Sign in to follow this  
colt

What do you *HOPE* will be in ArmA?

Yeah, it'd be nice, but I could live without it. What I'd like to see...

...map editing tools and 3d programs in English!

PS. 1500th post! Yay!

One of the most distinguishable characteristics of OFP which made it stand out from every other commercially available game is that it's open to the players themselves and provides tools to alter, create and modify certain elements of the game in itself. That is the main reason which keeps people so interested for so long, I believe. Despite minor AI and engine flaws I still consider it to be THE BEST, all time first person/strategic experience for the PC.

I hope Armed Assault will stay true to the OFP feel minus all the AI and engine flaws which made it so annoying. But what I really hope is it's tools will provide more control over modifying the core elements of the game, this includes specific AI behavior for custom made units and envirnments right down to projectile trajectory and physics altering with minimum conflicts. I would appreciate the possibility to have the 3D envirnment map load in chunks at a time so as to enabling the creation of super huge maps( the kind you can really get lost in without a compass ) and missions while requiring low amounts of memory. I'd like to see the civilian AI side behave like civilians instead of disarmed soldier units, I.e. Flee from scenes of battle or take cover in buildings or even behave aggressively toward a predesignated side. This time when I give my team mates an order to attack a specific unit/building I want to see them attack it regardless wether they're armed with grenades, handguns or slingshots and not hear a negative while they're being blasted to kingdom come. (unless the AI is set to behave otherwise or is out of ammo).

Unless BIS dramatically changed the system you communicate in MP, I still hope that in Arma(UK/English version) there will be...

Up to 8 more subchannels of the side channel

In those subchannels you hear/read/can see the markers of people who are also currently in the same subchannel and also of those who are in the sidechannel(To allow for intercoms between the subchannels)

Example:

(Hopefully the chat color isnt hardcoded anymore).

<span style='color:blue'>Bravo CMD 1 (Player X): "1.Platoon move to 085760 and set up defenses there"

Bravo Red CMD 1 (Player Y): "Roger, Moving out"</span>

(Would be nice if we could get 3 Group-ID elements because we will have a lot more squads,won't we)

(Here comes the interesting part now,either in different colors or with a prefix)

<span style='color:blue'>Ch1: Bravo Red CMD 1 (Player Y): "Alpha you take lead,everyone else move in Platoon Column"

Ch1: Bravo Red Alpha 1(Player W): "Okayss"

Ch1: Bravo Red Bravo 1(Player Z): "Sounds Charming"</span>

Confusing example,the point is that what is typed,spoken in Channel 1 is only seen/heard by those Channel 1 guys,while what is spoken/typed in the first part of the example in side-channel is seen/heard by everyone.

That would apply for markers as well,and would be nice if it could be changed that you only see the markers that were put down in the channel you are currently in.

You can toggle ingame between sidechannel,channel 1,channel 2 and so forth.

Obviously you also still can toggle between global,side,group,vehicle,direct as well

Sounds a bit confusing at first,doesn't look good on screenshots but in my opinion will enhance Communications ingame a bloody lot.The only flaw is that if you want to have even more levels of command you would need subchannels of the subchannels but I don't want to go there biggrin_o.gif.

The second thing I still hope for is...

Height-Numbers on Contour-Lines

Take any topographical map as example.

Example

From my point of of view it should be easy to implement considering the programm already paints the height-lines.

I already stated in numerous posts why this will enhance map-reading a lot smile_o.gif

HOPE The ARMA ENGINE allows Smoke and Fire Shadows!

So far we can't prove there will be shadows when smoke and fire exists.

Hope BIS sort this tinny effect too.

Yeah, I truly hope the amount of smoke you get to see will not depend on your hardware. In the game "Joint Operations" the effect a smoke grenade had on your visibility was based on the way you configured your game. If you had a fast cpu and video card you were practically blind, but if you had a slow computer the effect was more like watching somebody smoke a cigar, or something like that. As a result player with good computers were effected by smoke and those with crappy computers were not.

That was just unfair and totally destroyed the tactical aspects of using smoke grenades (which made the game even more stupid and pointless than it already was) mad_o.gif

Flashpoint does mid to long range battles better than anyone else but I would like to see improvements in urban areas. Lets face it, most real-life combat involves urban combat and many missions have towns that must be conquered/defended. Will AI be able to keep tight formation such as follwing you thru a door? Will they know how to use stairs,ladders and windows effectively?

