Sign in to follow this  
Puskasoturi

The best war movie ever

whats the diffirence between

Apocalypse Now (is a 18+)

and

Apocalypse Now redux (is a 15+)

the difference between the two ? 1 hour and a half (well, something like that) smile_o.gif

The funniest war movies

RAMBO1,2,3 Nothing cooler than a HIND disscuised as a PUMA, or was it the other way around rock.gif

GI Jane You gotta love a MP5SD which sound like a tank gun.

Commando(whit the schwachenegger) every gundealer has a four round missile luncher.

Navy SEALs now what can I say

TOP GUN(whit Charli Scheen) 1,2 dident know all the features the US army had.

Good ones

Rules of Engagement

Black Hawk Down

Das Boot

some of the ones already mentioned

STGN

1: Black Hawk Down

2: Saving Private Ryan

3: Thin red line

4: Platoon

5: Apocalypse now

Why did i forget i love full metal jack, and blackhawk down

Also, the german film "Die Brücke" (1959)

Jepp, that's a very good one.

Also, the german film "Die Brücke" (1959)

Jepp, that's a very good one.

gotta agree again .. it really shows how hopeless young teenagers must have felt back then

--

also i forgot:

mash - last episode (long enough to count as war movie  biggrin_o.gif )

black hawk down (gotta love dolby sourround)

full metal jacket

no man´s land  (movie about poor guy who fell onto a mine)

Some russian movies:

Blokpost (Chechniya) - about a group of soldiers who are together on a roadblock.

this sounds interesting, though i fear i wont get it in any german video rental :E

Some russian movies:

Blokpost (Chechniya) - about a group of soldiers who are together on a roadblock.

this sounds interesting, though i fear i wont get it in any german video rental :E

Probably not, however u might give it a try looking for it on the net like amazon.de. Also I might recommend a russian movie called Chistilische (Killinggrounds) about the storming of Grozny. *Not for the weak hearted*

-------

In my opinion one of the worst "war" movies I have ever seen is "When Trumpets Fade", a completely horroble selection of cast and poor directing.

1. Stalingrad

2. Platoon (Never knew Oliver actually went to Vietnam!)

3. When Trumpets Fade

4. Band of Brothers

5. Black Hawk Down

Once I get my own credit card, I wanna buy some obscene foreign ones I can't find here in Canada like some of those mentioned in this thread.

@ ozanzac. Executive decision is not sci fi mr. persnickety and Star Wars is clearly not a war movie. I don't think my statement changes the tide of movie themes that far. Now maybe if i traveled back in time..... Anyways, you could have said, "no , i think those are action movies instead." Now that I look at it, yeah, they are action movies instead. I will correct my entry down below. Like.... some might argue, "Pathy, you know, I think Operation Delta Force 3 is actually an action movie more than a war movie." Not. "Pathy clearly subjectively based on blah blah yackety smackety scientific data and smugness you're clearly out of line and your making star wars into a war movie." See? Communication skills. Shame on you ozanzac and shame on you Pathy. Now...

my favorite war movie is probably: Saving Private Ryan (based somewhat off of true accounts meaning with a few extra bangs and bucks thrown in)

My favorites:

The Thin Red Line

In Harm's Way (a surprising anti-war, anti-hero war movie with John Wayne directed by Otto Preminger)

They Were Expendable (John Wayne where just about everyone dies...because they were expendable...Japanese invasion of the Phillipines)

Deep Blue World (the Czech movie...highly moving, and quite powerful)

The Dam Busters (great old movie)

EDIT: Forgot:

Blackhawk Down

A Bridge Too Far

The Day After (movie freaked my shit when I was little)

Hunt For Refd October

EDIT2: I'm also going to put down Pearl Harbor like someone else, only because the CG of the attack, while unrealistic, was quite good and exciting.

I swear to God Akira, people are going to start thinking you and I are the same person trying to play two roles on this forum.

We share the exact same politics.

We have the same favorite war movie.

And, aren't you an attorney?

I'm just getting ready to start law school.

Scary! wow_o.giftounge_o.gif

My Top 5:

1. The Thin Red Line

It really communicates the emotions of war and the cinematography was superb. A little deep for your average thinker, but almost poetic for those who enjoy venturing a little deepr into their entertainment.

