Sign in to follow this  
Tyl3r99

Disapointed with the full release content

As much as I appreciate and like the advancement in AI, writing a guide about them is like trying to coordinate a stadium full of drunk schizophrenics to do the wave on cue.

Be that as it may, the guide's tactics and protocol section is all but irrelevant in almost any PvE or PvP situation you might find yourself in the actual game. First and foremost it's a guide for a non-existing, idealized version of Arma 3. The early explanation of the basics is commendable, but something that REALLY should be available for absolutely everyone to read in the game's own manual.

Edited by Celery

After slogging through this god awful mess of an engine, I'm beginning to think its just had it. They've beat the old horse to death :o:. What have the developers been doing all these years? Its like they just threw what they could together in one last desperate push to get some money in. The 32 bit game looks like it was made for late 90's gaming computers. My laptop I use for word processing and excel would laugh at those ancient machines. Hardware has moved on, and game software needs to catch up.

I've tried 2 showcases of the full release - the tank and the gunship. Both seem very buggy. (I'd played some of the others showcases in Beta and they were OK). The tank commander seemed to fall asleep and stop interacting with anyone after we entered the village. Drove around for a while, nothing going on. Next was the Helicopter gunship mission. Destroyed the base, did the Search and Destroy and then did the rescue. Shot up hostiles around the hilltop rescue location. No contact with "Viper", the rescue callsign. Finally, with no contact - friendly or hostile - landed at the location, a group of several troopers boards the chopper (meanwhile hostiles are walking all around the helicopter with no attempt to stop me). Flew around and around waiting for further orders and checking for hostile targets - nothing. Not sure what else I had to do or if there were any more tasks. After a bunch of flying around and no further information, I quit mission.

there who talk this 32 vs 64bit ... completely ignore the fact of engine being able use since 2008 the so called memory w/o addresss indirectly

http://www.bistudio.com/english/company/developers-blog/85-breaking-the-32-bit-barrier

got 8-32GB of memory ? do some extensive flying around altis with tons of units and objects and AI

check the overall commit of used memory, not just Arma 3's direct memory (which willbe between 2.0 and 2.6GB with -maxmem=2047)

all of sudden you realize there is used additional 2-6GB memory 'somewhere' ;)

direct 4GB of LAA (2GB maxmem+dynamic allocs/caches/libraries etc.)+ indirect ? MB/GB ...

p.s. there is indication that some users w/o pagefile (swap) get Arma 3 performance troubles

and when they add 4-16GB swap file it's all of sudden fixed, w/o the pagefile being nearly used

p.s. there is indication that some users w/o pagefile (swap) get Arma 3 performance troubles

and when they add 4-16GB swap file it's all of sudden fixed, w/o the pagefile being nearly used

Yeah. Running without a page file if you have plenty of RAM seems sensible but there are Microsoft documents that say it is a bad idea no mater how much memory you have. Learned that one when flying FS9. Want to optimise it? Put the swapfile on the least used drive and use a disk defragment tool on it but don't remove it...

---------- Post added at 06:25 ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 ----------

I've tried 2 showcases of the full release - the tank and the gunship. Both seem very buggy. (I'd played some of the others showcases in Beta and they were OK).

Well. They did mention (not widely communicated well) that non of the fixes in the BETA DEV branch are in the release version and that all those nifty fixes we had in DEV will be back in DEV in Mondays update. Hopefully it won't take long to get all the fixes into the RELEASE branch!

got 8-32GB of memory ? do some extensive flying around altis with tons of units and objects and AI

check the overall commit of used memory, not just Arma 3's direct memory (which willbe between 2.0 and 2.6GB with -maxmem=2047)

Nope. Just did it. I have 8 GB ram. Before starting ArmA - 1,64 GB used (system, cash). "flying around altis with tons of units and objects and AI" - 3,6 GB. Not a single mb more

CHykis;2503851']Nope. Just did it. I have 8 GB ram. Before starting ArmA - 1' date='64 GB used (system, cash). "flying around altis with tons of units and objects and AI" - 3,6 GB. Not a single mb more[/quote']

I can confirm that. Please stop saying that 64 bit support isn't needed. Screw people that still use 32 bit for gaming. Also, ever heard of games that have an option to switch between 32 bit and 64 bit? That'd be great.

