Yeeeah why can we still spin around at breakneck speed when laying on our sides still anyway..

It's funny because freelook solves this

Edited by NodUnit

Yeeeah why can we still spin around at breakneck speed when laying on our sides still anyway..

ArmA breakdancing!

Is it just me, or did the dev branch update completely break anyone else's game? I had to roll back to the stable version since nothing would work anymore, I couldn't even get vehicles to turn their engines on.

Is it just me, or did the dev branch update completely break anyone else's game? I had to roll back to the stable version since nothing would work anymore, I couldn't even get vehicles to turn their engines on.

Works fine here

The Americans reverse the flag on the right arm so it is never "going backwards..."

Yeah stupid I know but that's what they do.

The real reason is the the texture file for some uniform and vehicle skins are based on symmetrical and transparency - if it had writing for example it would appear as if written backwards on one arm, tested and true :)

I'm sorry if I have sounded any wrong, I didn't want to blame anyone (especially not Varnon, I would have quoted him if it was directed to him). We are trying to do our best at least in things manageable well within the data-lock, authentic flags are one of these. I have tried to explain that the change-ability of hiddenSelections didn't suffer, hiddenSelectionsMaterials is even a new parameter that I wanted to point at. I was not trying to offend anyone as it might seem, just show the way how to handle new stuff and use it for possible better content :icon_twisted:

I'm going to investigate the BLUFOR lads, it might be possible to correct them before the launch, but again, I won't promise anything as it might backfire in such spectacular way.

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 PM ----------

The real reason is the the texture file for some uniform and vehicle skins are based on symmetrical and transparency - if it had writing for example it would appear as if written backwards on one arm, tested and true :)

I would point You to the mentioned ticket if You don't mind :icon_twisted:

All we want Pettka is emblems for the specific countries or a NATO emblem.

Voted on the ticket.

Edited by dale0404

I'm sorry if I have sounded any wrong, I didn't want to blame anyone (especially not Varnon, I would have quoted him if it was directed to him). We are trying to do our best at least in things manageable well within the data-lock, authentic flags are one of these. I have tried to explain that the change-ability of hiddenSelections didn't suffer, hiddenSelectionsMaterials is even a new parameter that I wanted to point at. I was not trying to offend anyone as it might seem, just show the way how to handle new stuff and use it for possible better content :icon_twisted:

I'm going to investigate the BLUFOR lads, it might be possible to correct them before the launch, but again, I won't promise anything as it might backfire in such spectacular way.

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 PM ----------

I would point You to the mentioned ticket if You don't mind :icon_twisted:

I guess its just a Happy Accident for you then :p Coz you know that we cannot write anything there as it gets reversed on the opposite side.....search your feelings, you know it to be true (in the voice of Darth Vader).

I'm going to investigate the BLUFOR lads, it might be possible to correct them before the launch, but again, I won't promise anything as it might backfire in such spectacular way.:

It would be great if you could revert the shoulder patch of the opfor soldiers to the velcro too and add a CSAT velcro patch on that along with a random flag of nationality, or Iran, or whatever major nation is part of that alliance.

The massive hexagon logo on their shoulders looks massively out of place. Is the CSAT logo final, by the way, or is it a placeholder? Because it's kind of anticlimactic and uncreative, just six hexagons on red.

I'm sorry if I have sounded any wrong, I didn't want to blame anyone (especially not Varnon, I would have quoted him if it was directed to him).

No harm done :D Thanks for the clarification.

...Because it's kind of anticlimactic and uncreative, just six hexagons on red.

Just like Coke logo is some letters on red and facebook logo is an "f" on blue. ;)

A better arguement would have been that soldiers wear the flags of their nation as opposed to the faction they are part of.

For example you don't see soldiers walking around with a NATO star patch even though they are part of NATO.

I'm sorry if I have sounded any wrong, I didn't want to blame anyone (especially not Varnon, I would have quoted him if it was directed to him). I was not trying to offend anyone as it might seem, just show the way how to handle new stuff and use it for possible better content :icon_twisted

Relax Lord Bouncy, you haven't offended or upset anyone, we're just messing with you.

Hidden selection materials...I wonder if that means one could in a way manipulate the appearance of something based on a change midgame....mmm possibilities...

Edited by NodUnit

For example you don't see soldiers walking around with a NATO star patch even though they are part of NATO.

Uhm, yeah. You do. At least if they're part of KFOR, SFOR or ISAF.

Just like Coke logo is some letters on red and facebook logo is an "f" on blue. ;)

Except those were made by PR professionals trying to create immediately recognizable and memorable designs. Coke is one of the most recognizable brands in the world. And if you look at the logos of many military alliances, none of them are as simplistic or non-descript.

I mean, you could make up something better than six hexagons.

All we want Pettka is emblems for the specific countries or a NATO emblem.

Voted on the ticket.

Or they could leave it the way it was...

