Sign in to follow this  
hyakushiki

Hyk modern u.s. infantry pack released

prolly been asked before but has there been a version released that uses better weapons without having to manually do it..thanks in advance...

flags are pointed the right way too!

Actually, they are pointing the wrong way wink_o.gif

It is standard procedure for ALL US units to have the flag pointing "the wrong way" to "simulate" the fact that that is what the flag would look like in real life if it was being rushed forward by advancing troops.

Well but definetly not for the '85 soldiers and probably not even the '91 soldiers.

The reversed flag has been introduced sometime in the nineties, if I'm right. Don't know when exactly, though...

delta.jpg

Picture taken in 1989 during Operation Just Cause.

SFOD-D operators are wearing the flag reversed as is common now days...so it must have been early '80s. I'll see what I can find.

After a little searching this is the only actual picture from Urgent Fury in '83 showing such a trait I could find.

NavySeaKingHelos.jpg

It's on a helicopter but...

I also found this drawing of a Marine circa 1983 in Grenada. Don't know how accurate it really is, although it shows the reversed flag.

bil018.JPG

HYK,

brilliant work on updating the desert brown stripes smile_o.gif

and youve lowered the brightness of the units.

However, I see that its the white levels that you have lowered.

I was actually refering to the black levels before hand. They appear to have remained the same. Allow me to illustrate.

Here's your new version 1.02--plz look at the darkest areas and compare.

hyk_version1.02.jpg

And here is what I suggest, notice how the bright areas are not darker than before, only the shadows are. These were actually made from version 1.01 not version 1.02.

hyk_sug_by_me.jpg

Youll notice that I put a standard BIS unit in there also so you could compare with his darkest areas also.

Again--I wont be publishing these as it is your project but Im happy to send you them if you want to have a play around.

Zay.

PS. I absolutely LOVE these units!

in any future updates can you make the boots less orange?

try these

http://www.thesportsauthority.com/graphic....reg.jpg

I just saw a couple of guys on the train the other day wearing their desert uniforms and wearing these.

Just trying to help... great job on the units.

That looks like a slight desaturation with a lime overlay job to get that effect.

Very nice pack!  A couple of suggestions to make them more realistic:

-most US soldiers don't use the Molle FLC vest, they attach pouches straight to their body armour

-I don't remember seeing any canteens on the 03 units... maybe I just missed them...  it should also be noted though, that many soldiers now use Camelbak systems, most commonly the Thermopak I believe.  I don't think they're offical issue, I think it's something the soldiers buy out of their own pocket.

-Even if no other unit is given a backpack, the medic should.  

-Greniders should have an M203 vest, even the older units.

-Machine Gunners for the 03 units should have large MG mag pouches, not M16 pouches.  

-A number of soldiers now are using ESS tactical goggles instead of the sand/wind goggles.  Don't know if the ESS ones are becoming standard issue, or if they're just something the soldiers are all buy for themselves like the Camelbaks.

-Finally, the gasmask bags look nice, but many soldiers don't carry them around with them unless there's a specific threat of chemicals or bio warfare in their area of operations.

-Finally, the gasmask bags look nice, but many soldiers don't carry them around with them unless there's a specific threat of chemicals or bio warfare in their area of operations.

Um... I had to carry my stupid promask every time I was ever in the field, if it was just an hour long marksmanship drill or a month-long FTX. Infantry always have their promask on them in the field in my experience, even if they never use it. Besides, it makes a good pillow at night. smile_o.gif

Um... I had to carry my stupid promask every time I was ever in the field, if it was just an hour long marksmanship drill or a month-long FTX. Infantry always have their promask on them in the field in my experience, even if they never use it. Besides, it makes a good pillow at night.  smile_o.gif

lol, I bet it would make a nice pillow, maybe a little lumpy though. tounge_o.gif

As for carrying the masks, I've seen many photos from A-stan, and Iraq, though less from Iraq, probably due to the preceved threat of bio warfare, of soldiers without the mask bags on. Even if you go back to Somolia, Desert Storm, and so on, you can evidence that a number of soldiers choose to leave them behind on missions. But, that's only judging from photos and video.

That may be true for Afghanistan, but during the invasion of Iraq, everyone was wearing MOPP suits in addition to their promask bags. Much of that gear is obviously stowed now, as we're not exactly in a war anymore. But certainly, in 1985 with the threat of a Soviet attack, troops would wear their promasks on their side at all times. Likewise in Gulf War I - I promise you that every soldier from the start of Desert Shield to the end of Desert Storm will have had their promask on them, or at least within arms reach. All I'm suggesting is that the promasks remain on the troops, as they will be hanging from the sides of 99% of the soldiers you'd see them on. Afghanistan is an exception, not a rule.