I wonder what the South Saharnian armor will be, beyond the M113. I hope they get M-60s or M-48s. smile_o.gif Maybe a handful of Leo 1s or T-55s or Type 68s or... Lot of possibilities. It'd be interesting to have a battle with tanks more on-par with the export model T-72. I'm assuming the Abrams' will be relatively scarce, since the US contingant is so small.

They may have no tanks at all, being such a small country they don't make a lot of sense. They'd probably chose a mix of static anti-tank defences, like mine fields, tank traps and artillery with mobile AT teams using man-portable weapons.

Instead of that dang Beretta M9, I want an M1911 pattern pistol, like an M1911 MEU (SOC)

Or at least a standard gov issue M1911A1, hell any .45 is better then a 9mm!

I know saying .45ACP is better then 9mm parabellum is like goodnight.gif on this forum, but it's true.

Instead of that dang Beretta M9, I want an M1911 pattern pistol, like an M1911 MEU (SOC)

Considering that the US Army has the M9 as the standard-issue pistol, this isn't likely to happen.

Quote[/b] ]Or at least a standard gov issue M1911A1, hell any .45 is better then a 9mm!

I know saying .45ACP is better then 9mm parabellum is like goodnight.gif on this forum, but it's true.

I'm not even going to touch this part, since it's irrelevant due to my initial point.

Considering that the US Army has the M9 as the standard-issue pistol, this isn't likely to happen.

Quote[/b] ]Or at least a standard gov issue M1911A1, hell any .45 is better then a 9mm!

I know saying .45ACP is better then 9mm parabellum is like  goodnight.gif  on this forum, but it's true.

I'm not even going to touch this part, since it's irrelevant due to my initial point.

They picked the M9 because they wanted a 9mm sidearm to fit in with NATO standards, not because 9mm is a better round.

Back in the 80's and 90's's (and today) the decision to retire the M1911A1 for the M9 was not universally held as the right choice.

Even after the 1911 was officially replaced in US military service by the M9 in 85, the Marine Corp, some units in the army, and most Special Forces groups , (Marine Recon, and Delta Force come to mind) chose to retain the 1911.

In fact, the new service pistol the US army is looking for has .45ACP as a requirement.

Now that we know it's not a totally crazy idea to have US forces using the M1911, lets move on to how this effects the game.

For one, I (and many other people) would just like to have an M1911 to use in the game.

And second, gameplay wise the 1911 would hold less rounds in one mag then other pistols, like the M9, but it would do more damage, this would be a nice change, so players should at least have the choice to use the M1911A1, or MEU (SOC) pistol.

That is my opinion anways, otherwise I'll have to download an addon for it.

I would llike to see me in Arma sometime before Xmas   sad_o.gif

and better waypoint control like AI not ignoring conditions. Helos not being so picky on where they land.

ooh and Faster troop unloads  xmas_o.gif

Improved AI is on top of my list but another pet peve I had with OFP since early days is the enemys "uber radar" and I really hope it's made much less "uber" in ArmA and not just rely on side/range/LOS (Line of Sight)...

If you don't know what I mean just get in a car/truck/tank/etc. when an armed enemy helicopter/plane are in vincinty and you are dead within seconds sad_o.gif

/KC

At home with Man-Flu so thought I'd contribute...somehow biggrin_o.gif

I would like to see anything that will improve gameplay. Anything that will effect the way you play and result in you making choices and playing the game tactically.

I would like the infantry and vehicles in ArmA to be effected by the environment. I realise that ArmA already has some environmental effects such as the wildlife and HDR lighting effects (the sunlight in your eyes issue) but other things would really help bring more TACTICS into the game.

