Sign in to follow this  
-Snafu-

Operation E3

Would make sense to do it the same as Carrier Command. (Pay and Contribute)

hm... what about animations for stacionary weapons and stuff (M2, boarded machineguns, TOWs)? Are they planned?

Which again shows how much worse AI became. Instead of crawling under the bush enemies were just running on top of the hill like idiots. Whereas in previous games running forward to enemies and away from your squad would've been deadly - here the dude basically solo'ed half of the mission (and most likely the other half too considering how awful AI is). And this is from the campaign no less.

I don't think you have any idea on how military operations are conducted. You only crawl if you want to avoid detection. In a standard squad attack on an enemy position, you don't crouch when you're assaulting. You are most definitely standing up. Not to mention, it's a mortar position, so it's not that many enemy forces.

hm... what about animations for stacionary weapons and stuff (M2, boarded machineguns, TOWs)? Are they planned?

Good question! Are we still getting the ghost handling or will IK play a role here?

I don't think you have any idea on how military operations are conducted. You only crawl if you want to avoid detection. In a standard squad attack on an enemy position, you don't crouch when you're assaulting. You are most definitely standing up. Not to mention, it's a mortar position, so it's not that many enemy forces.

He doesnt have ANY about military operations, shooting drills, shooting stances...I better stop here.

OK Please explain what PACA is?

Play and contribute Alpha

or

Pay and contribute Alpha?

Pay As much as you Can Afford :)

What? Not sure I understand you. In combat you are supposed to stand up? I find that hard to believe. What exactly do you mean?

These are the specs for the system NVIDIA kindly provided us with. Madcatz provided us with the peripherals, including the mouse (R.A.T. 3), which was cool, too.

Disclaimer: I have no affliliation with any of the hardware providers mentioned below, I'm not any particular authority on such topics, am I not being paid thousands of dollars to promote them (although.. if they're reading... :p), nor would I guarantee the game will run the same way at launch as it did on the videos. Because, of course, it'll run even better, right?!

Anecdotally, we were nicely impressed with how the game felt running; although, there was no time to do any proper analyasis of performance, and inside the presentation display cabinets it would get quite hot, which led to some instability.

Operating System: Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1

Processor: Intel® Core i7 CPU 970 @ 3.20GHz (12 CPUs), ~3.2GHz

Memory: 12288MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580

Monitor Model: V3D245

Disk Model: C300-CTF DDAC256MAG SCSI Disk Device

In terms of our setup, we forgot to copy our config before the PCs were canabalized, so we're sorry about that. Generally I'd say:

Viewdistance: around 3km; varied a little between pcs

objDraw: around 2.5-2.7 km; varied a little between pcs

shadow draw: around 300m; varied.

quality settings: everything at least on high; textures very high, i think terrain quality, too.

Need to head to the airport now; hopefully that gives you guys an idea where we're at/ material to start flamewars about hardware vendors :)

Best,

RiE

I'm screwed, my system is getting old! My processor is definetly starting to show its age.

Proc: Intel Q6600 @ 3.0Ghz

Ram: 4GB DDR2

GPU: GTX 560 TI

I feel like arma 3 isn't going to run the best haha.

What? Not sure I understand you. In combat you are supposed to stand up? I find that hard to believe. What exactly do you mean?

Trained as cannon-fodder ;-)

*Just Joking*

@RIE: Nice Setup... Totally affordable by 2013, or even better stuff.

