das boot

the longest day

a bridge too far

saving private ryan

platoon

patton

blackhawk down

three kings

the pianist (could be considered a war movie to some extent)

tora tora tora

I surprised that so many people put We Were Soldiers on the list. That movie seemed so overly cliched and seemed to be trying to hard to be patriotic yet fair

I like rambo 1-3 (not realistic but cool) (not really a war movie either)

and saving private ryan was good too (the begining was the best omaha beach scence ever made)

Most of the films mentioned thus far are pretty good, but determining the best war movie ever is too hard.

Suprised to see "The great escape" hasn't rated much of a mention yet. Probably one of the best IMO.

I also enjoyed 'Tigerland', a flick about troops training prior to deployment in Vietnam.

Kelly's Heros

Also like to add The 3 Kings. Not one of the best but the visual effects were eye-catching at the time. Now you can see the same thing nightly on CSI.

A Bridge Too Far and An Ungentlemanly Act. The former was the last great WWII war film if you ask me, and the latter is a very British film about the Royal Marines defending the governer of the Falklands against the Argentine commandos during the invasion of the islands. Bloody good film.

I've seen BAT21 mentioned alittle..I don't know if many know but that movie was utter bullshit. It was made when the actual story of BAT21 was still classified so they just put together a movie with very general "facts". BAT21 was actually rescued by a US Navy SEAL a south vietnamese SEAL the rescue was as "exciting" as running away from a napalm strike but the SEAL, tom norris was his name I believe did recieve the medal of honor during the war if I recall correctly...just figured I'd shed some light on that movie...

I know I psted allready but "Bridge over River Kwai" is a fine example of a war flick

My favorites:

The Thin Red Line

In Harm's Way (a surprising anti-war, anti-hero war movie with John Wayne directed by Otto Preminger)

They Were Expendable (John Wayne where just about everyone dies...because they were expendable...Japanese invasion of the Phillipines)

Deep Blue World (the Czech movie...highly moving, and quite powerful)

The Dam Busters (great old movie)

EDIT: Forgot:

Blackhawk Down

A Bridge Too Far

The Day After (movie freaked my shit when I was little)

Hunt For Refd October

EDIT2: I'm also going to put down Pearl Harbor like someone else, only because the CG of the attack, while unrealistic, was quite good and exciting.

Akira, you actually liked The Thin Red Line rock.gif I think your the first person I've come across that did..but to each his own I guess. Dark Blue World is a GREAT movie, just wish they could've left out the CHEEZY love triangle and included more air combat stuff

Deep Blue World (the Czech movie...highly moving, and quite powerful)

Dark, Dark Blue World!

Anyways, I notice I'm the only one who even mentioned my top choice, so here's some more info:

B00005Q4DF.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Quote[/b] ]A crowning achievement of 1980's Soviet cinema, Elem Klimov's Come and See is perhaps the ultimate WWII film. This savage and lyrical fever dream of death, rage and terror experienced through young eyes is a virtual primer for the subsequent, similarly psychedelic intensity of Terrence Malick's "The thin Red Line" and Spielberg's "Saving Private Ryan," Klimov's elegant, harrowing union of unflinching ferocity and dreamlike clarity moved "Empire of the Sun" author J.G. Ballard to declare Come And See the greatest war film ever made. Time Out New York agreed, saying "Come And See's nimble balance of the sordid with the elegiac makes Peckinpah's 'Cross of Iron' seem like 'Newsies.'

When young Florya willingly joins a group of Partisans fighting the Nazis in Byelorussia, USSR, he little suspects that he is plunging through the looking glass. Separated from his comrades during a paratroop attack and struck deaf by German artillery, Florya - in the company of Glascha, a beguiling peasant girl - wanders a battle-scorched Russian purgatory of prehistoric forests and man-made slaughter. Florya's journey takes him and us through a gallery of exquisitely poetic imagery and brutal human atrocity. Unlike traditional war films, Come And See never stoops to convenient heroic catharsis or genre movie narrative symmetry. Images of a beautiful girl's impromptu dance in the rain and an SS unit's spontaneous, self-congratulatory applause at their own butchery haunt with equal power. More than any other war film, Come And See unites the powerful truths and inescapable dilemmas that lurk behind both the raptures of youth and the horrors of war.

*edit* better cover picture

Three of my favorites happen to be old Russian films...