For example: If the missions aim is to get across a river and take out a machine gun post on the other side. Do you take the bridge which (to coin a phrase from the film Ronin) would be like 'fish in a barrel'; or do you swim/wade across? If the later option is taken, I would like to see that when soldiers come out on the other side of the river they are restricted in how fast they can move, due to having wet clothes and boots full of water, this would mean that the pace of the battle is much slower. Tactically swimming across the river might increase initial survivabilty, but in the later stages of the battle there will be effects on the soldiers performance (limited movement, possibly effects of wet clamy clothes effecting accuracy). The weather could also play a part in this depending on the time of year the mission is set (which we can already set in OFP). Running should be effected by hot and cold weather; being wet or dry, and the type of terrain we are running through (so should driving). You wouldn't want to send your troops through boggy marsh land or mud flats on foot as their ability to traverse it would be effected by the environment

even seding them using 4x4's or heavy armoured vehicles would slow your progress.

All this would lead to you having to make choices about the path your mission and travel is going to take, limiting the area you have to fight in and adding extra challenges. *As a side note: If you are moving quickly through water there should be noise from the splashing you produce, meaning that you have to move quietly and slowly, producing a stealthier approach on the enemy, but limity movement and therefore effecting timing!

Another HOPE is that there will be better terrain to enable tank drivers (and crew) to get their tanks 'Hull-Down'. Would make it more effective rather than having 'rank-and-colum-muskets-at-the-ready' type shoot outs.

Since we know that ArmA will have realistic ballistic paths effected by the wind(?): I hope that if there is a sniper camped up on a hillside that his accuracy will be effected by the wind at the higher altitude. Another effect I would like to see is that when you are in a valley of near a cliff the sound of your gunshot or that of an enemy is bounced around the hills and or cliffs. This would really disorientate the player and make it difficult to direct anti-snipping fire. (I understand that there is a tweaked/new sounds system in ArmA, just hope this is possible)

I hope you can understand what I'm getting at!

*These are just the HOPES of a sick man...not a list of demands*

I've jabbered on...I'm sure I will come up with other waffle later on! Have a nice Day/Evening guys...*Cough* *Cough* *sniffle* *sniffle*... crazy_o.gif

Ciao for now thumbs-up.gif

S-400 Triumf, T-95 MBT, Black Eagle MBT, TOPOL-M, Leopard 2a6 , Crusader 155mm SPG, Leclerc mbt ,pzh2000, Iowa class battleships, Nimitz and future aircraft carriers, charles de gaulle class aircraft carriers, cvf, borei ssbn etc...

Dinosaurs. Yes, dinosaurs. Velociraptors, triceratops, diplodocus, t-rex... uhm the flying things and... Oh man, just think about it, wouldn't that be just awesome. And they would fit the story so nicely.

Or at least a standard gov issue M1911A1, hell any .45 is better then a 9mm!

<3

I always use an m1911 addon in my Operation: Flashpoint custom missions.

S-400 Triumf, T-95 MBT, Black Eagle MBT, TOPOL-M, Leopard 2a6 , Crusader 155mm SPG, Leclerc mbt ,pzh2000, Iowa class battleships, Nimitz and future aircraft carriers, charles de gaulle class aircraft carriers, cvf, borei ssbn  etc...

Why is there a French tank and aircraft carrier on that list? crazy_o.gif

The Cold War is over why are we still fighting the Russians in this game? The Russians are our friends now. My hope was that we would be fighting a realistic enemy and not another Russian faction.

The Cold War is over why are we still fighting the Russians in this game?  The Russians are our friends now.  My hope was that we would be fighting a realistic enemy and not another Russian faction.

We aren't fighting Russians.. We are fighting North Sahrani forces.

One more thing.. I wouldn't really call Russia a friend. They still prefer to go their own way.

One thing though:

With all that beautiful water we have been shown, it would be really nice if an official addon with naval warfare could be brought to light. I know, it´s a completely different story for models and AI but I´d really like to see naval warfare in combination with infantry simulation. Stormboat crews searching oil tankers, submarines, combat diver operations...

BIS have the guts for such, I hope someday they will try to walk on water smile_o.gif

The storyline does say communist North vs democratic South. The enemy doesn't look like Chinese or Cuban so Russian is what's left.

Warsaw pact, yes. Russian NO. Communist yes, Russian NO. It's either an old communist deity or turban-clad terrorists. Which would you prefer? I think I'll take the commies.

Iran or North Korea could have been a viable foe along with a smattering of conscripts. On the surface I get that "been there done that" feeling when looking at ArmA's bad guys.