I'm coming from a U.S. Army perspective here, not sure if other nations do it differently. In a standard squad assault, in which you have an assaulting element and a supporting element (both fire teams), when you are setup in a position to assault, and when the assaulting fire team (along with the squad leader) begins the attack, the supporting and assaulting teams are prone, each team forming a line (usually an L shape, where each team makes up one leg of that L-shape), laying down suppressive fire. When the assaulting team moves through the objective, they stand up, and move through the objective (while they maintain their line formation) at a speed and stance very much like the tactical pace. When they move through and reach their predetermined limit of advance (LOA), then the supporting team stands up and moves through the objective in the same fashion until they reach their LOA. The L shape is there so that, when the teams move through the objective, they cross the path the other team made, and they do this to ensure that the enemy is dead. No, in that video you did not see a squad attack like this, but the principle is that you DO stand up when you are assaulting an enemy position. The only time you don't stand up, that is, the only time you are prone, is if you are conducting an ambush, and you want to surprise the enemy. Assaulting a mortar position (usually consisting of 2 men manning the mortar and 1 or 2 men guarding the mortar position) does not require stealth.

And, just to put to rest this myth that you always want stealth. You don't. You don't always need stealth. In most military operations, you are not trying to be stealthy. Yes, when you are still (not moving), you want to go prone. But if you are assaulting, moving forward, you will stand up, not crouch. Why? When you are assaulting an enemy position, you will want to move as fast as possible to take that objective. You still catch the enemy off guard by attacking their position, but you move fast to do so. The faster you move to eliminate them, the less time they have to react to your attack. Standing up, and using what ArmA3 calls the "tactical pace" is the fastest way to do so while remaining as accurate as possible. Crouching would be too slow. Yes, this is U.S. Army SOP (standard operating procedure) FM 3-21.8. Here is the section on what we are discussing, a Movement to Contact Battle Drill. This might help the devs as well. It goes over everything - different types of attacks, ambushes, raids, clearing rooms and hallways. For you non-military people who think you know about military operations, read this.

What he means is that running in the open under fire is how iranian soldiers are drilled to fight because they are that awesome.

Of course them dying almost instantly in that video because they were behaving like that is just a coincidence.

If you think that you should hit the dirt when under fire you clearly don't know what you don't know. True soldiers face bullet storm like real men.

And, just to put to rest this myth that you always want stealth. You don't. You don't always need stealth.

So when you have dozens of bullets flying your way and you try to avoid being hit it's called "stealth" in your view? LOL

Clearly somebody here believes that real war is like they show you in CoD and it's not me.

Edited by metalcraze

Have somme question about your parteners in E3.

I saw in some video the Madzcat logo and Nvidia. You can tell more about us and all products who have use in booth ?

That the best choice to play Arma?

What he means is that running in the open under fire is how iranian soldiers are drilled to fight because they are that awesome.

Of course them dying almost instantly in that video because they were behaving like that is just a coincidence.

If you think that you should hit the dirt when under fire you clearly don't know what you don't know. True soldiers face bullet storm like real men.

So when you have dozens of bullets flying your way and you try to avoid being hit it's called "stealth" in your view? LOL

Clearly somebody here believes that real war is like they show you in CoD and it's not me.

When you are assaulting an enemy position, the ASSAULTING ELEMENT (in this case, the BLUFOR) will STAND UP as they assault. I'm not talking about the Iranians. Real war is taking cover when under fire (whether that's prone, not really cover, or behind an object, real cover). But that's in relation to the defending force, and more applicable to a fortified position with walls and other objects that provide sufficient cover. Grass isn't cover by the way. It's concealment, but hiding would do the enemy no good.The player, with his AI team leader and team, shouldn't be prone when assaulting the mortar position. They should be standing up. Honestly, the enemy forces should have been trying to flank the attacking force. You've got this idea that the first thing you try to do in an engagement is to run and hide. The enemy should have been moving to one side of the friendly attackers, and should have tried to envelope them and counter-attack.

I'm not arguing with you that the AI are still pretty dumb like in ArmA2. But what you suggested isn't right. They shouldn't try to hide under a bush. The running around part was only at the beginning, where they were responding correctly. They were getting, and should get, into a position where they can return fire, which is what they were doing.

Edited by antoineflemming

I just want to thank the devs one more time for their efforts. You are pretty much the only developers that have this much hands on involvement with it's community. While some are definitely ungrateful I can assure you a lot of us do notice your continued efforts and value just how unique of a company you represent. That alone will compell me to buy everything you release just on that principle alone!

