Sign in to follow this  
-Snafu-

Operation E3

Remember my yesterdays claim?

Now guess how fcking long i searched for the proof... Jesus Christ xD

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?130175-Translator-required/page2&p=2092230#post2092230

Im Quoting the translator "myshaak":

Your "proof" is 5 months old. While that may still be the case, 5 months is a lot of time to tweak things.

Your "proof" is 5 months old. While that may still be the case, 5 months is a lot of time to tweak things.

Yes right, i just posted it because i said i will post something that proofs my claim.

Hopefully in the final such speeds will not be the case, but lets wait for the alpha how that turns out and what the community thinks.

those are the same speeds for A2 as well. I have someplace a test mission showing of speed on your hud, and those go up to 28kmh irc.

That said, if those speeds wouldn't be hardcoded, so that one could alter it, would be already a pretty good start. in a2/oa, there is nothing one can do about it. While animation speeds can be lowered, the speed of movement cannot. Neither can those be adjusted, hence ACE black out feature instead of a different implementation.

if those speeds wouldn't be hardcoded, so that one could alter it, would be already a pretty good start.

Is that at all likely to happen or is there some "engine limitation" that makes it difficult to do. Because this would be a really awesome ability to have, as even arma 2 movement is far to fast in my opinion. Would the new fatigue system possibly make this any more likely to be implemented?

Guys, speed movement mods are easy. We already have them.

The problem is, small, personal preference tweak mods (movement speed, bloody screen, etc) are unlikely to become widely popular, and therefore will rarely be usable in MP. Best to get at these annoyances in an official capacity during the Alpha.

Really? I find that hard to believe, because if it was wouldn't ace have a better fatigue system? could you point me to one.

Edited by -Coulum-

I don't know the names of any, but there was one that rearranges the ratio of A2 movement speeds.

It makes sense that ACE can't affect the same changes on the fly, according to real-time stamina. They are always leery of the stability and reliability of their scripted solutions, after all.

I really hope that Jay Crowe meant that the new stamina system will allow us to force walking rather than running, and stuff.

Guys, speed movement mods are easy. We already have them.

The problem is, small, personal preference tweak mods (movement speed, bloody screen, etc) are unlikely to become widely popular, and therefore will rarely be usable in MP. Best to get at these annoyances in an official capacity during the Alpha.

no, get your facts straight. You can adjust the speed of animation, NOT the speed of movement. Trust me, i tried to do it when i was part of ace, i even sent suma a pm. it is...NOT possible. don't believe me, try it yourself, i'd love to see you prove me and suma wrong.

no, get your facts straight. You can adjust the speed of animation, NOT the speed of movement. Trust me, i tried to do it when i was part of ace, i even sent suma a pm. it is...NOT possible. don't believe me, try it yourself, i'd love to see you prove me and suma wrong.

I just read the the addon maker's thread on this forum. He claimed to have changed the ratio of movement speeds (crawling, walking, running) from 1:2:4 to 1:2:3.

I just read the the addon maker's thread on this forum. He claimed to have changed the ratio of movement speeds (crawling, walking, running) from 1:2:4 to 1:2:3.

so i guess YOU haven't tried to change the configs YOURSELF, have you?

can you at least provide the link to the said addon maker?

Rg has done this, I've used it and it worked as described.

As far as E3 and ArmA3 feedback - I don't have much to say that hasn't been covered well elsewhere. It was quite cool to be able to hang out with Ivan, Jay, Dean, etc, and I'm still very hyped about what ArmA3 will mean for us in the future. I'm glad to see it's been pushed back to 2013 - I always want BIS to take as much time as possible on their games. Some people nitpick various elements and get wrapped up in the small stuff (bloody screen as one example)... eh, to each his own. I love what has been done with the controls and movement. Having proper mouse response in a BIS game is awesome and those who fret about it "turning everything into a twitch fest" are really off the mark. The new weapon sway/stamina influences on aiming are great, modular weapons and gear is awesome, the new sounds - especially for the AH-9 - are punchy and powerful, the improved HDR/lighting/etc makes for wonderfully atmospheric scenes, and overall it's a great step forward for the series. Considering that we're at least six months away from launch, I'm really excited to see what the final product is like. I remember ArmA1 months from launch, and ArmA2 the same - neither was as far along as ArmA3 already is, and it makes the future that much more exciting of a prospect.

Also, for anyone that pooh-poohs DayZ's influence on all things ArmA - boy, have you missed the big picture. DayZ is one of the best things that has ever happened to this series and we will all reap great benefits from it. The future is going to be wonderful. :)

he new weapon sway/stamina influences on aiming are great

Do mind elaborating on what the weapon sway mechanics were. In the E3 vids I couldn't really see any sway. How exactly does it work, and how does it differ from a2. Thanks.

Edited by -Coulum-

I don't know why you're being so pissy about this.

I have simply read an addon release thread about changing movement speeds on this forum. I didn't download it, and it's just a thread, so obviously I don't have a link. You're welcome to look for it if you feel the need to prove me wrong. Maybe the addon maker was misleading.

