Sign in to follow this  
rekrul

BI games for PS4?

so the only question remains how fast is the hard-drive, cause IMO it must be SSD

Will probably be a HDD to keep the launch price within the expectation of current demand. Not many will buy a console for $599 (!), as PS3 had shown.

And AMD has excellent APUs, especially the GPU core, courtesy of its ATi division - reaching the performance of current gen midrange discrete video cards.

---------- Post added at 20:56 ---------- Previous post was at 20:54 ----------

So its proofed it will be another title.

Wishful thinking on my part then. :cc:

PS4 won't be able to handle ArmA2 due to its weak hardware (there are laptops that are way more powerful) and you think it can handle ArmA3?

There are other games BIS develops too

Good christ. What hardware do you you have in your high end PC of yours? Is it a last generation I7 (mind you that is still a quad even if it is 2 threads/core), and a 7870 GPU?

Bear in mind consoles have a huge advantage over PCs: they don't need drivers, they don't have APIs, you don't have an OS. In short you don't run a game through a bunch of filters/converters. So you can take full advantage of the full hardware power.

I do not own a console, but i do realize the advantages from both a consumer and a developer consoles provides.

Bear in mind consoles have a huge advantage over PCs: they don't need drivers, they don't have APIs, you don't have an OS.
thats just bullshit. every console has a OS, it must have. and it still needs drivers. its just that they are optimized for the hardware and written for that spesific hardware.

thats just bullshit. every console has a OS, it must have. and it still needs drivers. its just that they are optimized for the hardware and written for that spesific hardware.

Exactly, which is why console games can run so much better than their PC coutnerpart. On consoles, even if the hardware is 5 years old, they can do amazing things. This is only because the environment is unified and they do not have to develop the game to make it work with thousands of hardware configurations.

Your are right, I misphrased. It has an OS designed around a single focused point, while any other OS out there is designed to be able to cope with as much as everything.

Definitely getting a PS4 myself - Sony's quality in Make-Believe entertainment has always been high ever since the launch of Playstation 1, which I used non-stop back in 1999. :cc:

<3 Gran Turismo & MGS

Bear in mind consoles have a huge advantage over PCs: they don't need drivers, they don't have APIs, you don't have an OS. In short you don't run a game through a bunch of filters/converters. So you can take full advantage of the full hardware power.

Actually consoles do run OS and all that comes with it.

Obviously their OS aren't as complicated and loaded with stuff as PC ones.

Nonetheless there's only so much stuff you can do with a crappy AMD laptop CPU. When i5 750 still smokes their desktop flagship you know it's really bad.

I do not own a console, but i do realize the advantages from both a consumer and a developer consoles provides.

Good for you. To me they are just toys that have limits in everything compared to PCs.

metalcrazy you do realize this AMD 8 core APU (CPUGPU) is way powerful than any x86/x64 desktop CPU AMD produced ?

trying compare it with some mobile CPUs is nonsense

console hardware is very streamlined and optimized so if it performs worse than the i5 I would be quite shocked

metalcrazy you do realize this AMD 8 core APU (CPUGPU) is way powerful than any x86/x64 desktop CPU AMD produced ?

console hardware is very streamlined and optimized so if it performs worse than the i5 I would be quite shocked

The Jaguar cores are low power, their performance is cut in favor of saving power. Stacking 8 of them allows Sony to try to compensate through multithreading while still keeping power draw and heat relatively low.

normal Jaguar cores had already quite nice IPC boost over Bobcat ... this one most likely got even more tweaking ...

it's no point to dismiss the possibility of it performing enough until we see true raw benchmarks ...

I don't doubt that it will have some performance edge due to being unified and having to handle less stuff. But Jaguar is a replacement for Brazos (which is a portable-market CPU). It won't run at 3-4 GHz on consoles either. And I've yet to see a CPU from AMD that would beat Intel on GHz vs GHz basis after so many years.

And no I'm no AMD hater - being a long-time AMD user myself. But AMD CPUs just suck today - sad but true.

I don't doubt that it will have some performance edge due to being unified and having to handle less stuff. But Jaguar is a replacement for Brazos (which is a portable-market CPU). It won't run at 3-4 GHz on consoles either. And I've yet to see a CPU from AMD that would beat Intel on GHz vs GHz basis after so many years.

