Sign in to follow this  
Tyl3r99

Disapointed with the full release content

This is what happens when BIS developers talk to the community I guess, the things they said they would like to do get seen as promises. I have no trouble at all understanding why games are made in isolation from the communities :)

No, this is what happens when developers say things like this:

Take On helicopter flighmodel WILL BE also in Arma3. Now I can safely confirm it will be also in campaing and it will be DEFAULT flightmodel for ALL the helicopters.

No, this is what happens when developers say things like this: Take On helicopter flighmodel WILL BE also in Arma3. Now I can safely confirm it will be also in campaing and it will be DEFAULT flightmodel for ALL the helicopters.

English is not my mother tongue, but I'm going to dare to give you some insight about the future tense ( any english teacher please correct me if I'm wrong ).

But as far as I know, the simple future WILL is used for predictions / possibilities, something you are not sure of. For constant facts you use present simple and for plans and so on: going to.

Anyway, as far as I remember, it was not in the buying conditions when I bought it through Steam.

No, this is what happens when developers say things like this:

Oh yes, he didn't say "I promise" so we're really stupid to take that as a promise.

The only thing I am really missing are the searchlights. Would be nice to spawn those in camps to spot units from dark. Also to have spotlights in choppers. If someone knows how to create spotlight lightsource as seen earlier in the ArmA3 lighthing video, please show me the way. :)

But as far as I know, the simple future WILL is used for predictions / possibilities, something you are not sure of. For constant facts you use present simple and for plans and so on: going to.

How about the part "I can safely confirm"..? ;)

English is not my mother tongue, but I'm going to dare to give you some insight about the future tense ( any english teacher please correct me if I'm wrong ).

Anyway, as far as I remember, it was not in the buying conditions when I bought it through Steam.

Well English is my mother tongue, so let me say this: WILL BE isn't MAY BE... Will be isn't a possibility. It's a plan. May be is a possibility. So Gekkibi's point is valid.

How about the part "I can safely confirm"..? ;)

Damu was the former Development Lead. He is no longer with the company.

I know because his title is "former developer". But that doesn't change the fact that a developer said what he said. It doesn't mysteriously nullify everything he has said on the forums even if he's not going to be on BIS payroll forever. After that post I didn't hear anyone say "oh wait, we're not going to implement it!", until it was already too late.

Well I guess that does change the situation a little. Different leads means different plans, so I guess his plans and planned features left with him. For all the complaints, there needs to be one thread or one medium or whatever for people to simply post their complaints (same as negative feedback/criticism/whatever you want to call it. It's no different. Go look it up if you don't believe me). Not rebuttals by those who have no problems. No 3rd party clarifications. Not bug reports (feedback tracker is only a bug feedback tracker). Just criticisms. If this was so, then you might not have all these threads. Anyway, I guess when they said that anything from before the whole Greek prison thing, and definitely before E32012, was not guaranteed, they really meant it. For me, then, I guess I understand that. Again, different leads means different direction, different plans, etc. And so the point isn't valid because Damu isn't here anymore to follow through on that. Still doesn't negate the whole stuff coded in that wasn't finished.... But, that really isn't a big thing, since I want performance improvements (i.e, things that will help improve performance) more than anything else. Honestly, there's really no point to continuing this thread as it's just going back and forth. We just need some official dedicated thread or form to post any concerns about the direction and or features in the game, as in not bugs. That would free up the forums from all of these disappointment threads.

But as far as I know, the simple future WILL is used for predictions / possibilities, something you are not sure of.

no, "will" implies it is inevitable, unless it's qualified with a statement of probability. ie: "tomorrow will be saturday", vs "tomorrow will probably be sunny"

no, "will" implies it is inevitable, unless it's qualified with a statement of probability. ie: "tomorrow will be saturday", vs "tomorrow will probably be sunny"

Interesting, good clarification. Thank you very much :)

Well I guess that does change the situation a little. Different leads means different plans, so I guess his plans and planned features left with him.
Anyway, I guess when they said that anything from before the whole Greek prison thing, and definitely before E32012, was not guaranteed, they really meant it. For me, then, I guess I understand that. Again, different leads means different direction, different plans, etc. And so the point isn't valid because Damu isn't here anymore to follow through on that.
That's pretty much what I assumed to happen once DnA and RiE started talking about the differing directions in Arma 3's development history.

For all the complaints, there needs to be one thread or one medium or whatever for people to simply post their complaints (same as negative feedback/criticism/whatever you want to call it. (...) Not rebuttals by those who have no problems. No 3rd party clarifications. Not bug reports (feedback tracker is only a bug feedback tracker). Just criticisms. (...) That would free up the forums from all of these disappointment threads.

In a way some members are favouring this thread for their criticisms. I disagree with the suggestion, not if in replacement of healthy discussion that can still happen here. If one isolates the criticisms from "rebuttals" one artificially limits their potential for being valid and accepted as such. The process is forcefully dialectical if it is to bring fruition.

As it happens there is various levels of disappointment/enjoyment and manners with which to deal with it, the limits should be imposed on the manners not on the object of disagreement. I strongly agree with some of the criticisms despite my fanboyism cloak.

I am having the impression, the more i think about it, that the axed feature and, in conclusion, the state of the art of the game - which left some users disappointed about the content realesed - was'nt really a choice for Devs but result of change of people working on the project.