Um... I had to carry my stupid promask every time I was ever in the field, if it was just an hour long marksmanship drill or a month-long FTX. Infantry always have their promask on them in the field in my experience, even if they never use it. Besides, it makes a good pillow at night. smile_o.gif

lol, I bet it would make a nice pillow, maybe a little lumpy though. tounge_o.gif

As for carrying the masks, I've seen many photos from A-stan, and Iraq, though less from Iraq, probably due to the preceved threat of bio warfare, of soldiers without the mask bags on. Even if you go back to Somolia, Desert Storm, and so on, you can evidence that a number of soldiers choose to leave them behind on missions. But, that's only judging from photos and video.

I beg to differ about the non-use of promask, One Somalia was mostly Rangers and Delta they seldom wear chemical protection gear due to the amout of time they spend behind enemy areas. Were the enemy are not really going to use chemical weapons on themselves. HAd to have mine 90% of the time I was in the field, and godforbid if you got caught without it by the 1St. Sgt. Your weapon and your promask were with in arms reach at all times in my unit. Promask did ok for a pillow and seat cussion to save the tender buttocks riding on troop seats on the back of M35A2s and M880s.

keep the gasmask. I lilke the view of the bag  on these soldiers and it's realistic as stated by the above two (ex?)soldiers

[edit] HELL!?! V1.02 already? I guess I missed something here. Great work on these quick updates hyakushiki! Good to see you changed the colors on the desert uniform. This will make them even better [/edit]

Yeah ex for the time being former US Army I was in vehicle maintenace wheeled, tracked, weapons. then mech Inf cause the motor pool is too political for my tastes. Supported SF for the so called war on drugs and old anti terrorist task force. Mostly back when the IRA was being a pain in the rear Army RECONDO (not ROTC) trained, was also a Army combat shooter went to the national matches twice at Camp Robinson. We beat the crap out of a lot of teams dispite we were still using M16A1s, and most everyone else had M16A2s around 93. Slated for a Artillery unit to reenlist into. So may not be ex for that much longer. Infact I know my formor unit wasn't able to get rid of the M16A1 till roughtly mid 95, but they had heavy barrels so they could fire the SS109 ammo without exploding. The A2 seemed better but if you heavilly trained as much as I did with the A1 you could usually beat an A2 shooter. Slowing down the need to replace all the M16A1s in the invintory. A lot of the special gear like camel backs and the rail system on the weapons is uaully bought by the induvisual soldier. They are active duty and can afford to spend money on upgrading their guns and combat gear. either strongly sugested or manditory by unit SOP. And the M60 is still in use in the US Army as well as M2HBA2 Usually takes 10 to 20 years to fully phase out something in the invintory when the high end units get rid of their their old gear and parts trickle down to non line units MPs transportation and other units. Hell were still carring M3A1s durring the firs gulf war as a weapon for vehicle drivers. The P90 was supposed to replace it, its still being evaluated as of oh a month ago. Another reason the Amy milked the AR15 for almost 40 years. They are cheep, I think a few hundred bucks to the Army each. But you can't buy them that cheep I'll have to look up the cost for them again I forgot from working in the Arms room so we could charge troops if they damaged their weapons in the field. Common was using the M16 to pry open crates and tweak the barrel assemply, never shoot striaght again.

Great, IMO they're now exactly as they should be! biggrin_o.gif Perfect, but now for the weapon problem... wink_o.gif I'll have to stick to init line filling for now.

May be this scripts will hellp you.

Thanks very much, @cero. smile_o.gif

Interesting, at what details ppl are looking, when an addon is absolutly perfect.

"Can you make the underware a little bit darker?"

MfG Lee biggrin_o.gif

Really, really great units (have i said that already? biggrin_o.gif).

I can make really good use of 'em. Now i just have to dig up my scripting skills (i have to anyway @ EWI) and make a nice mission : )

As I said before simply make the nbc-gear a hidden selection that can be either visible or not via a simple line of code.

ThePara, the two pictures of soldiers only show the flag on the left arm. The flag is not reversed; it just happens to have the blue field towards the front.

hyakushiki, excellent addon, just one minor suggestion: an altered model for the machinegun soldiers with larger ammunition pouches.

Sorry Lee, but when you look at the units and things just jump off the screen at you as being wrong, then there is no reason not to politely discuss the option of possibly having it changed in future versions. Nit picking I know, but when things are wrong, they're wrong. No reason not to point it out as it's not an opinionated suggestion, but based on visual facts.

i agree with Lee, after installing 102 and just making them carry earl's weapons... this addon is 100%. Nothing else i can see changing.. every other addon in flash however something i dont like about it.. but i guess thats why these are my favorites.. there just so "RIGHT".

Sure, there are a couple of little things that should be tweaked, but even so, this addon is just fantastic.

Simply fantastic work. I think the original BIS US Troops just got a lot more free time, now that they're unemployed. smile_o.gif

Just wondering if someone has a config with Earls weapons for these units? If it's already been done it would save me the time of doing it myself. A PM would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Captain