Sign in to follow this  
-Snafu-

Operation E3

Haven't tried smookies addon either, but alone from the video i got wet pants... Now this Stuff implemented in ArmA3 and i can't say how much this enhances infantry combat, especially in CQC. Impressive! Highly!

Well what ya waitin on man -get downloading!! I'm a big SMK fan and after immediately setting the Turbo key to a side mouse button - it's already second nature burned into my muscle memory :)

Woah, I totally overlooked that part of pcgamer's preview. NVM then.

Good thing I asked that question, eh? :D

/Pride

Look up E3 videos :)

running out of keys:)

Now, here's a question that you can answer: Is there an animation for bringing up and looking through the sights (as opposed to an unrealistic camera change)? In ArmA2, the character does not bring up and look through his sights. The first person camera just changes position.

Now, here's a question that you can answer: Is there an animation for bringing up and looking through the sights (as opposed to an unrealistic camera change)? In ArmA2, the character does not bring up and look through his sights. The first person camera just changes position.

https://dev-heaven.net/issues/30635

Even if not done for AI (i assume a liitle "bit" more work), this would add immersion in MP games. You see when your buddy is actually aiming/looking through sights or just looking into a direction.

Back on topic :

[A waiter interrupts. Our food arrives.]

Waiter: Carbonara?

Hall: Thanks, man.

Waiter: Two lasagnas?

Hall: One for me.

Waiter: That’s very hot, so be careful… Your pizza’s coming.

Here is a great writeup by Evan Lahti from PCGAMER of what ALSO happened @e3

The creator of Day Z has ordered the carbonara. We’ve walked to an Italian restaurant down the street from E3—Hall’s first—and our table is circled by variously-famished Arma royalty: both of Bohemia Interactive’s Creative Directors, Jay Crowe (lasagna) and Ivan Buchta (pizza) are here. So is community star Dslyecxi (a calzone), who wrote the book on pro Arma. Hall’s wearing white DC sneakers, beat-up jeans, and a black t-shirt that asks “Anyone in Cherno?†in homemade, screen-printed letters.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/06/22/day-z-arma-3-interview-on-left-4-dead-skyrim-player-emotion-and-in-game-disease/

E3_Team-590x331.jpg

Where is the rest of the E3 demo videos on Youtube? I've been waiting for weeks!

Which ones do you mean? :) There have been several by gamestar, gamespot, everyeye, totalbiscuit, etc...

Tough if you mean the official ones by BIS, I agree absolutely! Where are they!? :p

Glorious Flashpoint is being dissed

Well, they´re correct. I play flashpoint a couple of times every month, and it -does- suck.

It even sucked back then. But it still has so many things that make it worth playing, I keep coming back. The resistance campaign -is- still one, if not THE best campaign of any Arma series game.

The thing is the harshness of OFP, the challenge, the -difficulty- were important parts of why it stuck to my memory so intensely. It was a game that made you -work- to earn your spurs. And it didn´t tell you when you earned them, because you -knew-. You knew once you managed to play the convoy ambush mission in R without loosing a man. You knew once you blew up the Shilkas without firing a shot in CWC. Perks, Achievements, Balanced armories, none of that was necessary. DayZ goes the same route: you know you cocked up because you died (or almost died.). Similarily, you know you did well, because you have an immediate reward, even if it is just a positive experience!

No major game today, outside of a few, rarely played exceptions, will actually reward you with a memorable experience. One that lasts longer than a day. Instead, they rely on cheats and trinkets.

The problem is that Buchta is fast to diss OFP but if we look at BIS campaigns since then they are subpar.

I can easily bet that in ArmA2 the most memorable missions people had are in Eagle Wing and in BAF campaigns.

EW because it had a mission very similar to one of the best CWC missions (After Montignac - where you get stranded in a forest and have to escape and there are many enemies around), BAF because it's very much like Resistance, your soldiers die for real and you can break the campaign for yourself if you are careless.

But Harvest Red? It's just CTI where you spam an enemy with tanks.

