Sign in to follow this  
jakerod

Army of the Czech Republic DLC

When I first glanced at this thread and saw summer Chernarus, I was hoping for an updated version of the whole map. But I guess only parts of it are going to be updated and packed as two separate terrains. Am I right?

I don't really care for new units. Updating the old ones (esp. OPFOR/Russians - backpacks, zero-able launchers, rifles) or creating some interiors for the existing vehicles would make me happier.

A few questions come to mind :

- What size ?

- Will this be using Silvador trees with baked shading and better LOD blending ?

- Can we hope for some improvements of Take On (Clouds namely) ?

New pics look much better. The shadows indeed seem way softer than usual...

Will there be another DLC so we can get a new retail offer like "Arma 2: Reinforcements" ?

When I first glanced at this thread and saw summer Chernarus, I was hoping for an updated version of the whole map. But I guess only parts of it are going to be updated and packed as two separate terrains. Am I right?

Why are you assuming that?

It actually looks to me as if it is going to be all of Chernarus plus more land where the sea presently is at. I could be wrong on that but that's my perception at this time. That railroad track bridge doesn't exist anywhere on the present island in that length / with those objects around it. I just hope that they make the AI able to cross the railroad bridge because presently they can't. In my opinion they're fine on the other bridges but the rail ones they refuse to cross. I too hope for some more OPFOR but don't really care that much. I could take repainted Chedaki upgraded to OA status.

Any ACTUAL army, or at least based on actual army, not generic OPFOR with iconic Soviet weapons. PLA, Iranian Army, Indian Army, Venezuelan Army, there are many good examples.

If you look at the storyline for the DLC we're probably getting more militia/guerillas.

Edited by Jakerod

It actually looks to me as if it is going to be all of Chernarus plus more land where the sea presently is at. I could be wrong on that but that's my perception at this time. That railroad track bridge doesn't exist anywhere on the present island in that length / with those objects around it. I just hope that they make the AI able to cross the railroad bridge because presently they can't. In my opinion they're fine on the other bridges but the rail ones they refuse to cross. I too hope for some more OPFOR but don't really care that much. I could take repainted Chedaki upgraded to OA status.

If you look at the storyline for the DLC we're probably getting more militia/guerillas.

God how I hope you're right. A pair of 5km terrains would be "interesting" but would just end up making for infantry skirmishes while playing the editor alone. A bigger, badder version of Chernarus would get most of my clan back into playing Warfare nightly. :D

God how I hope you're right. A pair of 5km terrains would be "interesting" but would just end up making for infantry skirmishes while playing the editor alone. A bigger, badder version of Chernarus would get most of my clan back into playing Warfare nightly. :D

Here's my evidence:

Appears to be the ruined town that is east of Novy Sobor.

Elektro

I'm fairly certain this is the big airport but I am not 100%. I don't recall the others having taxiways.

Overlooking Elektro (I think)

Elektro but in the background you can see the hill outside of Cherno

I think this is north-west of Cherno in Nadezhino or whatever. Not sure though.

So we have as far North as the main airport. As far east as Novy Sobor. Elektro and Cherno. I think it will be the whole map. They have to be square so if it goes all the way from Cherno to the North airfield it has to be most of Chernarus (South Zagoria) then. And frankly, I don't know why you wouldn't do the entire thing since all you need to do is Replace Object Autumn Tree with Summer Tree. They may have an easier way too. Then just replace the sat map and done. Then they must've added the land on the otherside of the river.

Because arma2.com does not mention upgraded Chernarus, which would be a major selling point, explicitly. Just two new terrains. I am not certain though, that's why I'm asking.

A pair of 5km terrains would be "interesting" but would just end up making for infantry skirmishes while playing the editor alone. A bigger, badder version of Chernarus would get most of my clan back into playing Warfare nightly. :D

My thoughts exactly.

Guys,

according to the screens there are going to be combat dogs. Wonder how it works.

It's clearly at least part of Chernarus upgraded. The two big towns you see are Elektro. See my last post.

