Sign in to follow this  
ChineseFood

Houses and Interiors

Not meaning to hijack this thread, but I'm making every building enterable on my upcoming island and also plan on some sort of randomly spawning furnishings if that's possible by then.

I would make the furniture geolods (collisions) solid and unobtusive to facilitate ease of movement in a firefight... Seems the way to go here.

All in all, I will hand place some interior objects as permanent features, then let the script function randomly place a few more.

Hello there

Knowing Arma and how easy it can be to get stuck on something, I'm not looking forward to furniture when in CQB. I would like to see major fixtures like kitchens/machinery etc but furniture is a bugbear for me being non mountable non moveable etc.

Rgds

LoK

with the furinture i think a lot of houses were way to small in arma\2 so having an item or 2 could be a problem for movement in those buildings but to not have any in a house means no cover for cqc, just a table on its side near a corner gives cover and plenty of room to move.

There are plenty of models cookers fridges washing machine beds couch to be had from the sample models to make it half lived in all with geo lods ready to go or just proxy them in like a lot of a1 buildings.

but completely empty houses looks super dumb its like somekind Resident evil testing chambers . you dont have to fill full interior with all furniture just 1 chair and 1 picture on wall if you dont have time or money to do more.

To be honest I'd rather empty houses than filled houses I cannot move about in. I'd rather all houses be enterable and usable than doll's houses with nice furniture. How do people feel about furniture with no collision geometry? So it'd be eye candy only?

I think that'd be a bit weird visually maybe mate? A unit could stand inside a tabletop for example...

Once I get back to my pc, I'll do a few furniture pieces then post a few interior shots here to show what amount I'll be doing it to, as it'll be quite bare- just a few broken tables and mattresses on the floor etc... So it won't really affect gameplay but will add some visual clutter.

I think that'd be a bit weird visually maybe mate? A unit could stand inside a tabletop for example...

The alternative is furniture will encumber the player's, and AI's, movements. Player movements is just annoying, having to WASD your way around a room when in "RL" you would automatically just do it. AI is more problematic, there's scope for getting stuck or just looping about, or not being able to make a path. I think I could bear the occasional sight of a unit clipping into a table, for the gain of each house being fully usable.

Aye, I do understand that point mate.

Maybe a good compromise would be to have say, a table on its side but up against a corner in a room, so it's not in the middle of the floor?

Empty houses suck. All we really need are bigger houses with more space inside. You can have furniture and still enough room to move around it.

furniture was never a problem before since it was sparingly placed and if so then close to walls and in corners. it just has be done like that again. place just a little so it looks more alive and less sterile but place it in a way that it doesn't hinder movement. they did it well before so i'm not worried. last thing i want is no furniture at all. chernarus had even pictures on the walls. to me that adds a lot to the feeling of a terrain even if it's just one piece of furniture and a carpet per room.

ai and the paths would need to be set to avoid the furniture take a look at how many postion's the arma1 hotel has loads of em for ai to use you would just have to avoid putting in a path near the object

defo bigger floor plans in houses = less collisions

Have to admit I like clutter :)

Like said it makes for a less sterile world and also destroyed clutter paints a picture that a battle took place there. On chairs they could just make them easily 'bumpable'.

Yeah, "bumpable" - they'll end up killing you! :D

Yes, as i use to bump into my own furnitures, at least that's realistic for me :lookaround:

"6, heal that pinky" :D

Table and counter corners...

Edited by NodUnit

If Chernarus in player-centric DayZ can have furniture with AI zombies being able to run through such houses - I don't see why ArmA3 shouldn't.

However if it will make FPS crash and burn because of furniture in every house in Agia Marina for example - which it most likely will do - then ArmA3 probably shouldn't.

It'd also be great if we could get door sounds for the doors ( :rolleyes: ). Missing since OFP and can easily be done.

I was planning on having slowly creaking doors for my upcoming island... Do you mean it's not possible to implement that right now Icewindo?

furniture = more items to get stuck on ;)

---------- Post added at 10:46 ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 ----------

I was planning on having slowly creaking doors for my upcoming island... Do you mean it's not possible to implement that right now Icewindo?

yeah you can do that if you want just a static effect sound, basically in the environment sound you have villages day/night that effects that get randomly played within that area when your in it.

If your talking about adding it to play when ever someone opens a door then that's more tricky.

Furniture = more incentive to improve upon CQB eg. pathfinding indoors, and using indoors environments as a part of the battlefield ;)

Half full or half empty - this is an alpha, room for improvements

I always wondered whether it was possible for Devs to code furniture to randomly fill houses similar to modules which create civilians around towns and enterable buildings.

If the Devs know where the house positions which AI need to walk to and from, then you tell the code not to place there (too difficult I guess)

But what if the Devs could code furniture only positions and then randomly populate these.

Again, probably way too much work.