Operation Arrowhead? It's way too easy. It's like a joyride in the desert where all you do is sight-seeing and sometimes shooting white dots in your TWS.

PMC? L. O. L.

Well, they´re correct. I play flashpoint a couple of times every month, and it -does- suck.

It even sucked back then. But it still has so many things that make it worth playing, I keep coming back. The resistance campaign -is- still one, if not THE best campaign of any Arma series game.

The thing is the harshness of OFP, the challenge, the -difficulty- were important parts of why it stuck to my memory so intensely. It was a game that made you -work- to earn your spurs. And it didn´t tell you when you earned them, because you -knew-. You knew once you managed to play the convoy ambush mission in R without loosing a man. You knew once you blew up the Shilkas without firing a shot in CWC. Perks, Achievements, Balanced armories, none of that was necessary. DayZ goes the same route: you know you cocked up because you died (or almost died.). Similarily, you know you did well, because you have an immediate reward, even if it is just a positive experience!

No major game today, outside of a few, rarely played exceptions, will actually reward you with a memorable experience. One that lasts longer than a day. Instead, they rely on cheats and trinkets.

I remember GoldenEye 007 on the N64 as being one of the most memorable games ever, as do a LOT of gamers. I also think the same about Delta Force Land Warrior (not quite an OFP, more like a Ghost Recon, but had large maps, tactical gameplay). But, going back and looking at those games now, they DO suck. Because it's always relative to the games that were out at that time. The one thing those games had in common though was that the game was more about gameplay than it was about story, which is kinda what was said in the interview. It's also one of the reasons that the ArmA series is my favorite. Reminds me of the old games, where gameplay, not story, drives the game. I do like games with stories, but story without good gameplay isn't that great. Only reason I like MOH2010, really.

I think they really misunderstood when we said we love CWC and Resistance campaign, what we love is the connection with the characters, the the fear of assuming that there is an enemy unit behind every bush and the open approach to almost every mission, which drives you to take a different approach every time you replay. And the campaign is LONG! Much longer then every campaign BI create later titles.

Also about the EVE Players, YES, we love exploit, but that is because we know something is broken that developers have to fix it, and given the fact that every inch of the map is equivalent to EVE LOW SEC spac, there is nothing you can help about ganging, OH and we REALLY LIKE TEARS, especially those from carebears and bandits.:p

Edited by 4 IN 1

But OFP and Res had a story. More so tan most shooters at the time.

Can you even remember who the villain was in original Rainbow 6? What was the story in Land Warrior or SWAT3? You get the point.

Also about the EVE Players, YES, we love exploit, but that is because we know something is broken that developers have to fix it

You are just hindering the development of mod. You are ruining your own fun. You will likely trigger a temporary fix that will bite you hard. I don't even play the mod but yea, this is why they mentioned you, because EVE has tainted you. You no longer sound like a sensible individual...

You have not given Rocket any money yet and you already tell him what his job is. At the same time EVE is pay to play and the developers are powerless from what I have heard...

I myself am playing through ArmA: Cold War Assault (OFP:CWC) at the moment and I can't be bothered with opinions, because that is what they are - opinions, everyone has them, even good 'ol Ivan.

But OFP and Res had a story. More so tan most shooters at the time.

Can you even remember who the villain was in original Rainbow 6? What was the story in Land Warrior or SWAT3? You get the point.

You are just hindering the development of mod. You are ruining your own fun. You will likely trigger a temporary fix that will bite you hard. I don't even play the mod but yea, this is why they mentioned you, because EVE has tainted you. You no longer sound like a sensible individual...

You have not given Rocket any money yet and you already tell him what his job is. At the same time EVE is pay to play and the developers are powerless from what I have heard...

You see, there is the difference, a lot of time bug hunting is more or less exploits to the point where the game is broken in order to find possible cause of what breaks it, then report it so developers can fix it, or at worse bypass it, WE are more then happy if the developers can plug up the loopholes so that people can play normally when the game/mod is complete, bottom line is alpha and beta are expected to have bugs and loopholes that makes people cannot enjoy the game. And if you do not intentionally try to find those problems you are failing your part as beta testers.