2. Band of Brothers

Almost as good and factually correct as the book, which was excellent.

3. Platoon

This movie changed the attitude of an entire nation on its Vietnam Veterans. Very powerful for its time, and extremely well acted.

4.Gettysburg

What can I say, I'm a Civil War nut.

5. Saving Private Ryan

Despite the flowery emotion tugging and overt patriotism, this film opened a lot of people's eyes about the realities of armed conflict.

For me the movie...

"GLORY" About the first colored, Civil War Regiment.

(54th Massachusetts Vol. Inf. Co.) I love that movie!

I also think that, "Saving Private Ryan." Is not only a great and true story. But the way they filmed the movie. It made me almost feel like, I was in the movie.

Sincerely, MilitiaSniper

"OFF the WALL Team"

unclesam.gifunclesam.gifunclesam.gifunclesam.gif

I just remembered...

"The Dirty Dozen"

"All's Quiet On the Western Front" It shows that.. No matter what country you are from. Emotions of war. Is all the same.

"Patriot" With Mel Gibson

"Battle Cry"

and finally...

"Sgt. York" Great and awesome story.

Sincerely, MilitiaSniper

"OFF the WALL Team"

unclesam.gif  unclesam.gif  unclesam.gif  unclesam.gif

@ ozanzac.  Executive decision is not sci fi mr. persnickety and Star Wars is clearly not a war movie.  I don't think my statement changes the tide of movie themes that far.  Now maybe if i traveled back in time.....   Anyways, you could have said, "no , i think those are action movies instead."  Now that I look at it, yeah, they are action movies instead.  I will correct my entry down below.  Like.... some might argue, "Pathy, you know, I think Operation Delta Force 3 is actually an action movie more than a war movie."  Not.  "Pathy clearly subjectively based on blah blah yackety smackety scientific data and smugness you're clearly out of line and your making star wars into a war movie."  See?  Communication skills.  Shame on you ozanzac and shame on you Pathy.  Now...

Wha? crazy_o.gif

I also think that, "Saving Private Ryan." Is not only a great and true story. But the way they filmed the movie. It made me almost feel like, I was in the movie.

Sincerely, MilitiaSniper

AFAIK its based on a fictious story, as in there probably was no private ryan and the search party. But everything else based around the main story is true.

meh, lets see...

black hawk down

BoB

SPR

barvo two zero

full metal jacket

apocalyse now

behind enemy lines

warriors (altough i missed the last part, and cant find it anywere crazy_o.gif )

and probably some more tounge_o.gif

I cant belive noone ever mentioned The Bridge on the River Kwai  sad_o.gif

Anyway the best war film ever has to be the "unknown soldier" (Tuntematon Sotilas) by Edvin Laine, written by Väinö Linna. I never miss it when it shows out every Finlands indepence day. But still, the un-cencored book is well better.

Then there's B-20, but the book was better.

Apocalypse now.

We were soldiers.

I didn't like Black Hawk down (too much yank shite), nor Windtalkers (too much...well, just shite) or any other of the yank shite movies

But this topic aint about which movies we hate smile_o.gif

Id like to see the new movie which sweden and finland did with cooperation. Its about the Swedish volunteers in Finland during the Continuation War. Can't remember the name though.

I have like 100,000. But my Favorite is The Pianist.

My Big List.

-Casualties of war.

-Amen.

-A Bridge to far.

-Le Pianiste.

-Battle of Britain.

-The Desert fox.

-The Bridge over the River Kwai.

-Nuremberg Trial.

-Guns of Navarone.

-Hitler : The Rise of Evil.

-Black Hawk Down

-Behind Ennemy lines.

-Under Fire.

-The Longuest day.

-Das Boot !

-Tora Tora Tora !

-Midway.

-The Patriot.

-We Were Soldiers.

-Braveheart.

-The Lost Battalion.

-Red Dawn. (Good War Comedy whit loads of Yank propaganda)

Small Soldiers tounge_o.gif

The grim reality of urban conflict and its effects on those back home biggrin_o.gif