Sign in to follow this  
Puskasoturi

The best war movie ever

Sorry I started this flame war. I will admit that Apocalypse Now is more of a phycological thing, and the plot is pretty simple (Kill colonel Kurtz), but i still like it, and if you dont, thats okay too. you can have your own opinion. Just stop the flaming before this thread gets locked.

Sorry I started this flame war. I will admit that Apocalypse Now is more of a phycological thing, and the plot is pretty simple (Kill colonel Kurtz), but i still like it, and if you dont, thats okay too. you can have your own opinion. Just stop the flaming before this thread gets locked.

Its not your fault dude. Some people cant handle someone not sharing the some tastes in movies and so they insult them to no end and try to put the blame on the insulted person. wink_o.gif

No. Just an opinion...one shared by many. You are entitled to your opinion, but I am also entitled to debate with you about movies I feel are worthy of more than "it sucks". You are welcome to do the same for "The Green Berets."

I'll start:

TGB was little more than a propoganda piece by Wayne after getting sick of the demonstrations and protests of those damned tree hugging hippies.

Quote[/b] ]Its not your fault dude. Some people cant handle someone not sharing the some tastes in movies and so they insult them to no end and try to put the blame on the insulted person.

Yes well as soon as you get over that maybe you should come back...

No. Just an opinion...one shared by many. You are entitled to your opinion, but I am also entitled to debate with you about movies I feel are worthy of more than "it sucks". You are welcome to do the same for "The Green Berets."

I'll start:

TGB was little more than a propoganda piece by Wayne after getting sick of the demonstrations and protests of those damned tree hugging hippies.

It still doesnt make it a bad movie and as for it being a propoganda filim aall the WW2 movies made during WW2 were propoganda filims and some are considered the best movies ever made.

Quote[/b] ]Yes well as soon as you get over that maybe you should come back...
Your 31 years old my friend,why dont you learn to accept that you were wrong and stop flaming this man's thread.

I personally am a big john wayne fan. I liked the green berets, but i dont think it was a fantastic movie (just like i like Bill and teds excellent adventure). Its one of the only Vietnam movies that doesn't have americans killing civiesor one another.

EDIT: Wow, this things going like wildfire.

Akira, you from @war?

Quote[/b] ]I think Gregory Peck also made some damn good movies too.

Twelve O'clock high is one of the best WW2 movies.

I doubt its the sameone considering the @WAR Akria is from the land down under.

It still doesnt make it a bad movie and as for it being a propoganda filim aall the WW2 movies made during WW2 were propoganda filims and some are considered the best movies ever made.

We are able to look at WW2 films through Rose-tinted glasses though - a)We, the Allies, won the war. b)Our cause then was considered sufficiently noble-less so in 68(?).

Times change, so do reactions to events...

Gun of Naverone and McArthor were my favorites.

No it certainly doesn't. The acting and lack of accuracy and bad acting do.

Not all the WW2 movies are considered the greatest ever. Many are still considered propaganda claptrap, however some indeed are more. "Mrs. Miniver" was both a great movie and powerful propoganda piece. Same with "Casablanca."

And don't think I dismissed TGB merely because it was a Wayne movie. I love John Wayne as much as the next American...but TGB was a horrible piece.

Almost forgot about guns of naverone. Another great one is A Wing and a Prayer, about a carrier in action, filmed during the war.

Akira, you from @war?

Wrong Akira...get that all the time.

And 12 O'Clock High is a great movie (though made in 1949...I assumed by WW2 movies that he meant ones made during the war.)

No it certainly doesn't. The acting and lack of accuracy and bad acting do.

Not all the WW2 movies are considered the greatest ever. Many are still considered propaganda claptrap, however some indeed are more. "Mrs. Miniver" was both a great movie and powerful propoganda piece. Same with "Casablanca."

And don't think I dismissed TGB merely because it was a Wayne movie. I love John Wayne as much as the American...but TGB was a horrible piece.

I didnt say all of them were great. I personally saw some old war movies that made me rather watch AN. But I have to disagree with you on your opinion of TGB. For one I did not find too many things out of place. I cant name them off the bat without sitting down with you and watching the movie. Yea the SFX sucked but I think the acting and the story made up for the lack of SFX.

And that is fine. I respect your opinion...unlike your inability to accept my opinion of AN wink_o.gif

Also, I highly recommend "The Best Years Of Our Lives." A great, and pretty hard hitting (for the time) movie about returning vets. One of the actors was an actual sailor who lost both hands in the Pacific.

