Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Day Z Announced as standalone title.

Awesome pics. That new Chernarus is a must have in ArmA2. I hope there will be a way to play it with Combined Operations. Lack of interiors was the only flaw in the orginal map.

Awesome pics. That new Chernarus is a must have in ArmA2. I hope there will be a way to play it with Combined Operations. Lack of interiors was the only flaw in the orginal map.

Absolutely. I hope, though, they don't add the gore and blood everywhere, because then it will be a bit weird to play a regular ARMA mission on it and have ALICEs running around as if nothing was wrong :)

+1 for this.Very nice interiors.

Absolutely. I hope, though, they don't add the gore and blood everywhere, because then it will be a bit weird to play a regular ARMA mission on it and have ALICEs running around as if nothing was wrong :)
This is actually the philosophy cited in the Tumblr post -- "Adding gore or deterioration can quickly be overdone, so we feel our first task is to create the interiors and ensure we are happy with the gameplay and quality of the basic texture work - then we will go through to add elements more authentic to the situation".

In the course of DayZ's development, revolutionary changes will be made to the traditional multiplayer architecture of the RV engine.

DayZ standalone will be based on a client-server architecture (more like an MMO), not the current ArmA2 architecture.

Tumblr Blogpost

This blog post doesn’t contain any pictures, or videos, but I think it provides far more to be excited about. When I read many comments regarding the choice of engine, it can be very frustrating. Up there with the endless debates of what is or is not alpha, is the maddeningly uninformed arguments about what does or does not constitute a “new engineâ€. I see people say that DayZ is based on the ArmA2 engine, or Take on Engine, or even the ArmA3 engine. I have been joking with team members on the project, that if we were to focus on making shader updates and not change anything else, everyone would be proclaiming that it was a “new engineâ€.

This week saw our lead programmer outline a dramatic plan to change the face of DayZ and how it will hit the world at the end of this year. Simply put, the application will move into a traditional client-server relationship which the server makes most of the decisions. This is the common architecture behind virtually every MMO currently out there, and it will be DayZ’s architecture when it releases. How is this possible? Well, thanks to an extremely fortunate set of occurrences much thinking and some development had already occurred; the crack team of programmers behind Operation Flashpoint have been thinking about these things for many years. Combined, again, with the unique string of events putting me in the position to have the idea for DayZ, and everything to come together… one could be forgiven for thinking it sounds like fate!

Currently ArmA is running simulation calculations on all clients and on the server as well. Clients have the power to make changes to their world. When the world is as complex and changing as that which DayZ creates, it has created an environment where hacking and performance issues abound. This is not an issue with ArmA, this is an issue of the designer (me) making a design that far outreaches it’s foundations. It is a testament to the Real Virtuality engine that this is even possible. So, what we are doing right now is removing these operations completely from the clients and ensuring the server runs the world. DayZ does not require the complex array of player and AI interactions that ArmA does, so these are all gone. What we are left with is a very heavily optimized solution where the server “call’s the shots†so to speak.

For those with some understanding of such endeavours the significance of these changes will already be readily apparent. For those who do not, it is simple. we’re not just locking the application and data down any more, but we’re making the server the umpire. We’re ripping out everything not required and replacing it with an optimized solution that has players (the survivors) and AI (the zombies). Our zombies don’t need to conduct flanking maneuvers, they don’t need to reload their magazines. They are simple, and our architecture reflects that. Achieving this will be tough, as we are already crunching very hard. If this heavy optimization is as successful as it would rationally seem to be on paper, then we will be limited on player numbers not by performance, but map design. To ensure we are right, we will be running an architecture test at some point, soon.

Shall I make a seperate thread for discussing these fundamental changes?

In the course of DayZ's development, revolutionary changes will be made to the traditional multiplayer architecture of the RV engine.

Shall I make a seperate thread for discussing these fundamental changes?

That would be very much appreciated, if you willing to sacrifice that time PP

aah well Myke wants it to continue here ^^

Nice new change for DayZ, but i don't think this will be in A3.

hehe who even thought it would have anything to do with Arma 3 in the first place? :D

Since DayZ will be a standalone title, it will have it's "own" version of the RV engine which is tailored exactly to the needs of DayZ which are obviously quite different to the ArmA series. According to this it isn't logical to assume that changes in the Engine made for DayZ will necessarly find it's way into ArmA 3. But i agree it can't be fully excluded either.

hehe who even thought it would have anything to do with Arma 3 in the first place? :D

Admittedly, I did. Well sort of. :o

Basically I was hoping the standalone would get as much attention as the arma 3 would (at the time it wasn't clear on what engine it would run, though), so I was badly hoping for ragdol, physX and the astonishingly improved sound engine as well.

Now ragdol has been confirmed, as I've seen somewhere but that's about it.