4 IN 1. Repeatedly using the same exploit to mess with players is not part of the said discovery process. Find bug or exploit, report it, move on...

This sounds to me like an impregnable excuse to be a cheater.

Are you saying EVE players think exploiting MORE will somehow mean the issue is dealt with FASTER?

EvE can just hire workers and have them manually ban people and do database edits, which is how all MMO handle it btw... You are grasping.

The way it is now the team actively is the referee in server ban case. I think that's enough busy work for now. You are lucky there is a second instance, btw. In games like BF3 they just tell you to go play on different server.

Cheating is when you use the loophole more than once and to your advantage... or to troll the developers.

We do stuff different in ArmA. Usually Bugtracker or forum gets it solved.

I don't see a point in further "testing" exploits on other players. I asked you to explain but you failed that task. Sounds to me you just took the comments about EvE players from the interview personally and felt offended.

I'll stop responding since this is getting too offtopic and because I see you either missed the point or ignored it. Or you were writing your post as a joke and phrased it wrong.

But on second read it appears to me EVE philosophy for fixing things in ArmA is "troll hard, make the problem bigger, bad blood helps solve it faster".

Well the second part of the interview is up:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/06/23/day-z-arma-3-interview-optimization-map-design-radios-porting-day-z-into-arma-3/

And here is the reason why we can't have "ALL THE THINGS":

Ivan Buchta: Well, it’s like… The gamer with a cheap hard drive and an excellent graphics card, things like that, he may suffer from the weakest part of the hardware, which is just getting the data into the GPU…

Dean Hall:: We don’t run supercomputers. None of our computers seem particularly amazing in Brno, anyway.

Crowe: We sit on gold thrones…

EDIT:

Also this was interesting:

Buchta: It was partly our fault, because optimization of course was something I’d definitely like to do… We planned a four-week sprint towards some better mapping… I’ve mentioned to our lead programmer, just some classified information, we’d like to expand the Chernarus theme in the Arma 3 engine, partly because of Dean’s zombies, partly because it’s a good map and we know it. We can get the data real cheap and we already have a working basis, so there will be more realistic terrain and new vegetation. And I’m also trying to push all those environment-related things like underground structures, bridges, better handling of water, power lines, many things which were omitted.

If I've understood it he's talking about adding this stuff to Chernarus...does that mean it is already in Lemnos?

Edited by .Taffy

Guys go and play the CWR2 Campaign Demo in Arma 2. It is awesome and I can´t wait to get my hands on the Resistance campaign, if they manage to port it, because the R campaign was simply the best. Now go and reinstall OFP. It sucks indeed. Graphics, game mechanics and many more stuff have changed since OFP but the missions are still awesome if played on a upt to date engine.

Well the second part of the interview is up:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/06/23/day-z-arma-3-interview-optimization-map-design-radios-porting-day-z-into-arma-3/

And here is the reason why we can't have "ALL THE THINGS":

EDIT:

Also this was interesting:

If I've understood it he's talking about adding this stuff to Chernarus...does that mean it is already in Lemnos?

What it sounds like is that there will be some sort of DLC with terrain that's similar to Chernarus, hence the phrase Chernarus "theme". Either that, or some Greek terrain with added forests. I think it's the former, though. He says that they can get the data real cheap (different than data on Chernarus), more realistic terrain, new vegetation, and they have a working basis. Sounds like it will be a new island or terrain. So, not adding to Chernarus, but bringing in a Chernarus-like map for ArmA3; could be a Greek island or terrain, could be European, but I expect it's a Greek terrain with Chernarus-like terrain features and vegetation.

A good analysis. Making it greek would certainly help reduce the work to do with buildings, though I do think it likely that this could be a port of it as a European terrain, especially with the expansion that's supposedly coming in the ACR dlc.

From the sounds of it, they got (Or are close to getting at the very least) underground structures working and are making Chernarus larger (Judging by what they said about getting "the data real cheap" and making it more realistic).