Sign in to follow this  
feersum.endjinn

Finnish defence forces mod 1.0 released!

Whats this "save game cheat" you guys are talking about? Normally you can only save once in a game yes?

I would love to get this cheat. Some missions are just too hard for me... wink_o.gif

ALT + TAB out of the game, delete the save.fps file, ALT + TAB back and save again....ad infinitum smile_o.gif

or better left shift and minus at the same time then type savegame

I use it all the times crazy_o.gif

or better left shift and minus at the same time then type savegame

I use it all the times  crazy_o.gif

Yep, I always use that cheat. I´ve used it so much that when I type savegame it goes as quickly as hitting the F5 key in most games tounge_o.gif

The Voodoo cards don't support textures larger than 256x256 I believe. Best get a nice nVidia card for around $150!

I believe that the voodoo4/5 cards handle 2048x2048 textures. In the error message "Invalid Texture aspect ratio (1024x64)" i think the important part is aspect ratio : That is the relative proportions of horizontal and vertical resolutions.

Maybe FDF uses some 1024x64 textures that the voodoo5 would not support as every hardware has its limitations, for instance, some older graphic cards could only use squares as textures, that is, if you had to use a 256x128 texture it would fill the memory of a 256x256 (1:1 aspect ratio)...

I can't tell much about voodoo5 as i dont really know it but i'd agree with BlackDog that it is quite outdated now and i would add that OFP deserves T&L smile_o.gif

Hmm.. I get the muzzle flash thingie bug with the AK47 w/ grenade launcher (regular resistance grenadier has it) when FDF mod is activated. Something wrong with me or the mod?

Hmm.. I get the muzzle flash thingie bug with the AK47 w/ grenade launcher (regular resistance grenadier has it) when FDF mod is activated. Something wrong with me or the mod?

It's FDF Mod "feature" and will be fixed biggrin_o.gif

Whats this "save game cheat" you guys are talking about? Normally you can only save once in a game yes?

I would love to get this cheat. Some missions are just too hard for me... wink_o.gif

ALT + TAB out of the game, delete the save.fps file, ALT + TAB back and save again....ad infinitum  smile_o.gif

Actually it's much much easier if you just type

shift and - at the same time. Then thereafter, savegame

Faster than alt tabbing.

Of you can always search The FAQ for "cheats" tounge_o.gif

ALT + TAB out of the game, delete the save.fps file, ALT + TAB back and save again....ad infinitum  smile_o.gif

Actually it's much much easier if you just type

shift and - at the same time.  Then thereafter, savegame

Faster than alt tabbing.

Of you can always search The FAQ for "cheats"  tounge_o.gif

lol harnu look at my post up here wink_o.gif

@ June 26 2003,14:05)]
The Voodoo cards don't support textures larger than 256x256 I believe. Best get a nice nVidia card for around $150!

I believe that the voodoo4/5 cards handle 2048x2048 textures. In the error message "Invalid Texture aspect ratio (1024x64)" i think the important part is aspect ratio : That is the relative proportions of horizontal and vertical resolutions.

Maybe FDF uses some 1024x64 textures that the voodoo5 would not support as every hardware has its limitations, for instance, some older graphic cards could only use squares as textures, that is, if you had to use a 256x128 texture it would fill the memory of a 256x256 (1:1 aspect ratio)...

I can't tell much about voodoo5 as i dont really know it but i'd agree with BlackDog that it is quite outdated now and i would add that OFP deserves T&L smile_o.gif

Voodoo cards only support maximum texture aspect ratio of 1:8, while other cards support max ratios of 256 to 4096.

We are trying to find which addon has this 1024x64 texture, we found couple of textures with invalid aspect ratio from Leopard but they were only 8x256. Any information would be very helpful.

Excellent mod FDF guys, hope yr very proud of it.

1 thing i noticed, if it hasnt been mentioned already, is that the driver has to reload the MG mounted on the 6wheeler Patria(sp). it was pretty difficult in mp to keep telling the driver to reload it for me. as gunner theres no entry in the action menu.

Anyone make it through the Furious Bear SP mission? The one on winter Nogojev, where you start off commanding an ill-equipped team?

I mean there you are, toting rifles and not much more, trying to take out the base at the 1st objective, when these BMPs and T72s show up uninvited!

yes

the gear section is always empty so you cant equip your team properly.

There should have been a mission that utilised the tripod and gun capabilties.

Anyone make it through the Furious Bear SP mission? The one on winter Nogojev, where you start off commanding an ill-equipped team?

I mean there you are, toting rifles and not much more, trying to take out the base at the 1st objective, when these BMPs and T72s show up uninvited!