I was loading an mso altis yesterday and it felt like the game hung when it was generating the 49 towns for the modules, so I tabbed out and looked and I had 15% cpu usage and 6gb of ram being used arma3 was my only program running so it used 4gb i do have maxmem set to 4096.

there who talk this 32 vs 64bit ... completely ignore the fact of engine being able use since 2008 the so called memory w/o addresss indirectly

http://www.bistudio.com/english/company/developers-blog/85-breaking-the-32-bit-barrier

direct 4GB of LAA (2GB maxmem+dynamic allocs/caches/libraries etc.)+ indirect ? MB/GB ...

Another good advice is to move the Pagefile to another drive (not Partition)

I was loading an mso altis yesterday and it felt like the game hung when it was generating the 49 towns for the modules, so I tabbed out and looked and I had 15% cpu usage and 6gb of ram being used arma3 was my only program running so it used 4gb i do have maxmem set to 4096.

Bullshit. -maxmem=2048 or lower just can work. You can't make the game use more than 2048 with this parameter. And even BIS can't do this lol

Another good advice is to move the Pagefile to another drive (not Partition)

SSD, RAMDISC, pagefile to another drive - not a single FPS for me and for anyone who i know and who tried these things.

Edited by [RFP]CHykis

CHykis;2503990']SSD' date=' RAMDISC, pagefile to another drive - not a single FPS for me and for anyone who i know and who tried these things.[/quote']

You may not get more FPS but you will observe smoother LoD & terrain streaming.

You may not get more FPS but you will observe smoother LoD & terrain streaming.

Lol, how you can get smoother Lod on the same FPS? May be if you wearing pink glasses when you test this? But we had nothing smoother or cooler. May be if you have HDD on 5400rpt it will help, but for us it don't.

Yeah and I absolutely agree with OP: there is no quality, no content without copy/pasted, no SOUND, tons of bugs, lags, and BIS is not seems to be in hard work on these. No cockpit, no cumulatives in tanks, no shotguns, no AT missles in T-100 - russian tanks have it, I can continue this list forever. Merkava has 6 sits for infantry? - wow, if you look at it from outside you can figure that it can't be true - it's not big anough! And how it carry the same number of ammo?

Edited by [RFP]CHykis

CHykis;2504028']Lol' date=' how you can get smoother Lod on the same FPS? May be if you wearing pink glasses when you test this? But we had nothing smoother or cooler. May be if you have HDD on 5400rpt it will help, but for us it don't.[/quote']

If your LoD update is delayed by several frames because of data access delays then you will have a different experience than if your LoD update happens in the frame it was requested in. It manifests as less obvious LoD pop-ins.

CHykis;2503851']Nope. Just did it. I have 8 GB ram. Before starting ArmA - 1' date='64 GB used (system, cash). "flying around altis with tons of units and objects and AI" - 3,6 GB. Not a single mb more[/quote']

used Process Explorer from sysinternals ?

CTRL+I > memory> commit and below

used Process Explorer from sysinternals ?

CTRL+I > memory> commit and below

perfmon - memory - used ~ 3,6GB empty ~ 4,3GB - same thing has all my squad lol. win7 x64 8GB RAM just arma3. And no magical 6GB or more

If your LoD update is delayed by several frames because of data access delays then you will have a different experience than if your LoD update happens in the frame it was requested in. It manifests as less obvious LoD pop-ins.

Already said mate - no smoother smth. Have 2 systems with arma 3 on them - exactly the same experience. 1-hdd 2- sdd

Edited by [RFP]CHykis

David, you're posting A2 can get more than 2 GBytes of RAM. I know that x32 apps can do so using IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE flag set.

But in my process explorer I see no more than 2 GBytes used by Arma3 process.

