Sign in to follow this  
zayfod

ECP 1.075...The countdown begins.

Then OFP isn't your type of game.

im stupid

Ofp isnt my type of game? IT IS MY GAME! i have been playing it since i was 8, mission editing since i was 10, im just saying that forest skirmishes and fields are starting to get boring in mission editor. I live for ofp.

i am so dumb

in fact, they engage and hit aircraft TOO much. They will engage DSL's A10, and other planes.

in fact, they engage and hit aircraft TOO much. They will engage DSL's A10, and other planes.

Yep, and they are too accurate, because they lead the moving aircraft perfectly.

Infantry units have been, at least in the past, instructed to fire 2 football fields ahead of jets and 1 football field ahead of helicopters. Trying to imagine the length of a football field in front of a moving plane is as easy as trying to guess the distance of the plane from your weapon. Except at ranges of at most 200 meters, I should think hitting moving aircraft would be mostly guesswork and luck.

or you could just aim in the area it going to fly by and make a wall of bullets for the jet wink_o.gif

Let me tell you a short story about luck and leading aircraft for ground fire. A friend of mine was a UH-l pilot during or should I say before Vietnam. He was an advisor. He was flying a squad of S. Vietnam soldiers into a LZ and once he landed them, he looked out the side window. He said a VC solder walked out of the treeline. Pointed his AK at him and then took it out of his shoulder and looked at the butt of the AK. Lifted it back up and point way out in front of his chopper and shot. The S. Vietnam solders shot him and gave his AK to my friend. He said he looked at the butt and there was a metal plate with a picture of a UH-l and a line drawn out in front of it showing how far to lead them when firing. I asked him once about ground fire and he stated its more like a golden bebe. At times he said he could walk on all the rounds coming up at him and land and not have a single bullet hole in the chopper. But other times land and have four or five from a single pass.

He was luckey. helicopter can take alot of bullets before they hit something vital.

I hate in movies how a copter is flying past and one shot for a Opfor and the copters smoking and going down. sad_o.gif

The only movie that proves that wrong Batdog is Red Dawn. It's the only scene in the movie I do not like (it's my fav movie), some spetznaz in Mi-24s' are hunting down the partisans and an RPG-7 is fired and hits one in the cargo area. The heli keeps flying and only the door gunners are killed. Now we all know the Mi-24 is a tough copter, but I think a RPG-7 would screw it up, especially a hit in the main body.

I think a RPG-7 would screw it up, especially a hit in the main body.

I don't think so. PG-7 (RPG-7 grenade) was hollow charge (cumulative), not HE or fragmentation. It can't severely damage helicopter body unless hit the engine, transmission or rotor.

But I never fire PRG-7 at Mi-24, so I may be wrong tounge_o.gif

Even an armour penetration round like that will have a limited blast area. This hit was square on too, not like the grazing hits that the blackhawks in Somalia took.

Nice story you had there Dirt smile_o.gif

I'd just like to clerify this - RPG7 peneterates between 275-300mm of standard armour. Once it hits its target, it explodes on the surface of its target (this explosion can harm people standing by) and "injects" a hot (3000 C) liner of copper inside the vehicle, which drags scraps of armour inside the target to create frags effect, that usually kill and pierce everything alive inside the vehicle, and causing substantial damage to systems... So, yes. In most cases, if an RPG hits a chopper it'll take it and its crew to a short trip to hell ;)

thx for teaching us some stuff about rpg's , choppers and vietnam smile_o.gif Are you guys still squashing bugs? biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]The only movie that proves that wrong Batdog is Red Dawn. It's the only scene in the movie I do not like (it's my fav movie), some spetznaz in Mi-24s' are hunting down the partisans and an RPG-7 is fired and hits one in the cargo area. The heli keeps flying and only the door gunners are killed. Now we all know the Mi-24 is a tough copter, but I think a RPG-7 would screw it up, especially a hit in the main body.

Using the Red Dawn example I think the only reason why it didn't take it down was because it either hit the door on the outside or it hit the wall on the outside. Thus only things in the back of the helicopter would be damaged because there were no vital mechanic components at that part. I do not know if that is true but to me it looks like it really wouldn't have done much to it in reality where it hit.

EDIT:

Quote[/b] ]Infantry units have been, at least in the past, instructed to fire 2 football fields ahead of jets and 1 football field ahead of helicopters. Trying to imagine the length of a football field in front of a moving plane is as easy as trying to guess the distance of the plane from your weapon. Except at ranges of at most 200 meters, I should think hitting moving aircraft would be mostly guesswork and luck.

It is actually half a football field for a helicopter and two for a jet aircraft. I assume its probably one for a prop plane. This is all according to the US Army Infantry/Airborne/Air Assault/Ranger manual from 1980 though. Might have changed since then.

Since I am getting high speed tomorrow I think I will download this when released. I have a lot on my "to get list".

It is actually half a football field for a helicopter and two for a jet aircraft. I assume its probably one for a prop plane. This is all according to the US Army Infantry/Airborne/Air Assault/Ranger manual from 1980 though. Might have changed since then.