The first one is Oni zrajalis za Rodinu... They fought for the motherland....

and a classic Soviet film... v'boi edut odni Stariki... to battle go only the grandpa's ( slang )

and Zvesda ( star ) about Russian recon units in WW2 ...

Some newer ones... are Voina... and Marsh brasok...

western movies include....

Stalingrad...

the Pianist...

3 Kings...

Full Metal Jacket...

thats all for now....

Executive Decision is also another favorite of mine. It's awesome because they have to operate on an airplane which they sneak on in a modified F-117 that docks with it and they get in the cargo section and try to take out the terrorists. Very good movie. Music by Jerry Goldsmith. Kurt Russel, Steven Seagal, John Leguizamo. The black man comes out badly injured of course. Another sad black movie cliche. Like we're the soldiers who can sneak crack past the enemy cops but can't sneak past the enemies crack in combat. Really bad movie stereotype.

1) Full Metal Jacket

032503_ermey_header02.jpg

"Get the f--k off of my obstacle! Get the f--k down off of my obstacle! Now! Move it! I'm going to rip your balls off, so you cannot contaminate the rest of the world!"

2) Band of Brothers

3) Windtalkers

For TV/Mini - Warriors.

B00004D08G.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0119873/

Plot Outline: After seeing devastating results of ethnic war in former Yugoslavia soldiers from UNPROFOR peace units find it impossible to return back to their civil lives in the UK.

Quote[/b] ]It is the darkening spiral that the five are sent on by these events and the relationships they form throughout them that forms the crux of the film, never demonstrated more clearly than by the return to the friends and families who see them as heroes. Bloody and sickening in parts, Warriors is given extra poignancy by the fact that it is based on the real-life testimony of British soldiers. A million miles away from the Rambos of this world this is the war film coming of age. --Phil Udell

Harrowing, moving and powerful, watching this and Savior side by side would leave anyone drained of emotion smile_o.gif

Also, the german film "Die Brücke" (1959)

ihf_1799_6792950.jpg

In the final days of World War II, German teenagers join the Nazi army in a futile attempt to stop the enemy invasion. A sympathetic officer places the boys as guards of a seemingly unimportant bridge. The seven youths are thrown into battle when American tanks unexpectedly appear and try to cross the bridge. The film has a definite anti-war message

Best scene: an american soldier shouts "dont shoot, they are goddamn kids.." a few seconds later he is being shot dead by one of the youngest. A good message about child-soldiers

and once in a while forget realism. The best "all-stars" in one film. A BRIDGE TOO FAR

bruearnh.jpg

Quote[/b] ]Executive Decision is also another favorite of mine. It's awesome because they have to operate on an airplane which they sneak on in a modified F-117 that docks with it and they get in the cargo section and try to take out the terrorists. Very good movie. Music by Jerry Goldsmith. Kurt Russel, Steven Seagal, John Leguizamo. The black man comes out badly injured of course. Another sad black movie cliche. Like we're the soldiers who can sneak crack past the enemy cops but can't sneak past the enemies crack in combat. Really bad movie stereotype.

Queue fart sound. (and face) wow_o.gif

Firstly, it's definantly not a war movie.

Secondly, The whole F-117 thing.....Very, very far fetched......No, actually, that's an understatement. It's extremly far fetched.

And thirdly. War movies must at least have a historic backdrop. Otherwise we'd have to include stuff like Starship Troopers, Star Wars and a whole bunch of other sci-fi flicks.

War movies must at least have a historic backdrop. Otherwise we'd have to include stuff like Starship Troopers, Star Wars and a whole bunch of other sci-fi flicks.

What do you mean?

I like Transformers  tounge_o.gif

Are there any good and known movies made from the Falklands war?

My favourite war films are:

1. The Great Escape

2. A Bridge Too Far

3. The Bridge on the River Kwai

4. Dirty Dozen

5. Kelly's Heroes

Quote[/b] ]Are there any good and known movies made from the Falklands war?

Thats what I wanted to know too someone mentioned one a page or two back it was called: An Ungentlemanly Act.

Quote[/b] ]...and the latter is a very British film about the Royal Marines defending the governer of the Falklands against the Argentine commandos during the invasion of the islands. Bloody good film.

Still want to know if there are more though.

Some russian movies:

Blokpost (Chechniya) - about a group of soldiers who are together on a roadblock.

Speznaz series (All over the place) - very nicely done, about a few GRU operatives

What I have to say about The Thin Red Line is that its great but may not appeal to most because of its pace, at times it becomes very slow and boring.