It's been fun following the BIS E3 experience! Can't wait for many more years!

Keep it up!

Yes, this is U.S. Army SOP (standard operating procedure) FM 3-21.8. Here is the section on what we are discussing, a Movement to Contact Battle Drill.

Thanks for the insight. Those URLs are now bookmarked. Much appreciated.

I just want to thank the devs one more time for their efforts. You are pretty much the only developers that have this much hands on involvement with it's community. While some are definitely ungrateful I can assure you a lot of us do notice your continued efforts and value just how unique of a company you represent. That alone will compell me to buy everything you release just on that principle alone!

It's been fun following the BIS E3 experience! Can't wait for many more years!

Keep it up!

I completely agree.

Thanks for the insight. Those URLs are now bookmarked. Much appreciated.

No problem.

I just want to thank the devs one more time for their efforts. You are pretty much the only developers that have this much hands on involvement with it's community. While some are definitely ungrateful I can assure you a lot of us do notice your continued efforts and value just how unique of a company you represent.

I don't usually post many comments, but hell yeah, i totally agree with this. Keep up the good work, BIS!

@antoineflemming: Interesting! Thanks for the links.

I don't usually post many comments, but hell yeah, i totally agree with this. Keep up the good work, BIS!

@antoineflemming: Interesting! Thanks for the links.

E3 has been worth it for this 16 minute presentation alone - http://e3.gamespot.com/video/6381268/arma-3-demonstration

Flawless, bravo. I can't wait to see your... tank battles in August, or whenever GamesCon is. :icon_twisted:

in41RSxgPyPoy.png

These are the specs for the system NVIDIA kindly provided us with. Madcatz provided us with the peripherals, including the mouse (R.A.T. 3), which was cool, too.

Disclaimer: I have no affliliation with any of the hardware providers mentioned below, I'm not any particular authority on such topics, am I not being paid thousands of dollars to promote them (although.. if they're reading... :p), nor would I guarantee the game will run the same way at launch as it did on the videos. Because, of course, it'll run even better, right?!

Anecdotally, we were nicely impressed with how the game felt running; although, there was no time to do any proper analyasis of performance, and inside the presentation display cabinets it would get quite hot, which led to some instability.

Operating System: Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1

Processor: Intel® Core i7 CPU 970 @ 3.20GHz (12 CPUs), ~3.2GHz

Memory: 12288MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580

Monitor Model: V3D245

Disk Model: C300-CTF DDAC256MAG SCSI Disk Device

In terms of our setup, we forgot to copy our config before the PCs were canabalized, so we're sorry about that. Generally I'd say:

Viewdistance: around 3km; varied a little between pcs

objDraw: around 2.5-2.7 km; varied a little between pcs

shadow draw: around 300m; varied.

quality settings: everything at least on high; textures very high, i think terrain quality, too.

Need to head to the airport now; hopefully that gives you guys an idea where we're at/ material to start flamewars about hardware vendors :)

Best,

RiE

Muahahaha. Everything very high here I come!

i5 2500k

Crossfire Radeon 5870x2 1GB VRAM

16GB DDR3 RAM

Lol I even have W7 enterprise but it's pretty useless lol

Only thing it has that I don't is an SSD...

From the above specs stated, with the framerates shown, it's even less demanding than ARMA 2 lol

I'm not talking about the Iranians.

Well I was talking about iranians in case you missed that. Since videos didn't show what BLUFOR was doing - only iranians dying like flies due to stupidity.