EDIT: Fixed title.

Akira, you from @war?

Wrong Akira...get that all the time.

And 12 O'Clock High is a great movie (though made in 1949...I assumed by WW2 movies that he meant ones made during the war.)

I keep forgeting the actual release dates but I tend to lean towards 1942-1949.

Quote[/b] ]And that is fine. I respect your opinion...unlike your inability to accept my opinion of AN
I can understand AN until after the village attack then I just loose track of WTF is going esp. when he meets Kurtz then I just get so pissed off that I want to kill Martin Sheen and Marlon Brando.(Yes I know Brando is dead R.I.P.) Speaking of Marlon Brando I saw a movie awhile back where he played a German Officer during WW2 but I forgot the name of it.

Almost forgot about guns of naverone.

Aye, top film along with Force 10 from Navarone. They might not really reflect the grit, dirt and suffering of WW2. But I think they fullfill their purpose in an most excellent way.

And AN is a brilliant movie! It really captures what Joseph Conrad writes about in Heart of Darkness. Which might I add was also put on the silver screen "for real" (staying more true to the book in terms of locale etc.) in 1994. That one isn't a bad movie either, but I think AN does a better job at conveying the "darkness" found in the book.

EDIT: Oh, and if you can classify it as a wae movie, which in my opinion you can. I have to bring up The Pianist, great film. But you probably knew that already :P

EDIT2: Did anyone happen to see the "real" filmatization (sp?) of Heart of Darkness? If so, some opinions please? smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]And that is fine. I respect your opinion...unlike your inability to accept my opinion of AN
I can understand AN until after the village attack then I just loose track of WTF is going esp. when he meets Kurtz then I just get so pissed off that I want to kill Martin Sheen and Marlon Brando.(Yes I know Brando is dead R.I.P.) Speaking of Marlon Brando I saw a movie awhile back where he played a German Officer during WW2 but I forgot the name of it.

Here ya go.

They meet up with the playboy bunnies, kill evryone on a sampan, stay at a french plantation, then they meet up with Kurtz. Sorry if i missed anything

French Plantation scene was only in the DVD "ReDux" version, and no doubt the odd VHS (God, what a dirty acronym that is now...:D) had it as well. Everything else is right though, methinks smile_o.gif.

Does anyone know what happens after willard and lance return to the PBR and turn off the radio? Do they return, or go AWOL?

BTW: If anyones interested in Heart of Darkness but doesn't want to read, I have an Orson Welles radio broadcast dramatization of it. (One of my hobbies is collecting old radio broadcasts)

For those that don't like AN, try "Hearts Of Darkness" the documentary filmed by Copolla's wife during the making of AN. Though it won't make you like the movie, it might give you a bit of appreciation for what he was attempting to do. The man almost went insane himself making it.

One of my favorite bits is when they are filming one of the helicopter attack scenes. They used Phillippine Army helicopters, and the Phillippines was still fighting an insurgency. Right in the middle of filming one of the scenes you see the helicopters peel away and head off...they were called to attack the rebels. Copolla is just left there mouth wide open.

Also, there is just some audio recorded by the Copollas. You can clearly hear Francis lossing his sanity.

And not to give away any thing of the documentary, got to IMDb and read the trivia...here are a few:

Quote[/b] ]# Francis Ford Coppola believed that Marlon Brando was familiar with Joseph Conrad's "Heart of Darkness" and had prepared for the role before the legendary actor arrived on the set. When Brando did come out, Coppola was horrified to find that Brando had never read "Heart of Darkness", did not know his lines, and had become extremely fat (Kurtz had always been written as a tall but starvingly-thin man). After some panicking, Coppola decided to film the 5'10" Brando as if he was a massively built, 6'5" brute (to explain Brando's size) and steered the camera clear of Brando's huge belly.

# Francis Ford Coppola spent days reading Joseph Conrad's source novel "Heart of Darkness" out loud to Marlon Brando on the set.

Martin Sheen was actually drunk in the scene where Willard is drunk alone in his hotel room. All of Sheen's actions in that scene were a result of his real intoxication. When Sheen punched the mirror (which was real glass), he really did cut his hand as shown in the film. While drunk, Sheen also began sobbing and tried to attack Francis Ford Coppola.

Originally scheduled to be shot over six weeks, ended up taking 16 months.

Poor Martin Sheen; a man really should not be having a heart attack at that age. If that doesn't suggest how ardous the shoot was, nothing'll do...