Yeah all there missions are hard! The furious bear one especially. First I take out the T-72 w BMP's, with no loss. Then take 1st Obj with no losses. then the hind comes and slays me. And the shilka, which I just cant get close enough to...

You know there are satchels at the house you start at eh wink_o.gif

And if you let the infantry out of the BMP before you detonate the charges you can equip with there stuff.

But i have given up on this mission...

Run Away! Run Away! tounge_o.gif

No doubt those sp-missions are hard, most of them are remade mp-missions. They are a little easier with group of well-trained human players in mp. But just a little. smile_o.gif

No doubt those sp-missions are hard, most of them are remade mp-missions. They are a little easier with group of well-trained human players in mp. But just a little. smile_o.gif

Well then maybe this is as good a time as any to ask for the SP missions to be modified just a little to make them a bit more playable.

Improve player weapons inventory, a tank or two less here and there, etc.

Indeed, all of the missions are very hard. It's fun in the beginning, because a real chalange always is, but it becomes quite enoying after a while, because you always die at the same points.

Yeah I actually finished that mission with only one other man left. That's the winter mission right? At that first town it was really scary seeing those tanks appear especially the last T-72 that came roaring up out of nowhere. It felt like a scene from a WWII battle as everyone was running for cover. Fortunately a brave AT soldier took out the T-72.

But that first battle for that town was a really tough battle. All the AI support troops I think all got killed on that one or they just ran away. At the end of the first battle I just saw one guy from another squad down on the far side of town away from the direction the enemy reinforcements were attacking from. But he never moved so there was no help when it came to destroying that hilltop radio tower full of those damn Spetsnaz. They took out what remained of my team except for one guy. It was really viscious close quarters fighting up there. I had to use the savegame cheat on that one. On that one, hand grenades are your best friend. smile_o.gif

Finally after the tower was taken and the MG destroyed, we went off to intercept that convoy attacking our outpost. But I waited and waited at the ambush position (after sticking a landmine on the road) and nobody showed up. So when I went to the base it was attacking I found friendly soldiers guarding the base and then a URAL full of Russian troops behind it.

The troops hadn't even disembarked. So I used a LAW rocket I had picked up and blew the truck up. But the mission never ended because I guess the triggers were not set off appropriately. So basically this mission was NOT very well tested. The cutscenes were great and all but it really needs work on the triggers. For example at the radio tower, the AI leader doesn't move unless the MG is destroyed. Yet the message telling you to go to the next objective IS triggered when all the enemy Ai soldiers are killed. So the triggers and what waypoints they are synced to don't match up.

But no biggie... I just eneded the mission myself and hopefully didn't miss any cool cutscene endings. Aside from those problems the mission is alot of fun especially during that first assault that starts off with the mortar barrage. That part felt very realistic and really added to the atmosphere. I'll have to De-PBO that mission to see if I can fix it and to learn how they did that mortar script and whether it used the mortar addons for that.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

theres a mission with a sniper hiding (i wont say which one tounge_o.gif ) in a church tower,funnily enough u cant climb the stairs to that tower... sad_o.gif

I love the new sounds of that mod!

especially the sound of thunder in bad weather and all the explosions....

Great job!

You changed some of the original campaign units (like the new grenades for the grenadier) could you also change this damn M2east to one of your nice east guns?? Or give the MGJeep an iron sights view? I do not know if it is possible but if it is you would pretty much complete the great patchwork BIS did before!

The new finish sound files are although great!! I wish Bis had done this to the Russian units too. At least you proofed that it is possible!

First: Big congrats, this is realy great work!

Some things that caught my eye.

Im not sure if it's the skill adjustment for the ai's in the SP missions but in one of these a comrade sniper didn't target by my order but engaged to get closer and this was at somewhere between 400 - 500 meters. I think that an AI-sniper should actually shoot at this distance and not go closer (especially when orderd to do so).

Maybe you might checkout the finish snipers engagement range in the .cpp.

Machinegunners:

As in OFP machine gunners hava a bigger engagement range which is ok for me because a real life MG can be more accurate (with single shots that is) than an assault rifle or give some suppression fire. BUT then they should at least have much higher dispersion through recoil or something. This again isn't practical so maybe it would make sense to either reduce range or reduce "mid-" and "maxRangeProba=" to something more apropriate. Now a mgunner is almost the same threat as a sniper on a long distance.

Next thing which I would almost call a bug is when you order your team mates to man a ZSU the other guys will shoot on it. I also got killed by my team mates when I maned it myself as a gunner which was not so funny at this stage of mission.

I think it might have something to do with the radar/enemy detection settings for the ZSU in the config.

This problem is also apparent in non-FDF ZSU's.