Wait, if I preorder, will I get it on steam?

I have the same question. I will pre-order immediately if this is the case, otherwise I'm waiting for the Steam version.

I have the same question. I will pre-order immediately if this is the case, otherwise I'm waiting for the Steam version.

I highly doubt it would work this way — but also I would love it.

I'm buying the day one release of the Steam version for sure.

Also that brings to mind ARMA III is that a Steam release?

so many people whine there isn't enough opfor...yet..how many missions are made with the opfor we already have :rolleyes:

It's not BIS's fault - the majority of custom addons are also BLUFOR, so I think people have a natural tendency to focus on units they actual play, rather than play against. It would just be refreshing to see an OPFOR faction created with the same detail and quality as the existing DLC's. Arma2 scenarios - both MP and in the editor - are becoming increasingly stale the longer we play against the same Russians/Takistanis units. It's an overlooked gameplay element.

In my opinion, an ideal DLC release would include a BLUFOR faction, an OPFOR faction, and a new island. The problem is that no game studio will ever create Chinese, Iranian, or North Korean units (only examples) without making the game itself futuristic or in some other way completely implausible.

It's not BIS's fault - the majority of custom addons are also BLUFOR, so I think people have a natural tendency to focus on units they actual play, rather than play against. It would just be refreshing to see an OPFOR faction created with the same detail and quality as the existing DLC's. Arma2 scenarios - both MP and in the editor - are becoming increasingly stale the longer we play against the same Russians/Takistanis units. It's an overlooked gameplay element.

In my opinion, an ideal DLC release would include a BLUFOR faction, an OPFOR faction, and a new island. The problem is that no game studio will ever create Chinese, Iranian, or North Korean units (only examples) without making the game itself futuristic or in some other way completely implausible.

I think this DLC will have new guerillas, or reskinned guerillas, to represent the insurgents at large in the two new maps, if they are apart from Chernarus that is in the Armaverse. They may just be other parts of Chernarus, not South Zagoria.

Upgraded Chernarus would be very welcome. More enter-able buildings would be included I'm sure. And maybe better performance due to new methods of object construction and foliage (like in OA)

Let's hope so. Presumably that rail bridge joins the Cherno rail network somewhere along the south coast and crosses what becomes the river to the south part of the island.

---------- Post added at 19:40 ---------- Previous post was at 19:38 ----------

A bigger, badder version of Chernarus would get most of my clan back into playing Warfare nightly. :D

True fact. Right there.

I hope this isn't a separate topic, but given the subtle cues around the website and forums (for example, the recent Chernarus map advertisements - "plan your .... zombie attacks in true military style!") in addition to the Chernarus island updates, are we looking at a potential Day Z upgrade along with this DLC, or perhaps in a separate release?

Here's my evidence:

Appears to be the ruined town that is east of Novy Sobor.

Elektro

I'm fairly certain this is the big airport but I am not 100%. I don't recall the others having taxiways.

Overlooking Elektro (I think)

Elektro but in the background you can see the hill outside of Cherno

I think this is north-west of Cherno in Nadezhino or whatever. Not sure though.

So we have as far North as the main airport. As far east as Novy Sobor. Elektro and Cherno. I think it will be the whole map. They have to be square so if it goes all the way from Cherno to the North airfield it has to be most of Chernarus (South Zagoria) then. And frankly, I don't know why you wouldn't do the entire thing since all you need to do is Replace Object Autumn Tree with Summer Tree. They may have an easier way too. Then just replace the sat map and done. Then they must've added the land on the otherside of the river.

I checked out some locations in the editor for ArmA2. The green house in the woods is definitely the house at the end of the dirt road in the middle of Black Forest (slightly East of the middle of Chernarus). You can even match up the size and spread of the three tree trunks against the left side of the house. The hill is angled the same as well. The only difference is the grass in the new screenshot is shorter.

