Sign in to follow this  

Ask a mod

Will do. They are more or less, of a similar nature as me, so I doubt any problems would arise from their conduct........ That and they'd risk some serious retaliation if they screw up. biggrin_o.gif

OK, I'm about to move out of home to be closer to uni, and me and three other mates are gonna share a broadband connection through a router: chances are it will have a static IP, and chances also are, seeing as that their 'closet' OFP players, that they'll probably join up to these forums with their own accounts. (They've been scabbing off of me for about a year and a half for OFP addons and mods)

Basically, are we (and most impotantly I) going to be able to do this, cause nothing would s**t me more than being accused of having multiple identities. And I don't really want to 'share' MY one account amongst three others.

If it's anything like the bb set up I had at uni you won't have a problem. Assuming you're sharing the connection over a home LAN, with one PC directly connected to the Interweb and the others sort of `piggybacking'. In that case, although you only have one PC connecting, each PC on the LAN should have its own IP. Don't ask me for details of how that works `cause I'm not very techie, but we never had problems. (NB: Make sure that the person who has the direct connection is an easy going PC addict, `cause you'll need their unit to be turned on if you want to connect to the Web from one of the others. For this reason it's good if they are a heavy sleeper, who won't be disturbed by the sound of their PCs fan being on at odd hours! In fact you could even rig their PC to `wake on ring' so that you could switch it on remotely ... Oh, and make sure that they take good care of their system too, take reasonable anti-virus precautions etc. And preferably that they have a nice fast machine.)

If it's anything like the bb set up I had at uni you won't have a problem.  Assuming you're sharing the connection over a home LAN, with one PC directly connected to the Interweb and the others sort of `piggybacking'.  In that case, although you only have one PC connecting, each PC on the LAN should have its own IP.  Don't ask me for details of how that works `cause I'm not very techie, but we never had problems.  (NB:  Make sure that the person who has the direct connection is an easy going PC addict, `cause you'll need their unit to be turned on if you want to connect to the Web from one of the others.  For this reason it's good if they are  a heavy sleeper, who won't be disturbed by the sound of their PCs fan being on at odd hours!  In fact you could even rig their PC to `wake on ring' so that you could switch it on remotely ... Oh, and make sure that they take good care of their system too, take reasonable anti-virus precautions etc.  And preferably that they have a nice fast machine.)

I don't quite know how that works, but we're basiclly getting a modem, then we'll see if the hub/switch that we've been using for LAN's is compatible without any one computer needing to have full control. And if it's not compatible, we'll probably buy a four connection router.

We're not new to networking, and to save power, you can bet we won't have the PC wake up features on. We'll be poor enough as it is! wink_o.gif

We had Internet through cable so there was only one access point. Everyone else's PC was on an Ethernet. To get internet access you had to have the `gateway' PC connected. However, it might well be different if you're getting a modem, rather than a cable connection.

I dunno if you've looked into it but some uni's are very nice and, if you get a place in halls or in a university-owned house in your first year, will offer you a connection via the university system at nominal rates. This is usually a T1 speed connection, therefore would be great for gaming ...

Feel free to continue this discussion in private smile_o.gif

I don´t want to sound "pressuring" but hey it´s midst february and you still not even decided wich avatar to use for vip ? When will be elections over ? When easter bunny hops along ? rock.gif

With regard to the VIP avatar. So far 6 moderators have voted, 4 for one avatar, 2 for another, we're waiting on 2 more moderators to vote, I think what I'll do is give them both until Sunday 23:59pm to vote, if they haven't voted by then I will take their proxy votes and give them to the avatar in second place so that it's a 4-4 split, then you guys can vote between the two, obviously if a third or fourth avatar comes into the mix then they will be included in the vote.

It's now February and your still deciding on the avatars! mad_o.gif

Slackers! biggrin_o.giftounge_o.gif

Arggh i just got a mean PM from Hellfish , subject was "Your Permanently banned" crazy_o.gif

I tried to open the PM the page took so slow it was torture i was trying to in the meanwhile find out what had i done wrong .... tounge_o.gif

Turned it was a Happy Birthday PM biggrin_o.gif , do you mods do that often to give us folks a heart attack or something ? ghostface.gif

Turned it was a Happy Birthday PM biggrin_o.gif  , do you mods do that often to give us folks a heart attack or something ?  ghostface.gif

Yes, I got two of those from the mods titled Your Banned.

*Plans evil revenge plan ghostface.gifbiggrin_o.gif *

I have a question as to what a 'link' to a website that contains explicit images/movies actually is.

For example (imagine this link contains potentially offensive material)http://www.palmsprings.com/points/dogpark/images/puppy.jpg

Now that's a direct link. If that link contained offensive content, it's against forum rules..........I get that, I read them before deciding to post this.

But what about if one was to simply post the address in a fashion that forces people to copy and paste the address into their browsers and also add disclaimers that either the content of that exact address or content linked to that webpage could be offensive, like so below:

Below is the address to a webpage that could be offensive and/or disturbing to some viewers. Discretion is advised before copying and pasting the address into your browser.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">http://www.palmsprings.com/points/dogpark/images/puppy.jpg

Could you clear this up, because I feel that sometimes, we're being over cautious as to what content is and isn't offensive, and as a result, we're losing out on posting information/images/movies that could be quite constructive to an arguement or point of view.

ok, step by step

1)no direct linking - meaning don't link images here.

2)if you are linking something and that site has some questionable pictures, please do not link.

3)if you are linking something and that site has some links on the linked page to questionable pictures, please put a warning .

for example, if there is a site called 1234.com and the linked page to that site has links to questionable images, please state warning. something like 'this link contains links to explicit images' (per #3)

however, if 1234.com link contains image on its webpage that you are linking, please do not post the link.(per #2)

in other words, please post the link if and only if when readers here first click it, do not contain questionable images.

whats specail about the mod makers group is just a recognition thing im just wondering cause i think i should be in it as im a member of RHS and have been making 3d models fro flashoint for over a year now tounge_o.gif

whats specail about the mod makers group is just a recognition thing im just wondering cause i think i should be in it as im a member of RHS and have been making 3d models fro flashoint for over a year now tounge_o.gif

For the umpteenth time (use search function next time wink_o.gif ):

there was a time when O2 was in beta-testing phase and only a select few were in possession of that beta version. To gain access to special forums related to this beta-test phase, they were given modmaker status smile_o.gif

ok thank you i always forget about the serach function (probably like 75% of the forum do tounge_o.gif )

ok thank you i always forget about the serach function (probably like 75% of the forum do tounge_o.gif )

Gah, you ain't kiddin crazy_o.gif

You're right, (as I've already stated in this thread I believe) it's a worthless title because all have the tools, but if someone cares enough to want those words under their name they can PM me and I'll transfer them.

nah mate im not that bothered i was just intrigued anyway i think my user name pretty much hints at what i do smile_o.gif