Sign in to follow this  
maddogx

Campaign Episode 1: SURVIVE - Feedback thread ** SPOILER WARNING! **

The realism

I can understand for the sake of creativity and gaming experience, shots fired dont get heard by enemies that are standing farther away than 100 meters. But what I cannot understand for the sake of gaming experience or realism for that matter is why the commander in chief is making such unorthodox and strange non-military decisions on what the next ops are. What the hell is Delta doing for example? doesnt get explained throughout the story. Why the hell is there no recon or base detail explained more trhoughly? Why does it take over a day for AAF search groups with their equipment to find 20 US/UK / NATO survivors on an island thats not even over 25km2 big? Doesn't add up to the realism. No checkpoints, search groups, attacks, no not until the FIA ammo mission does Nato get attacked by AAF shells / bombardment. And even after that, No AAF infantry sweeps / search groups after the shelling / bombardment. Seriously? It just doesnt add up. i've been ex-military for 6 years now and from my real world operational experience it makes absolutely no sense. Even not for the sake of storytelling or game action. I strongly doubt that a military strategist or expert has been consulted for the story of this campaign. You can't sell this to me and I bet there are a lot of army vets out there that would agree with me on this. Heck, I would gladly hire myself out to you guys for free to polish this thing up and make it more plausible. After all, its a miliraty simulator, but the story doesnt feel much like simulation. Then again, might be the designers choice?

The base not being attacked until mission 5 or something also bothered me at first. But then i remembered that it all takes place in a single day, most of which your force spends fighting elsewhere on the island. To the AAF forces it wouldnt look like you actually set up camp there, since there wasnt anyone there for most of the day. As for why Miller decided to hang out there instead of hiding in the woods i dont know. Maybe he believed in the magic of entrenching, since he told us to do that every single mission. :p

As for making us have questions and not answering them yet: No problem with that. They will probably be answered in the next episode, then in the final episode we will take care of.. Everything?

The base not being attacked until mission 5 or something also bothered me at first. But then i remembered that it all takes place in a single day, most of which your force spends fighting elsewhere on the island. To the AAF forces it wouldnt look like you actually set up camp there, since there wasnt anyone there for most of the day. As for why Miller decided to hang out there instead of hiding in the woods i dont know. Maybe he believed in the magic of entrenching, since he told us to do that every single mission. :p

As for making us have questions and not answering them yet: No problem with that. They will probably be answered in the next episode, then in the final episode we will take care of.. Everything?

Miller didn't sound like a 40-year old either nor did he act like an officer (speaking of which, he's a bit old to be a captain, being born in '92 and all)

One thing - more gameplay than campaign though:

40mm grenades are way too weak.

They don't have enough damage power.

Same for bullets, I need 4 or 5 to kill an enemy - they don't see to be much hurt when hit.

Everything runs smoothly so far. But yes the sounds volume levels are weird ...really weird. Please BIS, put a guy on your sound engine for few days. I would say that it is one of the last really annoying things. It will be a good investment :)

Localization problems: PT-BR, just one of the quotes on the start of the missions is translated, the rest is in english.

Radio Silence:

could have a save point once you cap Mike 26.

Defense towers are priority because AI can deal with them? lol

Support symbol stays on even when they're out of rounds.

Liked the overall atmosphere and the feeling of being hunted and outnumbered all the time. This episode had some well thought out and immersive missions. I'm also somewhat teased and interested in the story now and what's going to happen in the next episodes. But the AI doesn't exactly shine in this episode and I had very little fun during most firefights. Hope this will be better in the open terrain of Altis...

Haven't had many issues so far: just a couple of triggers not firing properly that have already been mentioned earlier.

Tipping Point mortars have also been mentioned again, but it's worth repeating that said section is frustrating to play through: after multiple (failed) attempts I think that there are actual mortars aiming at the squad instead of having fixed scripted explosions. Can anyone confirm this?

Edited by Lazyman

I have completed the campaign, and I have to talk about some irrational aspects which are all about military rule.

First is, light discipline, or black-out.

When driving to MIKE 26 I see the light of MRAP is turned on, which is a stupid action during the hot zone especially you are heading to enemy base. Shouldn't enemy have observer too? Then you are revealed miles away. The light in Maxwell is stupid too so no doubt it will be bombed.

Second is, Driving from the south to the north to start a mission like in

tipping point? If you can drive so far, why you have to across the forest?

Third is, at the end, why MI-48 doesn't make a CAS but is like a decoration?

one round of cannon the whole team can see the god, but it only flied in circle. And why the choppers don't attack the two boats?

I understank something is a story needed, but please make things rational first.

Edited by msy

after multiple (failed) attempts I think that there are actual mortars aiming at the squad instead of having fixed scripted explosions. Can anyone confirm this?

Well yeah, it's a physical mortar unit providing the support.

