Sign in to follow this  
-Snafu-

Operation E3

I would like to see the ocean a bit murkier/foggy. It's a little bit too transparent. But I can understand it might be a artistic decision so that combat under water is easier and, of course, the visual aspect.

Please BI guys, don't listen to people who have never been in the Mediterranean sea and dare to think they know how it is.

First hint: its not an "ocean".

Where others care about the authenticity of bolts and screws, I care about the environment.

Please BI guys, don't listen to people who have never been in the Mediterranean sea and dare to think they know how it is.

First hint: its not an "ocean".

Where others care about the authenticity of bolts and screws, I care about the environment.

Hi, have we met? I've been to Greece and the Mediterranean sea many times, and my number one thing to do while being there has always been swimming and freediving. Crete, Milos, Naxos, Paros, and my personal favorite Antiparos. Ocean was a mistranslation on my part, I can give you points for that.

The icing on the cake must be the infantry showcase for me.... cant wait for that...

I hope they will show AI that will pleasantly surprise me there.

So we see underwater, and night, but what about underwater AT night? :D

So we see underwater, and night, but what about underwater AT night? :D

Here, have some screenshots:

lighting_1_4.jpgarma3_screenshot_1205_26_4.jpgdoupe_cz_e3_2012_4_4.jpg

Man, I am so excited for this. Not only is the setting set for a huge battle, but I think with some clever scripting, it could have fast-paced linear objective based sections as well. IE. ARMA 3 + MW3 + BF3 so people will have no excuses.

Also I plan to modify this heavily or at least be on a dev team for some type of mod, my C++ could use some brushing up.

I know I am going to sound negative but....

Why is there still light emit from the handgun while running a can?

Oh and I DO HOPE that main/secondary transition animation is still work in progress, taking time to put main on the back before drawing secondary really is a nice way to commit suicide

Oh and I DO HOPE that main/secondary transition animation is still work in progress, taking time to put main on the back before drawing secondary really is a nice way to commit suicide

Yeah, that annoyed me too. It would be okay if happens only with MGs, sniper rifles and so, but for SMGs and assault rifles you should use somekind of sling. They do that for binos in A2!

because even with a can (silencer) some of the burning gases still make it out the end, regardless if it's a pistol or rifle.

what would be nice to see is barrels and "cans" mildly glowing and smoking after sustained fire. weapons overheating could be part of a new dynamic for the ArmA series.

Dynamo;2180478']because even with a can (silencer) some of the burning gases still make it out the end' date=' regardless if it's a pistol or rifle.

what would be nice to see is barrels and "cans" mildly glowing and smoking after sustained fire. weapons overheating could be part of a new dynamic for the ArmA series.[/quote']

Also cans are effected by a number of things that could create a visual report. If I recall an interesting discussion on a suppressor that was being made with a flashhider like crown built into the end of it was that while cold, the first shot through a suppressor can still emit a flash and notable sound due to oxygen rather than the gases from the gun being inside it. There's also carbon and powder build up and other things that can create flashes if the suppressor is put into heavy use.

However in the video the lighting of the suppressed pistol being fired will probably be adjusted.

Man, they're really going to drag this out over 3 weeks? Seems desperate.

Is it possibly leading up to the Alpha or is that too far away still?

Nope too far away. Perhaps trying to keep us quiet until the ACR Release? That seems more realistic but still perhaps not.

Edited by Jakerod

Dynamo;2180478']because even with a can (silencer) some of the burning gases still make it out the end' date=' regardless if it's a pistol or rifle.

what would be nice to see is barrels and "cans" mildly glowing and smoking after sustained fire. weapons overheating could be part of a new dynamic for the ArmA series.[/quote']

I know that there will still be a tiny bit of muzzle flash escape the suppressor muzzle from time to time (especially with carbon built up inside the suppressor chamber), but those are only visible within a certain angel from the front, and are not enough to light up your hand like it did in the video. I'd say this is because the new muzzle flash is still WIP and this is a bug waiting to be iron out.

Also, given the material normally used to made rifles barrels, no, you cannot make it to grow within visible light spectrum, thats physically impossible.

