To sum it up our AI guys have been working on optimizations and refactoring, pathfinding (mainly buildings and vehicle entering) and suppression (+ detection). And of course - crash and bug fixing. That's about as much as can be done at one moment, we're still relatively small team. Driving improvements were in progress, currently on hold, but we still hope to share some progress soonTM. Work on suppression will continue and that closely ties to behavior and commanding.

Thanks for the update oukej. I'm surprised that you haven't been given a MUCH bigger team considering the importance of AI in the Armaverse! Go and put in a request to the bosses!

It's even more frustrating because some of us remember that the AI was driving far better in Arma 1...

Thanks for the update oukej. I'm surprised that you haven't been given a MUCH bigger team considering the importance of AI in the Armaverse! Go and put in a request to the bosses!

No, that's not my pos, not in charge. I'm just a part of it ;) Whole A3 team isn't as big as you may expect.

Edited by oukej

It's even more frustrating because some of us remember that the AI was driving far better in Arma 1...

Well, roadside detail has increased by multitudes since then. The current AI has no issues navigating through less cluttered towns on older islands.

Right. I just tested it and one hunter managed to get from Paraiso to Bagango without crashing (just "removed" a few road signs) :)

To sum it up our AI guys have been working on optimizations and refactoring, pathfinding (mainly buildings and vehicle entering) and suppression (+ detection). And of course - crash and bug fixing. That's about as much as can be done at one moment, we're still relatively small team. Driving improvements were in progress, currently on hold, but we still hope to share some progress soonTM. Work on suppression will continue and that closely ties to behavior and commanding.

Great to hear, oukej, perhaps the outlook on driving is not as gloomy after all. But there was this mod where AI driving (for a single vehicle) was vastly improved - hope you guys can get some inspiration. In due time, of course. :)

sometimes plane AI seem to cause massive stuttering. Only 1 plane appeared the game will cause massive stuttering.

someone experience similar problem?

i suspect that plane AI have infinite looping somewhere.

Edited by Arkblade

Is the Suppressive fire command working after the update or a useless action menu entry as usual?

There hasn't been any change in it.
ok thanks, not important(compared to other stuff) but would be nice if someday it finds the way in Arma.... Edited by TeilX

Is the Suppressive fire command working after the update or a useless action menu entry as usual?

sometimes plane AI seem to cause massive stuttering. Only 1 plane appeared the game will cause massive stuttering.

someone experience similar problem?

i suspect that plane AI have infinite looping somewhere.

Any details? Which plane? Under what circumstances?

Ai still follows the wrong person (not leader) if the leader dies and the person controlling him spawns back in as new leader.

This is something that breaks a few of my missions so I'd like to see it fixed.

With AI being responsive to suppression, is there any plans to make AI consider suppressing enemy targets or enemy targets that are known to have enemies extremely close by (sandbag with AI crouching below)?

And is there any regard to the 'suppressive Fire command' in commanding your troops?

And in future could the AI, being given a 'move command' suppress enemy troops in a bounding maneuver?

Ie, hopefullythis AI suppression feature will be developed on in future

It stops me from fully enjoying the game.

It was reported two years ago! How hard can it be to fix?

I really welcome the suppression effects but it highlights a continued negligence of the AI. The AI responsiveness had to deal with fatigue and now it has to deal with suppression, all making the AI even harder to respond under fire, while no effort was put to make the AI more responsive. That's a shame.

At least for the time being make the AI lower their weapons when moving in "stay alert" status? It's aching to see them moving fatigued but having their weapon up like idiots now.

And is there any regard to the 'suppressive Fire command' in commanding your troops?

I also asked

It was reported two years ago! How hard can it be to fix?

Tried to clarify it in a comment to the FT ticket. (sry about the edits ;))

Edited by oukej

Thanks very much.

I'll do some more testing to figure out exactly the nature of my problem but I must say that of the three bugs mentioned in the tracker, only the last one seems to be close to what I experience.

For me the leader can control the AI's stances etc. but they follow the number 2. The number 2 doesn't take control in any way, whether they are human or AI.

ai still needs some work there are way to good just got shoot from 800 meter away and now i am sitting in a different spot about 800 to 900 and there shooting at me

Thanks very much.

I'll do some more testing to figure out exactly the nature of my problem but I must say that of the three bugs mentioned in the tracker, only the last one seems to be close to what I experience.

For me the leader can control the AI's stances etc. but they follow the number 2. The number 2 doesn't take control in any way, whether they are human or AI.

As Oukej said, that is intentional. #2 in that instance is the fire team leader, so he follows you, and his team follows him. So naturally this means everyone should stay in formation. IIRC, #3 is also a team leader. So you'd have to make sure those guys are behaving the way you want in your scenarios.

As Oukej said, that is intentional. #2 in that instance is the fire team leader, so he follows you, and his team follows him. So naturally this means everyone should stay in formation. IIRC, #3 is also a team leader. So you'd have to make sure those guys are behaving the way you want in your scenarios.

If no one dies then this doesn't happen.

When me and buddy (1+2) leave the rest of the squad on the other side of the map they will happily stay there until one of us dies.

After that they are controllable only in stance but blindly follow my buddy.

ai still needs some work there are way to good just got shoot from 800 meter away and now i am sitting in a different spot about 800 to 900 and there shooting at me

Rifleman, machinegunner, sniper, APC or static MG?

If it is sniper, APC or static MG's it's IMHO a good thing they spot you and engage you from long distance. This was an issue in A1/A2 where the AI had problems detecting you at ~400+ m IIRC and I'm glad to see that fixed.

If you mean the are to good a shooting and killing you every time at that distance try play around with the "precisionAI" parameter in your *.Arma3Profile. Setting it to <0.25 makes the AI fire but miss alot.

/KC

The new suppression modeling should help with their accuracy assuming you do the right thing and maintain fire superiority toward them.

Fixed: AI got stuck if it joins another group during healing

Many thanks for that! :cheers:

Got my mission running smoothly again.

afaik the suppression is not working, maybe custom addons is making porblem but i believe that custom addon is not making this.