Sign in to follow this  
Puskasoturi

The best war movie ever

Indeed. Bought the DVD pack too, and I've watched it like 10-15 times (usually I watch a movie 2 times in the first weeks after I get it and then like once every 2 years). What, IMO, makes it so special is that you follow a group of people through the war, and it takes a long time (10 hours yes) tounge2.gif but especially the fact that you know all of it actually happened. Feels like you know them and fought with them in a strange and funny way tounge2.gif

Indeed. Bought the DVD pack too, and I've watched it like 10-15 times (usually I watch a movie 2 times in the first weeks after I get it and then like once every 2 years). What, IMO, makes it so special is that you follow a group of people through the war, and it takes a long time (10 hours yes) tounge2.gif but especially the fact that you know all of it actually happened. Feels like you know them and fought with them in a strange and funny way tounge2.gif

Absolutely, it's very continous and I guess you could say that even though it's very cliché, the guys you follow are the soldiers you'd like to be. Honorable, hardworking, selfsacrificing etc. Probably a bit utopian but very good entertainment all the same smile_o.gif

Thin Red Line is definately one of my favorite movies, though it's not quite a war movie. If that makes any sense. crazy_o.gif

Not entirely sure it counts as a war movie, but one of the most powerful movies I have ever seen is Hotel Rwanda about the genocide during the Rwandan civil war in 1994. I have never seen so many people, men and women, cry during a film. Also when people leave a film they always tend to chat about it whereas for this I didn't see anyone speak, everyone was so moved by it.

1.A Bridge Too Far

2. Thin Red Line

3. Big Red One

4. The Beast

5. Gallipoli

6. Battle over Britain

7. Stalingrad

8. Band of Brothers

9. No Mans Land

10. Black Hawk Down

11. Saving Private Ryan

As far as I remember.

First Blood Part II

Blackhawk Down

We Were Soldiers

The Rock

Band of Brothers

Saving Private Ryan

The Great Escape

Hart's War

Full Metal Jacket

Hamburger Hill

Dirty Dozen

I'm curious to hear how many people have seen this one?  

Aleksei Balabanov's Voina

The War 2002

http://www.kinoeye.org/02/18/horton18_no3.php

Screenshots

http://www.hkflix.com/xq....ens.htm

Very interesting depiction of the Russia/Chechnyan crisis.

This movie is goddam epic too and the amount of Russian, military hardware that features in this film is amazing.

Flushes movies like BHD and Tears of the Sun down the toilet in my opinion.   biggrin_o.gif

Yep, that's a VSS rifle he's carrying. thumbs-up.gif

Anyone who's played Flashpoint will enjoy the end scene, where there's a dust-off featuring an Mi-8 whilst two Mi-24 choppers are performing CAS. biggrin_o.gif

Thin Red Line is definately one of my favorite movies, though it's not quite a war movie. If that makes any sense.  crazy_o.gif

heh, I know what you mean, but it's kinda hard explaining it with words tounge2.gif It's more of a movie about how that guy (don't remember his name, something starting with 'W' tounge2.gif ) looks on life and stuff like that...it's in a way a bit like Apocalypse Now...it shows what the war did with peoples mind...at least IMO, as many of the guys start to become a bit crazy as the war goes on crazy_o.gif

I'm amazed that it seems quite few people have seen Thin Red Line confused_o.gif At least here where I live. One of my mates bought the DVD after he loaned my DVD tounge2.gif

Quote[/b] ]Maybe they acted alone, maybe they wanted to get into nirvana.

Quote[/b] ]And its not even the humans that "win" the war!
I just like watching those alien ships shoot they're heat rays,lol. rofl.gif

Quote[/b] ]And its not even the humans that "win" the war!
I just like watching those alien ships shoot they're heat rays,lol. rofl.gif

My other favorite part is when they drop the atomic bomb on em, and basically stand out in the open to watch. Dust and wind blowing all around them and all they have on for protection is a pair of goggles.

"That's funny. I can't have kids anymore."

rofl.gif I like the part when that woman and that guy were hiding in the house and they came face to face with an alien and she gave a scream that was so fake I was on the floor laughing. rofl.gif

Quote[/b] ]My other favorite part is when they drop the atomic bomb on em, and basically stand out in the open to watch. Dust and wind blowing all around them and all they have on for protection is a pair of goggles.

That's my favorite scene to. I always chuckle during that scene. I mean they are totally caked with radioactive dust, so much so they cough and clouds of it billow off them.

I actually didn't think the movie was too bad though for that time. I haven't seen it in a while though.

at the time war of the worlds was made, real life observers of atomic tests were doin the same thing.

Finally got to watch "der Untergang"(downfall in US) on DVD and I must say it was damn good film. Bruno Ganz really made great impression in the beginning as Hitler who is going nuts and did well through out the film albeit it could have been a bit excessive acting in some scenes. thumbs-up.gif

I know what you mean! smile_o.gif But dont forget that most of the real good actors in the german speaking countries still learned their skills at old fashioned theatres. What looks good on a stage may appear over-theatralic in a movie.

Hmmm...

Band of Brothers

Battle of Britain (1969; due flying scenes)

Black Hawk Down

Saving Private Ryan

Tuntematon Sotilas

Where Eagles Dare

And numerous others...

And few... well, non-movies.

Trinity and Beyond (aka The Atomic Bomb movie) (actually a documentary about nuclear exams... Interesting... "Cpt. Kirk" as narrator.)

Atomic Cáfe (a documentary completely cut out of archive material. Quite hilarious; most, if not all, material from 40's to 60's, about cold war from US point of view. Duck and cover!)

And different documents, especially BBC ones. BBC's "From Normandy to Berlin" is quite good.

WOLVERINES!!!!

Savior was very good, as was Shot through the Heart.

The Beast of War,great film

enemy at the gates

tumbledown,not so much a film,but bloody great,think it was made by the bbc

red dawn,old film,think it was that guy from dirty dancing in it cant spell his name..about ussr invading the us

windtalkers

a bridge too far.

Zulu

anyone seen this?

Brotherhood

Tae Guk Gi? Yeah. I think it's a great film. Got the same cash it seems as SPR, since it's pretty up to many Americans standards since SPR.

anyone seen this?

Brotherhood

yup. a bit melodramatic, but ok. there is another thread for it. you can search for it under Taegukgi or Taeguk gi(was it ki)

3. Talvisota (The Winter War)

A Finnish war movie that takes place in a bloody war between Finland and Soviet Union in 1939 to 1940.

Agreed, its an awesome movie. I have the double-pack which also contained "Tuntematon Sotilas" from 1955!

I also like the swedish movie "Framom främsta linjen"(Beyond Enemy Lines) from 2004 which surprised me, it was really good. *lol* Heres a trailer: http://www.etulinjanedessa.fi/etulinja_laajakaista.mov

I also have a soft spot for Vietnam movies, I can see em all; Platoon, Hamburger hill, Full metal jacket, hell even Tigerland but the one I like the most is "We were soldiers". I actually dissed the movie first due to Mel Gibson being in it but he is forgiven now. It was really good, the combat part that is. nener.gif

What else, the big WWII; band of brothers, Saving Private Ryan, Stalingrad, Das boot. *Forgot to list Enemy at the gates*

Havent seen Cross of Iron, gotta check that one out.