Edited by 4 IN 1

I know that there will still be a tiny bit of muzzle flash escape the suppressor muzzle from time to time (especially with carbon built up inside the suppressor chamber), but those are only visible within a certain angel from the front, and are not enough to light up your hand like it did in the video. I'd say this is because the new muzzle flash is still WIP and this is a bug waiting to be iron out.

Also, given the material normally used to made rifles barrels, no, you cannot make it to grow within visible light spectrum, thats physically impossible.

i have personally seen an AK barrel glow red hot and set fire to the wood hand guard, as well as an M60's barrel glow an almost purple hue and bend from overheating.

rifle barrels are made of steel. steel glows when it gets hot just like many other metals.

Great improvements my early wee hour morning missions are going to be that much more immersive and nice....

I'd consider having both a normal and a "panic" transition animation. Basically with the "panic" transition as demonstrated here, the character would instead lower the long gun using his supporting hand while drawing with the previous shooting hand; this option would support a mechanic of "faster one-handed draw but lower one-handed pistol shooting accuracy until you subsequently sling the long gun."
's another video, and

Alternately and far more commonly your character would "drop" the slung weapon -- isn't it being slung over the back in the normal animation? -- but this one doesn't have a trade-off since it results in a two-handed draw;

videos demonstrate this transition.

(There was a trend in Iraq/Afghanistan of special ops wearing a chest-mounted pistol holster, hence the video of the guy who draws from a chest rig.)

---------- Post added at 04:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 AM ----------

Man, I am so excited for this. Not only is the setting set for a huge battle, but I think with some clever scripting, it could have fast-paced linear objective based sections as well. IE. ARMA 3 + MW3 + BF3 so people will have no excuses.
The potential for this is actually what my main focus of interest in ARMA 3 gameplay changes revolves around -- could you tell me more about what you intend, and what you're basing your belief (that with clever scripting "corridor shooter" gameplay can be done in ARMA 3) on?

---------- Post added at 04:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 AM ----------

Gameplay will also need to be factored into this, hopefully resulting in some nice compromise between practical use and visual authenticity!
Thank you for understanding... unlike some of the haters of ARMA 3 complaining about it supposedly becoming arcadey.

Yeah BIS can set up the "switch to sidearm" key to be double-tapped for the "panic" mode.

That way the soldier lowers his main weapon and quickly pulls out his sidearm, shooting it with one hand only. This will produce more recoil, but it can save soldier's life.

Dynamo;2180647']i have personally seen an AK barrel glow red hot and set fire to the wood hand guard' date=' as well as an M60's barrel glow an almost purple hue and bend from overheating.

rifle barrels are made of steel. steel glows when it gets hot just like many other metals.

[url']

[/url]

I should have add "under normal using conditions", but then I was too lazy, but that is the point: If you are going to prove the point by firing 10000 rounds through the same barrel continuously while people on the field are doing short blast , you are being unrealistic.(Oh one more thing, stuff can catch fire long before the barrel start to glow red hot)

Edited by 4 IN 1

Have already turned down the transition time absolutely minimum of my acceptance. Current rifle to pistol swap time (full-animation) is 1,10 s (and you are able to fire from around 0,53 s). Therefore the current animation is a compromise between gameplay benefits and visual look (so it isnt just "take the grip and attach rifle to the slot").

Nevertheless if u liked secondary transition option, like for instance in my pvp anim pack, it would also have its limitations to be plausible (so no running with weapon hanging on a sling or very ugly hold of the weapon, should it be left in the off-hand variant animation), plus obviously it consumes a lot of resources and time which can be distributed better.

In the end - I saw a lot in ArmA gameplay over MP and I seriously doubt the majority of complainers would even take advantage of this if it was even faster. I wouldnt :)

Edited by Smookie

Makes sense.

Speaking of animations - you gotta do something about that hip shake when sprinting.

what about that strange body wrap when climing at high hills? Models look unrealistic stretched etc, can this be fixed in ArmA III?

what about that strange body wrap when climing at high hills? Models look unrealistic stretched etc, can this be fixed in ArmA III?

That would either take creating alternative movement animation sets for several possible inclinations when going up/down hill or sideways left and right on the slope.

Alternatively it would require Inverse Kinematics for entire lower half of body for all soldiers in scene, which is not feasible.

EDIT: well, alternatively you could animate each leg separately and have a modifier for ground height... Yuck.