Edited by maturin

As far as E3 and ArmA3 feedback - I don't have much to say that hasn't been covered well elsewhere. It was quite cool to be able to hang out with Ivan, Jay, Dean, etc, and I'm still very hyped about what ArmA3 will mean for us in the future. I'm glad to see it's been pushed back to 2013 - I always want BIS to take as much time as possible on their games. Some people nitpick various elements and get wrapped up in the small stuff (bloody screen as one example)... eh, to each his own. I love what has been done with the controls and movement. Having proper mouse response in a BIS game is awesome and those who fret about it "turning everything into a twitch fest" are really off the mark. The new weapon sway/stamina influences on aiming are great, modular weapons and gear is awesome, the new sounds - especially for the AH-9 - are punchy and powerful, the improved HDR/lighting/etc makes for wonderfully atmospheric scenes, and overall it's a great step forward for the series. Considering that we're at least six months away from launch, I'm really excited to see what the final product is like. I remember ArmA1 months from launch, and ArmA2 the same - neither was as far along as ArmA3 already is, and it makes the future that much more exciting of a prospect.

Also, for anyone that pooh-poohs DayZ's influence on all things ArmA - boy, have you missed the big picture. DayZ is one of the best things that has ever happened to this series and we will all reap great benefits from it. The future is going to be wonderful. :)

Great wording man. Jay said it himself in the GameTrailers video's that DayZ is great for the series and everyone will benefit from it's development.

Anyway, I've been trying to extract an answer from the devs regarding the gear customization, but they are keeping it hush hush, so I thought I'd ask you since you were there. Are individual parts of the gear modular, by that I mean can the player attach extras on headgear or vests?

Thanks Dslyecxi. I agree, this will be an excellent step for the community, ArmA, and BI. The future is indeed exciting. If only it would come quicker.

Here is an observation I made. You can see that the guy on the right is wearing a tactical bandolier and that the torso section of his combat fatigue is colored dark brown'ish, compared to the other fatigues we have seen until now which have the torso section colored white'ish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8YCanejgDk&t=43s

Nothing breathtaking, but hey +1 for diversity :)

Anyway, I've been trying to extract an answer from the devs regarding the gear customization, but they are keeping it hush hush, so I thought I'd ask you since you were there. Are individual parts of the gear modular, by that I mean can the player attach extras on headgear or vests?

Hello, the gear system is not THAT elaborate. In Arma 3, you would be able to change your uniform (with certain limitations to sides), "vest" (= load bearing equipment sets) and headgear items. This may not sem as too much, but it is just enough to provide you with freedom of choise regarding the character customization and controllable interfaces.

Hello, the gear system is not THAT elaborate. In Arma 3, you would be able to change your uniform (with certain limitations to sides), "vest" (= load bearing equipment sets) and headgear items. This may not sem as too much, but it is just enough to provide you with freedom of choise regarding the character customization and controllable interfaces.

Eyewear is separate from headgear, though, right?

good news, thank you for clarification. although some of purepassion's dreams have just been broken :icon_twisted:

One last question. This gear here:

arma3e3customizablebody.jpg

I understand nothing is really customizable on the load-bearing vest itself. That said, in the same way that NVGs, separate gear items than the helmet, appear on the helmet, do certain items appear on the vest? Or, in other words, are the pouches on the back of the combat vest (seen above) representative of items in the player's inventory? OR, to put it a third way, is the vest seen above a different vest than the combat vest seen below, or are both the same vest? An answer to either question would be sufficient, especially answers to the second, or even third question.

arma3e3customizablebody.jpg

You adjust speed of the movement within the animation file. It has nothing to do with the engine (well not directly). In fact the speed itself in ArmA comes from the mocap and retargeting of the mocap actor to video game character. So if the feet dont slide, that means the dude who did the mocap is capable of running with such speed.

Thank you Edge. Don't worry, I am satisfied with what we got now, it was just pure curiosity :)

Eyewear is separate from headgear, though, right?

I am also curious about this as I've seen a bunch of new eye wear and it would be great if it were equitable in game (as seen in ACE)

Cheers!

You adjust speed of the movement within the animation file. It has nothing to do with the engine (well not directly). In fact the speed itself in ArmA comes from the mocap and retargeting of the mocap actor to video game character. So if the feet dont slide, that means the dude who did the mocap is capable of running with such speed.

So does the issue of the fast speed come in with the duration of that run? Like, is it just that the mocap actor can run that speed, or that the mocap actor can run that speed within a certain time, after which he slows down? Because, what I suspect is that the real issue isn't really the speed of the run/sprint, but the duration of it.

@ALL: I bet that if the time it takes for the character to slow his sprint to a jog/slow run is decreased (that is, being able to sprint for a shorter time period), then the sprint/run speed would seem more realistic.

---------- Post added at 18:21 ---------- Previous post was at 18:18 ----------

Thank you Edge. Don't worry, I am satisfied with what we got now, it was just pure curiosity :)

I am also curious about this as I've seen a bunch of new eye wear and it would be great if it were equitable in game (as seen in ACE)

Cheers!

What do you mean it would be great if it were equippable in game as seen in ACE? It would be great if eye wear worked the same way it does in ArmA2. Headgear should be an additional feature. It shouldn't replace eyewear. Eyewear should function the same. Without NVGs, it's on the face. Turning on NVGs makes the eyewear disappear. Thing is, now we don't have to cheat and make headgear that is really eyewear, meaning it won't disappear when turning on NVGs.

Still different loadouts bring different sprint distances before becoming ineffective. So others have to wait up to keep the team effective (i guess). I dont think we see the full reality from the presentation videos.