet. A bone gets offered and then chewed up by the pack who only want more. I hope there's more evidence of improvements in AA in the coming weeks. Of course all of us on the forum are going to buy this, if anything JIP is worth that price, but what is lacking in AA when it ships means we have to wait that much longer for the community to create it.

*End rant*

I second that, all of it. Unfortunately.

My biggest hit in that video is the AI. Actually despite the recent bragging about being able to make super intelligent AI and so on, these AI act nothing like real soldiers when under fire. See for example the scene of 3 AI standing around in safe mode, and this XM opening fire on them. That is NOT how soldiers react IRL. that's what you do in an execution. Get your fag from your pocket and wait to be shot.

Also notice all of the other reactions of AI to incoming fire. THey have no concept of geting low and being surpressed and surpressing back if possible. This doesn ot mean aiming perfectly before you open fire.... sheesh

Damage effects sems same. Sounds pretty much identical. Little cover in the field, hopefully blasts no longer go through walls invisibly. And is there any building destruction yet.

The only impressive things in that video to me: Destructable bridge effects, swaying trees and stuff, some ambient animals, switching of soldiers OPTIONS, and possibly ricochet on tank MG bullets.

Oh my, this is really not good news. smile_o.gif

Wonder if we can have a real loadout yet, or if there is loadout fatigue etc.

and more other users.

I also beleave this is an old video!

Must be! Im sure we will not have this game at our homes.

I think BIS want us to know the opinion of old ARMA the old version..

There will come something we didnt see yet... wink_o.gif

I dont want Plastic War Game!

Quote[/b] ]I don't see evidence of any of the improvements we've read about in the recent interviews.

With the amount of editing in that video, I think that is exactly what they wanted to achieve (or so I hope confused_o.gif )

I don't that character switching is such a bad thing in single player, it will overcome some AI issues and make battles a bit easier to control. Though I would have loved some kind of squad/platoon command system which you could order entire squads or platoons to move somewhere in real time.

Reading all the comments here, I must admit I feel highly unimpressed by the video.

I reckon it is not the most recent one and I guess that many of true ARMA features are yet to be shown. BIS likes to keep us guessing, anyway. But, what I see is far from being level with OFP + ECP/DMA Packs at the very least. This is why I really think this is just something to keep us guessing.

Keep faith, lads...

Malick