I'm coming from a U.S. Army perspective here, not sure if other nations do it differently. In a standard squad assault, in which you have an assaulting element and a supporting element (both fire teams), when you are setup in a position to assault, and when the assaulting fire team (along with the squad leader) begins the attack, the supporting and assaulting teams are prone, each team forming a line (usually an L shape, where each team makes up one leg of that L-shape), laying down suppressive fire. When the assaulting team moves through the objective, they stand up, and move through the objective (while they maintain their line formation) at a speed and stance very much like the tactical pace. When they move through and reach their predetermined limit of advance (LOA), then the supporting team stands up and moves through the objective in the same fashion until they reach their LOA. The L shape is there so that, when the teams move through the objective, they cross the path the other team made, and they do this to ensure that the enemy is dead. No, in that video you did not see a squad attack like this, but the principle is that you DO stand up when you are assaulting an enemy position. The only time you don't stand up, that is, the only time you are prone, is if you are conducting an ambush, and you want to surprise the enemy. Assaulting a mortar position (usually consisting of 2 men manning the mortar and 1 or 2 men guarding the mortar position) does not require stealth.

And, just to put to rest this myth that you always want stealth. You don't. You don't always need stealth. In most military operations, you are not trying to be stealthy. Yes, when you are still (not moving), you want to go prone. But if you are assaulting, moving forward, you will stand up, not crouch. Why? When you are assaulting an enemy position, you will want to move as fast as possible to take that objective. You still catch the enemy off guard by attacking their position, but you move fast to do so. The faster you move to eliminate them, the less time they have to react to your attack. Standing up, and using what ArmA3 calls the "tactical pace" is the fastest way to do so while remaining as accurate as possible. Crouching would be too slow. Yes, this is U.S. Army SOP (standard operating procedure) FM 3-21.8. Here is the section on what we are discussing, a Movement to Contact Battle Drill. This might help the devs as well. It goes over everything - different types of attacks, ambushes, raids, clearing rooms and hallways. For you non-military people who think you know about military operations, read this.

Okay thanks for that explanation. I understand that when assaulting you should be standing and moving not crawling or even crouched (both are far to tiring and the "stealth" they give is quite useless in a firefight as speed > stealth)... and the blufor actually seemed to be assaulting the enemy pretty well in the vid... But the Iranians on the other hand were not so hot. They seemed to be running around with no real direction on the hill, when in fact they are supposed to be defending it. Defending it would involve placing yourself in concealment or hard cover and making yourself as small a target as possible - in this terrain that would mean going prone. I think you can and do agree with that no? A long time problem for ai in arma is how to actually defend something.

But also, when it comes to maneuvres like the one you described, it is essential to first gain fire superiority is it not? That way when your assaulting team is moving in a standing stance (which is very exposed) you are not under fire. What then would be the standard procedure, if an advancing team came under some serious fire while advancing, and had only reached let's say half their LOA? I believe it would be something to the effect of hit the deck, return fire and get to cover, if its within reasonable distance. Correct me if I'm wrong I know you have more knowledge than I on the matter. This howeever the ai doesn't do and is one of my biggest gripes with them. When they assault, if they come under fire they don't stop, take cover and regain fire superiority before once again trying to advance. That just keep on assaulting. Right now their tactics resemble that more of the human wave, which I believe is almost as far from US tactics as is possible to get.

Anyways, I just hope that Bi don't just leave ai "as is" and will try to make some improvements in arma 3. I would be very disappointed if the ai improvements from the betas is all we are going to get from a3... although this sounds kind of like the plan. I don't believe they need to make the ai super genius but there are still a huge host of common sense problems regarding the ai that I think are neccesary to fix. Ie. if a building is nearby, get in and shoot out of it.

Well I was talking about iranians in case you missed that. Since videos didn't show what BLUFOR was doing - only iranians dying like flies due to stupidity.

BLUFOR AI=OPFOR AI

As it should be. Although now we've got all that tactical pace, magpul stuff, the need for variation on the part of irregulars becomes greater.

I'm screwed, my system is getting old! My processor is definetly starting to show its age.

Proc: Intel Q6600 @ 3.0Ghz

Ram: 4GB DDR2

GPU: GTX 560 TI

I feel like arma 3 isn't going to run the best haha.

Yeah were both in a sinking ship! :eek:

I wonder who will be able to run the game at 20km view distance holy cow!