@Bonko the Sane

OH GOD, again snipers in churchtowers! Snipers don't do this anymore since the bloody first world war. This sort of sniper position is SO well known and asumed. And still I have to get pissed off in every damn pc-game (rainbow six, ofp, you name them...) and every damn war movie (private ryan, etc....) with it. Church towers are COMPLETLY unsuitable sniper positions because there's only one exit, because every one knows, because it's easy to target....

well, just ranting don't take it personal   wink_o.gif

I think with the machine gunners it is accurate that they engage at long range. They are not more accurate then rifles however they usually use longer range ammunition (like the M60, M240, PK, NSV, M2, ect... MG's) and can saturate an area with bullets in a way that rifles can not. I think what would be more accurate is to give machine guns a higher dispersion value. At any rate, in real life I was able to easily hit targets at 600 meters with a M60 (similar to a FNMag/ M240/GPMG) machine gun while doing 4-6 round bursts in the prone position (laying down). In that position your body absorbs most of the recoil and because the weapon is so heavy, there is very little muzzle rise so it's easier to keep the weapon sights on target. The M249 in contrast with it's smaller ammunition and lighterweight shakes around like a bumble bee if you don't lean into the weapon very hard as you fire. It also doesn't have the same range as the larger machine guns.

At any rate, I think that slightly higher disperal on the bullets would be the most realistic way to go for the belt-fed machine guns.

The larger .50 cal machine guns have a lot of recoil but are very heavy and fairly accurate on tripods or vehicle mounts especially for short bursts or controlled long bursts during suppressive fire. They also got brighter tracer fire and a big bass heavy sound that is very satisfying. I wish those two things could be improved on the larger machine guns. In the U.S. Army there is the old saying about the M2, "When Ma Deuce talks, people listen."

smile_o.gif

As for the snipers, I agree... bell towers are the first place counter-snipers will look for to see if some novice sniper tries to use them. However often well sand-bagged roof tops are used as they are more difficult to put effective suppressive fire on. Also a sniper needs a quick escape route so that if the enemy is coming in close, they get trapped on a roof and can quickly move to an other firing position. Very often snipers will also choose a well concealed ground level position such as an area with a clear view down a street (an enemy avenue of approach) with a trench to conceal a retreat from that position. But overall a lot depends on the tactical situation. If the enemy doesn't have many snipers, they may try to get off a few rounds even from a bell tower and then quickly get down before enemy artillery or direct fire destroys the tower position.

The bottom line is that normally a sniper has multiple firing positions and different tactics for different situations. After firing they usually don't stick around unless they know they are very secure in their position with little chance of counter-sniper return fire or return fire from heavy machine guns and tank guns. For example in the middle of a battle, nobody would probably even notice or hear the sniper's gun shots in the midst of a heated exchange of machine gun fire. Those near the victims of a sniper during such a battle probably would think that it was just a random bullet that hit the victim. Even if they heard that single shot they may not have time to figure zero in on the sniper's position because they're too busy trying not to get killed by enemy machine gunners and regular riflemen. All they can do is move to a safer position and not get pinned down.

In OFP I've had situations like this where I hear the SVD firing at me and my men, but I'm too busy worrying about not getting killed by the regular infantry and tanks. This is where, in my opinion, snipers are most deadly in OFP. While making missions in the mission editor, it's also fun to use the SetPos command to stick a sniper in a building (near a open window) after the town is supposed to be clear of the enemy. It really scares the hell out of people when suddenly the sniper opens up on them just when they thought it was safe. Hehehehe.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

@ Miles Teg

Very well said! I fully agree with you. I actually stated that a machine gun CAN be more accurate than an assault rifle. With this I didn't mean that any MG can be more accurate under certain conditions but that there is certain MGs that ARE more accurate than most assault rifles. No, I won't list them up to start a whole new discussion about it but I name just one recent example: The H-K MG 36 (LMG 36) which is a variant of the G36 but with a thicker barrel (as used on the H-K SL 8 civilian sporting rifle). Further there are other nice products (MGs that is) by H-K that in deed have higher accuracy than ARs. The general accuracy pushing advantage MG's have is a longer barrel and a longer aiming line (distance between front and rear sight). Of coarse all this references on single shots.

This is what makes me uncertain about increasing dispersion to MGs in OFP because it would be all right with AI behavior but not with me using a MG in the game. I usually don't even try to spray fire on targets beyond 300m but go for single shots and THEN the MG should be at least as accurate as an AR.

Prolly this is almost the same issue like having a higher dispersion setting for auto then for single in the .cpp for one rifle, which I find to be stupid as you CAN fire single shots in full auto mode and these shots shouldn't be more inaccurate!

cheers