I was able to recreate the airfield scene by standing Southeast of the tower at the NW airfield and zooming in towards the hangars. While I was able to match up the exact count of window panes in the upper part of the hanger, as well as the street lamp, I'm still not sure if it says much. Airports could very well be very generic.

As for the ruins screenshot, I'm quite sure that's in Kumyrna, which is South of Guglovo (slightly South of center). It's the same asphalt road type, with the same hill in the background, with the same layout of bushes and trees.

I recommend visiting these locations in the editor and having a walk around, and zoom in with RMB where you think the shot might be taken from. It's uncanny.

Having seen this stuff ingame, I would be surprised if we weren't getting a complete summer Chernarus.

Here is the thing though. What possible OpFor is there that can possibly measure up to current bluefor? Mind you, I'm also asking for more OpFor.

China? boring, and unlikely to engage western troops.

North Korea? vastly overstated.

Iran? Towelheads with ex-soviet gear all over again. (actually a number of cold-war era license's and reverse engineered modern gear too I guess)

-k

China? boring, and unlikely to engage western troops.

That sentence from the 40's turned out horrible wrong in the 50's.

Also Iran is obviously complety underestimated in the West, they have a drone technology on par with US ones soon ;)

No Iran is really strong in drone technology and has quite capable homemade SAM and ATGM systems.

That sentence from the 40's turned out horrible wrong in the 50's.

Also Iran is obviously complety underestimated in the West, they have a drone technology on par with US ones soon ;)

No Iran is really strong in drone technology and has quite capable homemade SAM and ATGM systems.

In regards to what we have seen from the DLC though, what are the chances that the DLC would contain any big nation like that when the storyline is "Civil war in Bystrica is at its end."

The current Russians are as hard as nails in Chernarus and no pushover, especially if you are using Zeus AI.

I hope this DLC can be incorporated into ToH as I would love to have the Hinds operating alongside the new units.

Funny thing is generic FPS games can have much better setting using real countries/armies, because, well, those games don't care about "realistic" setting much. On the other hand ArmA2 have fictional countires and armies, but both devs and players are almost paranoid about making political setting as close as possible to real ones, when Battlefield 3 goes on war with modern Iran, Bad Company fights in WW3, and even Game-You-All-Know fights PLA in Afghanistan in small-scale border conflict.

Here is the thing though. What possible OpFor is there that can possibly measure up to current bluefor? Mind you, I'm also asking for more OpFor.

China? boring

Why?

Iran? Towelheads with ex-soviet gear all over again. (actually a number of cold-war era license's and reverse engineered modern gear too I guess)

You make'em sound like takistani militia. More like ex-soviet gear (Takistani reskin will do) and variety of western gear: Tomcats, Cobras, TOWs, M48, Chieftains, Scorpions, G3, MG3, some local flavour like Zulfiqar and KH2002, and quite modern-looking uniforms. And since it's 2015 (if I'm not mistaken) in Arrowhead, you could add Kontakt-5 to T-72s, so M1 would have something to fight against. Unlikely? Same goes for AK-107, SCAR-L, M1A2 in USMC service etc.

But again, even fictional country would do as long as it's different from ones we have. See fictional army in Project RACS.

Nothing will change if we refuse to think outside "armaversum" box

In regards to what we have seen from the DLC though, what are the chances that the DLC would contain any big nation like that when the storyline is "Civil war in Bystrica is at its end."

Are you suggesting new country in Green Sea region?

Edited by boota

I'm guessing a retconned chernarus, maybe normal chernarus will be updated with this?

EDIT: In RL where chernarus sea is river is. Maybe just more true to life?

Are you suggesting new country in Green Sea region?

It appears to me that these two new maps (Bystrica and Bukovina) are fictional places with one of them having a striking similarity to Chernarus but with a river and more land instead of sea. It may not be in the Green Sea region but it appears they are not real countries. Their names suggest that they could be in the Green Sea however. I suppose they could be real though. There are places with those names but they are fairly far apart but also no where near any of the mentioned OPFOR nations. Plus they don't have the real life Elektro or Cherno in them so that is an issue too.