Sign in to follow this  
ChineseFood

Houses and Interiors

That would be a very good idea. Like, you can have the dinner table in one of three positions, along with the chairs. Then, when placing down furniture, it is randomly chosen which of the three places. That way it won't look like all of Stratis use the same decorator.

And the pathfinding for a particular house will know which of the three places the table went.

I always wondered whether it was possible for Devs to code furniture to randomly fill houses similar to modules which create civilians around towns and enterable buildings.

If the Devs know where the house positions which AI need to walk to and from, then you tell the code not to place there (too difficult I guess)

But what if the Devs could code furniture only positions and then randomly populate these.

Again, probably way too much work.

Also wondering how AI pathfinding works in relation to being stuck -trapped and unable to move. For instance if an AI intends to move straight but is blocked by an object, does another subroutine kick in telling it to move away from object whether that be sideways or backpeddle or both and then continue trying to go straight? It seems like a lot of progress was made here from Arma 1 to Arma 2 as in the first title I remember AI getting stuck and refusing to ever move again on the most trivial of obstacles.

Another thing is it possible for Ai to do a heightcheck of an obstacle and should it be low enough decide to vault over it? Something like RO2 -those bots are good at vaulting just about everywhere and I kinda doubt they placed vaulting nodes at every point of every map -seems to be an inherent pathfinding quality.

These things may be expensive CPU wise but then again would only need to be done if player(s) are within a certain proximity else they could just ghost thru.

why you cry about AI pathfinding inside house with furnitures ? so if you cry so much let's make all houses locked or remove all houses from map . jeeshh. all i wanted is make more enterable houses with some furnitures inside make it more believable and more beautiful for multiplayer or mods. ai will have trouble inside house anyway doesnt matter if it has some furniture or not.

Forum rules prevent me from properly addressing that post.

Anyway, I would suggest that the AI interaction with the interior of buildings is of far more importance and use than your desire to see pretty houses. Personally I would far rather have AI use buildings and not get trapped, stuck or confused than be astonished at the decor.

They clip throught furniture anyway in the few moments that they dare to enter a building, no big deal IMO.

I am planning to include furniture in some of my structures, but in a way so the collision flow is smooth between wall and object.

Not lots though...

BBC Lifestyle broadcasting from Stratis :)

Cribs.

I got the hottest, most plush gold trimmed velvet ruby couch yo. And my tables, oh man this shit be ballin, you seen nothin till you seen my dining room, gold trim and diamond chandelier, and for my home boys I got some pictures of the good old times, you know back when we was in the hood. We got a picture of guba..oh man that **** was crazy dawg, and this is the malden airport. Man I tell ya, that forest nearby claimed so many helicopters because they was too busy looking at the map.

Edited by NodUnit

I just wish houses would have something in them, like tables or couches to hide behind. Possibly hidden weapon caches?

This is not a 'fixed' game. If you want a hidden weapons cache: place it in your mission.

I guess furniture will come in later updates as civilian objects in the editor.