Since I am getting high speed tomorrow I think I will download this when released. I have a lot on my "to get list".

There's no maybe about it. There used to be a battle drill where M60 gun crews would deploy their weapons vertically by having the gunner lie on his back while the AG stood errect with the tripod perched on his shoulders. The gunner would engage aerial targets while on his back using the windage described above. Those were different times...

Today's air dominance by US Air Force, Navy, and Marine aviation, plus the abilities of the US Army's Air Defense Artillery (ADA) Corps make such training and techniques very outdated.

Every good thread needs a tangent.

Back to ECP, could the mod-makers tell us what problems their encountering in the testing?

The only movie that proves that wrong Batdog is Red Dawn. It's the only scene in the movie I do not like (it's my fav movie), some spetznaz in Mi-24s' are hunting down the partisans and an RPG-7 is fired and hits one in the cargo area. The heli keeps flying and only the door gunners are killed. Now we all know the Mi-24 is a tough copter, but I think a RPG-7 would screw it up, especially a hit in the main body.

Havnt seen the movie sniper then mad_o.gif Its a crap movie but there one rebels on a clif and he fire one bullet or two at the copter and poof. Smoke is puffing out and the crews yelleing "Going, going down"

Offtopic Guys

will all the differnt things you have put into ECP 1.075 be optional rock.gif not that i dont mind lol

Offtopic Guys

will all the differnt things you have put into ECP 1.075 be optional rock.gif not that i dont mind lol

I believe they will be, as in previous ECP versions. smile_o.gif

increased group spacing means the spacing in a formation is increased , like, how close the men are next to each other. i think in ofp its 5m and in ecp they will change it to 10m, although i hope that will be optional.

I think you know the answer to that by now ... It's optional, everything is optional! wink_o.gif

Platoon here is another for you. His room mate flew the CH-46 and while on a shortie he was to fly from DaNang to a ship off the coast and pickup some equipment. He said you had to fly a box pattern around known hotspots. This flight pattern took forever. As he got within sight of the coast he stated that all of a sudden the chopper did a hard turn to port (left) and was flying sideways for a few seconds. The next thing the knew was the crewchief was yelling at him " We have a #&%$!& rocket sticking in the port (left) side of the ship". To make a long story short the ship would not let them land there, so they had to turnaround and make the long flight back to DaNang hoping the thing didn't explode. After landing and doing a quick bail and run job. EOD showed up and removed it and told them it was a dude. He said all it did was puncture the skin and aged him about 30 years.

I remember the movie sniper and that scene as well. I agree lame as well, movies should find a middle ground I think. Like have a copter come down after being hit by 20-30 rounds oe hit by heavy weapons.

Havnt seen the movie sniper then mad_o.gif Its a crap movie but there one rebels on a clif and he fire one bullet or two at the copter and poof. Smoke is puffing out and the crews yelleing "Going, going down"

Havnt seen the first episode of Full Metal Panic then mad_o.gif

FullMetalPanic-01_0003.jpg

tounge_o.gif

Anyhow, Is there a way to control the ammount of smoke / duration of the effects? It sure looks great, but how much FPS loss is there really? Because i cant really afford much, and i'd hate to chose between ECP or DxDll...

There really isn't a noticeable FPS loss, not compared to stock BIS explosions. And, there are Level of Detail settings for smoke and effects, so you can set them to your needs. smile_o.gif

LOL dirt another good one smile_o.gif

I have to correct you though, my nick is EFeKT... Platoon is the clan im playing in (www.platoon-clan.com) biggrin_o.gif

I got something for you as well Dirt -

As im an IDF tank commander (reserves) we were once stationed in one of the outposts in lebanon. One day the Hizbulla shot a salvo of 120mm rockets at our outpost. We usually have an early warning system tracking objects flying in ballistic courses in the perimeter, that can detect the launch point and the estimated target of the rockets/mortars, and it did work this time, so we had a warning about 15-20 secs before it droped on us. There were this tank commander (not me though :P) and his driver outside their tank - the commander was cleaning the bore of the cannon and the driver messing around with the catterpiller. Luckly for them, the left the tank comms on even though they were working outside of it, when suddently they heard the code word for the enemy firing, and quickly they jumped inside the tank. A sec later, 2 rockets hit the exact spot they were both standing on, each leaving a 1.5m deep crater in the ground smile_o.gifghostface.gif

Sorry about the name mixup EFeKT, why I didn't connect it to the clan I cant say, yea I can old age.  I have lots of those stories, I spent 12 years in the USMC.  I've seen alot and heard alot.

is there a way that i could add the ECP mod to the CW mod, ive tried to combine the two by putting the files together and condesing them to one set of dta and addon folders, but it really didnt work, ummmm CW mod uses custom animations and scripts that are run with the mod folder, is there a way i could mix the two together and have some bloody bloddy civil war battles with lots of dead yanks?rock.gif?

Josh