Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Day Z Announced as standalone title.

So I assume that DayZ is going to use the ArmA3 engine, right? It would be quite silly if it stickd to the ArmA2 engine.

A modified version of the Take On engine is used for the future standalone ;)

So I assume that DayZ is going to use the ArmA3 engine, right? It would be quite silly if it stickd to the ArmA2 engine.

It would be quite silly to use an engine that isn't fully finished yet (ArmA 3 engine).

Take a look at the situation from their perspective. I'd rather use a more stable engine and make modifications to that (TKoH engine).

It would be quite silly to use an engine that isn't fully finished yet (ArmA 3 engine).

Take a look at the situation from their perspective. I'd rather use a more stable engine and make modifications to that (TKoH engine).

That is deeply unfortunate.

+1.

I would be fine with this, if they didn't start coincidentially cutting features out of ArmA 3. Stuff like the 3D editor is very, very important to the modding community.

Heck, to be honest, I care more about the 3D editor THAN THE CAMPAIGN ITSELF. If we have an amazing editor to work with, we can make our own campaigns. Please don't cut it out, BI. Please.

+1 sir. Out of all of my anti-dayz rants, I couldn't have said it better :)

++1

The Campaign will give some hours of fun. An proper 3D Editor is good enough for the eternity.

That is deeply unfortunate.
Arma 3's own animations lead dev declared it "insane" to use Arma 3's engine (Real Virtuality 4) when RV4 is itself still under development...

Personally, considering Rocket's intent to "lock it down" (the standalone) I wouldn't be surprised if some of his ideas are so incompatible with "freedom to mod" that it'd just hurt the "Arma 3 experience" for RV4 to have to both accommodate Arma 3 and the under-the-hood differences that Rocket feels necessary to properly fulfill the DayZ gameplay concept, i.e. certain anti-cheat protections so stringent that they'd make Arma 3 less moddable or make mission making less versatile.

This way DayZ gets an engine that can be customized for the narrower gameplay concept (i.e. no need for a unit command system or soldier AI AT ALL) while Arma 3 gets an engine that supports a broader range of gameplay. Besides, the main changes I recall people wanting in the standalone besides anti-cheat protections were a different inventory menu and "less clunky" movement. Obviously Arma 3 has tremendously succeeded at both of these which I guess is part you want the Arma 3 engine... but those were both on the "intended development of features" list for the DayZ standalone anyway, so there's the possibility of an AI .

As far as "cutting features out of ArmA 3"... last I heard, the 3D editor was just "we're not cutting it out -- we're not just developing it past what was already done in Arma 2". Then again, this was under Dan Musil, I don't know if Mr. Land feels the same way.

I'm just happy it's gonna be standalone. More than happy. Lets just hope dayz doesn't get an actual forum section here on the official BI forums. For reasons that are self explanatory...

DAYZ song

Sing this to the tune of GREEN ACRES I came up with this a few mins ago

DAYZ is the place for me

Green pine trees is to hide from zombies

Zombies and Bandits spreadin out far and wide

Keep Elektro, just give me that countryside.

Prigorodki is where Id rather stay

I get allergic to smelling the dead that way

I just adore a castle view.

Morhpine I love you, but give me a Cherno tower view.

.. The zeds

..The Loot

..Death in the air

..Victory Square

You are my obsession

Good bye, life

DayZ we are there.

News about the Standalone:

http://dayzdev.tumblr.com/post/39933141266/where-is-the-standalone-release-i-suppose-i

What has been done?

One of the most profound and major architectural changes has had its initial implementation completed, this is the overhaul of the inventory system. In fact, the inventory and item management system was completely removed and rewritten from the ground by Jirka, one of the original engine programmers. The work that has been completed on this groundbreaking, and it going to fundamentally change the DayZ experience.

You scavenge for items now, as individual parts, picking up pieces rather than piles, looking for cans on shelves or under beds. The new system opens the door for durability of items, disease tracking (cholera lingering on clothes a player wears…), batteries, addon components, and much more. If you shoot a player in the head to take his night vision, you will damage the night vision. The changes to this inventory system are huge.

An additional area of change has been to make the inventory system more intuitive along with a key focus on providing visceral feedback on your progress through what inventory you have. The use of drag-and-drop, 3D models rather than 2D pictures, and being able to add items/clothing to your character in 3D in the inventory screen - have all come out of months of design work and research. I’m extremely pleased with the results of Jirka and Hladas, two of the programmers who have been working on implementing the design ideas. I believe the changes to this inventory system will fundamentally change the nature of the DayZ experience.

We are not at the point where we can release meaningful videos or screenshots of the system, but we have now confirmed the base architecture is working in game. Likely, the first that will come out about the inventory system will be during the closed test when people are actually using it.

UI Changes

ArmA community legend kju has been part of the DayZ development for some time, and is now one of your key development members. He has been working with our CEO (Marek) and me to develop the DayZ UI. We have been greatly inspired by Minecraft to make the UI simple and effective, rather than flashy and complex. All our art and code efforts are going into the game, the UI is being designed to be straightforward and functional just like in Minecraft.

As I said it before, I hope some of the changes will find its way into ArmA3.

Also congrats to Q, now he insert the official halls of BIS. :D

What ever, I hope there will be a DayZ Forum section in the official BIS-Forums too, because I think all playerbases can contribute, interact and share their experience to each other. (seeing kju)

Edited by Raptor

What ever, I hope there will be a DayZ Forum section in the official BIS-Forums too...

I don't think the admins here click "ban" that fast... Their mouse fingers would become bloody.It may send the BI admins into a rampage.

As long as the moderators could actually "keep the peace", as it were, I wouldn't see a problem with a DayZ section on the BI forums. It all really depends on that though, because the general tone of the DayZ mod forums isn't exactly conducive to a mature discussion and not something I would like to see spilling over here.

"keep the peace".

I think I'd be quiet handy there, eh Prof? ;)

How do you think the zombie AI will move inside building?

Hopefully it will be easier for players to move inside too.

How do you think the zombie AI will move inside building?

Hopefully it will be easier for players to move inside too.

Read Rocket's latest tweet:

Today I load up DayZ Standalone. FPS is stable... world looks good... zombies chasing me indoors... #lifeIsGood

Source

Also congrats to Q, now he insert the official halls of BIS. :D

Congrats to kju, that's great for him :)

I think I'd be quiet handy there, eh Prof? ;)

Yup, indeed;)

I think about the usage of the TOHK-Engine and come up with the idea that they maybe can port Seattle over to DayZ with better textures and and enterable buildings. That would be great :)

Im curious if they thought about how the area of location will be furnished. Like the population of people how many of those people had vehicles, gun's or food at home an the list of what was in the area during the outbreak? If its early then supply's should be extreme an if its been years the they would be sparse. I dunno my mind comes up with to many idea's of what was an what should be. Either way Im looking forward to the release.

I think about the usage of the TOHK-Engine and come up with the idea that they maybe can port Seattle over to DayZ with better textures and and enterable buildings. That would be great :)
Now that sounds enticing...

can't wait for dayz standalone!

Hopefully before spring!