Bug:

When i save the campaign (not reload!!), in the next instant, Adams is renamed Roberts, standing and waiting for my orders. I´m Number two in team, Adams (Roberts) is Number one appears as a team leader!? The scripts and trigger no longer work.

Edited by Blackland

Well yeah, it's a physical mortar unit providing the support.

Thought as much.

I would suggest that BI just uses scripted explosions or spawned mortar shells at fixed locations instead of handing a mortar to the AI: they are insanely good at leading, and even a close hit or two are more than enough to kill.

Ive started playing and realize that there is an issue with the audio when it is in 7.1 surround. The only time it happens is when there is someone talking directly to your character (not radio). if you turn your head to the right just a little it gets louder (about 1-3 o'clock in relation to who is talking), and when your look back and to the left (about 7-9 o'clock or so). When facing any other direction I can barely hear what the person is saying even with my audio all the way up. double checked windows settings and every thing checks out on that end.

Other than that SUPER AWESOME!!! Great job setting up the firefights.

Surprisingly I'm almost done the entire thing within 2-3 hours of play. Other than feeling ripped off for waiting this long for only an addition couple hours of gameplay, the actual action was satifying and the AI was setup to act very intelligently. It was refreshing.

The only bugs to speak of is you cannot hear people talking straight on, you have to turn your head to listen with one ear. The voices are very low with all settings at max except music. I use turtle beach surround sound headphones. Just seems like there is no center speaker for voices like there usually is. But left right works.

Thought as much.

I would suggest that BI just uses scripted explosions or spawned mortar shells at fixed locations instead of handing a mortar to the AI: they are insanely good at leading, and even a close hit or two are more than enough to kill.

In response to your guys' feedback, the mechanics of this particular mortar sequence have been revised. You should see it in the next dev branch update.

One thing - more gameplay than campaign though:

40mm grenades are way too weak.

They don't have enough damage power.

Same for bullets, I need 4 or 5 to kill an enemy - they don't see to be much hurt when hit.

I second this.

The AI doesn´t seem to suffer any precision penaltys when wounded.

The current weapon sway is still over the top wich makes the AI much more precise than me (wich maybe wouldn´t be a problem if we had weapon rest as a feature).

I wish I could hold my breath longer.

I find it very.. lame.. that the "Death Valley" mission is 95% similar to the infantry showcase.

aw man, really? That's cheap.

How long does it take to complete the whole episode?

I'm having a weird issue with gearing up at the beginning of mission "Maxwell". The part after the briefing when you are re arming. I started mission with an Independent auto rifle that I took in the previous mission. When I start arming I find I now have a GL rifle The first ammo box has only rifles. It has a mx and mxc. It also has my stolen autorifle. I take the auto rifle then waste some time looking around. So I now restart the mission in order to be quicker now that I know whats in everything. So here's the problem:

The first start ( before any saves or restart) The table in front of me has 3 (or 4) rifles on it. The ammo box has 3 or 4 types of rifles. One of those is my auto rifle.

The first time I restart, the table in front of me has one less rifle. The ammo box no longer has my auto rifle in it. So I restart again.

The second restart gets worse. Now there are NO rifles in the ammo box. It's completely empty.

I exited to the main start screen and go back to campaign and revert to restart the Maxwell mission. But nothing changed. The ammo box remains empty.

Episode is too short. I expected 6-8 hours , not 1-3

For anyone having issues with the game CTDing when selecting the campaign, run CBA. When I run CBA, I can play it just fine.

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned, but the first time you're in Camp Maxwell and right before you meet Cpt. Miller, Corporal Kerry is saluted by another solder (this is the soldier that tells Kerry to check in with Miller). I'm sure you all know this, but you don't salute a "corporal" and you don't salute in a combat zone....snipers look for that stuff. Maybe this can be changed before the Halloween release. :p

I'm past the Helo part.....and so far it is great.

Carry on.

HighPlainzDrfter

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 PM ----------

Episode is too short. I expected 6-8 hours , not 1-3

It will probably take me 10 hours to complete it. lol. Some people are "Aces" at this stuff...... while others are "Methodical" and "Slow."

In response to your guys' feedback, the mechanics of this particular mortar sequence have been revised. You should see it in the next dev branch update.

Great to hear. Looking forward to how the sequence is going to play out.

I find it very.. lame.. that the "Death Valley" mission is 95% similar to the infantry showcase.

Honestly, I liked it. It's the perfect showcase mission for infantry play. But despite the fact that it's nearly the same mission, it seemed to me to play quite a bit smoother and actually added context to a story that you didn't know. Not using the mission in the campaign would have been a waste. By far one of my favorite.

It's not the first time in the history series that a sp mission/showcase comes from a campaign mission, it happened a few times.

Only this time, because we played the showcases first, we have the impression the campaign mission came from the showcase. It's the same, in the end.