I have tried to explain that the change-ability of hiddenSelections didn't suffer, hiddenSelectionsMaterials is even a new parameter that I wanted to point at. I was not trying to offend anyone as it might seem, just show the way how to handle new stuff and use it for possible better content :icon_twisted:

Nice, I didn't know that rvmats can now be set as well with hidden selections. Have you considered doing nationality patches like the clan patches?

While talking about hidden selections, they don't seem to work (or rather, be ignored) on weapons, just like animation sources (see this ticket), this also affects standard weapons.

The NATO unit depicted in the campaign is the US 7th ID. It makes sense that it's an American flag.

Except those were made by PR professionals trying to create immediately recognizable and memorable designs. Coke is one of the most recognizable brands in the world. And if you look at the logos of many military alliances, none of them are as simplistic or non-descript.

I mean, you could make up something better than six hexagons.

So if it's simplistic and done by a paid "pro" it's good but if it's simplistic and done by a game studio for a fictional military alliance it's bad?

And yes, if I look at NATO logo it's so descriptive, I instantly know it stands for North Atlantic Treaty Organization. :confused:

So, what if it turns out, that the CSAT flag represents 6 nations that were labeled "dark horses" of the world and the red represents the blood spilt for the formation of the alliance and/or blood of their enemies in the oncoming world conquest. Looks pretty descriptive to me. Or you know, maybe they should turn them into 6 stars so they look like just about any other "union" flag out there?

What would be your idea for a flag for an alliance you have no information about? Why does it even matter?

Does the orcas have some more invisible barriers than the other chopper. If AI units are jumping off the moving chopper and opening parachute, orca tend to stop instantly and drop to ground with flames. Happens much less if at all with ghosthawk and kajman, with identical script.

The NATO unit depicted in the campaign is the US 7th ID. It makes sense that it's an American flag.

I don't think you understand. Every retexture now has a semi-transparent US Flag on their arm. It doesn't care what unit is depicted in the campaign.

So if it's simplistic and done by a paid "pro" it's good but if it's simplistic and done by a game studio for a fictional military alliance it's bad?

And yes, if I look at NATO logo it's so descriptive, I instantly know it stands for North Atlantic Treaty Organization. :confused:

So, what if it turns out, that the CSAT flag represents 6 nations that were labeled "dark horses" of the world and the red represents the blood spilt for the formation of the alliance and/or blood of their enemies in the oncoming world conquest. Looks pretty descriptive to me. Or you know, maybe they should turn them into 6 stars so they look like just about any other "union" flag out there?

What would be your idea for a flag for an alliance you have no information about? Why does it even matter?

Well, in general it does not matter, obviously.

I just personally find that logo uninteresting, and I do not think that much time was invested to generate it. Facebook had their own typeface designed for the logo, it was staked out, and an entire PR handbook designed around it. Same for Coca Cola. The Nato logo doesn't immediately tell you what it is about, but it is only one out of dozens of such organizations. For example, look at the SCO logo. It clearly has the member states on it, as well as the name. Another logo example of an international alliance would be the league of arab states (which CSAT is a successor to?) who have pretty clear symbolism on there too.

I realize that time was short, but if BI want to do completely unique and fictional entities, there should be some substance to them. The logo is the top cover, so to speak, and if the rest of CSAT is as unimaginative, I dread the background for the campaign.

As far as game opponents go, you need to have some kind of powerful symbolism and "PR" so to speak behind your enemy, otherwise they become pretty unimpressive. None of the previous games needed that because you always could refer back to US vs Russia, and especially the soviet union is a powerful enemy that people immediately identify and associate with a clear and imminent threat.

Even the name "Canton Strategic Alliance Treaty" doesn't tell me anything. A Canton is the equivalent to a county in switzerland, for example. What is it, a regional organization made up of rebellious arab counties? I grant that we have 0 info about them right now, and I actually do not expect it to be as bad as I am painting it here.

I'd have just wished for an MGS style, HQ banner for the enemy, and not just six hexagons. Nevermind that the logo on the opfor uniforms looks... I don't know. Unappealing. Unimpressive. This small change turns them from a highly advanced, powerful, national military into some sort of Bond villain mooks pretending to be alien invaders. Sorry, but that's what the whole CSAT thing looks like to me right now.

A good story stands or falls with an interesting enemy. What do you identify the brotherhood of NOD with? The logo. It's not just a logo, it could be an icon. What the CSAT logo seems to say to me is BI saying "We are creatively burnt out, we gave up, this is all we can give you.". A fantastic game, with boring native story content is a dealbreaker for me. Especially since the original premise for A3 was so promising for me.

If the devs make an option to choose your flag in the player profile

What a cracking idea:cool:

I'm a big fan of the CSAT logo. What's wrong with it?

I'm a big fan of the CSAT logo. What's wrong with it?

The average non-C&C-player can't create any relation to either a faction of middle-eastern-islamic-countries or general OPFOR.