And no I'm no AMD hater - being a long-time AMD user myself. But AMD CPUs just suck today - sad but true.

The only AMD CPUs with good price/performance these days are the Athlon II X4 6## series, whatever variant of the Phenom II X4 9## Black Edition you can find, and the FX-6300. The latter faces hard competition from the i3-3220. FX-8320 is equaled in price by the i5-3350P, unless you live within driving distance of a Microcenter where it's $170, and if you do live within driving distance of a Microcenter, you can get an i5-3570K for less than the FX-8350, or an i5-3470 for only $150.

so the only question remains how fast is the hard-drive, cause IMO it must be SSD

From what I've been able to collect, they are not using SSD, but it might be a hybrid disk. Normal HDD with flash buffer.

The only AMD CPUs with good price/performance these days are the Athlon II X4 6## series, whatever variant of the Phenom II X4 9## Black Edition you can find, and the FX-6300. The latter faces hard competition from the i3-3220. FX-8320 is equaled in price by the i5-3350P, unless you live within driving distance of a Microcenter where it's $170, and if you do live within driving distance of a Microcenter, you can get an i5-3570K for less than the FX-8350, or an i5-3470 for only $150.

I am sorry to say, but you are wrong. I bought recently for my office (true, no gaming rig) an FX8350 (piledriver), which, at least in my country, was 30-50EUs cheaper than the i53570, and around 80EUs if you pack it with a decent (yet not very expensive) mainboard.

For CAD apps and multithreading work, you can't really beat the price/performance. It is very close to the i7 3820 i also have at the office when in comes to renders and alike

Hmm... how much is BIS interested and ready to develop games for PS4? What about developments for the other new nextgen xbox console? Think that new games, fresh ideas/concepts of games are more welcome than some "endless" re-cycle of existing/old stuff. Are BIS creative and strong enough to develop games on different game platforms and maintain these games?

From what I've been able to collect, they are not using SSD, but it might be a hybrid disk. Normal HDD with flash buffer.

i would VERY doubt it's normal typical hybrid (even the Momentus-2 from Seagate would not cut it) ...

it must have huge SSD / memory cache to keep up with the streaming video demands (the video must be stored somewhere before it's uploaded and wasting precious 8GB GDDR5 memory for it is highly unlikely)

I'm pretty sure Sony would get a good price if they placed an order of a couple of millions 60GB SSDs.

Usually I enjoy belittling consoles, seeing as the hardware remains stagnant throughout they're lifespans, they're so inferior in almost every aspect. It's only a matter of time until even a mid range pc is stomping on that ps4. Unless you can upgrade hardware now for ps? Anyhow, seeing as OFP was such an excellent port to the console back in the day, I see no harm in releasing an Arma3 for the ps4, aslong as it would be a close copy of the vanilla game, pretty much how elite was. Elite was very impressive actually. Anyone who played both pc version of ofp & ofp elite for the xbox knows what I mean. Sure, ofcourse the pc version was better. The mods and if you had a good pc, the graphics. But then again, it's not like they turned it into, as someone mention earlier, Arma: Battlefield.

Edited by Iceman77

Usually I enjoy belittling consoles, seeing as the hardware remains stagnant throughout they're lifespans, they're so inferior in almost every aspect. It's only a matter of time until even a mid range pc is stomping on that ps4. Unless you can upgrade hardware now for ps? Anyhow, seeing as OFP was such an excellent port to the console back in the day, I see no harm in releasing an Arma3 for the ps4, aslong as it would be a close copy of the vanilla game, pretty much how elite was. Elite was very impressive actually. Anyone who played both pc version of ofp & ofp elite for the xbox knows what I mean. Sure, ofcourse the pc version was better. The mods and if you had a good pc, the graphics. But then again, it's not like they turned it into, as someone mention earlier, Arma: Battlefield.

OFP Elite was different situation. First Xbox had weak HW. I know, ArmA3 is hardcore simulation, many players won´t play it (on consoles), because hardcore. For my wallet and old PC on my desk, I want ArmA 3 for PS4. With touchpad can be so easy controling map editor, using map, etc.. I´m big fan of BIS. Battlefield games is not what I want play on next-gen console.

PS4's Arma3 compatible controller launched:

AUAWplw.jpg

;)