Jump to content
klamacz

AI Driving - Feedback topic

Recommended Posts

we'll see after the patch on 11th April, but probably boats will still be oblivious to something called 'going backwards'. Now, if the devs don't take or have the time to add this little thing that every other arma 3 vehicle is capable of since launch in 2013, why would they have the resources to work on something bigger like proper path finding and object avoidance on land!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, xon2 said:

we'll see after the patch on 11th April, but probably boats will still be oblivious to something called 'going backwards'. Now, if the devs don't take or have the time to add this little thing that every other arma 3 vehicle is capable of since launch in 2013, why would they have the resources to work on something bigger like proper path finding and object avoidance on land!

 

IMO vehicle pathfinding on roads should be prioritized above boat AI and other AI fixes.

 

example, this is not acceptable

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you are absolutlely correct; what i mean is, this little thing about the boats missing for four years shows that the lights in the AI department have been pretty much out for a very long time. You simply can't use boats in a mission for dropping off and picking up troops on the beach if u don't drive them yourself. I can't believe it would take one dev more than 1-2 days to add this functionality. Still here we are. And getting convoys to do their thing in cluttered urban terrain would probably take much longer to code in a proper way. Alas, if there ain't time to fix small things, probably there ain't resources to tackle the elephant in the room.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, fn_Quiksilver said:

 

IMO vehicle pathfinding on roads should be prioritized above boat AI and other AI fixes.

 

example, this is not acceptable

 

 

 

I have paid attention to a problem in a point of change of a route too. Almost always there is a problem when the line of a route to the following traveling point concerning the line of a route before turn, creates a route bend angle within 0-90 or 270-0 degrees.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, the Devs really need to take a look at AI driving, and maybe even revert it to pre-Tanks levels, because I was trying out tacops Stepping Stone on Dev (I always find playing an 'old' campaign a good way to evaluate the effect of a new set of updates in the wild) and the infantry branch of Disintegration Point is hopeless due to the Panther you're supposed to RV with deciding that it'd rather go for a swim in that lovely Malden Sea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another issue with AI driving.

An AI group occupying a vehicle will only move to waypoints (either editor-placed or Zeus) if the team leader is in the second seat. Team leader in driver seat or any other seat for the matter does prevent the AI for moving. 

Feedback tracker: https://feedback.bistudio.com/T127995 (includes repro)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23.03.2018 at 10:13 AM, xon2 said:

I can't believe it would take one dev more than 1-2 days to add this functionality. 

I can. Your "simple" attempt to add it would likely end up breaking the whole AI for a reason that would take a month to track down and another month to fix. And then somebody else would make a change in armor code and they'd have to do it all over again, because the armor change broke it for some mysterious reason. We're talking about OFP-era code that's already been patched multiple times by a whole lot of people, and this is a typical result of such lengthy development.

 

They should focus on making driving work, as though as it might be. Boats are a much less integral part of the gameplay than that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just had an idea (tell me if this was said before) why not make infantry invincible to neutral and friendly controlled AI vehicles, so if the infantry is struck with a vehicle they can just faze through or get pushed with or around the vehicle. This can ease the pain of mechanised infantry scenarios. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, B_Fox said:

I just had an idea (tell me if this was said before) why not make infantry invincible to neutral and friendly controlled AI vehicles, so if the infantry is struck with a vehicle they can just faze through or get pushed with or around the vehicle. This can ease the pain of mechanised infantry scenarios. 

 

odd hack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/28/2018 at 7:23 PM, The Man Without Qualities said:

 

odd hack

@B_Fox idea is actually a good compromise compared with the Carmageddon we have since OFP where a team gets run over in 99.9% cases in a city in mech missions.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5.4.2018 at 10:59 AM, krycek said:

@B_Fox idea is actually a good compromise compared with the Carmageddon we have since OFP where a team gets run over in 99.9% cases in a city in mech missions.

 

Problem with such hacks are the other side effects:

 

- performance impact (need to check on every collision if damage must be applied or not based on unit faction of both patricipants)

- lower simulation level (accidential road kill impossible etc)

- mission impact (sometimes it must be possible to kill a friendly unit by overrun)

 

That's why I do not like such workarounds.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Man Without Qualities said:

Problem with such hacks are the other side effects:

 

- performance impact (need to check on every collision if damage must be applied or not based on unit faction of both patricipants)

- lower simulation level (accidential road kill impossible etc)

- mission impact (sometimes it must be possible to kill a friendly unit by overrun)

 

That's why I do not like such workarounds.

Accidental road kill is what I'm trying to prevent, but in the case that you want to kill a friendly unit by running them over it can enable that via a script which disables the vehicles protective bubble. Do you have any suggestion on solving this problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a script I made a while ago to prevent friendlies driving over friendlies to death:

private _unit = _this select 0; //: Object - Object the event handler is assigned to.
private _source = _this select 3; //: Object - The source unit that caused the damage.
private _instigator = _this select 6; //: Object - Person who pulled the trigger

if ((side _source == side _unit) && /*(_projectile == "") &&*/ (isNull _instigator)) then
{
	0
};

Add it to the "HandleDamage" event handler with addEventHandler of the unit you want to protect from vehicle collision dammage.

Now, if you do want a specific soldier to be killed with a vehicle... just don't give him this event handler, or remove it from him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is anybody else noticing that vehicles in AI convoys seem to just stop at random times? I am playing Vanilla at present and am testing out simple convoys of three AI controlled vehicles, with myself in the rearmost as a gunner or passenger to observe things, but I am noticing that now, one vehicle in the convoy, usually the second will just suddenly stop at random (or at least without a discernible reason to me), causing every other vehicle behind it to stop as well. 

 

I'm running the convoy in a fairly simple way, three vehicles and their crews in one large group (six to nine units), set to COLUMN or FILE formation and on the SAFE behaviour setting and I've tried variations on route, road type and the amount of waypoints used. Sometimes they seem to stop when a waypoint completes (as they have on my most recent test) but sometimes, two vehicles will pass a given point and then the third will suddenly hit the breaks.

 

Is anybody else seeing the same thing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, [VW]Wrath said:

Is anybody else noticing that vehicles in AI convoys seem to just stop at random times? 

Sometimes, drivers are overwhelmed by their inability to drive normally, so they temporarily stop to break down and cry. Some of the more experienced AI take regular brakes to think of the road ahead of them and plan their route carefully, even if it's just a straight piece of road. Finally, a high percentage of Arma 3 AI drivers are unfortunately alcoholic. One of the biggest reasons for rampant alcoholism among Arma 3 drivers is the existentialist realization that they are just a crappy driver, and not a specops marine with their own campaign. Arma 3 tries to counter this by requiring regular mandatory stops for drivers where they have to clear a breathalizer test that is part of the vehicle. If they don't pass the test, the car won't continue. I hope this anwers your question.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2018 at 7:52 PM, [VW]Wrath said:

Is anybody else noticing that vehicles in AI convoys seem to just stop at random times?

 

I'm having trouble getting them to drive in the right direction in the first place...

 

Cheers

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

 

I'm having trouble getting them to drive in the right direction in the first place...

 

Cheers

 

Did you set them to "Safe" and "Column"? That will definitely help.

Also pull the apart more, since the Quad bike has a high acceleration, they tend to drive into each other at the start.

 

EDIT: Just tried it, and if you set them to Column and then"Transform -> Move to Formation", they get it on reasonably well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×