In my opinion, when someone express his/her critics should really consider this.

One last thing.

Arma III for the user or the consumer it's just a game: nothing more, nothing less (for me, at least, it is). At the opposite, for a Dev Arma is it's his own work and, most probably, of it's his own life.

When you want to express your critics thinks twice about that

:)

Arma III for the user or the consumer it's just a game: nothing more, nothing less (for me, at least, it is). At the opposite, for a Dev Arma is it's his own work and, most probably, of it's his own life.

Couldn't agree more. Well said.

That's pretty much what I assumed to happen once DnA and RiE started talking about the differing directions in Arma 3's development history.

Yeah and they couldn't go "Hey scrap Arma 3, we are going straight for Arma 4 and this is what it will feature:..".

Things got mixed in this confusion and information wasn't clear both for users and probably for the Devs too, they were more like "let's see where this is goes".

2012 didn't went well for BI, and as I said before, could be one of those "reality TV" shows. :D

I'm just waiting to see how much content/how many features we get post-release in the form of FREE patches. That will make or break this title for me (though I'm sure the community will do it justice, I'm sick of having to download 20 mods to get the game to the level it should have been in the first place).

I'm just waiting to see how much content/how many features we get post-release in the form of FREE patches. That will make or break this title for me (though I'm sure the community will do it justice, I'm sick of having to download 20 mods to get the game to the level it should have been in the first place).

Charging for mods?

"I think the next big thing could be opening up Arma 3 to paid user-made content. It’s great to see talented mod-makers pulling off amazing missions, add-ons and mods as free content, but if we manage to find some incentive for the best mod-makers to develop more content, I think we can raise the bar even higher. I want to push this effort in two distinct ways, and I consider these as a priority for next year. We are going to announce more specific details in the coming months."

Hi.

With this news about BIS changing their stance on paid-for-mods, chances are those 20 mods will cost a lot.

Don't get me wrong, well made mods take a LOT of time/work/effort to make, and top-notch modders deserve the money, but the amount of stuff to make this game as interesting as its predecessors may possibly cost a small fortune.

p.s. Please no flaming from the all mighty defenders, as much as I would like to bitch and moan about spending my money on Arma3, I will not. :o

Charging for mods?

"I think the next big thing could be opening up Arma 3 to paid user-made content. It’s great to see talented mod-makers pulling off amazing missions, add-ons and mods as free content, but if we manage to find some incentive for the best mod-makers to develop more content, I think we can raise the bar even higher. I want to push this effort in two distinct ways, and I consider these as a priority for next year. We are going to announce more specific details in the coming months."

I think they mean someone from the community would make a model, textures and config (i.e. a finished mod) and then BIS would sell it as DLC.

Faith in BIS-lost.

Edited by ADUILO

A concept I have considered decent enough before. I wouldnt object to paying very little for a mod I appreciated, I think the biggest problem would of course be copyright infringement issues with intellectual property.

But even if you never got rich from a mod, you could atleast buy your spouse a bunch of flowers to try and compensate for the neglect caused during creating it.

I think they mean someone from the community would make a model, textures and config (i.e. a finished mod) and then BIS would sell it as DLC.

Faith in BIS-lost.

Yes!!!!

Charging for mods?

I don't know what kinda drugs MAREK SPANEL (even along the lines of Arma meets aliens) is taken to get that high, but if they charge money for mods...its going to be the end of a good company...But i am sure the good modders wont let this happen!

Faith in BIS-lost.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but this has been happening for quite some time already. To give you some examples: ka52 from A2, bradley from OA, SCARs from OA, BAF units and some of the gear and vehicle (DLC), some of the ACR units, and so on and so forth, and not to forget a lot of the clothing and weapons in DayZ standalone were developed exactly the same way.

I don't see it as a problem, especially when we can't talk about individual files, but rather complete content packs (infantry, vehicles + island) for a specific country, etc.

I've been playing since OFP days, as many, many others here on the forums have. I've also tried to defend BIS when people come out and complain about them on different topics. But, in this latest turn of events, (the idea of charging for content), I've about had enough. I agree with Grillob3 here, what is Spanel doing over there at BIS?

For years, we've all watched the amazing features VBS versions have (shooting from vehicles, moving on ships as they're moving, ropes that contour along objects like in real life, realistic towing of other vehicles, etc., etc.). We sit back, and hope that other, more talented addon makers will develop those same features and release them for us to use in the regular ArmA series and I for one am very gracious that these people do it for free, on their own time to improve the game. Now, we are being informed that we MAY/MAY NOT be having to pay for these new content addons?

Don't get me wrong, I know it takes great time and effort to produce even the smallest game improvement mod, but I thought we were all trying to create content because of the fact of improving the areas of the game that the Devs didn't want to or didn't know how to. It's like BIS developers took our money during the Alpha and Beta periods, and used it to finish off ToM, or ToH, and things like that, and just said, "the hell with A3....give them what we already have done."

I'm very disappointed with the whole direction BIS developers have decided to take on A3. I hope that addon makers get the credit they deserve, and if that is in the form of monetary compensation for their time and efforts, then so be it, but I don't think it's in the best interest of the community nor the game itself to start heading down that track of thought. I always brag to friends about how great this community is, how awesome the game itself WAS, and got many people to buy a legal copy of their own. I even wanted to work for BIS in the future, but now I just feel let down.

Just my two cents.