Question for the developers:

Is there a special reason, why MBTs refuse to use their main cannon against infantry, even though they've ammunition for that purpose?

- AI DEV LOG

Has the ability to give Player an 'All Clear' overiding command ever been examined? Seems like it wouldn't be THAT difficult to basically shut all auto-danger FSM down and would really give the player the feeling he was in command again.

This is one of my greatest desires for Arma. Right now only AI can give the "clear" command that returns AI to safe/aware from combat mode.

This is one of my greatest desires for Arma. Right now only AI can give the "clear" command that returns AI to safe/aware from combat mode.

Oh yeah, for the love of all armankind: human squadleaders need that command too!

This isn't the Mutiny on the Bounty. ;)

Btw. I've also just notice how my F2 to F12 keys to command individual units have been magically disabled all of a sudden (selecting all units at once still worked, however). That was during some SP scenario and all went back to normal after reloading to some earlier state. Guess it's probably hard to replicate this. :confused:

Oh, and another (minor) thing: please make the AI stop saying "out of ammo" if this only is due to running low on ammo for a secondary weapon (like a pistol), while they still got plenty of ammo for their main weapon. It just renders this - otherwise neat and helpful - feature useless, since it's so unreliable, or down to worthless information. And then it gets annoying.

Edited by ruebe

I am pretty sure it is not really a command, just something the AI says after the forget about the known enemies because of natural decay, and they exit combat mode. An actual 'clear' command would probably need some work. I would like to see it though.

Oh yeah, for the love of all armankind: human squadleaders need that command too!

This isn't the Mutiny on the Bounty. ;)

Btw. I've also just notice how my F2 to F12 keys to command individual units have been magically disabled all of a sudden (selecting all units at once still worked, however). That was during some SP scenario and all went back to normal after reloading to some earlier state. Guess it's probably hard to replicate this. :confused:

Oh, and another (minor) thing: please make the AI stop saying "out of ammo" if this only is due to running low on ammo for a secondary weapon (like a pistol), while they still got plenty of ammo for their main weapon. It just renders this - otherwise neat and helpful - feature useless, since it's so unreliable, or down to worthless information. And then it gets annoying.

Yes, and AT guys should be more specific when out of rockets. "Out of AT ammo" would be more informative.

Yes, and AT guys should be more specific when out of rockets. "Out of AT ammo" would be more informative.

AND they should only report this once, because afterwards you've got the yellow icon in you command taskbar.

Oh, I've always wondered why the fuck are they calling out of ammo while spraying away :confused:

Oh, I've always wondered why the fuck are they calling out of ammo while spraying away :confused:

I've always thought it was so the SL could be informed and take necessary resupply actions BEFORE the poor AI was completely out of ammo and useless. This way if the AI receives an order to resupply at a dead guy in the middle of an open field, at least he can fight his way there.

I've always thought it was so the SL could be informed and take necessary resupply actions BEFORE the poor AI was completely out of ammo and useless. This way if the AI receives an order to resupply at a dead guy in the middle of an open field, at least he can fight his way there.

It'd be good if they'd tell they're low on ammo, or something similar, in the Finnish DF it's called out Ammo Yellow when low, and Ammo Red when out of ammo, something like that would be nice and immersive methinks.

Units also report they are out of ammo if they don't have any pistol mags. You can have 21 primary mags and they'll still do it. I know they are in fact out of ammo for their pistol when they say it, but come on.

It'd be good if they'd tell they're low on ammo, or something similar, in the Finnish DF it's called out Ammo Yellow when low, and Ammo Red when out of ammo, something like that would be nice and immersive methinks.

I see what you mean. We call it ammo yellow and ammo black in the USA.

Edited by supercereal4

- AI DEV LOG

Has the ability to give Player an 'All Clear' overiding command ever been examined? Seems like it wouldn't be THAT difficult to basically shut all auto-danger FSM down and would really give the player the feeling he was in command again.

I've been away from A3 for months and months again. Each time I come back hoping that the squad AI has GOT TO BE improved ....I'm stunned the above is not an option yet. Stunned to hear the same terrible squad (friendly AI) issues remain......are not addressed at all patch after patch after patch.

Wow.

Yep, BIS knows how to "surprise" us when it comes to AI improvements.

Ai still follows the wrong person (not leader) if the leader dies and the person controlling him spawns back in as new leader.

A164 wipeout is having bad problems, not sure if its more of plane model or AI issue but here is the message I added to general discussion:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?152866-General-Discussion-(dev-branch)&p=2914135&viewfull=1#post2914135

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=23543

Edited by SaOk

Sorry, it appears that driving is not being worked on at all

driving and rearming is one of the most needed improvements to the AI in A3 ... sadly no attention from BIS

...and yet we get told to post in here :( Would be good to create list of AI issues and have BIS comment on the updated status for fixing each one.

I've been away from A3 for months and months again. Each time I come back hoping that the squad AI has GOT TO BE improved ....I'm stunned the above is not an option yet. Stunned to hear the same terrible squad (friendly AI) issues remain......are not addressed at all patch after patch after patch.

Wow.

While it is true there are alot of ai problems.

There is ongoing work with ai. Okjec (spelt wrong) there is a tread here on Dev forum he updates regularly.

---------- Post added at 20:52 ---------- Previous post was at 20:50 ----------

Oukej

please give the AI commen sense to heal themselves if health is critical and they have a spare FAK ;) please oukej please please lol

also could you look into the AI process of medic healing a unit? i find it takes way to long and something is missing from the old games such as...

you would walk up to the medic in OFP and it would say "heal at medic" i found this very easy and useful as i did not have to wait for the AI to wonder about for 5 mins before healing me ;)

To sum it up our AI guys have been working on optimizations and refactoring, pathfinding (mainly buildings and vehicle entering) and suppression (+ detection). And of course - crash and bug fixing. That's about as much as can be done at one moment, we're still relatively small team. Driving improvements were in progress, currently on hold, but we still hope to share some progress soonTM. Work on suppression will continue and that closely ties to behavior and commanding.

To sum it up our AI guys have been working on optimizations and refactoring, pathfinding (mainly buildings and vehicle entering) and suppression (+ detection). And of course - crash and bug fixing. That's about as much as can be done at one moment, we're still relatively small team. Driving improvements were in progress, currently on hold, but we still hope to share some progress soonTM. Work on suppression will continue and that closely ties to behavior and commanding.

Thanks for the AI status update, oukej. It's great to finally see some upgrades to the AI.

FYI

During the campaign, in Altis during patrol after completing the check point task, when i was in a convoy . After send AI to a designated position, they in a high speed driving in a long straight road, they simple overrun one knock down road barrier resulting in a high double mortal :cool:.

Maybe knock down object, should be destroyed or broken, if they remain intact, they are a menace to AI whom cant distinguish objects harmful to the vehicles and their occupants. Or AI should be able to reduce speed in order to divert them.