I also can't think of anything that arma 3 would benefit from dayz development resources but I'm (far) from coder or have the knowledge of RV let alone any other engine. One thing though, RV seems to be impressively flexible and I'm looking forward to see both iterations at their max potential :cool:

PS - ty for the link PP :)

Basically I was hoping the standalone would get as much attention as the arma 3 would

The team working on the DayZ standalone is notably smaller than the combined A3 dev team. Though it shouldn't be neglected that extremely skilled people like Suma have found their way into it :)

I also can't think of anything that arma 3 would benefit from dayz development resources but I'm (far) from coder or have the knowledge of RV let alone any other engine.

I think both projects can benefit from eachother at some point as it already happened with products like TOH. The game mechanics are of course very different from each other and thus there aren't too many parallels that would justify such fundamental changes but perhaps inventions in the anti cheat sector or similar could be shared in the future. I am also looking forward to the revamped UI.

After all, you're completely right, the RV engine is indeed extremely versatile.

PS - ty for the link PP :)

You're welcome Bee!

They could possibly incorporate it into ArmA 3 for PvP stuff only. Maybe add some kind of function where you can check an option for a specific mission and/or server or something and it will go to the new DayZ mode which will disable the AI. Obviously you wouldn't want this option checked when playing with AI so it wouldn't be forced but those PvP guys would get something new. It is also possible I misunderstood the article. I read it yesterday and quite fast so feel free to wipe this post from your memory if need be...

....this is not the post you are looking for.

It should be much easier than that :) The DayZ:Mod will live on even after the launch of the standalone. Though it will rarely get official support but rather be maintained and further developed by the community.

As it already happened with other Arma 2 maps, it shouldn't be too hard to get the DayZ code working on the Arma 3 Limnos map to experience the DayZ:Mod in the new engine and environment :)

It should be much easier than that :) The DayZ:Mod will live on even after the launch of the standalone. Though it will rarely get official support but rather be maintained and further developed by the community.

As it already happened with other Arma 2 maps, it shouldn't be too hard to get the DayZ code working on the Arma 3 Limnos map to experience the DayZ:Mod in the new engine and environment :)

If DAYZ stand alone version can keep as many as cheaters in DAYZ MOD out of the game, then DAYZ MOD will just be one test plant.

Based on the language from RPS and VG247, I doubt that the architecture switch to "server side" will have much utility on the ARMA 3 modding end considering that rocket hasn't been friendly to other mods running alongside DayZ, the fact that he's basically blamed client-side and the nature of the existing Real Virtuality incarnations (read: to paraphrase him "not designed with competitive online PvP in mind") for the vulnerability to hacking, and seeing on what grounds DayZ Bounty is opposed:

We believe that the elements of gambling that DayZ Bounty introduces challenges the basic game design aspects that DayZ is built upon. It changes the focus of DayZ from being a creative, enjoyable, gritty gaming experience to a game that is based almost solely on financial gain and that is not something we want to be associated with.
When mind you, changing the focus of DayZ away from rocket's sacrosanct vision is at least partially the point behind the DayZ Bounty concept... yeah, I don't think the mindset behind this architecture switch will mesh very well with the ARMA modding and mission-making groups. :p

Considering my belief that "ARMA communities" (i.e. used to playing co-op) I believe might well want ARMA to be at least as moddable and scriptable as before even at the expense of security (between ARMA 2 to DayZ standalone, think the BF2 to BF3 change)... I wouldn't be surprised if that's part of why the standalone has its own RV iteration and why Vespa called it "insane" to do official DayZ on RV4 (ARMA 3's engine iteration).

Hmm chortles I've re read your post three times and am not clear on your point.

I agree that part of the reason dayz has its own branch on RV is to change the network architecture, not only to close down attack vectors (anyone can run a script in arma and until recently there has been nothing servers/server admins could really do abaout it - hence finding battleships on the beach and being teleoported 3 miles out to sea etc.) The other reasons I would guess would be ease of the port over to standalone (much quicker without a massive rewrite of the mod itself - speed up time to market), and the ability to port to arma 3 in a year or so and charge everyone again.

It is totally possible to have made dayz on a branch of RV4, and change the network architecture, and still have dayz client/server and arma 3 peer to peer - just as you can have dayz on RV3 going client server and and arma 2 remain peer to peer.

The reason they're against Bounty is obvious to anyone. BIS and Dayz team own arma and dayz, why should anyone be allowed to make money from that without so much as asking for permission? And you can bet the whole point of dayz bounty is to make cash for the creator.

Rocket is a bro.

I like how he doesn't like that buzz term "accessibility" and is aiming for a more harsher experience.

The reason they're against Bounty is obvious to anyone. BIS and Dayz team own arma and dayz, why should anyone be allowed to make money from that without so much as asking for permission? And you can bet the whole point of dayz bounty is to make cash for the creator.

Plus it's against the EULA to make profit or charge people for your mod, DayZ bounty = Mod which makes profit = booooo