Add to this 1.6 for system. So I see no more then 3.6 Gbytes used of my 16 GB. I see no other indirect processes using my RAM. Nothing but system and Arma.

Yes, Dwarden.

It's obvious that A3 can utilize more than 2GBytes of memory (RAM+Pagefile) And we aren't agruing about HDD utilization. We are talking about RAM usage. And yes, you're talking about using Physical memory+virtual memory. But I have unused more than 10GB of very fast physical memory, and Chykis do, and many others. All i see is utilization of 2GB of lightning fast memory, and 4 more of slow. BTW I tried to utilize RAMDISK for pagefile and it didn't lead to FPS increase. But i did it in March. I'l definetely can try it one more time. But can you say for shure if it will increase my FPS or not?

ditto, A3 never uses more than 1.7GB whether it s on my server or gaming rig.

---------- Post added at 16:18 ---------- Previous post was at 16:04 ----------

quick question Dwarden, how can another milsim based off of RV3 use 64bit addressing and RV4 cant?

That is interesting, because with no swap file in ArmA 2 I always got better (smoother) performance with no issues. Guess I'll have to try enabling it again...

i,m kinda disapointed. then again im not. i like the graphics and stuff but dont have the simulation feeling from arma 2. more like opperation flashpoint dragon rising... but modderately (?) better. experience of the game will probally change once i've joined a squad/ clan whatever. with dlc and expansions... this game will improve, give it some time. overal: good, hopes high for the dlc!

Edited by dennybop
yoloswag

i,m kinda disapointed. then again im not. i like the graphics and stuff but dont have the simulation feeling from arma 2. more like opperation flashpoint dragon rising... but modderately (?) better. experience of the game will probally change once i've joined a squad/ clan whatever. with dlc and expansions... this game will improve, give it some time. overal: good, hopes high for the dlc!

BIS say no promises. First there were some, and more of them didn't happen. So I started to be afraid.

I like graphics, some stances features. But too much must be done for me to be happy.

Yeah, I'm joining the list of people who are rather underwhelmed by the release...

Shoddy A.I. (a complaint since alpha for me that was never addressed)

Extremely limited release content

Physics that are really questionable (IE: tank barrel vs building = flying tank?)

Same old scripting system

and the list goes on....

So much could have really been done, and I just felt it was over all a wasted opportunity. It saddens me when things like ACE are so well done that the standard Arma 2 was almost unplayable without it (see: AI path finding etc..). By that I mean some one who wasn't even have the intimate knowledge of the game the Developer has, is able to come up with better end product.

To all of you who are on the "DLC will make this great!" cheer squad, why should everyone have to wait and pay for extra content to have a decent game?

Well played B.I.S..... another half assed release

Yeah, I'm joining the list of people who are rather underwhelmed by the release...

Shoddy A.I. (a complaint since alpha for me that was never addressed)

Extremely limited release content

Physics that are really questionable (IE: tank barrel vs building = flying tank?)

Same old scripting system

and the list goes on....

So much could have really been done, and I just felt it was over all a wasted opportunity. It saddens me when things like ACE are so well done that the standard Arma 2 was almost unplayable without it (see: AI path finding etc..). By that I mean some one who wasn't even have the intimate knowledge of the game the Developer has, is able to come up with better end product.

To all of you who are on the "DLC will make this great!" cheer squad, why should everyone have to wait and pay for extra content to have a decent game?

Well played B.I.S..... another half assed release

I'm not disappointed at all. A3 release was better than any previous release. Arma2 release was worse. Do I really need to bring up OFP or Arma1's initial release? Personally, I'm not going to let a missing bicycle & some jets turn the game into a disappointment. And the "shoddy AI" is nothing new... but then again they aren't scripted AI, they essentially have brains. Which you can't say about any other large scale war game besides the previous titles. Also, people are bitching about weapons amount, which I find laughable. BIS didn't need to fill weapons crates up to the brim with weapons because of attachments. Also, for me, Arma3 is more optimized than Arma2.